HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Completely OT (Some Obscene Number)

Closed Thread

Old
08-10-2012, 05:19 AM
yay

vCash: 500
BCF, my old Incredible recently had the screen broken. Loved the phone. My issue with most of the phones out now are that they are so damn big. I don't need the extra performance.

Ended up just getting the new Incredible 4g - same size as the old one, android 4. Love it.

Old
08-10-2012, 08:06 AM
IkeaMonkey*
HF Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwarden View Post
Anecdotally, it seems to do much better battery-wise on wifi then on 4g, but I have no idea if that's actually true or just what appears to be the case to me. Anywhere I have the wifi, it seems to go hours without losing much, but if I'm out and about it seems to drain more quickly.
Yea brah, all devices are like this. When the phone doesn't need to pull signal from a network, rather a steady stable connection, your battery life will greatly benefit.

And lol@Verizon suckers. My phone(EVO 4G LTE) smurfs all you.

For the next like 2 and a half weeks until something better comes out, making mine outdated

Old
08-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Brawnstud

Is OV moonlighting as an Indian pop star?

Old
08-18-2012, 09:57 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Send a message via MSN to WetHog
Up to episode 4 of season 2 of The Wire. Not bad so far, new version of opening theme song sucks though.

Old
08-19-2012, 09:27 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brawnstud View Post
Is OV moonlighting as an Indian pop star?

Not seeing the OV resemblance. Looks more like Richie Sambora to me.

Old
08-23-2012, 02:03 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Tiger shuts up Rory, if just for a day...

Old
08-25-2012, 08:01 PM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

Neil Armstrong died today at the age of 82. The most famous of moonwalkers. RIP

http://www.washingtonpost.com/nation...y.html?hpid=z1

Old
08-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Dream Big

Anyone watching the Republican National Convention?

I find it amusing that the speaker Artur Davis is blaming Obama for the high price of gas. If you want to see high gas prices come to Canada. Cost per litre averages $ 1.32.8 to $1.48.9 or approximately $5.32-$.5.96 a gallon.

Old
08-28-2012, 09:54 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Send a message via MSN to usiel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dream Big View Post

I find it amusing that the speaker Artur Davis is blaming Obama for the high price of gas. If you want to see high gas prices come to Canada. Cost per litre averages $ 1.32.8 to $1.48.9 or approximately $5.32-$.5.96 a gallon.
I remember being in europe in the late late 90s and in US dollars was like $6 a gallon.

Still have no idea why these conventions are needed. Lets just get to the debates.

08-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
I remember being in europe in the late late 90s and in US dollars was like $6 a gallon.

Still have no idea why these conventions are needed. Lets just get to the debates.
I think petrol costs in europe are still crazy high compared to North American prices.

The conventions afford the opportunity to tell stories. It's a feel good op. Time to pump the tires. Pound the chest. Once the debates start all the gloves come off. Not so much feel good times.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:12 PM
RandyHolt
Opposite George = GM

vCash: 50
IN merica taxes on gas are close to nill compared to other countries.

Gasoline and cars tax society. Carbon monoxide will kill you in minutes. Clear blue skies have been replaced by air pollution we call... haze. Code Orange haze. Cars truck and motorcycles are extremely loud. Our endless races to and from work just destroy the roads and bridges and quality of life. Books on CD rule the day, commute times are unprecedented.

Trucks emissions are not regulated, you see them emitting huge plumes of dark smoke, every GD gear shift.

Yet mention of raising taxes on gas leads to outrage. mericans dont care about the profits big oil gets at all. Tax it to fix a bridge, no way! And we largely drive like idiots and dont even use turn signals in extreme traffic. Merica is one big race track, really.

I still find it amusing how prices skyrocketed under the oil baron himself, George Bush. They never came back down. Refining became extremely profitable. They didnt need to torch one anymore.

When Jeb gets elected in 2020, buy oil stock, and defense stocks. Its a lock.

