HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agent Frenzy 2012 - Part 8

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 12:36 AM
Scott04

vCash: 500
Glad something got people in here fired up. It makes the lack of anything go on much easier.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:37 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devils86 View Post
Sorry to interrupt Jim's Kovy Obsession...Just listened to both the Airport and Radio interview and I have been confident in the end he would come back...after listening i think hes deciding between teams that are not us. The one question where he answered we want to be sure where we want to go..not where we want to be to me is a subtle clue. For the first time I don't think he will be back.
It's a two letter word in a typical cliche ridden interview. It doesn't mean anything either way.

He's not property of the Devils anymore, so techincally he can "go" to NJ.

Old
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richer's Ghost View Post
I can't believe we're having this argument again. Kovy's cap hit is not hamstringing this team from getting Parise. The values just signed for other UFA's shows that. And if it IS, the price for Zach is WAY, way too high for the return.

And that's coming from a Zach fan like no other. I don't have a Kovy jersey, and I bash him for stupid plays just as much as the next guy. I like him on the team, but I like Zach for a world of different reasons.

That point of pride Jim comes from seeing the defense and Marty start the season flat and a team come together to make a miracle run like no other.
You're honestly going to tell me Kovalchuk's 57 million, 11+ over the next 5 years, has no bearing on Parise's contract?

Now Parise's ROI is in question? When was that discussion had for Kovalchuk? Is Kovalchuk going to return 57 million dollars worth of performance in the next 5 years?

Old
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
Sorry to interrupt Jim's Kovy Obsession...Just listened to both the Airport and Radio interview and I have been confident in the end he would come back...after listening i think hes deciding between teams that are not us. The one question where he answered we want to be sure where we want to go..not where we want to be to me is a subtle clue. For the first time I don't think he will be back.
No offense dude, but can we please stop getting bent out of shape because of wording?

Old
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 235
Quote:
Well if it's for the money being tossed around at this point, I can't blame the Devils for not matching. It's crazy money that will truly restrict being able to keep 2 or 3 other key players next year and for years after. On a bright note, that will also restrict the team he would go to for a long, long time too.

#choosewisely

Funniest moment of morning was Jaromir Jagr trying to get @KenDaneykoMSG to say, "Ruutu to Tootoo, 2-on-1" quickly.
Old
07-04-2012, 12:38 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovyLove View Post
I never thought I'd see the day were a Devils fan would show a picture of the Prince of Wales trophy as a sense of pride.
Damn straight the Prince of Wales trophy is a sense of pride. Its Fing tough to win the East Conf Championship. 2 Ot losses and a questionable major takes nothing away from that. I doubt your on the pro Bass tour Jim but do you take any less pride from a good day of fishing because your not. I doubt it.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:39 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Send a message via AIM to BrodeursCups
Quote:
That might be reading a bit too much into it considering those interviews were done in Toronto and Mpls respectively.

But who knows, you may be right. It's too hard to call right now and we're going to have to wait 36+ at least...

Old
MJB Devils23*
No lockout!

Quote:
You're honestly going to tell me Kovalchuk's 57 million, 11+ over the next 5 years, has no bearing on Parise's contract?

Now Parise's ROI is in question? When was that discussion had for Kovalchuk? Is Kovalchuk going to return 57 million dollars worth of performance in the next 5 years?
Kovalchuk's contract has no bearing on the next Parise contract.

Old
nugg
McDive for McDavid

Quote:
Maybe you're right, but I think if he wasn't considering the Devs he would tell Lou that and allow him to look at other options? I think there's still a chance, but he'll probably take the craziest offer, if it turns out to be a real one.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:41 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Quote:

If he continues to finish top-5 in points, you bet your ass he is. He was brought in here to put up pts and he's doing just that.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:41 AM
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Well if it's for the money being tossed around at this point, I can't blame the Devils for not matching. It's crazy money that will truly restrict being able to keep 2 or 3 other key players next year and for years after. On a bright note, that will also restrict the team he would go to for a long, long time too.

#choosewisely
If Zach goes Malkin in 2014!

Seriously how does Pittsburgh have so much money all of the sudden? They were in a really bad situation merely years ago. This lasted from like the 90s, and they still were being talked about to move to Kansas City as recent of 07 or 08 before construction broke on the new building. What gives with Mario, and those guys?

Old
07-04-2012, 12:42 AM
kiwidevil

We could offer Parise 200million for 20 years right now if we didn't have Kovy.

