HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sharks no longer interested in Daniel Winnik

Old
07-03-2012, 10:01 PM
Kitten Mittons

vCash: 500
"Speciality" players usually cost more and we already have one. No purpose in spending another 2 million on a similar player.

Kitten Mittons is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:38 PM
Phu

I liked winnik a lot but it seems he's too expensive for us

Phu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:27 AM
tmunnuch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
People who were worried about him getting injured again were just pessimists who didn't bother to look up his stats at the time. It was a freak accident.
He injured his shoulder at the Worlds last spring. The same shoulder that made him an injury risk in the first place. Those prior 3 years of health meant nothing at that point.

tmunnuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:59 AM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmunnuch View Post
He injured his shoulder at the Worlds last spring. The same shoulder that made him an injury risk in the first place. Those prior 3 years of health meant nothing at that point.
While we were worried about his shoulder, he didn't hurt his shoulder this year. He hurt his thigh and that was a completely freak accident.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:41 AM
Kitten Mittons

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
While we were worried about his shoulder, he didn't hurt his shoulder this year.
Only because he avoids physical contact like plague.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:53 AM
oyster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
Only because he avoids physical contact like plague.
Huskins would always take the hit to make the play.

oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:24 PM
Swervin81
Kadri ❤ Komarov

Great, now the McGinn deal has become a complete disaster, barring a miracle performance from TJ Galiardi.

Swervin81 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:04 PM
chris39bong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swervin81 View Post
Great, now the McGinn deal has become a complete disaster, barring a miracle performance from TJ Galiardi.
Kind of like McGinn's miraculous 2011-12 performance after his disastrous 2010-11 season?

TJ has a lot more skill than McGinn. Will he rebound back to his rookie season form? Who knows. A lot of it has to do with player confidence and character. But TJ has the ability to be the better long term player than McGinn.

chris39bong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 06:19 PM
hohosaregood
Drunken Snacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris39bong View Post
Kind of like McGinn's miraculous 2011-12 performance after his disastrous 2010-11 season?

TJ has a lot more skill than McGinn. Will he rebound back to his rookie season form? Who knows. A lot of it has to do with player confidence and character. But TJ has the ability to be the better long term player than McGinn.
There were so many times that I remember seeing that Galiardi was in a great position to score, like basically open net but he was either a step too slow to get there in time or he didn't finish it. That gives me a lot of optimism towards what he can do.

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:41 AM
Audio Outlaw
Jaded Sharks Fan

We have TJ and a 7th, i'm ok with that. This is one of the last things i'm worried about right now.

Audio Outlaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Shaughnessy

The deal will hinge on the success of the prospects involved, mainly Sgarbossa IMO.
McGinn will fall back to earth, and if neither Sgarbossa or Connolly pan out, the aftermath of it will be Galiardi and a 7th for McGinn, in which case, we win every time.

Shaughnessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:43 AM
do0glas

mcginn had already went back to normal before the year was up. those 8 games were impressive, but then he regressed and they missed the playoffs.

im not worried about it.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:52 AM
Herschel

Quote:
Originally Posted by endy View Post
consistent reg sesaon success is all we have given we are one of 6 teams in the league never to see the finals, and only the jets/coyotes have existed longer. the other 4 teams consist of league losers like cbj and florida and newbies like the wild and nash.
Two things I get with these types of comments.

1) Why does losing in the finals mean so much? I understand from an ownership point of view a birth in the finals mean more cash but isnt the goal to win the cup?

2) How does that number change if you only count the seasons since the Sharks came into the league?

Sharks are one of 17 teams not to win the cup
Sharks are one of 9 teams not to reach the finals (Toronto, NYI, Winnipeg, Phoenix, St. Louis, Nashville*, Minnesota*, Columbus*)

*teams that came into the league after the Sharks.

Herschel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 11:58 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

How does TJ bounce back when he can't even get on the ice? Give the coach a eucalypts plant?

