HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2012 Part #2

Closed Thread

Old
07-11-2012, 10:23 PM
KingsFan7824

vCash: 500
I'd take Doan on the Kings, but at the same time I sort of hope he stays in Phoenix. That means the Coyotes will be there, and the Kings have a little something going with the Coyotes now. Not just because of meeting in the conference final, but even the regular season games had a little bite to them. It's fun.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:38 PM
johnjm22

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingsFan7824 View Post
I'd take Doan on the Kings, but at the same time I sort of hope he stays in Phoenix. That means the Coyotes will be there, and the Kings have a little something going with the Coyotes now. Not just because of meeting in the conference final, but even the regular season games had a little bite to them. It's fun.
The embolden is how I feel also. I want the Coyotes to succeed in Phoenix. It would be nice to see them disprove all the naysayers in the arrogant Canadian media.

Old
07-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydor25 View Post
Peter Mueller signs for 1 year in Florida. $1.725.
Dale Tallon is going to win a cup with that roster being known for dumpster diving.

Fleischmenn, Versteeg, Skille, Sturm, Goc, Kopecky, Samuelsson, Wolski, Campbell...now Mueller...

I think the only guy that has been there for more than 5 years is Weiss. Hell, maybe even 3 years.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:30 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Utah View Post
HansH thanks for the clarrification.

Jeremy Roenick lives in Phoenix and said awhile back the problem is the location of the building. Everyone who lives in Arizona, lives in Scottsdale...that is where ASU is and any celebrities or athletes live...that is the best place for it.
I have been out there a couple of times, and what Roenick says is 100% true. There is a hotel and small mall right near the arena, but nothing else. All the big cities are at least 30 minutes away, usually closer to an hour.

If they stayed in American West they would draw alot more. Right in the middle of everything, and they drew well there.

Old
07-12-2012, 12:36 AM
KingLB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Dale Tallon is going to win a cup with that roster being known for dumpster diving.

Fleischmenn, Versteeg, Skille, Sturm, Goc, Kopecky, Samuelsson, Wolski, Campbell...now Mueller...

I think the only guy that has been there for more than 5 years is Weiss. Hell, maybe even 3 years.
I don't even know if they make the playoffs next year....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
I have been out there a couple of times, and what Roenick says is 100% true. There is a hotel and small mall right near the arena, but nothing else. All the big cities are at least 30 minutes away, usually closer to an hour.

If they stayed in American West they would draw alot more. Right in the middle of everything, and they drew well there.
Economically, they are probably more viable out in Glendale. (as sad as that sounds)

Old
07-12-2012, 01:50 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
I don't even know if they make the playoffs next year....

In that division I think they almost certainly make the playoffs.

Washington hasn't improved much, neither has Winnipeg, Tampa or Carolina outside of getting Jordan Staal.

Florida hasn't added a whole lot, but they had a playoff caliber team last season, and they were pretty much an offseason throw together with little time to gel with each other. The young guys like Gudbranson are a year more experienced, and there is talk that Bjugstad and Howden have real good shots at the lineup this year. Not to mention Markstrom will be healthy.

Old
07-12-2012, 02:31 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:

Washington hasn't improved much, neither has Winnipeg, Tampa or Carolina outside of getting Jordan Staal.

Florida hasn't added a whole lot, but they had a playoff caliber team last season, and they were pretty much an offseason throw together with little time to gel with each other. The young guys like Gudbranson are a year more experienced, and there is talk that Bjugstad and Howden have real good shots at the lineup this year. Not to mention Markstrom will be healthy.
I believe Markstrom will be in the AHL. Theodore and Clemmensen are back again, but agree I can see them making the playoffs again, though it will be tough.

Also getting Ribero was big for Washington, finally have a 2nd line center behind Backstrom and Staal is a great addition to Carolina

Old
07-12-2012, 02:43 AM
I Am Ziggy Palffy

Quote:
Also means less travel for Kings. ANA, PHX and SJ evens out the travel a bit

Old
07-12-2012, 03:30 AM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
I believe Markstrom will be in the AHL. Theodore and Clemmensen are back again, but agree I can see them making the playoffs again, though it will be tough.

