HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Los Angeles Kings
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency 2012 Part #2

Closed Thread

Old
07-23-2012, 06:57 PM
redcard

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tikkanen View Post
With the first pick in the 2013 NHL draft the Columbus Blue Jackets select...
They'll have the 1st, the 30th, and maybe the 29th if the Rangers can make it to the cup.

Old
07-23-2012, 07:34 PM
riseandfall9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnshockey View Post
Wow. What a ****ing joke Howson is. That team is going to be ****ing BRUTAL next year. I feel so bad for JMFJ.
I feel for their fans. Who give a **** about Jack Johnson lol

Old
07-23-2012, 07:45 PM
Flour Child
Unleavened User

vCash: 383
I feel bad for CBJ fans. A crackhead could be a better GM than Howson

Old
07-23-2012, 08:02 PM
BehindEnemyLines
2012&2014 CHAMPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSlovenian View Post
LA Kings ‏@LAKings

RUMOR: Rick Nash traded to the @thenyrangers. Wants to watch #LAKings raise the Stanley Cup banner opening night.

hahaha thats awesome

Old
07-23-2012, 09:51 PM
johnjm22

FORWARDS
Umberger Brassard Atkinson
Dubinsky Johansen Foligno
Prospal Anisimov Dorsett
DMac Letestu Boll
Calvert
Gillies
Russell

DEFENSEMEN
Johnson Wiz
Tyutin Nikitin
Aucoin Murray
Erixon
Moore
Savard

GOALTENDERS
Bobrovsky
Mason

Those are the Blue Jackets projected lines right now...ouch. If we trade Bernier there, I wonder if his career will even survive.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:14 PM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
FORWARDS
Prospal Anisimov Dorsett
DMac Letestu Boll
Calvert
Gillies
Russell

Ouch. I don't think a single forward on that team would crack the top 7 or 8 on LA.

We should start a poll:

Penner/Gagne - Stoll - Lewis vs Umberger - Brass - Atkinson

Old
07-23-2012, 10:40 PM
Live in the Now
YNWA

Awards:
I'd rather have Umberger than any of the three Kings you mentioned. Their roster is bad though.

Old
07-23-2012, 10:44 PM
Fishhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjm22 View Post
FORWARDS
Prospal Anisimov Dorsett
DMac Letestu Boll
Calvert
Gillies
Russell

DEFENSEMEN
Johnson Wiz
Tyutin Nikitin
Aucoin Murray
Erixon
Moore
Savard

GOALTENDERS
Bobrovsky
Mason

Those are the Blue Jackets projected lines right now...ouch. If we trade Bernier there, I wonder if his career will even survive.
At least they have some offensive depth, it's not all that bad up front. I bet they would slaughter the 96-97 kings The defense isn't deep and will need to stay very healthy. Pretty sure Erixon will get some playing time, and I would be surprised if Moore wasn't a regular. He played great down the stretch

If you would have showed me this roster and compared it to the Phoenix roster of last year, I wouldn't think they were all that different in talent. Average/poor goalies, one good defenseman surrounded by mediocre ones, with a couple promising youngsters. Phoenix had a 39 year old Whitney, Doan, a journeyman in Vrbata, and scoring by committee. Columbus has an old Prospal, a journeyman in Umberger, and scoring by committee. I would have said Phoenix was slightly better, but not by much.

They may look like crap but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a much better season next year. Teams without all-stars tend to band together and work hard for each other. That team really bought in when Richards took over, IIRC they were nearly .500 with him as a coach, and that was for about half the season. I'm not saying they'll pull a Phoenix next season, but it's not nearly as dire as people are making it out to be.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:01 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

I actually really like that 2nd line of Duby - Johansen - Foligno

But the rest is one big bag of ouch.

Old
07-23-2012, 11:40 PM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Something to chew on...

If Doan doesn't sign in Phoenix amidst the cluster**** and Nashville doesn't match the Weber offer sheet...

Then that makes Nash, Doan, and Weber out of the Western Conference.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:13 AM
KopitarFAN
Reno Sucks!

Doan seems to only be seriously considering western conference teams. At least that was the report a week or two ago.

