HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Free Agency Part V: Y u no frenzy?!?!?! (Suter and Parise sign with Wild)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 01:36 PM
TrojanRanger

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Morrison View Post
Howson's leverage is getting a little bit better with each day of free agency that passes and the Rangers don't adress their scoring. Sorry to say, but it's true.
Yeah it is, except that it isn't.

Nash's NTC makes it impossible for Howson to have any wiggle room in this process unless a team steps in with a big offer.

I don't know why, but I feel like i just repeated myself.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
No it's not. The Rangers got to the ECF with the same team as the one they have now last season. And all our young players are a year older. Howson has no more leverage now than he did on June 30th.
The Rangers did indeed make the ECF. And then what? Our scoring was the obvious issue the entire playoffs, and if we don't fix that we won't be winning the cup anytime soon. As I said during the trade-deadline, we don't know what will happen next season. Yes, our players will be one year older, but does that automatically mean that they'll be better? Didn't we all think that Gaborik would score 50 after his 09/10 season? Or how many believed that Dubinsky would have his abysmal season that he had? Or better yet, you think Oiler and Cane fans believed they'd fall into oblivion after their cup/getting to the finals?

It's clear Howson won't blink, and it's clear that neither will Sather. That's why I find it troublesome that we're not doing anything in free agency to fix what was our most glaring need during the playoffs. I don't want to be the regular season champs, I want to be the post season champs.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:39 PM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
The Rangers did indeed make the ECF. And then what? Our scoring was the obvious issue the entire playoffs, and if we don't fix that we won't be winning the cup anytime soon. As I said during the trade-deadline, we don't know what will happen next season. Yes, our players will be one year older, but does that automatically mean that they'll be better? Didn't we all think that Gaborik would score 50 after his 09/10 season? Or how many believed that Dubinsky would have his abysmal season that he had? Or better yet, you think Oiler and Cane fans believed they'd fall into oblivion after their cup/getting to the finals?

It's clear Howson won't blink, and it's clear that neither will Sather. That's why I find it troublesome that we're not doing anything in free agency to fix what was our most glaring need during the playoffs. I don't want to be the regular season champs, I want to be the post season champs.
Who did you want in this free agent class? Who do you want who is still available?

Old
07-04-2012, 01:41 PM
BKBlackRanger
My Glove******Instagram

howson *yawn*... the dude won't last next season

Old
07-04-2012, 01:42 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
So, can you please give a few options to what will solve our scoring issues except for Nash and Ryan?
Again, the options don't even have to be present right now. And neither you nor I are aware of what players are even available, besides those that are "officially" on the block. But rest assured Sather is constantly checking in with the rest of the GMs to kick tires and see who might be available. We don't have to deal for Nash or Ryan just because those are the two biggest names that can be had. Just because we might not have the best roster heading in to training camp doesn't mean the season is lost. So I could give you a few options of guys I'd like to add, but that means nothing because I don't know if they are available, and whether they are worth the price. But Sather is waiting for the right deal to come along...and when it does he'll pull the trigger. We really just need to have patience. If it doesn't happen this month, or next or the month after that there's still no need to panic. We're a young team that's still getting better...despite what many think, time is still on our side.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Who did you want in this free agent class? Who do you want who is still available?
I wanted either of Ray Whitney, Jaromir Jagr, Jiri Hudler, Steve Sullivan(well, as a late option). I also would've liked Sami Salo at that price to complete our D. I also feel like we could've gotten in on the Roy trade.

As to who is available, Mueller looks like an option. Also Semin if all else fall through. But to tell you the truth, we should've acted way earlier on the players I listed above. But they're already signed now.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:44 PM
n1cON
bleeds blue ! ! !

Quote:
Exactly! No one left which i want to see in a NYR-Uniform. So move on with the guys we have and see what happens till trade-deadline...

Old
07-04-2012, 01:45 PM
Killem Dafoe
modus operandi

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Pretty sure a bunch of us watched it, so maybe a pot that you watch won't boil... So why don't you go outside so some stuff happens.
I was afraid of that. At least it happened though, thank God both are in Minny and this makes me happy. I like that club and it looks like they just got a helluva lot better.

Old
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Again, the options don't even have to be present right now. And neither you nor I are aware of what players are even available, besides those that are "officially" on the block. But rest assured Sather is constantly checking in with the rest of the GMs to kick tires and see who might be available. We don't have to deal for Nash or Ryan just because those are the two biggest names that can be had. Just because we might not have the best roster heading in to training camp doesn't mean the season is lost. So I could give you a few options of guys I'd like to add, but that means nothing because I don't know if they are available, and whether they are worth the price. But Sather is waiting for the right deal to come along...and when it does he'll pull the trigger. We really just need to have patience. If it doesn't happen this month, or next or the month after that there's still no need to panic. We're a young team that's still getting better...despite what many think, time is still on our side.
No, but I just want your honest opinion one who you'd want/who you'd think we could target.