Last edited by RandyHolt: 08-28-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old
08-28-2012, 10:25 PM
Dream Big

Okay something strange just happened during Gov Chris Christies' speach. A portion was completely removed.

A green screen with grey specks just blocked out the main point he was making when he was talking about "we believe in telling our seniors the truth about our overburdened entitlements. We know seniors not only want these programs to survive, but just as badly want them secured for their grandchildren. Our senior are not" fuzzy grey background with green horizontal stripes. What did I miss? Anyone know? Why was that blocked out? Anyhow the gist of the remainder seems unclear (10:47 pm ET) somehow convoluted with no clear content.

He continues: "Here's what they believe. They believe that seniors will always put themselves ahead of their grandchildren. and here's what they do. Prey on their vulnerabilites and scare them with misinformation for the single cynical purpose of winning the next election. Here's their plan whistle a happy tune while driving us off the fiscal cliff."

? What does that mean?

Old
08-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Dream Big

In the next breath Gov Chris Christie says" Now, we believe , that the majority of teachers in America know that our system must be reformed. To put students first so that America can compete. Teachers don't teach to become rich or famous. They teach because they love children. We believe." nods head.

"We believe that we should honour and reward the good ones while doing what's best for our nations future. Demanding accountability, demanding higher standards and demanding the best teacher in every classroom in America. Get ready, get ready. This is what they believe. They believe that the educational establishment will always put themselves ahead of children. That self interest will always trump common sense. THEY believe pitting unions against teachers, educators against parents, lobbiests against children. They believe in teachers unions....we believe in teachers".contradicting the first part of his sentence. People standing and cheering. I don't think they could have understood what he said.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:51 PM
Liberati0n*
Full Hammock

vCash: 50
Quote:

I mean, you have to consider the prices in context though. Canada's economy is probably accustomed to functioning with those gas prices, the portions of budgets that they eat up, etc. Of course it is simply more money no matter how you look at it, but the economic effects (and thus the complaining) have to be considered relative to past trends in a given area. Not that I think Obama has really anything to do with gas prices.

Old
08-28-2012, 10:58 PM
Dream Big

Rah rah but no substance. I'm disappointed.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:13 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonsofcain View Post
I mean, you have to consider the prices in context though. Canada's economy is probably accustomed to functioning with those gas prices, the portions of budgets that they eat up, etc. Of course it is simply more money no matter how you look at it, but the economic effects (and thus the complaining) have to be considered relative to past trends in a given area. Not that I think Obama has really anything to do with gas prices.
Canada has become accustomed to the high price of gas for cars. The taxes do go for infrastructure improvements. You have to pay for what you want one way or another.
I just find it amusing at what is considered outrageous costs, as inferred in the Republican National convention, to pay for gas when it is probably the cheapest on the face of the earth.

It all depends on your point of view I guess.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:16 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888
Quote:
In the next breath Gov Chris Christie says" Now, we believe , that the majority of teachers in America know that our system must be reformed. To put students first so that America can compete. Teachers don't teach to become rich or famous. They teach because they love children. We believe." nods head.

"We believe that we should honour and reward the good ones while doing what's best for our nations future. Demanding accountability, demanding higher standards and demanding the best teacher in every classroom in America. Get ready, get ready. This is what they believe. They believe that the educational establishment will always put themselves ahead of children. That self interest will always trump common sense. THEY believe pitting unions against teachers, educators against parents, lobbiests against children. They believe in teachers unions....we believe in teachers".contradicting the first part of his sentence. People standing and cheering. I don't think they could have understood what he said.
We=Republicans.
They=Democrats.

Not contradictory.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:26 PM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberation View Post
We=Republicans.
They=Democrats.

Not contradictory.

What he said was:
THEY believe pitting unions against teachers, educators against parents, lobbiests against children. They believe in teachers unions....we believe in teachers

I understand the They vs We. I don't understand his english.

"They believe pitting unions against teachers" Is that not contradictory? First of all teachers usually are in unions. They are the union. His sentence makes no sense to me.

Old
08-28-2012, 11:35 PM
Dream Big

Platitudes irritate me.

