HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers sign Taylor Pyatt (2 years @ $1.55 million per)

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 06:53 AM
  #276
GarretJoseph*
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: NYC
Country: United States
Posts: 7,604
vCash: 500
Spoke to my friend in Buffalo who said he liked Pyatt. Called him a "power forward who is soft as charmin", also was told "he likes to party, was always around downtown buffalo partying, it wore thin on management"...finally the one comment that I didn't like was "he's basically a soft ruslan fedotenko"

GarretJoseph* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:01 PM
  #277
Edge
Registered User
 
Edge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Sin City
Country: United States
Posts: 13,196
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarretJoseph View Post
Spoke to my friend in Buffalo who said he liked Pyatt. Called him a "power forward who is soft as charmin", also was told "he likes to party, was always around downtown buffalo partying, it wore thin on management"...finally the one comment that I didn't like was "he's basically a soft ruslan fedotenko"
The tough thing for a player like Pyatt is expectations. He's big, he can skate and he has a good amount of skill. It just never all comes together in a complete, dominating package. It's why teams have always taken a flyer on him, the hope that he us it all together and really gives them a unique player.

At this stage in his career, those expectations don't really exist. He's a solid bottom six player who provides depth and can occasionally play a line or two above his ability, for short amounts of time.

If he can pot 10-15 goals, it's a very good signing.

Edge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 12:15 PM
  #278
nyr5186
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: New Orleans
Country: Madagascar
Posts: 2,702
vCash: 500
I see Pyatt as a perfect match on a line with Boyle. Kinda similar players. BB is bigger, but he's a guy that always had a unique blend of skill and size, but never really put it together until he improved his skating and spent some time under the right coach (Torts). We'll see how Torts' influence has an effect on Pyatt.

I like the signing.

nyr5186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:13 PM
  #279
Levitate
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,622
vCash: 500
Watching Pyatt's goal highlights, it seems that he at least knows how to go to the front of the net to score goals (even if the doesn't score a lot of them)

Levitate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:20 PM
  #280
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,920
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupersonicMonkey View Post
Dude.

He's 6-4.

At the end of a shift he got up the ice quick enough and had the frame of mind to set up a goal.

You guys are ridiculous.

This is a player far more skilled than any player we have had in the bottom six, in years, someone who is effective at both ends of the rink.

And folks are whining because he's not a top line 8 million dollar super star.

Tortorella talked over and over and over about depth. Quality depth. Pyatt is quality depth.
All I did was say he's slow, and that video gives me more conviction to that end. I was more shocked at how most of the Kings just kind of stood and watched.

Now I hate neither the player nor the signing. For what it's worth, I think he's more of a Fedotenko replacement than one for Prust, or a fill-in for the great Mike Rupp.

He is no more than a 4th liner with strength/decent hands, and that video does nothing to validate him as more than that.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
  #281
Ace2008
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Country:
Posts: 366
vCash: 500
in 15 minutes of ice in 2010-11 season he notched 18 goals

trade Dubinsky + stralman+ a pick and non NHL prospect for

erik Johnson or Keith yandle and let the 2nd tier PP time go to Pyatt


goal expectation in * *'s
Kreider-B.R.- A.Stewart(was available for a 3rdpick)/Gaborik *23-26-19* gabo-26

Pyatt-Stepan-Doan/or Semin for 1 yr deal *16-21-24*

Hall-Anisimov-Callahan *24-16-23*

Hagelin-Boyle-Rupp *4-14-6*

Asham-Newbury-Gilroy(reserve swingman) *1-0-4*



MCdonagh-E.Johnson *11-10*

Staal-Girardi *9-6*

Erixon-Kubina *3-9*

(bit of a pricey 1 yr signing but Kubina is a good Sauer replacement for a #6 dman)

MDZ+JTM + pick for Taylor Hall gives a dynamic LW for under $4 that can probably outskate, stickhandle and score either NAsh or Ryan. MDZ's upside is over 60pts and he is exactly what the OIL need a Lefty PPQB as both Whitney and Schultz are right shootinig

no crazy Nash or Ryan trades...let the other teams overpay and the NYR youth pipeline continues while this team is big AND considerably grittier than last years team.


Last edited by Ace2008: 07-05-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Ace2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:32 PM
  #282
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge View Post
The tough thing for a player like Pyatt is expectations. He's big, he can skate and he has a good amount of skill. It just never all comes together in a complete, dominating package. It's why teams have always taken a flyer on him, the hope that he us it all together and really gives them a unique player.

At this stage in his career, those expectations don't really exist. He's a solid bottom six player who provides depth and can occasionally play a line or two above his ability, for short amounts of time.

If he can pot 10-15 goals, it's a very good signing.
I see him as Ponikarovsky. Both play a similar style and are hard to play against over long series because even if they just lean on you, it is exhausting. They can play anywhere from the 2nd to the 4th line and not look out of place and know that in order to score they have to go to the dirty areas to do so. I really like this signing for what it is, depth.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:37 PM
  #283
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobMarleyNYR View Post
All I did was say he's slow, and that video gives me more conviction to that end. I was more shocked at how most of the Kings just kind of stood and watched.

Now I hate neither the player nor the signing. For what it's worth, I think he's more of a Fedotenko replacement than one for Prust, or a fill-in for the great Mike Rupp.

He is no more than a 4th liner with strength/decent hands, and that video does nothing to validate him as more than that.
Pyatt is more a 3rd liner than a 4th. 10g and 25 points actually makes a player more suitable for a 3rd line role on most NHL teams.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 01:41 PM
  #284
BobMarleyNYR
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Alphabet
Country: Iraq
Posts: 2,920
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to BobMarleyNYR
for tertiary offense alone, maybe, he's not a 3rd liner on a good team... but it doesn't appear like we're exactly gearing up to be good.

BobMarleyNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 04:22 PM
  #285
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash
 
BlueshirtBlitz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York
Posts: 18,774
vCash: 500
Pyatt isn't that fast and he isn't a banger...but he brings a dimension to our 4th line- scoring.

I think Boyle can go back to 30~ points and Pyatt 20 playing with each other.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:40 PM
  #286
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Pyatt is more a 3rd liner than a 4th. 10g and 25 points actually makes a player more suitable for a 3rd line role on most NHL teams.
Not on teams with good offensive depth... and that's the goal.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:49 PM
  #287
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
Not on teams with good offensive depth... and that's the goal.
If you are relying that heavily on your support players to score then your top 6 needs to improve.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 09:53 PM
  #288
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
If you are relying that heavily on your support players to score then your top 6 needs to improve.
35-45 points out of your 3rd liners is not heavy reliance by any stretch of the imagination.

Our problem against the Devils was that we didn't have a 4th line to counter theirs because our 4th line was busy playing as our 3rd line. Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust are all essentially 20-30 point players. Not good enough for your 3rd line.

A small contradiction here: I don't mind so much a 3rd liner scoring 25 points if the other two are around 40. Just like I don't mind so much a 1st liner scoring 50 points if the other two are 70+. That lesser production from the 3rd player on the 1st line is why I don't really have any desire to trade for Nash or Ryan.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:07 PM
  #289
NJRangers35
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 274
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Pyatt isn't that fast and he isn't a banger...but he brings a dimension to our 4th line- scoring.

I think Boyle can go back to 30~ points and Pyatt 20 playing with each other.
Just not seeing Pyatt as a 4th liner. Right now we have Rupp, Pyatt, Asham, Haley, and Boyle. We are looking at Boyle or Pyatt being on the third line.

NJRangers35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 10:10 PM
  #290
Tawnos
A guy with a bass
 
Tawnos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Charlotte, NC
Country: United States
Posts: 11,582
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJRangers35 View Post
Just not seeing Pyatt as a 4th liner. Right now we have Rupp, Pyatt, Asham, Haley, and Boyle. We are looking at Boyle or Pyatt being on the third line.
That's because you're thinking of the lineup from the bottom up. It's actually built from the top down.

However, at least for this coming season, Haley is a minor league signing who will be called up for injury.

If the Rangers bring in one more forward for the top 9, Rupp, Asham and Pyatt will be splitting time as the 13th forward.

Tawnos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 07:43 AM
  #291
NYR Viper
Moderator
 
NYR Viper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: PA
Country: United States
Posts: 28,411
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tawnos View Post
35-45 points out of your 3rd liners is not heavy reliance by any stretch of the imagination.

Our problem against the Devils was that we didn't have a 4th line to counter theirs because our 4th line was busy playing as our 3rd line. Fedotenko-Boyle-Prust are all essentially 20-30 point players. Not good enough for your 3rd line.

A small contradiction here: I don't mind so much a 3rd liner scoring 25 points if the other two are around 40. Just like I don't mind so much a 1st liner scoring 50 points if the other two are 70+. That lesser production from the 3rd player on the 1st line is why I don't really have any desire to trade for Nash or Ryan.
If you look at NHL.com and the stats there you will see that 20-30 points is actually the normal output for a 3rd liner in the NHL.

Would teams love to have (3) 40 point players on their 3rd line? Of course. Most teams do not. And if they do score 40 points, they most likely are deficient in other areas of their game (defensive play, lack a physical element, extremely inconsistent).

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 10:49 AM
  #292
Baby Punisher
Registered User
 
Baby Punisher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Staten Island, NY
Posts: 2,527
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Pyatt is more a 3rd liner than a 4th. 10g and 25 points actually makes a player more suitable for a 3rd line role on most NHL teams.
I agree, he is on a line with AA & Dubi. That could be a solid 3rd line.

Baby Punisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-06-2012, 11:40 AM
  #293
Pizza
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 10,001
vCash: 500
As we have already seen, players can have a reputation prior to be being a Torts guy, and something quite different after...

Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 06:25 AM
  #294
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,856
vCash: 500
Pyatt's 1st year salary is $1.45M. 2nd year salary is $1.65M. $1.55M AAV.

http://www.nhlpa.com/Players/Compensation/default.aspx

Go to Rangers page

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:22 PM
  #295
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller
 
RangerBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: New York
Country: United States
Posts: 31,856
vCash: 500
Quote:
Pyatt believes part of the reason he was able to go to New York was his post-season performance, and his experience as a member of two conference finalists in recent years. He will also be welcomed to the Big Apple by fellow Thunder Bay native Marc Staal, who’s been a standout on the Rangers blueline since breaking into the NHL in 2007. While Staal didn’t directly influence Pyatt’s decision this summer, the two have spoken in the past about potentially playing together in New York. Upon hearing about Pyatt’s signing, Staal was quick to mention how much fun it is to play in New York, and played down any rumours about it being difficult to play under mercurial head coach John Tortorella.

“Everyone I’ve talked to, they’ve all enjoyed playing for him, he’s a real intense guy but he’s real honest, he’ll never play mind games with you and I think that’s all you can ask for. Especially for a player that’s been around the league a long time, you just want a coach that’s honest with you and I’m looking forward to playing under him,” said Pyatt.
http://www.chroniclejournal.com/cont...opes-big-apple

RangerBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:27 PM
  #296
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
I think Pyatt has a pretty good year.

RGY is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:33 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.