HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > San Jose Sharks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

UFA frenzy 2012 Part 2: now with 46% less frenzy than the leading brand.

Old
07-07-2012, 04:25 PM
WantonAbandon

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by magic school bus View Post
Nabby is styled a lot like Brodeur, right? He's still doing fine at 40.
He shouldn't be starting

WantonAbandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:26 PM
Arrch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomout View Post
If you're a RFA then your team has the opportunity to match any offer sheet that you sign. To be a UFA you have to be over 27 or played in the league for 7 years.
You can also become a UFA by not receiving a qualifying offer from the team when you're an RFA (Ferriero), or the team declining the award after player elected arbitration (Campoli, Niemi). I'm sure there are other ways, too.

Arrch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:54 PM
The Nemesis
Global Moderator
Semper Tyrannus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrch View Post
You can also become a UFA by not receiving a qualifying offer from the team when you're an RFA (Ferriero), or the team declining the award after player elected arbitration (Campoli, Niemi). I'm sure there are other ways, too.
there's also Group VI UFAs, which are guys who have been pros on NHL contracts for a certain # of years without playing a minimum # of games at the NHL level (in other words, guys under contract who have been buried in the minors for too long without a crack at the big leagues). John McCarthy was one this year before the Sharks re-signed him, and Thomas Greiss was one recently too.

"Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent."
'14-15 Sharks CI Tracker: 45 GP, 17-21-7 (home-away-Nat'l/In-Region)
Sorry, I am not taking signature requests at this time.
The Nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:56 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by TealManV View Post
I really hope that no one trades for Roberto. The Canucks don't deserve such a favor. They should have to sit and rot with that ridiculous contract they gave him. They don't deserve to have that cap space freed up while receiving a player or pick that could help them.

The Panthers will be fine without taking that contract on, Theo and Scott did well for them last season and Markstrom should be ready soon.

Burkie shouldn't take on that albatross of a contract for a 33 year old that can't even keep a starting job.

I don't mean to vent but I'm tired of reading/hearing all the speculation around this mediocre goalie who has a contract through 2022! If the Leafs, Hawks or Panthers need an upgrade in the net they should talk to DW about Nemo. He's only 28 and signed at a $3.8 million cap hit for 3 more seasons.
I want US to trade for Bobby Luo. He's still a great goalie, and has a few more seasons of #1 in him.

Many state the contract as being a turn off, but dont. He's been on record saying that he doesnt want to play when he's not the best. So once his play declines, he's retiring. He wont be like Broduer and play in his 40s. he's likely done at 35.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 04:57 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
I want US to trade for Bobby Luo. He's still a great goalie, and has a few more seasons of #1 in him.

Many state the contract as being a turn off, but dont. He's been on record saying that he doesnt want to play when he's not the best. So once his play declines, he's retiring. He wont be like Broduer and play in his 40s. he's likely done at 35.
http://nooooooooooooooo.com/

Old
07-07-2012, 05:23 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

I don't even want to see what Wilson would give Gillis for lou. Don't you remember the Error trade?

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:29 PM
CommanderShepard15
Eberle=Clutch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Macklin View Post
I don't even want to see what Wilson would give Gillis for lou. Don't you remember the Error trade?
Murray and a 3rd would probably get Luongo. Murray is a "top 4" dman, and he's sweedish, which vancouver loves. Good protection for the Sedins in case someone pulls another Duncan Keith.

Flip Niemi for the 3rd liner + pick back and it works well.

CommanderShepard15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Graveland
HONE YOUR CRAFT

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloweForbidzYou View Post
Murray and a 3rd would probably get Luongo. Murray is a "top 4" dman, and he's sweedish, which vancouver loves. Good protection for the Sedins in case someone pulls another Duncan Keith.

Flip Niemi for the 3rd liner + pick back and it works well.
Eh I'm fine with Niemi, I'd rather ship Murray out of the west and only for a 2/3rd line Tweener.

Graveland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 05:54 PM
Thepainter

Looks like Galliardi has resigned for 1 year

Thepainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:11 PM
Pinkfloyd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepainter View Post
Looks like Galliardi has resigned for 1 year
That could just be him acknowledging the arbitration which guarantees him a contract, not that he's actually signed a deal.

Pinkfloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:12 PM
Rickety Cricket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
That could just be him acknowledging the arbitration which guarantees him a contract, not that he's actually signed a deal.
Does it? I thought the Sharks could walk away.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:13 PM
WantonAbandon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickety Cricket View Post
Does it? I thought the Sharks could walk away.
I have heard that if the award per arbitration is low enough the Sharks couldn't walk away.

