HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Reasons to be Excited About the Upcoming Season... Even Without Free Agent Additions

Old
06-30-2012, 01:05 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

vCash: 500
Reasons to be Excited About the Upcoming Season... Even Without Free Agent Additions

I'll be the first to admit - I've been a bit of a Debbie Downer this off-season. Losing Tim Thomas is a huge blow for me, whether we get to make up his cap hit or not. The prospect of going into next year with a team almost identical to 11-12 has me distinctly concerned about our chances come post-season time. There's an ever-looming doubt about the upcoming CBA negotiations and the ramifications when a deal is struck. I've been cynical, upset and a predictor of heartache.

I want to put an end to that **** right now.

Goaltending
Does anyone doubt our tandem? I don't. Maybe I SHOULD. But I've liked Khudobin for a long time and I think Rask is going to take this one year contract and turn it into something special. We've all been waiting for it for a long time and now it's his time to shine. If worse comes to worse, Chiarelli has done a GREAT job of stocking the pipeline. We may not have the top tandem in the league anymore... But now we have something we haven't had in a while. Depth. No more Marty Turco's.

Marchand and Lucic
If these guys are both going at the same time, I don't think the Bruins are beatable without beating themselves. I'm not sure we've seen them both firing at all cylinders at once. But they are near impossible to contain when they're on their ****. They could make our top two lines dangerous as hell when they're playing like we know they can. We are so ****ing lucky not only to HAVE both of them - but to not have to play AGAINST them.

Our new #1 Line
Marchand - Bergeron - Seguin
Our top 2 and 3 of our top 5 scorers last season. +101 between the three of them. We may not see a huge increase in Seguin's totals this year, but I think we're in line to see a lot more dirty goals from him and a lot more physical fight. If Segsy becomes a PPG threat... The totals only get better for his linemates. And not only do they score, but they're our best line defensively as well. Selke winner, All-Star and proverbial pain in the ass. You want top-line talent? I'll take these guys with any top line in the NHL.

Our Young Guns
Caron showed a lot more jump and confidence as the season went on last year and for a brief time, was a pretty decent scoring threat. I think he's tasted some success and he's ready to run with it. But the thing is? He's not even our most exciting player. Providence is going to have the tenacious Knight and the wickedly talented Ryan Spooner to call up to spark some offense if need be. They weren't options last season and I can't wait to see either/both of them on the big club.

Add to that Krug and Hamilton on the back end. I know it was only two games last season, but I was impressed with Krug's wheels and MOSTLY with how quickly he made good decisions with the puck. I look forward to seeing more from him. And Dougie Hamilton may be as fun to watch develop as we've been fortunate to observe with Tyler Seguin. COMPLETE package. I'll grit my teeth through the growing pains, because I think Hamilton is ****ing platinum.

Krejci's Comeback
He was on record with his disappointment in his own play last season. We've all seen this guy when he puts his foot down... He's a special player when he's clicking. Be cynical about him all you want - I think he's harder on himself than any of the doubters have been. And he's coming into this year with a goal to shut everyone up. Career-best point totals from Neo this year. I'd be very surprised if I didn't see it.

This may be uncharacteristic coming from me, at least lately. But despite my criticisms, I think Chiarelli is one HELL of a GM. I think he has a plan, he has direction, and the Bruins have identity because of it. I think he's learned from his Corvo/Pouliot mistake of last year and will now refuse to try to pound square pegs into round holes. And top-to-bottom there's not a player on this team that I don't have a profound amount of reverence for. If I look back through the years of being a proud Bruins fan of some really piss-poor teams - I couldn't possibly be more thankful for that.

Or maybe I'm simply learning to love the one I'm with.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:21 AM
MarshmontMcSlewfoot

I agree with all of this. This should be a great season if it starts on time.

This team is still young up front however there is a little more pressure on Seguin, Lucic, and Marchand to match last year's production than most people think. I like all 3 and see good years from each but the team as it is built will need those 3 guys to score close to 100 goals between them (unless Horton comes back with a monster campaign.)

That is just a lot of pressure and I could see this year being one when we are unbeatable 20-30 games but suck and rely on the goalies to steal us points the rest of the time.

