HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Notices

UFA frenzy 2012 Part 2: now with 46% less frenzy than the leading brand.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:25 PM
Mafoofoo
:facepalm:

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Highly disagree. if it wasnt for Thornton, Marleau wouldnt have gotten jack **** that series. just like if it wasn't for Thornton, Marleau wouldnt even come close to scoring 80 points during a regular season. Without Thornton, Marleau is a 50 point player at best, and thats IF, not when, he decides to show up.
I'm not the biggest Marleau fan but that statement cannot be more wrong.

Mafoofoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:29 PM
Pinkfloyd

vCash: 2283
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bizz06 View Post
Highly disagree. if it wasnt for Thornton, Marleau wouldnt have gotten jack **** that series. just like if it wasn't for Thornton, Marleau wouldnt even come close to scoring 80 points during a regular season. Without Thornton, Marleau is a 50 point player at best, and thats IF, not when, he decides to show up.
That's cool, Bizz. You think what you want. lol

Pinkfloyd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:31 PM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

vCash: 50
no problem , I'm always here just in case someone tries to overrate mediocre players.

Bizz06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:35 PM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

The Sharks were a basement team the year Thornton got here. With him they weren't. And some good players left the team in that trade. Marleau never did or could do that for the Sharks. He's is always so overrated by some that's it's not even worth arguing about anymore.

EDIT: Oh, and Nash is a goal Vampire!

"This is not a nick or a scratch, this is an open wound" - Doug Wilson.
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:39 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Led Zappa View Post
The Sharks were a basement team the year Thornton got here. With him they weren't. And some good players left the team in that trade. Marleau never did or could do that for the Sharks. He's is always so overrated by some that's it's not even worth arguing about anymore.

And they were a conference finalist the season prior without him. Maybe it had more to do with the team in general. Boston, even with Thornton, was a basement team.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:47 PM
AnderFunk

Quote:

Marleau led his team to within 2 games of a Stanley Cup final. That is something Thornton has never done.

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:51 PM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nighthock View Post
Dude that is awesome!!

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:00 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
And they were a conference finalist the season prior without him. Maybe it had more to do with the team in general. Boston, even with Thornton, was a basement team.
The "season". Nice wording there. That was between the lockout, which is big enough on it's own, but lets look at some of the players that were not playing the next "season" for the Sharks.

Vincent Damphousse, Alexander Korolyuk, Mike Ricci, Mike Rathje, Todd Harvey, Curtis Brown, Miroslav Zalesak.

To compare those teams is ridiculous.

We also lost Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart in the trade.

So, we lost all those players, sucked, then Thornton saved the season.

But, like I said: Not worth arguing about

Old
07-07-2012, 12:02 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnderFunk View Post
Marleau led his team to within 2 games of a Stanley Cup final. That is something Thornton has never done.
Marleau has led this team no-where. It's in your imagination. He was a good sometimes great player who was on the team and that is all.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:06 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
The "season". Nice wording there. That was between the lockout, which is big enough on it's own, but lets look at some of the players that were not playing the next "season" for the Sharks.

Vincent Damphousse, Alexander Korolyuk, Mike Ricci, Mike Rathje, Todd Harvey, Curtis Brown, Miroslav Zalesak.

To compare those teams is ridiculous.

We also lost Marco Sturm, Wayne Primeau and Brad Stuart in the trade.

So, we lost all those players, sucked, then Thornton saved the season.

But, like I said: Not worth arguing about
Nice selective reasoning there. It's the team when we do well led by Marleau. It's Thornton when the team does well led by Thornton even though Thornton has had just as competitive teams, if not moreso, and failed also.

When you say 'to compare these teams' proves my point. Look at the team coming out of the lockout and keep pinning it on Marleau like you did even though he was a point per game anyway.

Quote:
Marleau has led this team no-where. It's in your imagination. He was on the team and that is all.
The same can be argued for Thornton.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:08 AM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Marleau has led this team no-where. It's in your imagination. He was a good sometimes great player who was on the team and that is all.
He led the team farther than Thornton has

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Nice selective reasoning there. It's the team when we do well led by Marleau. It's Thornton when the team does well led by Thornton even though Thornton has had just as competitive teams, if not moreso, and failed also.

When you say 'to compare these teams' proves my point. Look at the team coming out of the lockout and keep pinning it on Marleau like you did even though he was a point per game anyway.
I'm not pinning it on Marleau. I'm simply pointing out that he couldn't carry the team.

Quote:
The same can be argued for Thornton.
No it can't. Just because we haven't won the cup does not mean Thornton hasn't had a much greater impact on this team than Marleau. That would be selective reasoning.