Old
07-24-2012, 12:38 AM
savemefromtears
Bravo Viva la France

Quote:
Originally Posted by KopitarFAN View Post
Doan seems to only be seriously considering western conference teams. At least that was the report a week or two ago.
I think that report was before he was in NY visiting the Rags and then the following day in Philly chatting it up with the Flyers...?

Old
07-24-2012, 01:38 AM
TruKingFan
Two-Time Cup Winner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishhead View Post
At least they have some offensive depth, it's not all that bad up front. I bet they would slaughter the 96-97 kings The defense isn't deep and will need to stay very healthy. Pretty sure Erixon will get some playing time, and I would be surprised if Moore wasn't a regular. He played great down the stretch

If you would have showed me this roster and compared it to the Phoenix roster of last year, I wouldn't think they were all that different in talent. Average/poor goalies, one good defenseman surrounded by mediocre ones, with a couple promising youngsters. Phoenix had a 39 year old Whitney, Doan, a journeyman in Vrbata, and scoring by committee. Columbus has an old Prospal, a journeyman in Umberger, and scoring by committee. I would have said Phoenix was slightly better, but not by much.

They may look like crap but I wouldn't be surprised if they have a much better season next year. Teams without all-stars tend to band together and work hard for each other. That team really bought in when Richards took over, IIRC they were nearly .500 with him as a coach, and that was for about half the season. I'm not saying they'll pull a Phoenix next season, but it's not nearly as dire as people are making it out to be.
That roster will not score 200 goals in a season while that defense will probably allow twice what they score. Book it.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:53 AM
Sybil227

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post
I think that report was before he was in NY visiting the Rags and then the following day in Philly chatting it up with the Flyers...?

Someone on the main board mentioned that. I replied with our Kovalchuk story.
He's not looking to sign with NY or Philly - he's just getting a free east coast vacation.

Old
07-24-2012, 08:45 AM
driller1
Dry Island Reject

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sybil227 View Post
Someone on the main board mentioned that. I replied with our Kovalchuk story.
He's not looking to sign with NY or Philly - he's just getting a free east coast vacation.
He's out there anyway for CBA talks. Might as well do something with your free time outside of negotiations.

Old
07-24-2012, 09:18 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by savemefromtears View Post

Makes you wonder what's going on with Phoenix if he hasn't re-signed with the Coyotes. It's been very quiet.

Old
07-24-2012, 01:41 PM
Ollie Weeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy The Elf View Post
Why is anyone feeling sorry for Dubinsky or the other players? Players like Justin Williams, Matt Greene and Jarrett Stoll did not sulk when they came to LA and they were catalysts in turning the ship around. He and Jack should look at Columbus as an opportunity to build something from the ground up. As long as their GM continues to build and make decent personnel changes, they'll have as good of a shot to win as anyone in a few years.

I personally think the Rangers are overrated as is and I think the playoffs exposed that last year. They got to the third round on a wing and prayer. Rick Nash and his $7.8m deal are going to have no excuses for not performing in NY and he will be under the microscope. He'd better be prepared to play.
I don't get it either. Its not like Columbus can get any worse, and while they havent got a game breaker anymore, Dubinsky and Anisimov aren't chopped liver. Both could hit 20 goals without a lot of trouble. And they got another first rounder

I don't know if this improves the Rangers by leaps and bounds, a lot of their ability seems to be measured in players being healthy and young players taking the next step. Both can be major pains in the ass. I'd hold out for a season and see what happens.

I won't lie, I'm rooting for the Jackets to turn the ship around. Its good for hockey and the franchise itself. Nevermind the Edmonton approach, just claw your way free of the pit with what you have.

Old
07-24-2012, 02:14 PM
Jason Lewis
Hockey's Future Staff

Yea, reading that Columbus wants to go for "scoring by committee."

well...I mean it's not a HORRIBLE start by any means...

Anisimov, who is still just 24, could be a 20-20 shut down center. Dubinsky, 26, is capable of 20-30, as is Foligno (24), and Umberger (30). Johansen (19) had a 30 point rookie season..

Prospal is good for 50. Brassard (24), if he can get his head straight is good for about 20-30 as well...Wiz (28), Nikitin (26), and JJ (25) know how to put up points.

