HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Around the NHL Part VI -- Homer Gone a Courtin' Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2012, 08:39 PM
  #76
cardiffgiant
Race to the bottom!
 
cardiffgiant's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Country: United States
Posts: 1,960
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
We could have had a Klinkhammer!!!!


Best name ever, big guy, a forward...


this is ******** man...KLINKhammer!! It's the sound that a hammer makes...combined with the tool that makes that sound!! And it's a name!!!

I dare you to say, "Scored by Lord Klinkhammer Son of Odin"

do it...
It's no Clutterbuck, but it's up there. Could you imagine if we traded for Clutterbuck and still had Harry working with Rick? We'd have to air games with a 20 second delay to censor out the inevitable mispronunciation.

cardiffgiant is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 09:51 PM
  #77
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,965
vCash: 500
Awards:
Have to like the shift in Dallas with affordable deals to scoring vets like Whitney and Jagr, the swap of Ribs for Roy as the #2 center, moving Ott along...

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 09:53 PM
  #78
jamers
Registered User
 
jamers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Have to like the shift in Dallas with affordable deals to scoring vets like Whitney and Jagr, the swap of Ribs for Roy as the #2 center, moving Ott along...
I thought Jagr's was a bit high to be honest, but I suppose you have to account for FA premium. Otherwise, completely agree. They'll be an interesting team to watch this season, and not just because Roy is with them.

jamers is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 09:59 PM
  #79
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
With a few teams falling over themselves with Nash, Parise, Ryan and Suter, I wonder if Regier is looking at a 5 yr. deal for Doan. Kinda Darth stealth action.

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
  #80
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
With a few teams falling over themselves with Nash, Parise, Ryan and Suter, I wonder if Regier is looking at a 5 yr. deal for Doan. Kinda Darth stealth action.
Signing a 35 year old (he'll be 36 a week into the season) to a 5 year contract?

Do not want.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:02 PM
  #81
jamers
Registered User
 
jamers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
With a few teams falling over themselves with Nash, Parise, Ryan and Suter, I wonder if Regier is looking at a 5 yr. deal for Doan. Kinda Darth stealth action.
That would be very sneaky. I like it. Get us a veteran, proven center to cushion the blow of losing Roy until our young centers start gaining experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Signing a 35 year old (he'll be 36 a week into the season) to a 5 year contract?

Do not want.
I'd be happy with a 3 year deal...

jamers is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:04 PM
  #82
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
That would be very sneaky. I like it. Get us a veteran, proven center to cushion the blow of losing Roy until our young centers start gaining experience.



I'd be happy with a 3 year deal...
Doan is a winger, though.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:05 PM
  #83
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyH3aven View Post
Signing a 35 year old (he'll be 36 a week into the season) to a 5 year contract?

Do not want.
Yea, because every player over 35 in the league absolutely sucks


If it's a big overpayment I would agree, I do not want. But for near Pominville type money, I'd like it.

Edit: if he sucks that bad 4 years in, buy him out or stick him in the AHL

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:05 PM
  #84
Rebuild
Registered User
 
Rebuild's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Buffalo
Country: United States
Posts: 1,378
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
That would be very sneaky. I like it. Get us a veteran, proven center to cushion the blow of losing Roy until our young centers start gaining experience.



I'd be happy with a 3 year deal...


I'm down for three front loaded. As much as we need a center, if things work out, next guy might very well just be a bridge to Grigs and Girgs.

Rebuild is online now  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:06 PM
  #85
Myllz
Pavelski Lite
 
Myllz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Seattle
Country: United States
Posts: 12,798
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by two Tylers now View Post
I'm down for three front loaded. As much as we need a center, if things work out, next guy might very well just be a bridge to Grigs and Girgs.
Except he's not a center.

Myllz is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
  #86
jamers
Registered User
 
jamers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 2,324
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
Doan is a winger, though.
Right you are. For some reason I was thinking he played a lot more center than he actually has.

jamers is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:07 PM
  #87
HockeyH3aven
#Flynnsanity
 
HockeyH3aven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Buffalo NY
Country: United States
Posts: 6,178
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Yea, because every player over 35 in the league absolutely sucks


If it's a big overpayment I would agree, I do not want. But for near Pominville type money, I'd like it.
Oh dear god no, that is a big overpayment.

Doan's at the end of his career, 2-3 years and he'll be like Modano 2.0. His asking price will be lower due to his age and subsequent diminishing skills.