Old
07-07-2012, 07:14 PM
AnderFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinkfloyd View Post
Arbitration doesn't guarentee him a contract if the Sharks reject the ruling

AnderFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 07:15 PM
WantonAbandon

But TJ would seem like a bit of a dbag if he was bragging about being excited about being a shark next season while still going through the arbitration process.

I think he signed plus

Scott Reiss ‏@ScottReissCSN

#sjsharks confirm TJ Galiardi signing

Old
07-07-2012, 07:30 PM
Led Zappa
Tomorrow Today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
But TJ would seem like a bit of a dbag if he was bragging about being excited about being a shark next season while still going through the arbitration process.

I think he signed plus

Scott Reiss ‏@ScottReissCSN

#sjsharks confirm TJ Galiardi signing
Yeah, that would be the height of da baggery.

Plus

TJ Galiardi ‏@TJGaliardi @brodiebrazilCSN can't wait to be roomies on the road (I put that in my contract)

Youth Movement! Tally Ho...
Led Zappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 08:11 PM
Rickety Cricket

His website on his Twitter page doesn't work.

Rickety Cricket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:15 PM
JS19
Four Kicks

I still wonder why Winnik hasn't been snatched up yet, thought he'd be a decent depth pick-up for a contender...or I'm slow on news.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:18 PM
JayP812
The Team of Tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS19 View Post
I still wonder why Winnik hasn't been snatched up yet, thought he'd be a decent depth pick-up for a contender...or I'm slow on news.
I've heard rumors about Toronto and Columbus being interested, maybe no one wants to give him the money he wants.

JayP812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 11:27 PM
Fistfullofbeer
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I am thinking his demands must be pretty unreasonable. He is good at the PK but his career high in points is 26. He is a 3rd line player but might want money in the 3-3.5M range maybe? Or maybe a lot of years? Who knows.

07-07-2012, 11:53 PM
dwood16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fistfullofbeer View Post
I am thinking his demands must be pretty unreasonable. He is good at the PK but his career high in points is 26. He is a 3rd line player but might want money in the 3-3.5M range maybe? Or maybe a lot of years? Who knows.
Perhaps he's a real a-hole and nobody wants to put up with him.

dwood16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:20 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Quote:
For players like him - 3rd/4th liners/tweeners - the GMs wait till closer to camp as the price goes way down due to the fact that their are many players like this available. Basically they wait and buy low - basic economics.

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:25 AM
JS19
Four Kicks

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP and GM View Post
For players like him - 3rd/4th liners/tweeners - the GMs wait till closer to camp as the price goes way down due to the fact that their are many players like this available. Basically they wait and buy low - basic economics.
Ah makes sense, I actually want him to return until DW said lolnointerest. STill looking for the elusive third-line depth scorer that can be a top-6 tweener.

JS19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 12:49 AM
VP and GM
Ack! Thbbft!

Quote:
Ah makes sense, I actually want him to return until DW said lolnointerest. STill looking for the elusive third-line depth scorer that can be a top-6 tweener.
I'm still looking for the same. With the signing of Burnish and others the 4th line is done - need a better player than Winnik to fill that viod. With Burnish signed DW knows what cap space he has to work with. I think DW will make his move(s) in the next couple of weeks *or* just before t. camp..

VP and GM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:37 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheJuxtaposer View Post
Nah, I don't recall more than one or two of Marleau's goals being assisted by Jumbo. You can't claim that the Sharks would have gotten to where they did without those nine goals. He was easily our Conn Smythe that season. But yeah, he does usually go nuts in one round and then disappear for the next...

Thorton had 3 assists on Marleaus 7 goals in the first round, 5 games. Cheecho set him up for quite a few too. From that point on Marleau had 2 goals. The sharks dominated the Preds that year and to be honest for my money Michalek was the most dominant player on that line when you watched the game play. He was the catalyst. Marleau played great and finished well but Michalek and Bernier were great linemates for that one playoff until Michalek got blindsided and knocked out of the playoffs. Losing him ended what I thought was one of their better chances to win it all.

As is his MO.. Marleau was outstanding for a single round.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 04:41 AM
NWShark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantonAbandon View Post
His comparable would come with that price tag. Best comparable to Marleau I can think of is Hossa. Hossa is set to make just under 8 million till 2015. That contract was signed in 2009.
I agree with this. On the open market as a UFA marleau would have gotten 8 mil a year, maybe more. Marleau is more valuable than hossa because he's a center. Thorton would have gotten 8.5 or 9 mil at his last contract.

NWShark* is offline   Reply With Quote