Old
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Quote:
Parise's contract is front-loaded: $12M, 12M, 11M, 9M, 9M, 9M, 9M, 9M, 8M, 6M, 2M, 1M, 1M
https://twitter.com/Ledger_NJDevils/...88549261631488

Quote:
Parise gets $10 million signing bonus in each of first two seasons with a $2 million base
https://twitter.com/AGrossRecord/sta...89128222392321

Quote:
So both Parise and Suter each get $25 million in signing bonuses: $10 M payable now, $10 M payable July 1, 2013 and $5 M on July 1, 2014
https://twitter.com/Real_ESPNLeBrun/...89414743678976

Old
07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
broadwayblue

Isn't that illegal? I thought you couldn't reduce the salary by more than 50% from one year to the next.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:48 PM
Dantes19

Quote:

For some reason, I thought the annual salary couldn't drop by more than 50% from one season to the next (i.e. $6M to $2M).

Anyone else remember hearing that as a rule for contracts? I guess I was mistaken.

Old
Bob Richards
Global Moderator
Mr. Mojo Risin'

vCash: 50
Holy ****, that's a disgusting amount of money.

Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Isn't that illegal? I thought you couldn't reduce the salary by more than 50% from one year to the next.
No it's 50% of the average of the first two years or something like that

Old
07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
No, but I just want your honest opinion one who you'd want/who you'd think we could target.
Like I said, my opinion is irrelevant because I don't know who might be available. If I were a GM I could tell you which teams were looking for help at which positions and where a deal could likely be made. But I'm not. Just because I would love to have a certain player doesn't mean he could be had. I mean I'd love to trade for Evander Kane, but for all I know the Jets have no interest in dealing him.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
It's the 2m base in the first two years that lets you get away with it.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:52 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Could you imagine hanging out at the 4th of July BBQ with your family and friends knowing you just made $100M.

Old
Black Tank

This FA class sucks and I'm content to go with what we have at this point. If Semin can be brought in without a decade long contract than that might work, until he's benched for 35 games in a row...but than at least he can be traded for prospects and picks.

Nash, well Nash just isn't going to cure the Ranger's goalscoring ills and isn't worth much. Columbus can keep its headache.

No one in the east got stronger, Pitt and NJ got weaker. No reason to make any hasty moves if you're Sather.

Old
Dantes19

Quote:

Ohhk, that's pretty slick structuring. Thanks for the info.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:54 PM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Quote:

OK, I'll play the game for a second since you clearly don't understand.

We are the same team. Dubi had a down year -- he should be better.

Gaborik will be healthy come December.

Pittsburgh is now a significantly worse team.

The Devils are now a significantly worse team.

We beat the piss out of the Flyers regardless.

How is this all of a sudden terrible for us? The teams around us are worse today than they were last season.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:54 PM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

These contracts are so ****ing stupid.

Oh well, just glad none of our rivals got these guys.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Brian Boyle
portnor, pls

vCash: 659
Quote:
I don't think that's it. I think it's the total salary including bonuses, but half of 12 is 6 and it doesn't drop by more than 6 in any year.

Could be wrong however.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Dantes19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Tank View Post
This FA class sucks and I'm content to go with what we have at this point. If Semin can be brought in without a decade long contract than that might work, until he's benched for 35 games in a row...but than at least he can be traded for prospects and picks.

You're advocating bringing in a guy who you think will be consistently benched? And you think that, after poor performance, consistent benching you'll just be able to instantly dump him for prospects and picks?

I'm not seeing much logic to that line of thought. I don't think Semin is the answer to this team's problems.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:56 PM
Draft Guru
The Wizard of ÷zil

Quote:
Rule 26.3,

No Club or Club Actor, directly or indirectly, may: (i) enter into any agreements, promises, undertakings, representations, commitments, inducements, assurances of intent, or understandings of any kind, whether express, implied, oral or written, including without limitation, any SPC, Qualifying Offer, Offer Sheet or other transaction, or (ii) take or fail to take any action whatsoever, if either (i) or (ii) is intended to or has the effect of defeating or Circumventing the provisions of this Agreement.
Quote:
The final two years of Talbotís deal are reportedly worth $1 million per year. This would violate cap rules as the final two years of the contract can not be worth less than half of either of the first two years of the deal. ó TSN
The first 2 years of the contracts are 2M base with 10M in signing bonus. That's crap. It should be look at as 12M in compensation. Therefore the final years at 1M are WAY less than half of the first 2 years.

So dumb that they can get away with this.

I hope things change drastically in the new CBA and there's a cap on contracts say 7 years max.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:58 PM
Jim Morrison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
OK, I'll play the game for a second since you clearly don't understand.

We are the same team. Dubi had a down year -- he should be better.

Gaborik will be healthy come December.

Pittsburgh is now a significantly worse team.

The Devils are now a significantly worse team.

We beat the piss out of the Flyers regardless.

How is this all of a sudden terrible for us? The teams around us are worse today than they were last season.
Ok, I've made a mistake. We're not putting all of our eggs in the Nash-basket, we're putting some in the "hope all of our players will be much better-basket". Who will have the next down-year? No one? Will all of our prospects boom and not bust? So many "shoulds" and whatnot. Hey, if your predicition comes true, i'm all for it. I just think it's a bit naive hoping that everything will solve itself.

We are the same team. Did that team not have issues? Did that team not get exposed late in the playoffs?

Closed Thread