HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2012 Part #2

Closed Thread

Old
07-16-2012, 05:55 PM
yankeeking

vCash: 500
Why did the nordiques move if that is such a good hockey city? and why don't they send the ducks there, if they get out slow next year the building will be half empty, their bandwaggoners riding high with us, lol

Old
07-16-2012, 06:09 PM
yankeeking

the city of glendale rejected the petitions to delay the deal, looks like nothing in the way to selling to jamison now, and then doan resigning

Old
07-16-2012, 06:23 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeeking View Post
the city of glendale rejected the petitions to delay the deal, looks like nothing in the way to selling to jamison now, and then doan resigning
There will still be legal challenges to them but being election stuff those will move very quickly. And I don't think they will be successful. But then once the deal is signed then the real potential problem will arise and that is Goldwater challenging it under the gift clause. I have no real idea of where that will fall and the fact that it is not tied to an election it will have to just work its way through the courts. And I am sure they want to wait until the first two have been challenged and the lawyers they have will be advising on what the chances are that it could be beat under the gift clause.

I typed all that to say it really is a long way from being over.

Old
07-16-2012, 07:18 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Why did the nordiques move if that is such a good hockey city? and why don't they send the ducks there, if they get out slow next year the building will be half empty, their bandwaggoners riding high with us, lol
At the time the Canadian dollar was worth considerably less than the U.S. dollar and its value was continuing to decrease. Since all contracts are paid in U.S. dollars it put a significant strain on the Canadian teams as all of their revenue was collected in Canandian dollars. Basically player salaries were going up at all times for all the Canadian teams due to the exchange rate.

Then there was the other issue the owner of the Nordiques wanted a new building with luxury boxes, etc. All at the expense of the taxpayers of course. When the Quebec government said no, he sold the team.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:51 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsanuri View Post
And maybe you don't remember the mid 80s when we were only getting 12-13k a game. And tickets were almost being given away to fill those seats. How would you have felt if the team up and moved due to lack of support? And look at where we are now.
I do remember, and I also remember the threat of the Kings being moved to Denver.

It's also a different hockey world. The Kings were still viable and you just don't pick up and move from Los Angeles without thinking about it at least overnight (unless you are the ***** owner of the Rams and just wanted to **** the city over after drowning your husband, but that's another story altogether).

According to numerous reports, the Coyotes have lost money every year of their existence, which makes 15 now. That is hard to overcome with such low attendance numbers. Ownership of a hockey team has to be a viable economic enterprise, unless you are a multi-billionaire and can absorb such losses. This Jamison character is not, and he has not disclosed his investors' names and entities, which is troublesome to say the least.

As for giving a major sports franchise to a dubious owner without complete confidence in one's assets, one only has to look across the freeway to Dodger Stadium to see the kind of nightmare that can occur, as did during the time McCourt owned the team.

Old
07-17-2012, 12:53 AM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Except timing and the threat of a lawsuit by the jilted parties, as well as the threat of another lawsuit by some fly-by-night conservative tax group known as the Goldwater Institute. Doan may not want to wait until all the legal bull **** resolves itself.

Old
07-17-2012, 01:53 PM
SLang

As much as I liked the July 1st Doan, I'm not so sure I like the July 17th Doan as much.

Do we really want a guy who so doesn't want to be in any other locker room but Phoenix's next year?

The longer it drags, the less I want him here.

Old
07-17-2012, 02:43 PM
Ron
Bandwagon Since 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post
As much as I liked the July 1st Doan, I'm not so sure I like the July 17th Doan as much.

Do we really want a guy who so doesn't want to be in any other locker room but Phoenix's next year?

I agree, time to move and go with the roster that we went with last season. That team performed adequately.

I know there is some discussion here about Semin, but I have heard absolutely zilch about any Kings' interest anywhere...which means to me there isn't any.

Personally, the things I have heard about this guy aren't very appealing (locker room problems, lazy on the ice wasting his talent, etc.), but I am intrigued at the idea of Sutter getting a hold of him and straightening him out...the entertainment value of that alone would be the price of admission.

What do you think of Semin on the Kings?

Old
07-17-2012, 03:04 PM
The Black1963
Grit & Character

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLang View Post

You're taking it too personally imo.

There's nothing wrong with loyalty.

Old
07-17-2012, 03:41 PM
markisonfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron View Post
I agree, time to move and go with the roster that we went with last season. That team performed adequately.

I know there is some discussion here about Semin, but I have heard absolutely zilch about any Kings' interest anywhere...which means to me there isn't any.

Personally, the things I have heard about this guy aren't very appealing (locker room problems, lazy on the ice wasting his talent, etc.), but I am intrigued at the idea of Sutter getting a hold of him and straightening him out...the entertainment value of that alone would be the price of admission.

What do you think of Semin on the Kings?
Where does he fit?

Brown - Kopitar - Semin
Penner - Richards - Carter
Gagne - Stoll - Williams
King - Fraser - Lewis
(Clifford - Richardson - Nolan)

Is that even fair? Depending on term and amount, I wouldn't mind Semin. The dude can put the puck in the net. Carter and Semin sniping for the Kings would be crazy. If anyone can straighten out Semin, it is Sutter.

Old
07-17-2012, 05:26 PM
tsanuri

Quote:
I do remember, and I also remember the threat of the Kings being moved to Denver.

It's also a different hockey world. The Kings were still viable and you just don't pick up and move from Los Angeles without thinking about it at least overnight (unless you are the ***** owner of the Rams and just wanted to **** the city over after drowning your husband, but that's another story altogether).

