HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Longer leash for Hordichuk, Eager, Sutton?

Old
07-03-2012, 03:38 PM
Beer League King

vCash: 500
Longer leash for Hordichuk, Eager, Sutton?

Hordichuk is on Team 1260 and Gregor tweeted this:

"I thought it was clear when we were a 29th place team, and guys, Jared Boll, were taking runs at guys," Hordichuk if he had shackles on.

From the sounds of it Renney really hamstrung our "enforcers", and that Krueger is willing to let them do a bit more.

Thoughts on this?

Beer League King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 03:56 PM
oiletsky

Poor Eager only had like 5mins/game and probably didn't want to spend it in the penalty box. Hope to see more of him.

Torres is a UFA

Last edited by oiletsky: 07-03-2012 at 04:11 PM.
oiletsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Beerfish

Every single coach we have had since Sather has hamstrung the tough guys. MacT and Renney were especially bad. The team has essentially squandered a couple of years where we could afford to have a few players 'snap' and take the long suspension, major penalty or the fine. Now that the team should be better and if we are close to the playoffs we won't be able to afford to do so and thus we will keep the long line of young players on the DL.

Beerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:12 PM
lakai17

vCash: 637
lets sign D.J King!! he will fight anyone in the league.

get on the DJ King wagon, he's Dwight Kings older brother.

lakai17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:17 PM
jsho

Quote:
Originally Posted by oiletsky View Post
Poor Eager only had like 5mins/game and probably didn't want to spend it in the penalty box. Hope to see more of him.

Torres is a UFA
No he isn't. Still 1 year left.

Didnt Hordichuk say something like "I'm fine with getting a few suspensions just to let people know I'm still crazy" a few days ago when he was signed. The leash literally may be lose this year.

jsho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:22 PM
Jepprey
Creeper

I think most of us knew Renney tamed the so-called "tough" guys on the team. Too many times, HFOil cried in anger for the lack of push back from the tough guy after hits..

With that said, I don't mind Hordichuk or Eager playing 5-8 mins per game, just means more ice time for Hall. It's also more than likely that Smyth's minutes will decrease as well.

Jepprey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:32 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Interestingly, the beatdown of Jared Boll was Hordichuk's most effective game of the season. Boll and Dorsett taking runs, Hordichuk smacks the former and walks over to the Jackets' bench to let them know what's what. He understands his role and IF Krueger will really give him a longer leash then at least we'll see a bit of push back.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:33 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsho View Post
No he isn't. Still 1 year left.

Didnt Hordichuk say something like "I'm fine with getting a few suspensions just to let people know I'm still crazy" a few days ago when he was signed. The leash literally may be lose this year.
That's awesome.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:43 PM
swany

When Kruger and Sutter were up for coach i posted Hordy's comments on Kruger "he takes time for all players from skilled guy to grunt to fighter he would sit with me after games going through my shifts telling me where I should have been trying to make me a better player" he will play 8-10 min a night and send a message. Shackles off

swany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:55 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 267
I'm really questioning why Renney wasn't fired in Feb or March and Kreuger given interim role. The more and more I hear interviews the more I hear people saying "not that what Renney was doing wasn't right", which generally isn't a good thing.

Then again it's been the same 4 interviews on local radio the past week.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 04:57 PM
joestevens29

vCash: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by swany View Post
When Kruger and Sutter were up for coach i posted Hordy's comments on Kruger "he takes time for all players from skilled guy to grunt to fighter he would sit with me after games going through my shifts telling me where I should have been trying to make me a better player" he will play 8-10 min a night and send a message. Shackles off
I don't think Hordi is going to get that type of minutes and he's said that. What he wants is to play when he can have an impact, he said he can play the same minutes as last year and make a way bigger impact. Needs to be out when the team is down 4-0 or when guys are getting chippy.

joestevens29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:02 PM
jumptheshark
the burn out

vCash: 50
We shall see. In European Hockey there is no fighting and other sily stuff (not at the higher level) nad Kruager is from a European Hockey background, But hopefully there will be less BS with our kids being hit

Heaven wont take me and hell is afraid I'd take 0ver
jumptheshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:06 PM
Beer League King

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumptheshark View Post
We shall see. In European Hockey there is no fighting and other sily stuff (not at the higher level) nad Kruager is from a European Hockey background, But hopefully there will be less BS with our kids being hit
But he grew up playing hockey in Canada, so he knows how it is. Plus he's noted for coaching the Swiss team to play a more "Canadian" style.