Old
08-29-2012, 12:33 AM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
What he said was:
THEY believe pitting unions against teachers, educators against parents, lobbiests against children. They believe in teachers unions....we believe in teachers

I understand the They vs We. I don't understand his english.

"They believe pitting unions against teachers" Is that not contradictory? First of all teachers usually are in unions. They are the union. His sentence makes no sense to me.
Heh, that is entertaining. I'm not a teacher but I have met, over the years, several current and former teachers. The one thing I took away from all of them that it is a job that is way more than a 40 hour a week job and my takeaway is that I am glad my complete disinterest in not teaching (considering my degree in English) was warranted. I'm down with system rewarding the good teachers and weeding out the bad ones (hey we've all had crappy teachers at all levels) but man we need the pay the good ones what they are worth and continue to have intensives to keep that level.

Old
08-29-2012, 05:26 AM
Chimaera
same ol' Caps

vCash: 600
As a teacher, I'm afraid for what that rhetoric means. Christie cut millions from education, and the performance of NJ schools has reflected it.

I'm not completely pro-union, but they do a lot of good with some obvious bad. It's hard to not feel like some is throwing out the baby with the bath water. The attacks on teachers at times are tough to stomach. Similarly, who will balance the funding between rich and poor schools if they abolish the department of education? There are thousands of schools who rely on that money to keep their doors open. I also know that if some get their way, and make part of my evaluation the performance of my students on standeredized tests, I will get out of the profession or transfer to a school where the results are significantly easier to obtain. I work at a school where a number of factors (poverty, homelessness, crime, etc) are stacked against students. I'm here because I feel I can offer most to this group. But, getting results is not always linked to how dynamic I am in the classroom. I could transfer to another school in the same district where I could fart out a 90% AP pass rate with minimal effort. At my school, I work my behind off for a 20%.

Old
08-29-2012, 10:03 AM
WetHog
Out to Lunch

My Wife is/was a teacher, and my Mother was a teacher for over 30 years, so I have an idea of what you are going through, Chim. Teachers have my utmost respect. Without teachers like you and my Wife where would we be as a society? Teachers don't get payed nearly enough for what they are asked to do. 10 month job or not.

Having said that, just my experience from AA County where I live, accountability is sorely lacking for today's students. When I was in grade school the possiblity of being held back a year drove me to succeed for the majority of my grade school career. These days, listening to my Wife and her teacher friends, teachers and schools need permission from a kids parents to hold that kid back if they are not ready to move up a grade. Kids my wife taught that could not read or write were moved on based solely on the Parents wishes.

Same thing applies to suspending kids these days accept for severe cases. When I was in grade school if you got 3 referrals you got an automatic suspension. Get sent to the office on referral for disrupting a class or dis-respecting a teacher these days, the kid gets a slap on the wrist. If the school wants to suspend a kid they need the parents approval first.

IMO a lot of today's issues with public schooling revolves around a lack of accountability for the Student and his/her Parents. Not saying to bring back the days of Prinicipal's spanking kids in their office, but without real consequences for poor grades and bad behavior whats the point?

I am not a teacher so its easy to speak from the cheap seats, but the problem seems obvious to me. Solving that problem is another issue all together.

Old
08-29-2012, 10:05 PM
usiel
HFBoards Sponsor

Oh man this super force YT show is awesome. With a super hero named Knight Night who can't watch. Below is eps5. "..stop trying to revise the terms of service" is my favorite line considering 'internet reality'.

Old
08-31-2012, 06:56 PM
SimplySensational
Heard of Hough

vCash: 888

Whoa is that Joe Beninati, according to his Wiki page he has done college football PBP.

Old
09-01-2012, 03:07 AM
Dream Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by usiel View Post
Oh man this super force YT show is awesome. With a super hero named Knight Night who can't watch. Below is eps5. "..stop trying to revise the terms of service" is my favorite line considering 'internet reality'.

Ha ha The left side won the race.

My favourite is "yeah, a project"

Closed Thread