HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

UFA frenzy 2012 Part 2: now with 46% less frenzy than the leading brand.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:03 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 999
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeIFBB View Post
If he wants to win a cup (or advance past game 5 of the WCF), why is he willing to be traded to San Jose?
If we want to win a Cup, why are we trading for a guy with only 4 playoff games on his resume? (And all losses) And potentially trading away Clowe, Pavelski or Couture (all guys who've had key moments for our team in the playoffs.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:17 AM
WTFetus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
If we want to win a Cup, why are we trading for a guy with only 4 playoff games on his resume?
Not that I'm advocating getting Nash (unless it's for like Clowe, Niemi, and a pick), but when you don't have much PO experience, you have to look at his track-record in the minors and at the WCs. For Nash, it's very solid.

WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:27 AM
magic school bus

vCash: 999
The minors and WC's are a big stretch from playoff hockey.

magic school bus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:31 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
Because he has friends on the team in thornton, marleau, boyle. And he knows they are still a good and dangerous team. San jose last year could if went to the cup finals if and only if they didn't face the one and only team in the west that didn't march up well with the sharks.
There were 3 last year, blues, phoenix and the kings would have smoked the sharks the way they played as well.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:32 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Wasn't Nash a stud in the olympics?

Old
07-06-2012, 12:36 AM
WTFetus

Quote:
It isn't perfect, but it's the best available. I know SJeasy uses it to judge playoff "potential" when the sample size is pretty small.
Not to mention, Nash was pretty solid in his 4 NHL PO games considering he was being watched like a hawk by Lidstrom, Datsyuk, and company.

Last edited by WTFetus: 07-06-2012 at 12:51 AM.
WTFetus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:50 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWShark View Post
Wasn't Nash a stud in the olympics?
Not at all. He had 2 goals and 3 assists in 7 games. Guess what other player read that same stat line, despite not playing with Crosby, like Nash? Hint: You hate him.

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Inub0i
I will Q

Send a message via AIM to Inub0i Send a message via MSN to Inub0i Send a message via Skype™ to Inub0i
Has Semin been signed by anyone yet? I asked because I think it's better to get him and then move Pavs to the 3rd rather than trade for Nash's contract, which seems like crippling our team. DW should get to that, but what do I know.

Inub0i is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 12:57 AM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Not at all. He had 2 goals and 3 assists in 7 games. Guess what other player read that same stat line, despite not playing with Crosby, like Nash? Hint: You hate him.
Yeah but he shot a puck so hard it broke the net!

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:07 AM
TheJuxtaposer
Lost a bet

vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkway Drive View Post
Yeah but he shot a puck so hard it broke the net!
Who, Weber? What does he have to do with any of this?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:09 AM
Barrie22
Shark fan in hiding

vCash: 302
Quote:
There were 3 last year, blues, phoenix and the kings would have smoked the sharks the way they played as well.
The kings i highly doubt it. Pheonix is a crapshoot of yes or no, all depends on which goalie showed up, the one who played like roy, or the one that played like boucher.

Barrie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:10 AM
Sharkway Drive
****ing All Star!

Quote:
Who, Weber? What does he have to do with any of this?
crap for some reason I read Weber instead of Nash. Probably because of the hub-bub in the other thread. Just disregard and continue.

Sharkway Drive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:34 AM
CrazedZooChimp
Not enough guts

vCash: 1875
Send a message via AIM to CrazedZooChimp
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
He has been with the org for nine seasons now and in that time the club made the playoffs once. Sure, you could argue that he may be part of the problem, but I think one could also argue that he has been pretty patient with the Jackets.
I'm sorry, if players don't want to get "stuck" somewhere, they shouldn't sign absurdly long cap-circumventing contracts. The point of free agency is to allow the player to decide to change teams, and the point of trading is to allow teams to change players.

CrazedZooChimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 01:58 AM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedZooChimp View Post
I'm sorry, if players don't want to get "stuck" somewhere, they shouldn't sign absurdly long cap-circumventing contracts. The point of free agency is to allow the player to decide to change teams, and the point of trading is to allow teams to change players.
Or they could do what they have been doing. Sign an absurdly long contract, circumvention or otherwise, with a full no-move clause, request a trade, and give them a list of where they want to go. They negotiated for these rights and they rarely are in a position to exercise them as opposed to a team that can ship most of these guys w/o so much as a phone call prior to it occurring.

All teams need to do is a better job of covering their ass in this situation. All they have to do is negotiate a caveat in their movement clause. If they want out, they must give a negotiated list of teams with their written request for a trade and the team must trade them in a negotiated amount of time. Outside of that caveat, they can give them a full no-move clause at their discretion.