Beer League King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:13 PM
CornKicker
Still burning Lowood

vCash: 694
Quote:
Originally Posted by joestevens29 View Post
I don't think Hordi is going to get that type of minutes and he's said that. What he wants is to play when he can have an impact, he said he can play the same minutes as last year and make a way bigger impact. Needs to be out when the team is down 4-0 or when guys are getting chippy.
or when we are up 5-0

CornKicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:31 PM
I am the Liquor

vCash: 150
Encouraging interview.

The real test will come once they start playing games.

Does Krueger play Hordichuk after the first period?

We will have to wait and see.

I am the Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:09 PM
Hockey Fan #751

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bored Man View Post
Interestingly, the beatdown of Jared Boll was Hordichuk's most effective game of the season. Boll and Dorsett taking runs, Hordichuk smacks the former and walks over to the Jackets' bench to let them know what's what. He understands his role and IF Krueger will really give him a longer leash then at least we'll see a bit of push back.
I actually thought Hordichuk's most effective game was against Minnesota when he drew two double minors from Staubitz. That was at the very least the game where he contributed most to the outcome.

Hockey Fan #751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
The Bored Man
Tier 2 Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockey Fan #751 View Post
I actually thought Hordichuk's most effective game was against Minnesota when he drew two double minors from Staubitz. That was at the very least the game where he contributed most to the outcome.
Oh yeah, I forgot about that one. Funny stuff.

The Bored Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:21 PM
thadd
Oil4Life

Send a message via MSN to thadd
If they aren't given a longer leash they're going to be paperweights.

thadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:38 PM
UnrefinedCrude

vCash: 833
This is all very encouraging to me, I have long been against how soft our coaching staff has been.

renney was brutal. We need to establish a physical presence.

UnrefinedCrude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:58 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Mact preached the Detroit model, which made zero sense since they didn't have the talent to burn teams on the powerplay, nor was he a coach who had a clue how to run one.

Renny was the ultimate "turn the cheek" coach, turn the cheek from the refs, turn the cheek from the dirty plays. He had a dynamic powerplay to fall back on, but it certainly didn't help much and the players were still getting run, and became downright crippling when penalties stop being called.

Under both coaches it was apparent that it was more than just the enforcers that were hamstrung. Discipline is a great thing at the NHL level which both coaches were big on, but as a gameplan it's misleading as disciplined hockey's definition can vary from team to team depending on ref bias(Detroit anyone?).

While I hope Kreuger will play Eager/Hordi more, I hope a lot more that he'll reward players for standing up for their teammates rather than relying on two 4th liners to cover for the entire team. It's a team game, not the superstars and their paid servants and bodyguards, and even the enforcers need to know that their teammates will have their back if the **** hits the fan too.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:19 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
An Eager that feels appreciated and a Hordichuk let loose sounds great to me. I can't wait to see some beatdowns. Hopefully Eager can get back to the guy who made the Canucks players lives hell.

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

I like Krueger but the last thing I ever want to see is guys like Eager with more shifts.

I'd be fine with not ever seeing him at all.

What a bunch of bs attribution. Guys like EAger don't do **** all the entire season but its now conveniently blame the coach time.

Could just be Eager is useless and has never known or played to his role in any of the teams he's played for.

Yeah, could be that.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:49 PM
Puritania
Skooma Addict

vCash: 423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Replacement View Post
I like Krueger but the last thing I ever want to see is guys like Eager with more shifts.

I'd be fine with not ever seeing him at all.

What a bunch of bs attribution. Guys like EAger don't do **** all the entire season but its now conveniently blame the coach time.

Could just be Eager is useless and has never known or played to his role in any of the teams he's played for.

Yeah, could be that.
Is it possible for you to post without a condescending attitude?

Puritania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Replacement
Now with 9% more zen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puritania View Post
Is it possible for you to post without a condescending attitude?
Being that I didn't quote anybody or direct the post at anybody who did I condescend to?

Eager being useless last season is all on Eager. The most agressive he got all year was punching out a HDTV camera.

Now if you called me on dripping sarcasm then you got something. Its an occasional weakness.

Replacement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Eytinge

Hordi loves to talk up the media with this kinda stuff. Did it in Vancity all the time.

Eytinge is offline   Reply With Quote