Also getting Ribero was big for Washington, finally have a 2nd line center behind Backstrom and Staal is a great addition to Carolina
Ribiero will be great for Washington. I just fear that losing Semin is going to leave a much bigger hole in their offensive production then they think.

Also, I think Markstrom makes the jump this year if he can stay healthy.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:55 AM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
Economically, they are probably more viable out in Glendale. (as sad as that sounds)
I have a hard time believing that would be true. I have no evidence to support that but they definitely were better set up in downtown to get the fans there.

Old
07-12-2012, 05:08 AM
SCARFACE909

Quote:
Ribiero will be great for Washington. I just fear that losing Semin is going to leave a much bigger hole in their offensive production then they think.

Also, I think Markstrom makes the jump this year if he can stay healthy.
I believe Florida was unhappy with Markstrom's attitude right now, though that could have changed but I remember reading that, but things could change in training camp.

Old
07-12-2012, 07:38 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:

The thing with those misfit/castoff type teams is that they can work for maybe a year, but it hardly ever lasts. Phoenix has done it the last few years though, so I'm not saying it can't work in Florida.

That SE division is usually a toss up after Washington lately. All the credit to Florida for taking advantage of the situation, but Backstrom missed half the season for the Caps last year, and they still finished only 2 points behind the Panthers. Tampa Bay and Carolina have made the playoffs in 1 of the last 5, and 1 of the last 6 years respectively, but they both went to the conference final when they did make it. The Jets are still pretty much the Thrashers, just in a Canadian city.

I'd say Washington gets back on track, and then who knows what happens for 2nd place in that division.

Old
07-12-2012, 10:10 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses Doughty View Post
I have a hard time believing that would be true. I have no evidence to support that but they definitely were better set up in downtown to get the fans there.
Except for the fact that because of the location of the rink compared to the seats, a whole balcony in the end zone had no view whatsoever of the near net -- making those seats effectively worthless. Even if there had been a demand for tickets bursting at the seams, the effective lowered capacity of AWA, in addition to being a tenant of the Suns instead of controlling bookings at the facility themselves, made the revenue stream unworkable in the long term. The Coyotes were never going to make it staying in that facility -- they were eventually going to have to move again, whether to the 'burbs or out of market. Had the east-side arena proposals come to fruition, it likely would have been a better situation -- that and not getting an owner who started as a real-estate partner and accidentally ended up owning the NHL team as well (effectively).

Old
07-12-2012, 03:05 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCARFACE909 View Post
I believe Florida was unhappy with Markstrom's attitude right now, though that could have changed but I remember reading that, but things could change in training camp.
Yea I had heard something similar. I think he was unhappy that he hadn't got a shot at the NHL yet. They pulled him up in about I think November or so and sent him back down. Obviously he was frustrated he didn't get more starts.

I think his attitude got better because he went back down to the AHL and played well but unfortunately got hurt.

I think that's when prospects either make or break it. That first call up/send down. You either get your confidence shot and become a good minor league player and a bad nhl player. Or you go back down, work on stuff, and fight your way back at it.

Quote:
The thing with those misfit/castoff type teams is that they can work for maybe a year, but it hardly ever lasts. Phoenix has done it the last few years though, so I'm not saying it can't work in Florida.

That SE division is usually a toss up after Washington lately. All the credit to Florida for taking advantage of the situation, but Backstrom missed half the season for the Caps last year, and they still finished only 2 points behind the Panthers. Tampa Bay and Carolina have made the playoffs in 1 of the last 5, and 1 of the last 6 years respectively, but they both went to the conference final when they did make it. The Jets are still pretty much the Thrashers, just in a Canadian city.

I'd say Washington gets back on track, and then who knows what happens for 2nd place in that division.
Seriously the most volatile division in hockey. Everyone is mediocre. Even Washington. I'm still not convinced that McPhee even knows what defense or goaltending development is.

It makes for a good mix of division winners year to year, and some fun division races, but it also makes for a lot of first round seeded upsets, and one team division representation.