The vote has been takin' a few times on this board and virtually no one would argue who should be kept if one had to go. It's obvious to all but a few.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:09 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

Quote:
almost winning is not the same as winning.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
No. He was on a team that got "slightly" closer to the cup.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:14 AM
Bizz06
Registered Goon

and besides, in 2004 Marleau was a much better and more dominant player than he is now. In 2004 you never heard about him taking multiple shifts or even entire games off in the playoffs like he has in the last 4 years.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:15 AM
MadmanSJ
Know Your Onion!

Don't quote me on this, buuuuuuuut....

I'm fairly certain Thornton's dad could kick Marleau's dad's butt in a fight. He's a big dude.

MadmanSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:18 AM
dumpnchase

Quote:
Marleau has never led the Sharks to anything.

The Sharks Pre-Thornton were led by Damphousse. This team was Damphousse's team, Nolan might have had a C on his chest but we weren't doing much until Damphousse came.

This is Thornton's team.

dumpnchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:20 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
I'm not pinning it on Marleau. I'm simply pointing out that he couldn't carry the team.

No it can't. Just because we haven't won the cup does not mean Thornton hasn't had a much greater impact on this team than Marleau. That would be selective reasoning.

The vote has been takin' a few times on this board and virtually no one would argue who should be kept if one had to go. It's obvious to all but a few.
And where has Thornton carried this team? The only measure that matters is that it hasn't been any further than Marleau.

The thought that Marleau hasn't had a great impact on many different playoff runs is absolutely ridiculous. Marleau was routinely the best or second best goal scorer in the playoffs for this team. That's having a great impact.

As for that vote...that's fine. The majority of people have made critical mistakes before in history. My reasoning for keeping Marleau over Thornton has nothing to do with who is better. Thornton is better right now. It has everything to do with how players like Thornton do in different systems and how they can't rebuild with Thornton on the team plus they would get significantly more value from him than they would with Marleau.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:21 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumpnchase View Post
Marleau has never led the Sharks to anything.

The Sharks Pre-Thornton were led by Damphousse. This team was Damphousse's team, Nolan might have had a C on his chest but we weren't doing much until Damphousse came.

This is Thornton's team.
Just because someone is the top playmaker on the team doesn't mean it's 'their team'. That is such a huge misconception. That was not Damphousse's team otherwise they would've given him the C when it was floating around.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:29 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
Just because someone is the top playmaker on the team doesn't mean it's 'their team'. That is such a huge misconception. That was not Damphousse's team otherwise they would've given him the C when it was floating around.
Giving Marleau the C was nothing more than trying to break him out of his shell and make him the player the Sharks "wanted" him to be, which he never became, hence why he was stripped and Thornton was crowned.

Damphousse was gone the next season. It would have been silly to give it to him for the rest of the season. Doesn't mean he wasn't the true leader of the team that year.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Giving Marleau the C was nothing more than trying to break him out of his shell and make him the player the Sharks "wanted" him to be, which he never became, hence why he was stripped and Thornton was crowned.

Damphousse was gone the next season. It would have been silly to give it to him for the rest of the season. Doesn't mean he wasn't the true leader of the team that year.
That is some reasoning you simply cannot prove at all. lol If you're going to outright lie about it, you should try to at least make it believable.

Old
07-07-2012, 12:35 AM
Gene Parmesan
Ball-So-Hard-U

Another Marleau vs. Thornton debate. Awesome.

Gene Parmesan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:41 AM
Franchise13

Has any other team in the NHL had a fanbase with a more polarizing split between two star players than those two?

Franchise13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:42 AM
Led Zappa
Oy vey...

Quote:
That is some reasoning you simply cannot prove at all. lol If you're going to outright lie about it, you should try to at least make it believable.
Call me a liar and fail to respond to the post. Outstanding!

Let me guess. It's so wrong it didn't deserve a response. Booya!

Who else were they going to make captain at that time for the long term. Any suggestions?

Old
07-07-2012, 12:42 AM
TheJuxtaposer
#Shorks

vCash: 567
Geez, I'm utterly shocked to see the same people hating on and defending Marleau as usual. Make a ******* thread about it and keep it there.

Marleau is a ****ing great player. Joe Thornton is a better player. Marleau has outplayed Thornton at times. Neither is a great leader. I love Joe and I'm happy he's our captain but he's done jack-**** as far as winning a Cup, so using the lack of a Cup against Marleau and then not using the lack of a Cup against Thornton is stupid.

I hate when you all argue about Marleau. I'm not gonna pretend he's not my favorite player, but the guy can't win here. He fights Bieksa and he's called stupid and impulsive and a poor fighter. He doesn't fight Bieksa and he's called gutless and a bad leader. Pick a side and don't try and change the facts that contradict it.

Some of you don't like Patty. That's okay, you're allowed to do that. What I'm sick and tired of is the same people coming out of the woodwork only to bash Marleau, and then sink back in. The same people turning every Sharks conversation into why the team would be better off without Marleau. We get it, you hate him. Is it at all helpful to keep repeating it?

TheJuxtaposer is offline   Reply With Quote