HockeyH3aven is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:09 PM
  #88
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
Right you are. For some reason I was thinking he played a lot more center than he actually has.
Yeah, Coyotes fans say that he hasn't played center since Rick Bowness was their coach.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:11 PM
  #89
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Hey, there could be worse Veterans for our young guys to learn from

And better I suppose....

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:13 PM
  #90
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,965
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamers View Post
I thought Jagr's was a bit high to be honest, but I suppose you have to account for FA premium. Otherwise, completely agree. They'll be an interesting team to watch this season, and not just because Roy is with them.
$4.5M (or more) seems to be the going rate for 50+ point wingers, even old ones.

Chainshot is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:14 PM
  #91
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
Yea, because every player over 35 in the league absolutely sucks


If it's a big overpayment I would agree, I do not want. But for near Pominville type money, I'd like it.

Edit: if he sucks that bad 4 years in, buy him out or stick him in the AHL
I'm pretty sure that's his problem with a 5 year contract for a 35 year old. You can't buy him out or hide his salary in the AHL I believe. Which would mean, whether he plays or not that salary will be on the books for the Sabres for all 5 years.

EDIT: I'm willing to give Doan a contract. I think he adds a lot of leadership and veteran presence as well as some still tough, physical and skilled hockey, but no more than a 3 year contract from me.

Digable5 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
  #92
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
On a purely cap hit standpoint... Who is the projected "cheapest" UFA that is also considered a big catch?

Doan right?

I don't want to come across as all in for Doan. Just thinking of if Regier may be looking to zig while everyone zags with Parise, Nash, Ryan, and Suter...

Who knows

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
  #93
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 37,166
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's his problem with a 5 year contract for a 35 year old. You can't buy him out or hide his salary in the AHL I believe. Which would mean, whether he plays or not that salary will be on the books for the Sabres for all 5 years.
Yep, the 35+ clause kicks in. Much like it has with Pronger--even if he retires, the cap hit is still on the book.

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:18 PM
  #94
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,152
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
With a few teams falling over themselves with Nash, Parise, Ryan and Suter, I wonder if Regier is looking at a 5 yr. deal for Doan. Kinda Darth stealth action.
You absolutely can not sign Doan to a 5 year contract. His salary would count against the cap no matter what because its an over 35 contract. No team in the league would do this.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:19 PM
  #95
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,993
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
I'm pretty sure that's his problem with a 5 year contract for a 35 year old. You can't buy him out or hide his salary in the AHL I believe. Which would mean, whether he plays or not that salary will be on the books for the Sabres for all 5 years.
You're pretty much correct.
You can lose $100,000 of the cap hit if you bury them in the minors, which is basically no relief at all.
You can still buy them out, but it doesn't provide any cap relief, just real salary relief.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:19 PM
  #96
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 14,152
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I'm still all about Semin until he signs somewhere else

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
  #97
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
On a purely cap hit standpoint... Who is the projected "cheapest" UFA that is also considered a big catch?

Doan right?

I don't want to come across as all in for Doan. Just thinking of if Regier may be looking to zig while everyone zags with Parise, Nash, Ryan, and Suter...

Who knows
Also remember that Doan is NOT an option to ZIG at the moment. He won't sign with anyone other than Phoenix unless the ownership deal is rejected July 8th or something like that. So he's not really available until the others are already signed, supposedly. I guess at this pace he could still be a "zig" if they still have decided 5 days from now. (Please don't let that happen).

Digable5 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
  #98
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 9,648
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
You're pretty much correct.
You can lose $100,000 of the cap hit if you bury them in the minors, which is basically no relief at all.
You can still buy them out, but it doesn't provide any cap relief, just real salary relief.
I see. Well does that truely eliminate Doan wanting 5 years? Some players have been signed past 41. Or would he accept a 4 year deal?

Again, who knows?

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 PM
  #99
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,715
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
You're pretty much correct.
You can lose $100,000 of the cap hit if you bury them in the minors, which is basically no relief at all.
You can still buy them out, but it doesn't provide any cap relief, just real salary relief.
Yeah yeah details shmetails

Digable5 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 PM
  #100
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 55,965
vCash: 500
Awards:
The risk of getting screwed on Doan makes anything more than a two-year deal unpalletable. LA is still shopping, I can see him taking an offer to go there so he can keep his ranch and his charity work and not move the family.

Chainshot is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:32 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.