HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL Part VI -- Homer Gone a Courtin' Edition

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 PM
  #101
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I see. Well does that truely eliminate Doan wanting 5 years? Some players have been signed past 41. Or would he accept a 4 year deal?

Again, who knows?
It doesn't matter if its 4 or 5 years because the clause is for players who sign a contract after the age of 35. So it's really not even smart to sign him to a 2 year deal, though 2 year deal is reasonable risk. Most every player over 35 signs a 1 year deal for this reason.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
  #102
Digable5
Registered User
 
Digable5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: B-Lo
Country: United States
Posts: 3,770
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I see. Well does that truely eliminate Doan wanting 5 years? Some players have been signed past 41. Or would he accept a 4 year deal?

Again, who knows?
It doesn't eliminate him from 5 years. People can sign him for however long they want but the longer the contract the bigger the risk. I personally wouldn't go longer than three and could give him one year deals after that until I feel he isn't worth it anymore.

And I believe the long term deals that people have signed taking them past 41 were signed when they were younger than 35 which negates the 35+ rule. I'm sure jfb can explain better.

Digable5 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
  #103
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
I see. Well does that truely eliminate Doan wanting 5 years? Some players have been signed past 41. Or would he accept a 4 year deal?

Again, who knows?
I don't know, any multi-year deal is probably a risk with him because he's already 35.
One year is no risk and two is fairly low risk, but I think anything beyond that might be dangerous.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digable5 View Post
It doesn't eliminate him from 5 years. People can sign him for however long they want but the longer the contract the bigger the risk. I personally wouldn't go longer than three and could give him one year deals after that until I feel he isn't worth it anymore.

And I believe the long term deals that people have signed taking them past 41 were signed when they were younger than 35 which negates the 35+ rule. I'm sure jfb can explain better.
You are correct.
35+ only applies to contracts that kick in when they player is over 35 (age calculated on 6/30 of the year the deal starts).

jfb392 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
  #104
ZZamboni
Puttin' on the Foil
 
ZZamboni's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 10,212
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfb392 View Post
I don't know, any multi-year deal is probably a risk with him because he's already 35.
One year is no risk and two is fairly low risk, but I think anything beyond that might be dangerous.

You are correct.
35+ only applies to contracts that kick in when they player is over 35 (age calculated on 6/30 of the year the deal starts).
So from what I gather ... No team, no team at all would ever offer Doan more than 2 or 3 years. It's just a move that's simply not done for a player over 35.

Got it

Thanks

ZZamboni is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:35 PM
  #105
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe
 
New Sabres Captain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 38,206
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
So from what I gather ... No team, no team at all would ever offer Doan more than 2 or 3 years. It's just a move that's simply not done for a player over 35.

Got it

Thanks
Well, maybe Paul Holmgren might, but he's not the brightest when it comes to the CBA

New Sabres Captain is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
  #106
Selanne00008
Registered User
 
Selanne00008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: NYC - UES
Posts: 3,185
vCash: 500
Yeah not everyone can be a Teemu Selanne racking up 60 point seasons at the age of 39

Selanne00008 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
  #107
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZamboni View Post
So from what I gather ... No team, no team at all would ever offer Doan more than 2 or 3 years. It's just a move that's simply not done for a player over 35.

Got it

Thanks
No, I'm not saying that it won't happen, just that it's risky.
He's likely looking to go to a contender if he leaves the Coyotes and those types of teams are always riding close to the cap, so they can't afford to possibly have dead space like that.

