HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Caps Fan

Old
05-27-2013, 12:18 PM
mighty all the way

vCash: 500
New Caps Fan

So for this upcoming season I want to start following an Eastern Conference team too. Whenever I watch Caps games I end up cheering for them. I know the general stuff about them that most NHL fans know, but I've only seen the games that are played on NBCSPN and I plan on getting NHL Gamecenter or CenterIce, but not sure which one yet. I was wondering if you guys could give me a breakdown on what the team might look like this next year, and what's the best Caps beat writers to read.

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 12:57 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Welcome!

The team is going to look essentially the same as it does this year, minus Ribeiro and Schultz, most likely. As for beat writers, they're sort of in flux right now with Whyno leaving, McNally's paper dissolving, etc... Katie Carrera looks like she will still be here, but she's not great. Sky Kerstein will likely still be here. Someone will probably replace Whyno at the Times. Dunno yet, essentially. If you're looking for stuff from this past season, McNally won Sportswriter of the Year (DC) this season.

Also, we fight about Boudreau a lot, so you're likely in for a treat.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:33 PM
mighty all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Welcome!

The team is going to look essentially the same as it does this year, minus Ribeiro and Schultz, most likely. As for beat writers, they're sort of in flux right now with Whyno leaving, McNally's paper dissolving, etc... Katie Carrera looks like she will still be here, but she's not great. Sky Kerstein will likely still be here. Someone will probably replace Whyno at the Times. Dunno yet, essentially. If you're looking for stuff from this past season, McNally won Sportswriter of the Year (DC) this season.

Also, we fight about Boudreau a lot, so you're likely in for a treat.
Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, its funny all season long in the Anaheim forum was "Changing the lines again? It will work though, in Boudreau we trust!" then after we lost to Detroit it was "Stop changing the damn lines!".

mighty all the way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 01:38 PM
G3 LesPaul

Leave while you still have a chance

G3 LesPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:11 PM
Mika Zibanejad
Free the Oppressed

im a sens fan who cant help but to cheer on the capitals, i really don't know what it is about them, that i like more then any other team,

Ovie is just god damn amazing and hes up their on my favourite players list, guys one of the few russians who has hart, and get shat on by the media.

Mika Zibanejad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:19 PM
Foy

Run. Run while you can.

Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 02:50 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Run. Run while you can.
Don't waste your life on the Caps. Check back when we get a new owner.

Meantime:

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
05-27-2013, 07:02 PM
Carlzner
Who's Zed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senz View Post
im a sens fan who cant help but to cheer on the capitals, i really don't know what it is about them, that i like more then any other team,

Ovie is just god damn amazing and hes up their on my favourite players list, guys one of the few russians who has hart, and get shat on by the media.
Pun intended?

Carlzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 10:40 AM
Chester Copperpot
Rookie User

www.russianmachineneverbreaks.com is fantastic and www.japersrink.com is okay, too if you are into blogs with hockey senses of humor. I think japersrink is more of a kiss-ass blog that puckers up to Leonsis too much.

I really liked Whyno, too bad he's leaving. McNally was excellent but he may stick around since there are other papers in town where some of the WaTimes sports writers are going. I agree Katie Carrera is not very good. Greg Wyshinski writes the Puck Daddy for yahoo sports and he's based out of Washington, DC, so every now and then he puts out some decent Caps stuff.

What to keep an eye on for me is who makes the team. This is a bit of a transition period for the Caps where we are going from a finesse team to more of a tough style of hockey that'll be needed to be successful for realignment. We have a lot of "C" grade players in roles where we should have "A" and "B" grade players and no one has the money with the salary cap lowering to do much about it.
---You'll also want to keep an eye on whether or not Mike Ribeiro re-signs. If not, we'll likely be in the market for a 2C.
----We have some promising youth at defense and should see Dmitri Orlov up full time next year. We have some 3rd and 4th line guys who may show up to that have potential to do a little more, especially Tom Wilson. Hey may be down at Hershey though.
-----A lot of this flux comes from the terrible disorganization from Geroge McPhee, our General Manager. Who has been the General Manager of this team since I was in High School and now I'm less than a decade away from retiring from government work and I've fired people myself for producing more than he has. But I digress.

One of our (at least for me) bigger dramas is Geno Kuznetsov... our 1st round pick from 2010. He's considered the best player in the world not in the NHL by many and he's kind of been a bit of a princess about playing here. It looks like after the Olympics he may try to come (if his KHL contract allows it) and finish out the season. He'll "definitely" be here in 2014-2015, though.

Our (at least my) biggest gripes are probably that our owner sucks and our GM is even worse... and one hand washes the other there.

Chester Copperpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:08 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Run. Run while you can.
Sadly for those new fans that have a choice, I agree.

The rest of us loyal fans will continue to go down with the ship decade after decade....

CapitalsCupFantasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:09 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

#RealFans go down with the ship.

Liberati0n* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 03:21 PM
cleaver
We're touched thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty all the way View Post
I was wondering if you guys could give me a breakdown on what the team might look like this next year.
Same as every year

cleaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-11-2013, 09:19 PM
MFarrer74
Laich it, Orlov it

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleaver View Post
Same as every year
Couldn't say it any better

MFarrer74 is offline   Reply With Quote