HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Edmonton and Boston looking at a potential deal?

Old
07-03-2012, 05:41 PM
BrainOfJ
Playoff Odds: 24.5%

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
If Colt is saying it I'm not going to file it under the Eklund file. Colt said Hemsky and Boychuk were the main parts. If there were more it could make sense. In my opinion a defenseman would have to be coming back.
Ryan Whitney? I would like that...but we would have to hire the best med team in the league.

BrainOfJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:42 PM
bp13

I like the skill addition and I think Boychuk is mediocre. However I think we desperately need a LH forward and our defense looks just a bit thin with this kind of deal. I say pass.

bp13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:44 PM
jmeehan1985

Any chance we can do this deal without Boychuk involved. How about Mcquaid Or Ference and Thomas

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:53 PM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

Makes sense for Edmonton. Not so much for Boston. Fair trade value or not.

I'd have to see what the other pieces were.

It would HAVE to mean that Chiarelli was acquiring two defensemen seperately from this. And one of them a top four.

Not digging on the idea. I like Hemsky (always have). But his contract, his injury history and his RH shot are ill-fitted to the team right now.

Mr. Make-Believe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 05:58 PM
petrobruin

Anyone hear if Max Chudinov is coming to coming to camp?

He gives us options on D.

petrobruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:05 PM
BrainOfJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrobruin View Post
Anyone hear if Max Chudinov is coming to coming to camp?

He gives us options on D.
The dollar menu gives you options at McDonald's but they'll still all give you a heart attack

Old
07-03-2012, 06:07 PM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainOfJ View Post
Im sure the NTC wouldn't be a problem in this deal as Boychuk is from Edmonton, the Oilers are a prestigious franchise(even if they've been **** lately) and have the brightest future in the NHL(thanks to tanks).

However, the only way this works for us is if we go ahead and sign Ryan Suter right afterwards....unless you want Krug, Hamilton, AND the highly coveted defender on a two way contract Chiarelli is talking about playing....not even Tim Thomas himself could look good with that defense.
you think Boychuk would waive his NTC just because he's from Edmonton, and they we
re good and may be again? ?

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:10 PM
petrobruin

He is at least

Quote:
The dollar menu gives you options at McDonald's but they'll still all give you a heart attack
A Wendys Single.

Petr

petrobruin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:13 PM
Colt.45Orr

Folks, I don't know if there has even been any official talk on this front between mang, only that Hemsky is available and the Oilers staff was to put together a list of good Dmen to target in any potential Hemsky deal and Boychuk is a name that has been pinging on their radar.

I'm well aware that he has a NTC, but the Oilers want a Dman in his early prime that can grow with their amazing young core --but they have a lot of players that they like that they know will not waive to go there and more players that they suspect would bolt when they get the chance at free agency. Boychuk does not fall under the category of wanting to bolt Edmonton and this makes him even more valuable to them.

Boston seems pretty content (at least outwardly) to sit pat with what they have right now but I would be interested to hear what would/or has happened regarding the Oilers/Boychuk.

Colt.45Orr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:14 PM
BrainOfJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
you think Boychuk would waive his NTC just because he's from Edmonton, and they were good once?
Missed that minor brightest future in the NHL part...but I don't think its that farfetched to think a hometown kid who grew up watching and rooting for the oilers dynasty would consider waiving his NTC when his team wants to deal him there...

do you?

Old
07-03-2012, 06:23 PM
IrishPaulie
Sooshii is AWESOME!!

Send a message via AIM to IrishPaulie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post
Folks, I don't know if there has even been any official talk on this front between mang, only that Hemsky is available and the Oilers staff was to put together a list of good Dmen to target in any potential Hemsky deal and Boychuk is a name that has been pinging on their radar.

I'm well aware that he has a NTC, but the Oilers want a Dman in his early prime that can grow with their amazing young core --but they have a lot of players that they like that they know will not waive to go there and more players that they suspect would bolt when they get the chance at free agency. Boychuk does not fall under the category of wanting to bolt Edmonton and this makes him even more valuable to them.

Boston seems pretty content (at least outwardly) to sit pat with what they have right now but I would be interested to hear what would/or has happened regarding the Oilers/Boychuk.
Boston is just too thin on D for this to make any sense. Boychuk plays a real physical brand of hockey with some offense 20+ minutes a night and that fits this system well.

Without him you're suddenly looking at:

Chara-xxxx
Seids-McQuaid/Ference
Ference/McQuaid-Hamilton

This trade would make a bigger hole in an area we're weaker in. I don't see why the Bruins would be interested?

IrishPaulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:25 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Missed that minor brightest future in the NHL part...but I don't think its that farfetched to think a hometown kid who grew up watching and rooting for the oilers dynasty would consider waiving his NTC when his team wants to deal him there...

do you?
Anything can happen to be honest.

