HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

Sharks no longer interested in Daniel Winnik

Old
07-20-2012, 12:15 PM
SactoShork
The Youth Movement

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Winnik is 27. Has bounced from one team to another. Is known to be a pain in the butt with regard to negotiating contracts. Everyone wants him back.

Semin is 28. Has played for the same team all his NHL career. In undoubtedly the better player of the two. Is 'rumored' to have character issues. Nobody wants him.

The double standards are pretty sad. I'll take Semin over Winnik any day.
You're comparing apples to caviar.

SactoShork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:16 PM
do0glas

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
Winnik is 27. Has bounced from one team to another. Is known to be a pain in the butt with regard to negotiating contracts. Everyone wants him back.

Semin is 28. Has played for the same team all his NHL career. In undoubtedly the better player of the two. Is 'rumored' to have character issues. Nobody wants him.

The double standards are pretty sad. I'll take Semin over Winnik any day.
i see where you are coming from in regards to the bias. but the money is the big obstacle here.

winnik forces himself into the rental role because he constantly wants to jack up his price in the offseason, but in reality he is a replaceable piece of the bottom six and doesnt bring a lot of offense to the table. so people grab him when they need him and dump him later.

semin will take a sizeable chunk of your capspace and will be integral part of your system and will be expected to produce a certain number of points, so the decision process takes longer.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:17 PM
magic school bus

vCash: 1965
Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkohol View Post
Yes, you are correct, hindsight is indeed 20/20.

I'm done talking about it already. Seems like you were leaning over DW's shoulder the entire time watching this one play out.

It's not a huge loss, but it's still dumb and it makes the trade look worse. I believe he justified it by saying we got 2 NHL players for 1. Well, now we got 1 player.

magic school bus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:19 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
I'm done talking about it already. Seems like you were leaning over DW's shoulder the entire time watching this one play out.

It's not a huge loss, but it's still dumb and it makes the trade look worse. I believe he justified it by saying we got 2 NHL players for 1. Well, now we got 1 player.
DW probably didn't expect Winnik to be a pain in the ass to sign either.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:22 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SactoShark View Post
You're comparing apples to caviar.
Its not a fair comparison with regard to player quality sure .. Semin >>> Winnik. But my point was more about the fact that nobody seems to care about the fact that Winnik has moved around between teams a lot and has had problems negotiating with teams. Can that not be identified as a character issue?

People keep saying that DW is not going to sign Semin because of his 'character' issues. Well .. maybe thats why he is not signing Winnik.

This is not to be confused with the fact that our trade with the Avs ends up looking very bad because we gave up two prospects and McGinn for TJ. The trade may still be a colossal failure but I am merely pointing out the fact that Winnik may simply not be a good fit for the team.

07-20-2012, 12:25 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
DW probably didn't expect Winnik to be a pain in the ass to sign either.
If that's the case he didn't do his homework.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:26 PM
AnderFunk

Regardless of what Winnik may have been asking for at the start, he ended up signing for a reasonable amount that most of us would have been happy with. So does it matter that he started high? Not to me.

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:30 PM
KzooShark

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnderFunk View Post
Regardless of what Winnik may have been asking for at the start, he ended up signing for a reasonable amount that most of us would have been happy with. So does it matter that he started high? Not to me.
Well, if every time Wilson talked to him for the first two months all he heard was "$3 million per year for 2-3 years" and hanging up, I'd get sick of dealing with it long before Winnik came back to reality and realized he was only worth this.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
hockeyball

A lot of us said the trade was freaking terrible the day it happened, so hindsight is a lousy argument in this case. I'm still more annoyed by losing Sgarbossa though, I really think that kid is going to be great.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Iron Chef

I can't wait for opening night against the Ducks to arrive. I hope Murray (assuming hes not traded) totally crankshafts him the way he did Seto on his return to San Jose.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:33 PM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
Well, if every time Wilson talked to him for the first two months all he heard was "$3 million per year for 2-3 years" and hanging up, I'd get sick of dealing with it long before Winnik came back to reality and realized he was only worth this.
True, but it wasn't two months. DW went to the public after a couple weeks and said "we are no longer interested in Daniel Winnik". He should have told Winnik "here's our offer, if you come down in numbers let's talk" and kept the public out of it.

Unless DW just doesn't like him or felt he didn't fit in off the ice, which if that is the case he should have done his research before hand and not traded for him.

