HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part VI -- Homer Gone a Courtin' Edition

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 03:02 PM
Vito_81

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Afino View Post
Down Goes Brown @DownGoesBrown

Just for fun, here are all the 27-year-old players from 13 seasons ago: http://www.hockey-reference.com/play...l=&order_by=ps

Combined goals last season: zero.
Very interesting post.

But that's the price you have to pay these days.

Teams are going to have to swallow the bill on those final 4 years or so in order to have these star players on their team for the better part of a decade.

If having a star player on your team for 7-8 years means you have to over pay a hasbeen for a year or two before he retires then so be it.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
Prospector74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
Sure other teams would want him, but he still wouldn't demand what Nash would, and we still aren't in a sensible position to trade him anyway.
Sign Semin and trade Vanek for Pavelski +.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:13 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

I think the greatest part of Parise n Suter signing in Minny is watching the twitter thugs with "sources" backtracking and trying to cover their ass. Especially the ones that show up **************** in here.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:18 PM
La Cosa Nostra
The Future

So pretty much within a year or two each FA will have no star players because every ****ing team will sign every young star to 12 year deals

Only way to fix this is to become like NFL, no more guaranteed ****ing contracts. You start playing bad ? Then you get cut. That's why NFL> NHL, the stars in the NFL don't ease up because they signed a mega contract since it's not all guaranteed, but you sure see a lot of bums in the NHL play like garbage because no matter what their money is guaranteed.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:28 PM
Vito_81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
So pretty much within a year or two each FA will have no star players because every ****ing team will sign every young star to 12 year deals

Only way to fix this is to become like NFL, no more guaranteed ****ing contracts. You start playing bad ? Then you get cut. That's why NFL> NHL, the stars in the NFL don't ease up because they signed a mega contract since it's not all guaranteed, but you sure see a lot of bums in the NHL play like garbage because no matter what their money is guaranteed.

Football contacts can't be guaranteed, not because NFL is better because you can cut guys who start to suck. The contracts can't be guaranteed because out of all sports, career ending injuries come easy and often and NFL players have by far the shortest careers. Teams could potentially be on the books with like 8 contracts of guys who are done. What good does that do?

The NHL I'm sure will institute a max year/max contract type rule in the new CBA setting the maximum length of a deal to be 8 years and no more than a certain % of the cap or something like that. These big front loaded contracts with useless add on years to lower the hit will be a thing of the past.

Old
07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
joshjull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vito_81 View Post
Football contacts can't be guaranteed, not because NFL is better because you can cut guys who start to suck. The contracts can't be guaranteed because out of all sports, career ending injuries come easy and often and NFL players have by far the shortest careers. Teams could potentially be on the books with like 8 contracts of guys who are done. What good does that do?
There is guaranteed money in some NFL contracts. Its not the entire contract but portions of it are guaranteed and they are usually front loaded. So basically some NFL players get a form of guaranteed contract. Guaranteeing large portions of contracts is used as a incentive to lure FAs as well.

Quote:
The NHL I'm sure will institute a max year/max contract type rule in the new CBA setting the maximum length of a deal to be 8 years and no more than a certain % of the cap or something like that. These big front loaded contracts with useless add on years to lower the hit will be a thing of the past
Even if the league caps it at 8 years. It really wont prevent what he is complaining about, which is the UFA market drying up.

Last edited by joshjull: 07-04-2012 at 03:49 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 03:59 PM
jfb392

Quote:
BrownScottTN #NHLJets agree to terms with goaltender Al Montoya
http://twitter.com/BrownScottTN/stat...22718331138048

Old
07-04-2012, 04:03 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Obviously the flood gates have opened..

Old
07-04-2012, 04:07 PM
Selanne00008

Someone tweeted that "it was important to Parise that he and Suter be compensated equally". I forgo who tweeted it but I like that. Def a Parise fan. Spoke a lot to Suter to build a winner in his hometown.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:19 PM
SabresAreScaryGood
Win jack for Jack!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Someone tweeted that "it was important to Parise that he and Suter be compensated equally". I forgo who tweeted it but I like that. Def a Parise fan. Spoke a lot to Suter to build a winner in his hometown.
We need a way to ship Stafford there.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:25 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Even with the big splash...Minny is no lock the make the playoffs.

Their D is pretty....welllll...not good.