You'll see guys get longer 35+ deals, but they are rare.
Ed Jovanovski got four years/$16.5m from Florida last year, but it doesn't really matter if his cap hit is there since they're not a cap team.
It could actually help them down the line, as they could get stuck with the hit and have to pay no salary if he retires.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:42 PM
  #108
Jame
Dream '16
 
Jame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: Palm Harbor, FL
Country: Pitcairn Islands
Posts: 33,357
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
It doesn't matter if its 4 or 5 years because the clause is for players who sign a contract after the age of 35. So it's really not even smart to sign him to a 2 year deal, though 2 year deal is reasonable risk. Most every player over 35 signs a 1 year deal for this reason.
except for :
marty brodeur
ray whitney
sami salo
sheldon souray
bryce salvador
mikael samuelson
johan hedberg
filip kuba
ryan smyth
hal gill

in fact.... every 35+ player who signed in the last week... they ALL got multi year deals


Jame is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
  #109
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
except for :
marty brodeur
ray whitney
sami salo
sheldon souray
bryce salvador
mikael samuelson
johan hedberg
filip kuba
ryan smyth
hal gill

in fact.... every 35+ player who signed in the last week... they ALL got multi year deals

Well, they're almost all relatively low risk two year deals.
The guys that got more than that (Salvador and Souray) aren't on cap teams, so it's not a big deal.
In the case of Doan, he'd likely be going to a cap team, which means it is more of a concern.

Also, Jagr got a one year deal.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
  #110
Play4Miracles*
1 nation under Oil
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 5,241
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
Well, maybe Paul Holmgren might, but he's not the brightest when it comes to the CBA
you say that, but every summer as if by magic they are bidding for all the big names

Play4Miracles* is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
  #111
jfb392
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,112
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Play4Miracles View Post
you say that, but every summer as if by magic they are bidding for all the big names
Yeah, but if the cap goes down again or doesn't continue to rise as rapidly as it as, they're going to be in trouble.
As of right now, they're looking like they'll have $5m in dead space until 7/1/17, which is a decent sized chunk of change.

Even if it does continue to go, that dead space still prevents them from getting the most out of their money.

jfb392 is offline  
Old
07-03-2012, 11:21 PM
  #112
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
except for :
marty brodeur
ray whitney
sami salo
sheldon souray
bryce salvador
mikael samuelson
johan hedberg
filip kuba
ryan smyth
hal gill

in fact.... every 35+ player who signed in the last week... they ALL got multi year deals

1 year, 2 year, same to me.

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 06:40 AM
  #113
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Happy 4th of July. To all following Suter-Parise - Decision 2012, I expect the saga concludes today. Either 1 or 2 teams will be celebrating

Beerz is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 07:07 AM
  #114
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 16,951
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger

Happy 4th of July. To all following Suter-Parise - Decision 2012, I expect the saga concludes today. Either 1 or 2 teams will be celebrating
That's some Eklund-level foresight Dreg

I can't say I'm not excited to see how it pans out, and then to see where the remaining "second tier" fall

Rob Paxon is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:50 AM
  #115
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
So its pretty much confirmed that both Parise n Suter will pick their teams today.................. I always felt Parise would go to Pens and Suter would go to Wings... With both announcing today i think its a possibility they both go to the Wild..

Beerz is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:52 AM
  #116
BloFan4Life
Registered User
 
BloFan4Life's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Lancaster, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,940
vCash: 500
I wonder how quickly the rest of the market will take off. Hopefully these guys sign in the afternoon so other things can happen.

BloFan4Life is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:53 AM
  #117
Beerz
HFBoards Sponsor
 
Beerz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: United States
Posts: 10,732
vCash: 500
Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun

Told that over the past 36 hours, the dialogue between Parise and Suter picked up considerably...





It's going to be Minny....... which i'm thrilled about.....