According to numerous reports, the Coyotes have lost money every year of their existence, which makes 15 now. That is hard to overcome with such low attendance numbers. Ownership of a hockey team has to be a viable economic enterprise, unless you are a multi-billionaire and can absorb such losses. This Jamison character is not, and he has not disclosed his investors' names and entities, which is troublesome to say the least.

As for giving a major sports franchise to a dubious owner without complete confidence in one's assets, one only has to look across the freeway to Dodger Stadium to see the kind of nightmare that can occur, as did during the time McCourt owned the team.

I know as of the time of the bankruptcy it was reported they had lost 200 mil since 2001. That would put losses at 28 mil a year average. But the real question is was that due to the sport failing or failed mgmt? And since they had grown to around 15K fans a game until 2009-10 when the threat of moving really came into play. I have a tendency to say it was a mgmt failure not that the sport or the people not willing to support the team.

I understand some markets won't support teams but moving a team needs to be the last option. It is the worst thing for the game especially in non traditional markets.

And you think it is not a good idea he hasn't disclosed his investors that is just to the public. I am sure there is a full list with the NHL and they have been vetted. If not I share you concern. And I think until such time as the deal is final he it is really a move protecting them since there are threats of court cases still pending. Giving the names out might make them targets.

When you look at most of the owners they are all multi-millionaires or billionaires. And where owning a team might be seen as a status symbol they didn't make their money by keeping bad investments. I think many of the papers we ever see or hear about in the public eye are not the whole story. These type of people don't stand for losing money and I do think they are partly cooking the books that get seen. They are privately held and therefore not open subject to full disclosure like a publicly held company. And if there were not profits or some other financial gain from owning a team I don't think we would see them lining up to buy teams. When there is not litigation involved most teams seem to sell fairly quickly when you consider the selling prices.

Old
07-17-2012, 06:44 PM
etherialone
dialed in your mom

I can tell you that there is a ton of excitement for the coming Nordique in Quebec.

Even if it is the dirtdogs it will be a great day for hockey.

Old
07-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonellisghost View Post
I can tell you that there is a ton of excitement for the coming Nordique in Quebec.

Even if it is the dirtdogs it will be a great day for hockey.
If the Coyotes stay in Phoenix, then Quebec has to wait until the NHL decides to expand to 32 teams because it doesn't appear that there are plans for any other clubs looking to relocate.

Old
07-17-2012, 07:53 PM
RonSwanson*
Gadfly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy Stardust View Post
If the Coyotes stay in Phoenix, then Quebec has to wait until the NHL decides to expand to 32 teams because it doesn't appear that there are plans for any other clubs looking to relocate.

Old
07-17-2012, 09:53 PM
bobafettish*

does semin's agent not speak russian? why isn't this guy signed yet?

Old
07-17-2012, 10:04 PM
Ziggy Stardust
Master Debater

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobafettish View Post
does semin's agent not speak russian? why isn't this guy signed yet?
His agent is the same guy who represented Alexei Yashin. A true winner.

Old
07-17-2012, 10:55 PM
redcard

Quote:
Originally Posted by markisonfire View Post
Where does he fit?

Brown - Kopitar - Semin
Penner - Richards - Carter
Gagne - Stoll - Williams
King - Fraser - Lewis
(Clifford - Richardson - Nolan)

Is that even fair? Depending on term and amount, I wouldn't mind Semin. The dude can put the puck in the net. Carter and Semin sniping for the Kings would be crazy. If anyone can straighten out Semin, it is Sutter.
Looking at that line-up, I'd take a flyer on Semin as long as it was a moveable contract. There will be a lot more room on the roster once one or more of Gagne, Williams, or Carter inevitably get hurt. Even if Semin floats having him on a line with two hard working players like Kopitar and Brown wouldn't be too bad.

That is a ridiculous group of forwards.

Old
07-18-2012, 08:36 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
*cough*BruceMcNall*cough*

Old
07-18-2012, 08:37 AM
HansH
Unwelcome Spectre

Quote:
Why did the nordiques move if that is such a good hockey city?
The city/province was unwilling to build a new arena, IIRC, in addition to the earlier reasons given.

Old
07-18-2012, 05:30 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by HansH View Post
The city/province was unwilling to build a new arena, IIRC, in addition to the earlier reasons given.
Yup. They didn't want to plop down the cash for a new arena and got lured to Denver by the Pepsi Center.

Also, holy overpayment Batman..

http://www.nhl.com/ice/blogpost.htm?id=10634

3.7-3.8 mil for Kyle ****ing Quincey?

Old
07-18-2012, 05:32 PM
Moses Doughty
LA's offense offends

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post
Yup. They didn't want to plop down the cash for a new arena and got lured to Denver by the Pepsi Center.

Makes sense, they needed a defenseman. Had no better options at this point pretty much.

Old
07-18-2012, 06:09 PM
KINGS17
Smartest in the Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaygokings View Post

That's a shame.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:13 AM
Chazz Reinhold

No mention of Weber signing an offer sheet with the Flyers?

You guys are slacking tonight.

Old
07-19-2012, 01:18 AM
Shellz

Oh Flyers..

Old
07-19-2012, 01:23 AM
ScoreZeGoals
Back on Cloud 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz Reinhold View Post
No mention of Weber signing an offer sheet with the Flyers?

You guys are slacking tonight.
Should be easily matched even if they have to trade him in a year (because he wants out). Four first round picks in the 20's is much less then they could get for him with multiple bidders.

Closed Thread