Staal gave up a sweet contract with the Penguins and possibly another Cup or two and went to a crappy team just to play with his brother. (That and being the #1 center)

It's not out of the question that Boychuk would want to play in Edmonton.
But I also think he's a big team guy and that he loves the Bruins

SerenityRick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:28 PM
Rookie Chargers

Send a message via ICQ to Rookie Chargers
Quote:
Im sure the NTC wouldn't be a problem in this deal as Boychuk is from Edmonton, the Oilers are a prestigious franchise(even if they've been **** lately) and have the brightest future in the NHL(thanks to tanks).

However, the only way this works for us is if we go ahead and sign Ryan Suter right afterwards....unless you want Krug, Hamilton, AND the highly coveted defender on a two way contract Chiarelli is talking about playing....not even Tim Thomas himself could look good with that defense.
What I think could be happening is the team/teams Parise and Suter are signing with need to move contracts before they actually sign. The sad thing about this is that I don't picture the Bruins involved.

Rookie Chargers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:32 PM
SpitfireIX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt.45Orr View Post

Hey Colt what about McQuaid he would definatley fit Edmonton's criteria.

SpitfireIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:33 PM
cat400

Hemsky was the 1st round pick that the Bruins gave up in the Carter - Guerin trade.

Patrice Bergeron was the compensatory pick that the Bruins received when Guerin bolted to the Stars.

Hemsky's history of injuries and high cap hit is too big of a risk given that it is not 100% certain that Nathan Horton will be ready when the season begins.

cat400 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 06:40 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Scarecrow View Post
If Colt is saying it I'm not going to file it under the Eklund file. Colt said Hemsky and Boychuk were the main parts. If there were more it could make sense. In my opinion a defenseman would have to be coming back.
Edmonton has no defensemen, they' are thinner than we are.

I'm not a big fan of Boychuk's but unless something else is planned this makes no sense to me.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by agreen23 View Post
5 million dollar cap hit. injury prone. another RW/right hander. we're thin on D. no thanks.
Without Horton, we got exactly 0 natural RW in our top9.
Good point.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:09 PM
00BW

Maybe the Bruins like the idea of a Hamilton - Krug defensive line? Seems a bit risky right now but awesome in a year.

If it was this I think I'd be OK with Boston becoming Czech East.

To Bos:
Hemsky
Smid

To Edm:
Boychuck
Caron

In that '06 year Edmonton went to the finals, Hemsky had really solid playoff numbers. If he's healthy he would be a solid top 6 contributor. And if that means Horton is bumped down to the 3rd line with Kelly and Peverly, that just means more offense all around.

00BW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:16 PM
Orrthebest

What about signing Matt Carle to replace Boychuck.

Orrthebest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:24 PM
FutureConsiderations

Regardless of veracity, I don't like this deal. Never been a Hemsky fan and I'm having a very tough time imagining him in a Bruins uniform. Boychuk is what he is, and that's a versatile, mostly reliable bottom-four defenseman.

FutureConsiderations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:25 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00BW View Post
Maybe the Bruins like the idea of a Hamilton - Krug defensive line? Seems a bit risky right now but awesome in a year.

If it was this I think I'd be OK with Boston becoming Czech East.

To Bos:
Hemsky
Smid

To Edm:
Boychuck
Caron

In that '06 year Edmonton went to the finals, Hemsky had really solid playoff numbers. If he's healthy he would be a solid top 6 contributor. And if that means Horton is bumped down to the 3rd line with Kelly and Peverly, that just means more offense all around.
I could get on board with this, however I strongly doubt Edmonton would. Big fan of Smid's game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orrthebest View Post
What about signing Matt Carle to replace Boychuck.
For close to $6 million a year in terms of cap hit? No way.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattAndersonBTR View Post
I could get on board with this, however I strongly doubt Edmonton would. Big fan of Smid's game.
I like Smid a lot too, but like you I can't see why Edmonton does this, other than to get out from Hemky's contract. That might make it worth it for them, but i don't know.

What about instead of Smid they give us the RFA rights to Peckham.

He seems like the kinda guy the B's like.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
DJENTLEMAN
INTJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post
I like Smid a lot too, but like you I can't see why Edmonton does this, other than to get out from Hemky's contract. That might make it worth it for them, but i don't know.

Even though he was qualified by Edmonton, I don't think he's going to be retained for anything other than his fighting - says a lot considering their lack of defensive depth.

DJENTLEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Braunbaer
also a giraffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Quincy View Post

Rights to Peckham seem more realistic than Smid.
Why trade for Boychuk if you give up Smid? Don't see any reason to do this.

Too bad, PC didn't pursue Hemsky at the trade deadline.

Braunbaer is offline   Reply With Quote