Beerz is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
  #118
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerz View Post
So its pretty much confirmed that both Parise n Suter will pick their teams today.................. I always felt Parise would go to Pens and Suter would go to Wings... With both announcing today i think its a possibility they both go to the Wild..
I don't hate Detroit, I DO hate Pittsburgh, but either way I'm tired of the same 3-4 teams always being in on and being able to sign the top UFAs. As much as I'd like the pipedream of Buffalo getting Parise, this scenario (both to Minny) would make me very happy. It's about time a smaller market with a great fan base can land a couple great players, even if they don't have recent success or another big name player.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:04 AM
  #119
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,617
vCash: 500
They need to make a decision soon so I can get up from my computer. I havent wanted to miss a thing so I've been wearing Depends. I would really like to clean up before I host my July 4th party.

joshjull is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:05 AM
  #120
Sabresfansince1980
Registered User
 
Sabresfansince1980's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: from Wheatfield, NY
Country: Germany
Posts: 2,611
vCash: 500
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399908

Sullivan to Phoenix for one year, 1.85 mil. Pitt sure needs a winger, can't wait for Parise to leave them hanging.

Sabresfansince1980 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:06 AM
  #121
ADoubleD
Registered User
 
ADoubleD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 1,797
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
I don't hate Detroit, I DO hate Pittsburgh, but either way I'm tired of the same 3-4 teams always being in on and being able to sign the top UFAs. As much as I'd like the pipedream of Buffalo getting Parise, this scenario (both to Minny) would make me very happy. It's about time a smaller market with a great fan base can land a couple great players, even if they don't have recent success or another big name player.
If both decide to play for the same team I hope it is the Wild and not the Red Wings. This could be huge for Minny. I'll admit I don't know a whole lot about the city, but I can't imagine it's a bad place to live. Add to that the fact that it's one of the better hockey markets in the country, and I can only imagine the team not being very good has been one of the only real deterrents from guys signing there. Hopefully if those two sign there more guys will consider it as an option. It's a shame for such a great hockey market to not have a good team to root for. I'd love to see a Winter Classic in Minnesota one day so hopefully this will help with that.

And if the Red Wings don't land Suter I wonder what the hell they're gonna do about their D because it's looking very average as of now after losing two top 4 dmen in Lidstrom and Stuart. Not to mention that Lidstrom is one of the best dmen to ever play.


Last edited by ADoubleD: 07-04-2012 at 10:13 AM.
ADoubleD is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:08 AM
  #122
joshjull
Moderator
 
joshjull's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Hamburg,NY
Country: United States
Posts: 32,617
vCash: 500
That would be cool if the both chose the Wild. Those fans are awesome and deserve something like that.

joshjull is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:10 AM
  #123
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,095
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabresfansince1980 View Post
http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=399908

Sullivan to Phoenix for one year, 1.85 mil. Pitt sure needs a winger, can't wait for Parise to leave them hanging.
They could pursue Semin. As could Detroit. Semin on Malkin's or Datsyuk's wing would be deadly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
If both decide to play for the same team I hope it is the Wild and not the Red Wings. And if the Red Wings don't land Suter I wonder what the hell they're gonna do about their D because it's looking very average as of now after losing two top 4 dmen in Lidstrom and Stuart. Not to mention that Lidstrom is one of the best dmen to ever play.
I'd echo the sentiments that it be Minnesota. They'd be a very good team in 2-3 years when all their top prospects like Coyle, Granlund, Brodin, Dumba, Zucker, et al. are on their ELC's.

Zip15 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:11 AM
  #124
SabresAreScaryGood
McDavid 2015!!!
 
SabresAreScaryGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Country: United States
Posts: 3,757
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADoubleD View Post
If both decide to play for the same team I hope it is the Wild and not the Red Wings. And if the Red Wings don't land Suter I wonder what the hell they're gonna do about their D because it's looking very average as of now after losing two top 4 dmen in Lidstrom and Stuart. Not to mention that Lidstrom is one of the best dmen to ever play.
Valtteri Filppula for Leopold.

SabresAreScaryGood is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:18 AM
  #125
Zip15
Registered User
 
Zip15's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 17,095
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresAreScaryGood View Post
Valtteri Filppula for Leopold.
No chance. Might have to dust off the Flip-for-Sekera proposals, though.

If they miss out on Suter, I fully expect them to pursue Carle. He's not amazing, but he's an above-average second-pairing defenseman.

Zip15 is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:42 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.