HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Calgary Flames
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Flames player development, was Erixon right?

Old
07-03-2012, 07:03 PM
FLAMES666
Retrofit not Rebuild

vCash: 1919
The season is still 2 months away and you guys are counting contracts. Trades can still happen, just because a guy is signed to a one way doesn't mean he will play either. Their were countless times one way players were sitting in the press box while a younger player was on the ice.

FLAMES666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:18 PM
tmurfin
500g1000pts

vCash: 100
We are never going to be an organization that "hands" ample playing time to rookies without then earning it. And Feaster has been on record saying multiple times, if a young player takes a vets spot, he has no problem waiving/trading underacheiving to make room. Erixons a ******, it was an excuse, everyone knows he wanted to be a ranger and that was that.

tmurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:33 PM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
It's funny the same thing was said last year and yet first full season Smith made it over Babchuck and Sarich, rookie Horak made it over Stajan, and part way thro the year Brodie made the jump. This year Feaster thinks Sven will make the jump and Irving is nhl ready and could surpass Karlsson, I think there will be strong competition for spots this year and Hartley loves skilled players so we could see a few veterans not make the team aka Stajan, Babchuck, Stempniak. I have a feeling that 2 or 3 veterans will be moved before opening day after they have lost their spots.

Since Feaster has taken over we have seen a transition from veterans to who is most capable. If the young players can't beat out Jones, Smith, Babchuck, Stajan then they aren't ready as all of these guys are nhl players no need to rush the youth.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:37 AM
CGYPUKSUX
The No Kool-aid Zone

vCash: 500
^ Smith was not a prospect. He and Babchuk ar both '84s and were expected to make the club.

The Flames do not bury contracts in the minors. There is a reason why the Flames coughed up a 2nd round pick to Buffalo for taking Kotalik. Fans may like to talk big about the possibility, but the Flames will not do it. It is one thing to dump a Carson or an Ivanans in the minors than dumping a multi-million dollar contract. Stajan, Babchuk and Stempniak, especially Stempniak who just signed a $2.5M extension, are not going to get dumped in the minors. A trade would have to be worked out to eliminate those salaries and trades are not easy to come by in the NHL these days.

I could see a deal happening in the near future, but not at the levels where we move bottom line players. I think the Flames will be moving a defenseman, along with Backlund, for some help in the top six. Backlund has not seen an offernor been talked about, so I think that does not bode well for him. Irving may be in a similar boat, even after last season's performance. The Flames need to sign him and then get him in 25 games or he becomes a UFA. Based on the roster being put together, the hopes of keeping Iginla, and the expectations of being in the playoff hunt, it may be unreasonable to see Irving get those appearances. He could be sent packing as well. These moves would not open up slots for our prospects as they would likely target established players in return.

I astill think we have a youth problem and the treatment of our prospects is going to bite our team in the ass. Just as in all industries these kids need opportunity and growth paths. Token call ups only go so far. Full rosters of marginal players who haven't got the job done sends the wrong message in my opinion. I think if the Flames wanted to semd a message they would have left a position or two wide open, letting the veterans know the team was committed to bringing in the kids. The full roster, with a very similar make up, sends a message to the vets that the country club is still in operation, and a message to the kids we don't think much of you. Feaster and Wiesbrod talked about changing culture, I think they need to start here.

CGYPUKSUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:59 AM
TheHudlinator

vCash: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
^ Smith was not a prospect. He and Babchuk ar both '84s and were expected to make the club.

The Flames do not bury contracts in the minors. There is a reason why the Flames coughed up a 2nd round pick to Buffalo for taking Kotalik. Fans may like to talk big about the possibility, but the Flames will not do it. It is one thing to dump a Carson or an Ivanans in the minors than dumping a multi-million dollar contract. Stajan, Babchuk and Stempniak, especially Stempniak who just signed a $2.5M extension, are not going to get dumped in the minors. A trade would have to be worked out to eliminate those salaries and trades are not easy to come by in the NHL these days.

I could see a deal happening in the near future, but not at the levels where we move bottom line players. I think the Flames will be moving a defenseman, along with Backlund, for some help in the top six. Backlund has not seen an offernor been talked about, so I think that does not bode well for him. Irving may be in a similar boat, even after last season's performance. The Flames need to sign him and then get him in 25 games or he becomes a UFA. Based on the roster being put together, the hopes of keeping Iginla, and the expectations of being in the playoff hunt, it may be unreasonable to see Irving get those appearances. He could be sent packing as well. These moves would not open up slots for our prospects as they would likely target established players in return.

I astill think we have a youth problem and the treatment of our prospects is going to bite our team in the ass. Just as in all industries these kids need opportunity and growth paths. Token call ups only go so far. Full rosters of marginal players who haven't got the job done sends the wrong message in my opinion. I think if the Flames wanted to semd a message they would have left a position or two wide open, letting the veterans know the team was committed to bringing in the kids. The full roster, with a very similar make up, sends a message to the vets that the country club is still in operation, and a message to the kids we don't think much of you. Feaster and Wiesbrod talked about changing culture, I think they need to start here.
Never said he was a prospect but that he was merely a new face that wasn't excepted to make the team and yet he did. There is no way you can tell me that you or anyone else honestly thought the 26 yearold that had 11 career games before being signed was expected to make the team, he was expected to be a first call up but he beat out Babchuck and Sarich for a playing position.

TheHudlinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGYPUKSUX View Post
You missed the point. The issue was the perception of opportunity in Calgary versus elsewhere, not whether he would make the team in New York.

I just hope that other prospects don't view Calgary as a team where young players don't get a chance. The Sutter regime always had the stigma of preferring veterans over youth, so that may be why our prospects never got more than a cup of coffee with the big team while a long list of washed up vets and experienced pluggers were brought in.
I did get the point. Maybe there's a perception among some, like Erixon, but clearly that perception is wrong, because he would have played for us this year instead of toiling in the AHL. If anyone else perhaps has that perception, they should talk to Erixon, because refusing to sign with us cost him approximately 1.3 million dollars last year.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:21 AM
berto14

Feaster's doing it the right way -- provide rookies the opportunity to play their way onto the team, but don't depend on them doing so. If you leave a hole in your roster and no one's good enough to fill it, what then? You can always move a player out, but bringing one in is much harder (and will likely cost you some assets in addition to their salary).

berto14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:48 AM
Flames 1st pick

Quote:
Originally Posted by berto14 View Post
-- provide rookies the opportunity to play their way onto the team, but don't depend on them doing so. If you leave a hole in your roster and no one's good enough to fill it, what then? You can always move a player out, but bringing one in is much harder (and will likely cost you some assets in addition to their salary).
Yeah but the best way to do that is to have good prospects in the system...not stockpiling overpaid 4th liners/6th dmen....

Feaster is doing a better job than Sutter in this department though

Flames 1st pick is offline   Reply With Quote