I also want to assume our PP will be better but I think it could cost us the #1 seed in the playoffs if it still sucks.

All that said even if next year is an abortion and we sneak in as an 8 seed there is no reason we can't do what the Kings did (I am predicting LA to miss the playoffs through lack of motivation b/c Chicago almost missed them year after they won.)

MarshmontMcSlewfoot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 01:21 AM
gillesgilbert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

I'll be the first to admit - I've been a bit of a Debbie Downer this off-season. Losing Tim Thomas is a huge blow for me, whether we get to make up his cap hit or not. The prospect of going into next year with a team almost identical to 11-12 has me distinctly concerned about our chances come post-season time. There's an ever-looming doubt about the upcoming CBA negotiations and the ramifications when a deal is struck. I've been cynical, upset and a predictor of heartache.

Goaltending
Does anyone doubt our tandem? I don't. Maybe I SHOULD. But I've liked Khudobin for a long time and I think Rask is going to take this one year contract and turn it into something special. We've all been waiting for it for a long time and now it's his time to shine. If worse comes to worse, Chiarelli has done a GREAT job of stocking the pipeline. We may not have the top tandem in the league anymore... But now we have something we haven't had in a while. Depth. No more Marty Turco's.

Marchand and Lucic
If these guys are both going at the same time, I don't think the Bruins are beatable without beating themselves. I'm not sure we've seen them both firing at all cylinders at once. But they are near impossible to contain when they're on their ****. They could make our top two lines dangerous as hell when they're playing like we know they can. We are so ****ing lucky not only to HAVE both of them - but to not have to play AGAINST them.

Our new #1 Line
Our top 2 and 3 of our top 5 scorers last season. +101 between the three of them. We may not see a huge increase in Seguin's totals this year, but I think we're in line to see a lot more dirty goals from him and a lot more physical fight. If Segsy becomes a PPG threat... The totals only get better for his linemates. And not only do they score, but they're our best line defensively as well. Selke winner, All-Star and proverbial pain in the ass. You want top-line talent? I'll take these guys with any top line in the NHL.

Our Young Guns
Caron showed a lot more jump and confidence as the season went on last year and for a brief time, was a pretty decent scoring threat. I think he's tasted some success and he's ready to run with it. But the thing is? He's not even our most exciting player. Providence is going to have the tenacious Knight and the wickedly talented Ryan Spooner to call up to spark some offense if need be. They weren't options last season and I can't wait to see either/both of them on the big club.

Add to that Krug and Hamilton on the back end. I know it was only two games last season, but I was impressed with Krug's wheels and MOSTLY with how quickly he made good decisions with the puck. I look forward to seeing more from him. And Dougie Hamilton may be as fun to watch develop as we've been fortunate to observe with Tyler Seguin. COMPLETE package. I'll grit my teeth through the growing pains, because I think Hamilton is ****ing platinum.

Krejci's Comeback
He was on record with his disappointment in his own play last season. We've all seen this guy when he puts his foot down... He's a special player when he's clicking. Be cynical about him all you want - I think he's harder on himself than any of the doubters have been. And he's coming into this year with a goal to shut everyone up. Career-best point totals from Neo this year. I'd be very surprised if I didn't see it.

This may be uncharacteristic coming from me, at least lately. But despite my criticisms, I think Chiarelli is one HELL of a GM. I think he has a plan, he has direction, and the Bruins have identity because of it. I think he's learned from his Corvo/Pouliot mistake of last year and will now refuse to try to pound square pegs into round holes. And top-to-bottom there's not a player on this team that I don't have a profound amount of reverence for. If I look back through the years of being a proud Bruins fan of some really piss-poor teams - I couldn't possibly be more thankful for that.

I like your optimism .I am a little more cautious.If everything goes as you suggest ,the B's will have a great year.The only concern I have is putting much faith in young players who are largely unproven.Hamilton may come in and be a Rookie of the year candidate,who knows?I still think the B's need a legit top 9 forward.

gillesgilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 02:01 AM
XtremeofParanoia

I want Spooner over Caron on the 3rd line. Might just be me.

XtremeofParanoia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 03:54 AM
kman22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

Goaltending

Marchand and Lucic

Our new #1 Line

Our Young Guns

Krejci's Comeback

First off, this is a breath of fresh air.