Old
07-20-2012, 12:34 PM
do0glas

Quote:
there is some truth to this, but just looking over everything I think we got the better player in burish. and if negotiations halted because DW didnt give him his first offer, winnik may have just decided to leave talks altogether, or DW said he didnt want to negotiate. we will never know.

as far as our two prospects go, in my mind its more mcginn-TJ, mcginn had a great year last year, with a huge surge from playing in colorados top 6. should be interesting to track both players. i like our prospect pool right now, but who knows. maybe those two prospects are the tipping point in this deal.

do0glas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:35 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
True, but it wasn't two months. DW went to the public after a couple weeks and said "we are no longer interested in Daniel Winnik". He should told Winnik "here's our offer, if you come down in numbers let's talk" and kept the public out of it.
Totally. Assuming money was the only reason DW did it. Which would honestly surprise me because DW is pretty tight lipped about such stuff.

Fistfullofbeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:36 PM
KzooShark

Quote:
True, but it wasn't two months. DW went to the public after a couple weeks and said "we are no longer interested in Daniel Winnik". He should told Winnik "here's our offer, if you come down in numbers let's talk" and kept the public out of it.
He said that July 3rd. Odds are he started negotiating with him shortly after the team was eliminated from the playoffs. So, about two months.

KzooShark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:41 PM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
A lot of us said the trade was freaking terrible the day it happened, so hindsight is a lousy argument in this case. I'm still more annoyed by losing Sgarbossa though, I really think that kid is going to be great.
I'm not because I feel TJ will thrive here now that hes healthy. McGinn scored a few garbage goals with good linemates but he was still the same player he was with the Sharks. Sgarbossa could be great or he could be just another Corey Locke....you never know.

Gene Parmesan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 12:56 PM
Iron Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Parmesan View Post
I'm not because I feel TJ will thrive here now that hes healthy. McGinn scored a few garbage goals with good linemates but he was still the same player he was with the Sharks. Sgarbossa could be great or he could be just another Corey Locke....you never know.
Im with you. McGinn didn't look like a completely different player in Colorado. And truly, he even regressed back to his old self in the last few games of the season. If Winnik cares more about money than going for the Cup, then by all means.

I'm actually more upset about giving up a high 2nd for Moore. And even more upset about the fact that DW made panic moves after weve been burned so many times by rentals.

Iron Chef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:05 PM
murdock1116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post
Im with you. McGinn didn't look like a completely different player in Colorado. And truly, he even regressed back to his old self in the last few games of the season. If Winnik cares more about money than going for the Cup, then by all means.

I'm actually more upset about giving up a high 2nd for Moore. And even more upset about the fact that DW made panic moves after weve been burned so many times by rentals.
Agreed! That was a MUCH worse trade than the McGinn one.

murdock1116 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:06 PM
19sharks19

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyball View Post
I agree. Add in the loss of McGinn and that trade just looks awful on D.W.

19sharks19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:15 PM
ramstoria

I think it's safe to assume that Winnik burned bridges in the few months that he was here with DW, Tmac, maybe with players, who knows. But I'm sure the organization has their reasons for not offering a contact to him. Oh well.

ramstoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:29 PM
hockeyball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Chef View Post

I wouldnt be surprised if he still re-signs here. My bet is he's not really interested in dealing with contract negotiations at the moment but has some kind of verbal agreement with DW to re-sign once (hopefully) things stabalize with his wife. I really doubt he wants to move cities right now, but he's keeping his options open depending on how things go.

hockeyball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:33 PM
hateseed
TentacleGrapeSoda

vCash: 116
In a world where everything shakes out at fair value the McGinn trade is now god awful. That said, teams add or hemorrhage players all the time, and if you consider that we lost a bottom-6 forward to free-agency, just like many other teams this year, it's not so bad in context. It just shows the big risk involved in trading for players who aren't locked down. When you consider we did the same for Burns, who could have left too, but who we were able to re-sign for 5 years, I'll take this in stride...

hateseed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:35 PM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by KzooShark View Post
He said that July 3rd. Odds are he started negotiating with him shortly after the team was eliminated from the playoffs. So, about two months.
We were out of the playoffs two months before July 3rd?

Old
07-20-2012, 01:37 PM
AnderFunk

A 2nd and a 3rd for Moore and Sheppard is also looking pretty bad right now

Old
07-20-2012, 01:39 PM
Kitten Mittons

2nd for Moore
3rd for Sheppard
McGinn, Connolly, Sgarbossa for Galiardi

In hindsight, bad trades. I didn't like the last two at the time nor do I know but 2nd for Moore was a good idea.

Kitten Mittons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-20-2012, 01:47 PM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitten Mittons View Post
2nd for Moore
3rd for Sheppard
McGinn, Connolly, Sgarbossa for Galiardi

In hindsight, bad trades. I didn't like the last two at the time nor do I know but 2nd for Moore was a good idea.
If Moore gets signed for a decent contract then the trades look better