All things considered..I think they might be a better team today then they were yesterday. Arguably deeper. Replacing a 30-40, 40-40 player in Nash with two 20-30 guys, a defensive prospect, and a 1st rounder.

The dust is settling and i'm starting to see that Columbus...I mean..they aren't going to win the Central, but they are a couple pieces away from really starting to carry some weight. Goaltending and defensive defenseman are still a need. As are some better bottom line forwards.

The NHL is won by depth now, not by star power. I think teams like us, Phoenix, Nashville, Detroit....they've proven you can win without star power.

I am starting to see a trend in West vs. East that reads a lot like that. You aren't seeing a lot of east coast teams pursue depth signings. They are going for big star knockout punches and leaving their teams crippled in depth.

I think San Jose and Vancouver are becoming the last west coast teams to really try and build around stars. Florida is building a west coast style team, and funny, their GM built that sort of winner with Chicago.

Last year Boston also had a similar style, less stars more depth. Teams like Philly and New York...they will go the way of their stars. It's too much riding on too few of shoulders. New Jersey saw that first hand in the finals when neither Kovalchuk or Parise could hit water if they were on a boat.

I think the initial knee jerk from everyone, and history makes this happen, is that, "Oh it was Howson and CBJ? They got screwed somehow." But that might not be entirely true in this deal. I mean imagine if Erixon pans out to be a decent player, they get a good first round pick with NYRs pick, and Anisimov and Dubinsky put up 20-30. Might not look so bad for one guy.

Last edited by Jason Lewis: 07-24-2012 at 02:45 PM.
Old
07-24-2012, 03:14 PM
Johnny Utah

Columbus has the resources (picks) and glut of D-man to make a trade for a proven forward.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:20 PM
johnjm22

Nashville Predators Match Offer Sheet To Captain Shea Weber

Old
07-24-2012, 03:20 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Told you Nashville would match. They had to. The Flyers shot themselves in the foot.

“This is for you Kings fans wherever you may be. All the frustration and disappointment of the past is gone. The 45 year drought is over. The Los Angeles Kings are indeed the Kings of the National Hockey League. They are the 2012 Stanley Cup Champions!” - Bob Miller
Old
07-24-2012, 03:21 PM
Shellz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Told you Nashville would match. They had to. The Flyers shot themselves in the foot.
It seemed like common sense that the Predators would match. Ahh, all those sad sad Flyer fans.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:23 PM
Johnny Utah

Good move. Dude is a stud. Tough to lose Suter, would have been the end of Nashville if they lost Weber.

They re-signed Gaustad, Kostisyn and Gill, so they are looking okay for next season.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:30 PM
Telos
In Dean We Trust

vCash: 424
Send a message via ICQ to Telos Send a message via AIM to Telos Send a message via MSN to Telos Send a message via Yahoo to Telos
Overall, they are paying Weber the same as they would have, the deal is just frontloaded drastically. In a year, if Weber still wants to leave, he will become the hottest commodity in the NHL and would be worth quite a fortune with 1/5-1/4 of his total cost paid off and signed for the rest of his career, in his prime. There was no way Nashville wasn't matching and the Flyers did them a huge favor, but screwed themselves over. Instead of trading for a rental Weber, at a rental price, and then re-signing him reasonably, they are going to have to outbid a majority of the league next year, and frankly wouldn't have the assets to pull it off.

Old
07-24-2012, 03:37 PM
jml87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telos View Post
Overall, they are paying Weber the same as they would have, the deal is just frontloaded drastically. In a year, if Weber still wants to leave, he will become the hottest commodity in the NHL and would be worth quite a fortune with 1/5-1/4 of his total cost paid off and signed for the rest of his career, in his prime. There was no way Nashville wasn't matching and the Flyers did them a huge favor, but screwed themselves over. Instead of trading for a rental Weber, at a rental price, and then re-signing him reasonably, they are going to have to outbid a majority of the league next year, and frankly wouldn't have the assets to pull it off.
How willing is Nashville going to be to work with Philly after this? My guess is Weber isn't going to Philly unless it's a highway robbery. I'm glad to see this backfired on the Flyers, I still think it was a dick move.

Closed Thread