HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part VI -- Homer Gone a Courtin' Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
  #301
Vito_81
Registered User
 
Vito_81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Down Goes Brown @DownGoesBrown

Just for fun, here are all the 27-year-old players from 13 seasons ago: http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...l=&order_by=ps

Combined goals last season: zero.
Very interesting post.

But that's the price you have to pay these days.

Teams are going to have to swallow the bill on those final 4 years or so in order to have these star players on their team for the better part of a decade.

If having a star player on your team for 7-8 years means you have to over pay a hasbeen for a year or two before he retires then so be it.

Vito_81 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
  #302
Prospector74
Registered User
 
Prospector74's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Hollywood, MD
Country: United States
Posts: 542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Sure other teams would want him, but he still wouldn't demand what Nash would, and we still aren't in a sensible position to trade him anyway.
Sign Semin and trade Vanek for Pavelski +.

Prospector74 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
  #303
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 11,327
vCash: 500
I think the greatest part of Parise n Suter signing in Minny is watching the twitter thugs with "sources" backtracking and trying to cover their ass. Especially the ones that show up **************** in here.

Beerz is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 03:18 PM
  #304
La Cosa Nostra
The Future
 
La Cosa Nostra's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6,519
vCash: 500
So pretty much within a year or two each FA will have no star players because every ****ing team will sign every young star to 12 year deals

Only way to fix this is to become like NFL, no more guaranteed ****ing contracts. You start playing bad ? Then you get cut. That's why NFL> NHL, the stars in the NFL don't ease up because they signed a mega contract since it's not all guaranteed, but you sure see a lot of bums in the NHL play like garbage because no matter what their money is guaranteed.

La Cosa Nostra is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
  #305
Vito_81
Registered User
 
Vito_81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,127
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
So pretty much within a year or two each FA will have no star players because every ****ing team will sign every young star to 12 year deals

Only way to fix this is to become like NFL, no more guaranteed ****ing contracts. You start playing bad ? Then you get cut. That's why NFL> NHL, the stars in the NFL don't ease up because they signed a mega contract since it's not all guaranteed, but you sure see a lot of bums in the NHL play like garbage because no matter what their money is guaranteed.


Football contacts can't be guaranteed, not because NFL is better because you can cut guys who start to suck. The contracts can't be guaranteed because out of all sports, career ending injuries come easy and often and NFL players have by far the shortest careers. Teams could potentially be on the books with like 8 contracts of guys who are done. What good does that do?

The NHL I'm sure will institute a max year/max contract type rule in the new CBA setting the maximum length of a deal to be 8 years and no more than a certain % of the cap or something like that. These big front loaded contracts with useless add on years to lower the hit will be a thing of the past.

Vito_81 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
  #306
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 33,414
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Football contacts can't be guaranteed, not because NFL is better because you can cut guys who start to suck. The contracts can't be guaranteed because out of all sports, career ending injuries come easy and often and NFL players have by far the shortest careers. Teams could potentially be on the books with like 8 contracts of guys who are done. What good does that do?
There is guaranteed money in some NFL contracts. Its not the entire contract but portions of it are guaranteed and they are usually front loaded. So basically some NFL players get a form of guaranteed contract. Guaranteeing large portions of contracts is used as a incentive to lure FAs as well.

Quote:
The NHL I'm sure will institute a max year/max contract type rule in the new CBA setting the maximum length of a deal to be 8 years and no more than a certain % of the cap or something like that. These big front loaded contracts with useless add on years to lower the hit will be a thing of the past
Even if the league caps it at 8 years. It really wont prevent what he is complaining about, which is the UFA market drying up.


Last edited by joshjull: 07-04-2012 at 03:49 PM.
joshjull is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 03:59 PM
  #307
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,114
vCash: 500
Quote:
BrownScottTN #NHLJets agree to terms with goaltender Al Montoya
http://twitter.com/BrownScottTN/stat...22718331138048

jfb392 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:03 PM
  #308
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!
 
SabresAreScaryGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Obviously the flood gates have opened..

SabresAreScaryGood is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:07 PM
  #309
Selanne00008
Registered User
 
Selanne00008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC - UES
Posts: 3,186
vCash: 500
Someone tweeted that "it was important to Parise that he and Suter be compensated equally". I forgo who tweeted it but I like that. Def a Parise fan. Spoke a lot to Suter to build a winner in his hometown.

Selanne00008 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 04:19 PM
  #310
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!
 
SabresAreScaryGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,775
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Someone tweeted that "it was important to Parise that he and Suter be compensated equally". I forgo who tweeted it but I like that. Def a Parise fan. Spoke a lot to Suter to build a winner in his hometown.
We need a way to ship Stafford there.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 05:25 PM
  #311
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 18,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Even with the big splash...Minny is no lock the make the playoffs.

Their D is pretty....welllll...not good.

I don't know much about their bottom 4...but it certainly is underwhelming on paper.

TehDoak is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 05:41 PM
  #312
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Even with the big splash...Minny is no lock the make the playoffs.

Their D is pretty....welllll...not good.