One thing to add, the return of nathan horton, the happiest hockey player I've ever seen.

kman22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 05:19 AM
SpokedLightning
Overpaid 4th Liner

vCash: 167
Nice post MMB! I too am excited about the upcoming season even if the team stays as is. It gets way to negative in here sometimes. Our B's team as currently formed are cup contender's if clicking on all cylinders. It's going to be a fun year I think. There are fans of alot of teams that can't say that.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:07 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

Quote:
Originally Posted by XtremeofParanoia View Post
I want either him or Knight just feel they are better

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 06:23 AM
Alan Ryan

Thanks MMB. You know the game and it has been a bit hard to see you down on the team's chances.

You have captured how I feel about this team in your comprehensive post. They might not have the line-up of heavy talent like a Pittsburgh, but they are young, talented and have a bright future.

I can't wait for the season to get underway.

Alan Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:00 AM
bbfan419

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly23 View Post
I like both Knight and Spooner as well, but I think Caron has earned the right to at least start the season with the big club, if he falters you can then call up someone. Also will be good for Spooner and Knight to get in some time with the AHL team first.

bbfan419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:02 AM
DKH

Send a message via AIM to DKH
Quote:
he's a true center, has played little on the wing and at the wing would be nullifying his strengths- so many stops and starts, banging, less area to operate. If Spooner makes it then Kelly has to move over to wing. He'll be on either one of the top two lines in Providence and if playing as hoped will be a guy who can play top 9 if and when the guys in Boston go down for any period of time,

You need that 5th guy playing regulary and well in the minors- that was something they did not have last season during callups. Hamill got a lot of chances but just didn't grab hold of it.

Caron seems to be getting a lot of 'meh' here but the only thing I see him lacking is consistency and some more grit- that is mind training; he has all the physical ability from size, shot, defensive awareness- heck, he played on the Canadien WJC over Seguin because he could check and play a shutdown roll.

I want to see him get a good look- and remember he had a few gems- that game in Toronto he was fantastic.

DKH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:32 AM
ODAAT

I`ll call a spade a spade, I get pumped for every start to the NHL season with our boys, and that goes for those years where in my heart I knew the personel that was in place wasn`t that solid, 100%, unabashed, Bruin bias here

That said, again, can`t wait to see the possibilities of Hamilton manning the blueline this coming year, there will be some hiccups along the way for the kid but I love the pattern that Chia and Cam have established of each year, a prospect or two making their way into the Bruin roster gaining valuable experience.

What I`m most excited for is 2012/2013, which, and this is a big if but if Spooner/Knight/maybe Koko start making bigtime pushes for jobs. Next summer will be one where Chia will be his busiest with Segs/Looch/Rask (although he said he`ll try and lock him up in January if he proves he can do it and I think Bergy will have to be re-signed<<< could be the next summer not sure about Bergy??

I didn`t mention Horty with respect as I just can`t say if he`ll be in the plans.

If there`s one GM who I trust can retain players, it`s Chia. I may not 100% agree with whom he thinks is the "core" but the guy does one thing consistently, re-sign his players.

Last edited by ODAAT: 06-30-2012 at 08:01 AM.
ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:42 AM
Killer B
Honey Badger

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I also want to assume our PP will be better
This is our most important offseason need. Our powerplay has sucked for far to long.
Improve the pp (20%-25%) and we can beat anybody in a 7 game series.

Killer B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:45 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharaTriedToEatMe View Post
I agree with all of this. This should be a great season if it starts on time.

This team is still young up front however there is a little more pressure on Seguin, Lucic, and Marchand to match last year's production than most people think. I like all 3 and see good years from each but the team as it is built will need those 3 guys to score close to 100 goals between them (unless Horton comes back with a monster campaign.)

That is just a lot of pressure and I could see this year being one when we are unbeatable 20-30 games but suck and rely on the goalies to steal us points the rest of the time.

I also want to assume our PP will be better but I think it could cost us the #1 seed in the playoffs if it still sucks.