I don't know much about their bottom 4...but it certainly is underwhelming on paper.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:41 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post

I don't know much about their bottom 4...but it certainly is underwhelming on paper.
Vollman is tweeting that the additions of Suter and Parise put the Wild's expected output is between 91-93 points. That would make them a fringe playoff team. Obviously, some teams overperform and others underperform--Vollman's numbers had us and Washington as #1 and #2 in the Eastern Conference last year--but they're far from a Cup contender next season. These moves should be accepted for what they are: additions that could make them a Cup contender in 2-3 years.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:54 PM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
Vollman is tweeting that the additions of Suter and Parise put the Wild's expected output is between 91-93 points. That would make them a fringe playoff team. Obviously, some teams overperform and others underperform--Vollman's numbers had us and Washington as #1 and #2 in the Eastern Conference last year--but they're far from a Cup contender next season. These moves should be accepted for what they are: additions that could make them a Cup contender in 2-3 years.
I daresay it's nearly impossible to predict point totals for teams any given season. The difference between winning and losing in this league is more than the players on the roster. It's when you catch a team, injuries, depth, coaching, etc.

The Wild are a better team now than they were yesterday. But, does this move suddenly thrust them up there with Vancouver and San Jose as regular season powerhouses? Not really.

They have 22 million locked up to 3 players until 2018. That is a long time

Old
07-04-2012, 05:59 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Dammit Darcy do something, I'm bored.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:06 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Wooooooooo!!!! Good decision, Parise and Suter!

Old
07-04-2012, 06:42 PM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post

Their D is simply not known and young. They were pretty good with Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, and Prosser in the lineup. They aren't well known, but they played well. Suter slots in as the #1, Gilbert the #2 and the rest of their kiddie-corps from 3-7. That's why Zanon and Zidlicky were easy for them to deal, the kids pushed them out the door.

07-04-2012, 06:52 PM
Zip15

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Dammit Darcy do something, I'm bored.
If only the entire remaining UFA pool and Darcy knew they were here for your entertainment...

Old
07-04-2012, 07:01 PM
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If only the entire remaining UFA pool and Darcy knew they were here for your entertainment...
They better not know, because they're doing a terrible job of it.

In all seriousness, this is the SLOWEST free agency period I've ever experienced.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:16 PM
littletonhockeycoach

We just need to have a little patience at this point. Parise and Suter's decision just reset the entire table/board and every franchise (except 1) now has to invoke their plan B's or C's. Agents are gleefully anticipating new offers for their charges and said negotiations take time. Offers, counteroffers, etc.. I'm betting phonelines are burning up.

And yes, we will be the last to know cause that's how the system (should) works.

Great job Minnesota. The NW Division just got tougher to play in and I'm expecting the Avs to have to do something now to adjust to a stronger Minnesota (who incidently, already manages to kick Colorado's butt just about evertime they play them. Backstrom in particular plays the Avs well as does Koivu, Clutterbuck, etc..)

Av's need D. Just signed EJ for $4M/4yrs but 3/4 & 5/6 are nothing to write home about. Betting they would welcome Leopold back and Sekera would be a major upgade. Stastny (who is not my top candidate for Sabres at Center) is a possibility for Buf esp. if we lose out on Ryan, Nash, etc..

Old
07-04-2012, 07:30 PM
Zip15

I think we'll sign a 4C and that'll be it for our forays into the UFA pool. And, frankly, I'm fine with that. I don't think Semin will sign here, and beyond him I'm not too enthused about this UFA pool. I'd rather Darcy continue changing the look of this team by trade.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:34 PM
Duddy
Everyday is

IMO bring Connolly back.

So the Hockey Gods can focus their "everybody on the Buffalo roster has to be injured" to "take that timmmaaaah".

Old
07-04-2012, 07:35 PM
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor

Nash traded ........

Steve that is..... to the Lakers.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:36 PM
littletonhockeycoach

Good one.......... you had me wondering!

Old
07-04-2012, 07:38 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Their D is simply not known and young. They were pretty good with Scandella, Spurgeon, Falk, and Prosser in the lineup. They aren't well known, but they played well. Suter slots in as the #1, Gilbert the #2 and the rest of their kiddie-corps from 3-7. That's why Zanon and Zidlicky were easy for them to deal, the kids pushed them out the door.
agreed

Scandella is better then Sekera was at 22.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:41 PM
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Nash traded ........

Steve that is..... to the Lakers.
The Raptors screwed my Knicks by signing Fields to a huge offer sheet just to stop us from a Nash sign-and-trade

Last edited by Rob Paxon: 07-04-2012 at 07:48 PM.
Closed Thread