Old
Incharge1976

Quote:

It has nothing to do with it from a financial aspect.

Furthermore, you keep ignoring the fact that a team that gets bounced from the playoffs in the first round every year isn't going to resign Parise anyway.

Old
KovalchukFistPump

I believe the Kovalchuk contract certainly contributed to the team's poor start in 10/11 with the roster squeeze as well as possible locker room disarray. What it also did was greatly contribute to our Stanley Cup run this year. So in the end, I'll take it (plus we have Adam Larsson to boot).

Old
07-04-2012, 12:44 AM
nugg
McDive for McDavid

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
We could offer Parise 200million for 20 years right now if we didn't have Kovy.
True, but then we wouldn't have Kovy... Isn't having both better?

Old
07-04-2012, 12:44 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
No offense dude, but can we please stop getting bent out of shape because of wording?
Bent out of shape??...I have been very confident in him coming back because of a few things I know and because of that and how he put somethings today it was the first time I felt he wasnt coming back. Sometimes words are meaningless its how they are said and the phasing is whats important. I really hope my feeling is wrong because I want him back.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:45 AM
Emperoreddy
King of Pirates

Quote:
You got from the radio interview he didn't want to come back despite the fact he has been on the phone with Lou three or four times everyday? After Marty and Sal said they are both talking to him and think he might come back. You are reading way to much into one little line.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:46 AM
Devils86

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrodeursCups View Post
That might be reading a bit too much into it considering those interviews were done in Toronto and Mpls respectively.

But who knows, you may be right. It's too hard to call right now and we're going to have to wait 36+ at least...
Were taking a get BC to North Dakota fund up and your gonna do shots with you buddy til he talks!

Old
kiwidevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugg View Post
True, but then we wouldn't have Kovy... Isn't having both better?
Sarcasm bro.

Old
Bleedred
Halak ends SO streak

Quote:
Originally Posted by MJB Devils23 View Post
Kovalchuk's contract has no bearing on the next Parise contract.
In the case it did it's only because of our financial situation being less than exciting. Like I said every team can have their two team stars, and many teams do. Frickin Pittsburgh's got over $20 million a year added into their two for the next few years, and if they can add Parise including their ridiculous rumored bonuses, that's like $30+ million in 3 players for the next how many years? If our team was in anywhere near normal financial situations there's no way we can't have Parise, and Kovy locked up to top dollar contracts.

Some people blame Kovy's contract as if this team would somehow be better with just Parise, and no Kovy than it would be with just Kovy, and no Parise.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:47 AM
JimEIV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incharge1976 View Post
It has nothing to do with it from a financial aspect.

Furthermore, you keep ignoring the fact that a team that gets bounced from the playoffs in the first round every year isn't going to resign Parise anyway.
It has everything to do with financial aspect.

Yeah, a team that gets bounced out in the first round couldnt've attracted Kovalchuk .....oh wait?

100 million attracts anyone.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:48 AM
BrodeursCups
Zajac flat out sucks

Quote:
Were taking a get BC to North Dakota fund up and your gonna do shots with you buddy til he talks!

Or we could drive to Lake Minnetonka, MN, put a boat in the water and find Parise's boat tomorrow since he lives on the lake.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Richer's Ghost
Global Moderator
Devils defense.

vCash: 235
Quote:

Kovy has a 6.66M cap hit/year and he left a 10M cap hit/year behind to take it. That's a scant cost of living increase over Elias's contract hit from the time he signed it.

The numbers being tossed out are up to a 10M cap hit/year for Parise. NO WAY I can bless that. It will cost too much in terms of other players that are going to be core to this team as well as set a precedent like no other for future contracts.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:49 AM
NJD Kula
yay hockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by KovalchukFistPump View Post
I believe the Kovalchuk contract certainly contributed to the team's poor start in 10/11 with the roster squeeze as well as possible locker room disarray. What it also did was greatly contribute to our Stanley Cup run this year. So in the end, I'll take it (plus we have Adam Larsson to boot).
yes yes yes

Old
07-04-2012, 12:50 AM
kiwidevil

Quote:
Kovy has a 6.66M cap hit/year and he left a 10M cap hit/year behind to take it. That's a scant cost of living increase over Elias's contract hit from the time he signed it.

The numbers being tossed out are up to a 10M cap hit/year for Parise. NO WAY I can bless that. It will cost too much in terms of other players that are going to be core to this team as well as set a precedent like no other for future contracts.
Truth.

Closed Thread