I don't know much about their bottom 4...but it certainly is underwhelming on paper.
Vollman is tweeting that the additions of Suter and Parise put the Wild's expected output is between 91-93 points. That would make them a fringe playoff team. Obviously, some teams overperform and others underperform--Vollman's numbers had us and Washington as #1 and #2 in the Eastern Conference last year--but they're far from a Cup contender next season. These moves should be accepted for what they are: additions that could make them a Cup contender in 2-3 years.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 05:54 PM
  #313
TehDoak
General Zad
 
TehDoak's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Country: United States
Posts: 18,059
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Vollman is tweeting that the additions of Suter and Parise put the Wild's expected output is between 91-93 points. That would make them a fringe playoff team. Obviously, some teams overperform and others underperform--Vollman's numbers had us and Washington as #1 and #2 in the Eastern Conference last year--but they're far from a Cup contender next season. These moves should be accepted for what they are: additions that could make them a Cup contender in 2-3 years.
I daresay it's nearly impossible to predict point totals for teams any given season. The difference between winning and losing in this league is more than the players on the roster. It's when you catch a team, injuries, depth, coaching, etc.

The Wild are a better team now than they were yesterday. But, does this move suddenly thrust them up there with Vancouver and San Jose as regular season powerhouses? Not really.

They have 22 million locked up to 3 players until 2018. That is a long time

TehDoak is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 05:59 PM
  #314
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Dammit Darcy do something, I'm bored.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
  #315
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,187
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Wooooooooo!!!! Good decision, Parise and Suter!

Rob Paxon is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 06:42 PM
  #316
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,679
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Even with the big splash...Minny is no lock the make the playoffs.

Their D is pretty....welllll...not good.

I don't know much about their bottom 4...but it certainly is underwhelming on paper.
Their D is simply not known and young. They were pretty good with Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, and Prosser in the lineup. They aren't well known, but they played well. Suter slots in as the #1, Gilbert the #2 and the rest of their kiddie-corps from 3-7. That's why Zanon and Zidlicky were easy for them to deal, the kids pushed them out the door.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 06:52 PM
  #317
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Dammit Darcy do something, I'm bored.
If only the entire remaining UFA pool and Darcy knew they were here for your entertainment...

Zip15 is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
  #318
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,205
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If only the entire remaining UFA pool and Darcy knew they were here for your entertainment...
They better not know, because they're doing a terrible job of it.

In all seriousness, this is the SLOWEST free agency period I've ever experienced.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
  #319
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
We just need to have a little patience at this point. Parise and Suter's decision just reset the entire table/board and every franchise (except 1) now has to invoke their plan B's or C's. Agents are gleefully anticipating new offers for their charges and said negotiations take time. Offers, counteroffers, etc.. I'm betting phonelines are burning up.

And yes, we will be the last to know cause that's how the system (should) works.

Great job Minnesota. The NW Division just got tougher to play in and I'm expecting the Avs to have to do something now to adjust to a stronger Minnesota (who incidently, already manages to kick Colorado's butt just about evertime they play them. Backstrom in particular plays the Avs well as does Koivu, Clutterbuck, etc..)

Av's need D. Just signed EJ for $4M/4yrs but 3/4 & 5/6 are nothing to write home about. Betting they would welcome Leopold back and Sekera would be a major upgade. Stastny (who is not my top candidate for Sabres at Center) is a possibility for Buf esp. if we lose out on Ryan, Nash, etc..

littletonhockeycoach is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:30 PM
  #320
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,311
vCash: 500
I think we'll sign a 4C and that'll be it for our forays into the UFA pool. And, frankly, I'm fine with that. I don't think Semin will sign here, and beyond him I'm not too enthused about this UFA pool. I'd rather Darcy continue changing the look of this team by trade.

Zip15 is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:34 PM
  #321
Duddy
Everyday is
 
Duddy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Country: Austria
Posts: 10,394
vCash: 500
IMO bring Connolly back.

So the Hockey Gods can focus their "everybody on the Buffalo roster has to be injured" to "take that timmmaaaah".

Duddy is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
  #322
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 11,327
vCash: 500
Nash traded ........









































































Steve that is..... to the Lakers.

Beerz is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:36 PM
  #323
littletonhockeycoach
Registered User
 
littletonhockeycoach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Littleton, Co
Country: United States
Posts: 2,256
vCash: 500
Good one.......... you had me wondering!

littletonhockeycoach is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:38 PM
  #324
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,829
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Their D is simply not known and young. They were pretty good with Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, and Prosser in the lineup. They aren't well known, but they played well. Suter slots in as the #1, Gilbert the #2 and the rest of their kiddie-corps from 3-7. That's why Zanon and Zidlicky were easy for them to deal, the kids pushed them out the door.
agreed

Scandella is better then Sekera was at 22.

Jame is online now  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:41 PM
  #325
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 18,187
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Nash traded ........

Steve that is..... to the Lakers.
The Raptors screwed my Knicks by signing Fields to a huge offer sheet just to stop us from a Nash sign-and-trade


Last edited by Rob Paxon: 07-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Rob Paxon is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:20 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.