All that said even if next year is an abortion and we sneak in as an 8 seed there is no reason we can't do what the Kings did (I am predicting LA to miss the playoffs through lack of motivation b/c Chicago almost missed them year after they won.)
My hope is that the PP improves, I can`t allow myself to automatically assume, it`s gotten me into a situation of having to spend hours on my therapists couch by doing so

I`d like to see Segs be more of the focal point this season, love his quick puck movement, I`d like to see him add a bit of patience believe it or not, almost the polar opposite of DK, sometimes gets so quick with his insistence on moving the puck, leads to a giveaway at times, a touch more patience and the kid`ll be dynamite on the PP giving/taking feeds from Dougie for years to come

Old
06-30-2012, 07:46 AM
Spoon fed

What a boost providence is going to have.
Spooner / Bourque / Knight / Krug / Button, etc...

Living close to providence, it's going to be a good value for the ticket. I'm excited. We'll also see if Cassidy can coach.

Spoon fed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 07:53 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer B View Post
This is our most important offseason need. Our powerplay has sucked for far to long.
Improve the pp (20%-25%) and we can beat anybody in a 7 game series.
this is why I want them to go after Jagr for a year... give him tons of PP time and sheltered minutes, and he won't deflate to the end of the year like the past season.

Reasons to be exicted:

-Let's not forget, we still have a very good team that can blow out anyone on any given night.

- The further development of Seguin, and the first steps of Dougie

-Can Marchand and Horton score 30 for the first time in Bruins colours?

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:00 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
this is why I want them to go after Jagr for a year... give him tons of PP time and sheltered minutes, and he won't deflate to the end of the year like the past season.

Reasons to be exicted:

-Let's not forget, we still have a very good team that can blow out anyone on any given night.

- The further development of Seguin, and the first steps of Dougie

-Can Marchand and Horton score 30 for the first time in Bruins colours?
Don`t set yourself up for potential disappointment, hardly suspect anyone`s getting singed outside potentially a 7th d-man and even then...

Old
06-30-2012, 08:11 AM
Ratty

My optimism is tempered by the idea that you are counting on Nathan Horton producing in a top six role. I haven't seen any evidence that he is not recovered, but putting faith in him to repeat his pre-concussion production, is overly optimistic.

Ratty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:19 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

You're sure right about Marchand and Lucic. They're the two players of ours every other fanbase HATES, which is a good sign about how effective they are.

I suspect this team will go as far as their defensemen permit.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:28 AM
Schalkenullvier*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODAAT View Post
Don`t set yourself up for potential disappointment, hardly suspect anyone`s getting singed outside potentially a 7th d-man and even then...
Oh I don't expect anything on July 1, Chiarelli isn't a flashy GM. Just said what I would do

Schalkenullvier* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:41 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schalkenullvier View Post
Oh I don't expect anything on July 1, Chiarelli isn't a flashy GM. Just said what I would do
I`m ok with what you said too, those here wanting/expecting a big move are just going to be plain angry

Old
06-30-2012, 08:50 AM
Dojji*
Fight the Hate

Chia's plan is clearly for the current core to hold the team together until the youth movement coughs up another round of decent level players. Maybe a few moves to shore up the middle of the roster but the stars are pretty much coming from the farm in his mind.

Dojji* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:52 AM
bruinsfan46

Quote:
Quote:
I just think us fans have seen too much of Caron without him showing enough offensively. He finally looked a little better late last year. Should be some healthy competition.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:03 AM
WreckItRask

Good thread. The #1 reason why I'm excited for the upcoming season...they're now a full season removed from a long cup run. That means you have a room full of proven winners, with an entire offseason devoid of drinking from the Stanley Cup, and hungry to prove to the league that 2011 wasn't a fluke. Aside from the quotes to validate it, this year's Bruins team just looked like a group that was playing games 101-183, rather than games 1-82.

WreckItRask is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:30 AM
Oates2Neely

I would try the Jagr experiment,, place him right alongside Lucic & Krejci.

Oates2Neely is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:52 AM
agreen23

Quote:
Not that they are necessarily better, they are different. They bring explosion, talent and speed to the third line. Knight with his drive and his shot and spooner with his hands, vision and creativity not to mention he is faast as ****.

agreen23 is offline   Reply With Quote