Old
07-12-2012, 03:46 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
Except for the fact that because of the location of the rink compared to the seats, a whole balcony in the end zone had no view whatsoever of the near net -- making those seats effectively worthless. Even if there had been a demand for tickets bursting at the seams, the effective lowered capacity of AWA, in addition to being a tenant of the Suns instead of controlling bookings at the facility themselves, made the revenue stream unworkable in the long term. The Coyotes were never going to make it staying in that facility -- they were eventually going to have to move again, whether to the 'burbs or out of market. Had the east-side arena proposals come to fruition, it likely would have been a better situation -- that and not getting an owner who started as a real-estate partner and accidentally ended up owning the NHL team as well (effectively).
Weird thing is when I was there they would be filled up, so I didn't think it was a major issue. And yeah, they did have alot of other issues sadly driving them to Glendale.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:03 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

for those of you who think Doan is 35+, so we should only offer him a $3-4 mil / 1 year take-it-or-leave-it deal, an eastern conference team just offered a $30+ mil for 4 years. proof that the armchair GMs on this board have a real ear to the ground on market value...

https://twitter.com/Gambo620/status/223841139659259905

Old
07-13-2012, 03:23 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingPurpleDinosaur View Post
for those of you who think Doan is 35+, so we should only offer him a $3-4 mil / 1 year take-it-or-leave-it deal, an eastern conference team just offered a $30+ mil for 4 years. proof that the armchair GMs on this board have a real ear to the ground on market value...

I don't buy it, but if it happens to be true, I would think it is a bottom seed team with cap space (i.e. Islanders) making the ludicrous offer. A 35+ contract at $7.5M at 4 years would be a big mistake. Look at the Flyers now being stuck with Pronger's terrible contract.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:25 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:

So because some idiot GM is going to overpay for Doan that makes the armchair GMs around here dumb? I don't get what your point is.

30+ mil and 4 years for Doan is obscene. You're talking a possible 7+ mil cap hit per season? **** that. That kind of deal has Garth Snow all over it.

Old
07-13-2012, 03:52 PM
KingPurpleDinosaur
Bandwagon Kings Fan

Quote:
So because some idiot GM is going to overpay for Doan that makes the armchair GMs around here dumb? I don't get what your point is.

30+ mil and 4 years for Doan is obscene. You're talking a possible 7+ mil cap hit per season? **** that. That kind of deal has Garth Snow all over it.
it means that people here who expect to sign a player at 1/2th of what his market worth at 1/4th of the duration are not talking reasonably. (The "let's just re-sign Doughty to a 7 year $4 mil contract hometown discount") It means when armchair GMs unfairly criticize GMs for overpaying players, that may not be necessarily true if his market value is there. (This happens ALL the time with pretty much every signing)

Whether you like it or not, if someone offers Doan a ludicrous offer, it's what his market price is at. Even if he is 35+

Old
07-13-2012, 03:57 PM
The Tikkanen
Pest

Send a message via AIM to The Tikkanen
Aren't there still teams that need to get to the floor?

Old
07-13-2012, 04:01 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:

I'm open to Doan being overpaid by the kings, but 4 yrs for 30M+ is just ridiculous!

If I'm Doan, I'm more about the chance at the cup than I'm about $$.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
He's not going to sign that contract. He'd be homesick, and his family seems to be more important to him than anything else. No way he's going to put his family through that. I could see him waiting for Phoenix until just before training camp.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:07 PM
Johnny Utah

Eklund is saying an Eastern conf. team not named the Flyers offered Doan 4 years 30 mil as well.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:14 PM
xavi4life
Mr. Irreverent

Quote:

Getting rid of Bodreau was IMO.

Old
07-13-2012, 04:21 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:

Then they can have Doan. Two years and $10M is plenty for the Kings to spend. Does Doan want to win, or not?

Quote:
it means that people here who expect to sign a player at 1/2th of what his market worth at 1/4th of the duration are not talking reasonably. (The "let's just re-sign Doughty to a 7 year $4 mil contract hometown discount") It means when armchair GMs unfairly criticize GMs for overpaying players, that may not be necessarily true if his market value is there. (This happens ALL the time with pretty much every signing)

Whether you like it or not, if someone offers Doan a ludicrous offer, it's what his market price is at. Even if he is 35+
Anyone remember this?

Closed Thread