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:04 PM
Gene Parmesan
Spider 2 Y Banana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
How does TJ bounce back when he can't even get on the ice? Give the coach a eucalypts plant?
It would start by him being healthy. He was banged up down the stretch.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 03:37 PM
DarrylshutzSydor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herschel View Post
Two things I get with these types of comments.

1) Why does losing in the finals mean so much? I understand from an ownership point of view a birth in the finals mean more cash but isnt the goal to win the cup?

2) How does that number change if you only count the seasons since the Sharks came into the league?

Sharks are one of 17 teams not to win the cup
Sharks are one of 9 teams not to reach the finals (Toronto, NYI, Winnipeg, Phoenix, St. Louis, Nashville*, Minnesota*, Columbus*)

*teams that came into the league after the Sharks.
You may want to research your data first. Toronto, NYI, St Louis, and Minnesota have all won, or have reached the finals. And 16 teams make the playoffs, so the sharks would be 1 of 15 to not win the cup.

DarrylshutzSydor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:05 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
You may want to research your data first. Toronto, NYI, St Louis, and Minnesota have all won, or have reached the finals. And 16 teams make the playoffs, so the sharks would be 1 of 15 to not win the cup.
You should probably read through that again. It's the teams that haven't reached the finals SINCE the Sharks came into the league.

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:16 AM
glennzky

Forget about comparing Winnik to Burish. Burish should end up on the 4th line. Winnik would be replacing Handzus on the 3rd and Handzus is making $2.5mil next season. I'd rather have Winnik at that price than Handzus. Unfortunately, Handzus has a no movement clause.

glennzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:41 AM
vatali
Life Long Slacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarrylshutzSydor View Post
And while the Blues have reached the finals, they have won as many games in the finals as the Sharks, in 3 tries. Sometimes it not just about getting there.

vatali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:33 PM
RainbowDash
20% Cooler

Bringing this thread back up again.

At this point, I have to wonder. Did Winnik and his agent price themselves too high and now it has backfired?

Its seems obvious to me that this very well can be the case and now Winnik may now make far less then what is fair for him?

Winnik is looking right now at signing with a non-contending team, or signing with a contender @ less than market value, or welcome to the KHL where money earns you.

RainbowDash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Kitten Mittons

If they're signing Doan/Semin, he would have to take an extreme paycut. He really has no place on this team if they're looking for 3 scoring lines. Fourth line is done and Wingels is a 3rd liner this season.

Old
07-11-2012, 12:00 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by UniversalRemonster View Post
Bringing this thread back up again.

At this point, I have to wonder. Did Winnik and his agent price themselves too high and now it has backfired?

Its seems obvious to me that this very well can be the case and now Winnik may now make far less then what is fair for him?

Winnik is looking right now at signing with a non-contending team, or signing with a contender @ less than market value, or welcome to the KHL where money earns you.
I've been thinking this since the start of free agency. Unless he really hates the Sharks at this point I think its possible he comes back now that nobody bit of his huge demands. I think he's look good on a 3rd line with Pavs and Wingles.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:49 AM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by KirbyDots View Post
I've been thinking this since the start of free agency. Unless he really hates the Sharks at this point I think its possible he comes back now that nobody bit of his huge demands. I think he's look good on a 3rd line with Pavs and Wingles.
He didnt seemed thrilled by the system when he got here. Perhaps the signings of Robinson and Johnson will make him come to his senses, but honestly, I don't know how he would come back to a team that stated publicly that they had moved on. It would make him look desperate.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:53 AM
KirbyDots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
He didnt seemed thrilled by the system when he got here. Perhaps the signings of Robinson and Johnson will make him come to his senses, but honestly, I don't know how he would come back to a team that stated publicly that they had moved on. It would make him look desperate.
Agreed. He dug his own grave, or maybe it was his agent, but the Sharks definitely wanted him and have maybe changes that may be to his liking. Anyway, if we get Doan or another top 6 there will be plenty of options to fill the final spot, I just really like Winnik's game and think he could still be an option. His game fits right in with the new coaching staff.

KirbyDots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 06:20 AM
nix at home

If he does come back, Clowe-Winnik-Wingles doesn't look too bad to me.

nix at home is offline   Reply With Quote