Instances like Jeff Carter and Mike Richards are exactly why I support players in this regard. Those guys negotiated a long contract for the team's benefit that included clauses in their contract for movement purposes. Then the GM ships them out prior to their clauses kicking in and the acquiring team decides to kill that clause as it is their option. So then those guys just got robbed millions of dollars for nothing.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 02:03 AM
hohosaregood

Wellwood isn't signed for next season is he? Does anybody think he'd want to come back or if there's any interest in him coming back?

hohosaregood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:05 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inub0i View Post
Has Semin been signed by anyone yet? I asked because I think it's better to get him and then move Pavs to the 3rd rather than trade for Nash's contract, which seems like crippling our team. DW should get to that, but what do I know.
I believe he currently has offers on the table from the NHL and KHL, and is considering which NHL offer to take up since he wants to stay in the NHL.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 03:38 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie22 View Post
The kings i highly doubt it. Pheonix is a crapshoot of yes or no, all depends on which goalie showed up, the one who played like roy, or the one that played like boucher.
Highly doubt it? Did you watch the playoffs? LA walked thru the top 3 seeds in the western conference like they were AHL teams. That was one of the single most dominant cup runs in the last 20 years. I love the sharks but I'm not deluded enough to think they stood a chance against the kings the way they played in the playoffs this year. They were like a machine and that's not even talking about how unbelievable Quick was. He didn't take a round off like Niemi did when he won the cup with Chicago.

Phoenix schooled us all season similar to the blues. They won 4 of 6 games and shut the sharks out 3 times. That's getting beat soundly. Which goalie? Smith was one of the best in the playoffs this year..? They were a terrible matchup if we faced them. Did you watch any of the games other than sharks blues?

Old
07-06-2012, 03:40 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Who is it you think I hate? I don't remember Ott being on that team... Pronger?

Oh Marleau? So should we start talking about quality of competition etc etc... Pretty sure if Nash played with Crosby he was seeing the best defensemen and best checking forwards. So if Nash's stat line was the same as Marleaus that mean he actually did better than Marleau considering the matchups he faced...

Wasn't Marleau essentially on the 3rd line in the Olympics along with Joe and Heater? So Nash was considered a 1st line winger on one of the greatest Canadian allstar teams... All things being equal, I'll take Nash everytime and twice on Tuesdays. ;P

And just for the record, I don't hate Marleau. Love the guy. But it's time to move on. If he want's to renegotiate his contract down to 5 mil I would keep him.

Last edited by NWShark*: 07-06-2012 at 03:48 AM.
Old
07-06-2012, 03:51 AM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

Quote:
Who is it you think I hate? I don't remember Ott being on that team... Pronger?

Oh Marleau? So should we start talking about quality of competition etc etc... Pretty sure if Nash played with Crosby he was seeing the best defensemen and best checking forwards. So if Nash's stat line was the same as Marleaus that mean he actually did better than Marleau considering the matchups he faced...

Oh my god the excuses for Nash keep on piling up. That's one of the weakest excuses I've heard for him in a long time.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 04:09 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mafoofoo View Post
Oh my god the excuses for Nash keep on piling up. That's one of the weakest excuses I've heard for him in a long time.
how is that an excuse? The other guy said he had the same stat line as Marleau in the tourny. Hardly see how they're comparable. You guys debate the quality of competition ad naseum so now that it casts Marleau in a less than favorable light it an excuse for Nash? Sorry I don't think so. The reality is that too many people here keep making excuses for a $7 mil player... I don't even want Nash, I would rather have Semin. But I'll take either over Marleau at this point in their careers.

Old
07-06-2012, 04:18 AM
Blades of Glory
Troll Captain

I don't understand what you guys are arguing about. Both Marleau and Nash played huge roles in the 2010 Olympics. They ranked second and third in ice time among Canadian forwards (only behind Sidney Crosby). Mike Babcock used Marleau as his top penalty-killing forward. Canada's entire top line (Nash-Crosby-Iginla) struggled in the preliminary round, but they really turned it on in the medal round.

I'm not even sure why this is even a talking point. A player's Olympic/international performance is irrelevant in every sense of the imagination when discussing their ability as an NHL player.

Blades of Glory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 06:24 AM
oyster

Trading for Nash is a terrible idea. Can we please move on? He's a great player but he's not going to be worth $7.8 million in 6 years. Don't forget that acquiring him would take a lot for what would be at BEST a lateral move and chances are he's due to start seeing some significant point reduction from here on out. The Sharks need more secondary scoring. That doesn't mean throwing scrubs into the top 6 and moving Pavelski down to the 3rd.

If DW makes any trades I'd want him to try and acquire prospects and/or young depth players who can potentially contribute now.

oyster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 09:57 AM
LeeIFBB
Teflon Doug

Is Vlasic going to get an extension this summer?

LeeIFBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:01 AM
Nighthock
**** the Kings...

vCash: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by hohosaregood View Post
Wellwood isn't signed for next season is he? Does anybody think he'd want to come back or if there's any interest in him coming back?
I don't see why not. I'd be happy for a contract anywhere.

Nighthock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:54 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

DarrenDreger: NYR still very interested in Rick Nash, but, they're not willing to wait forever. Currently exploring other options as well. Someone blink.

Wonder if DW is trying to out-paticence the competition?

LadyStanley is offline   Reply With Quote