HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 08:12 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Im talking like today.. as the Heatley he is right now on the wild considering their cap situation.. this off-season would you want to trade for him if he was on the "block" like Nash and Ryan.. would you consider it.
Eh I'd consider it. Kind of hard to separate my disrespect of Heatley and give his current game a fair evaluation on how he could help this team now and long term.

After the whole Nash ordeal I'm kind of off the packaging up assets route for the time being. If we can't get someone through FA then just continue the route we're going and see what our prospects can do.

Last edited by RedWhiteBlackGold: 07-04-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 08:17 PM
mcnorth

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Im talking like today.. as the Heatley he is right now on the wild considering their cap situation.. this off-season would you want to trade for him if he was on the "block" like Nash and Ryan.. would you consider it.
I'd consider it. I like the idea of a sniper on Spezza's wing. Wouldn't want to deal away as much as Nash, though.

Old
07-04-2012, 08:56 PM
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9

Matt Carle to Tampa. 6 years, 5.5 mil per.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:02 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
Yzerman, I thought you knew better than to drunk-dial player agents...

Old
07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
Iamok
#Panic

1m less than EK. That contract gets better and better.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:12 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Yeah, totally. Pretty clever of BM to get that deal done right away before EK started to see the UFA money.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:17 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
I think it is worth repeating but who else is glad the Ottawa Senators are currently rebuilding?

With the new CBA not even in place I'm pretty happy that BM isn't out spending like a drunken sailor. So far the only contracts BM has given out are one year deals, and I think we'll be pretty thankful for that if the cap or floor goes way down.

No matter how you look at things this is still a rebuild for Ottawa, so I think we ought to keep up the "I ain't even mad" mantra for another season regardless of how things turn out.

Last edited by Yokai: 07-04-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 09:23 PM
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
I think it is worth repeating but who else is glad the Ottawa Senators are currently rebuilding?

With the new CBA not even in place I'm pretty happy that BM isn't out spending like a drunken sailor. So far the only contracts BM has given out are one year deals, and I think we'll be pretty thankful for that if the cap or floor goes way down.

No matter how you looks at things this is still a rebuild for Ottawa, so I think we ought to keep up the "I ain't even mad" mantra for another season regardless of how things turn out.
I'm just glad we locked up Karlsson for 6 years at a good price. The money being thrown around this off-season is pretty crazy.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:23 PM
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free

Quote:

No matter how you looks at things this is still a rebuild for Ottawa, so I think we ought to keep up the "I ain't even mad" mantra for another season regardless of how things turn out.
Agreed. The money flying around the past few days has been insane.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
Pretty funny when EK got his contract there were quite a bit of people saying it was too much on the main boards.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:02 PM
L'Aveuglette

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
I'm just glad we locked up Karlsson for 6 years at a good price. The money being thrown around this off-season is pretty crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Agreed. The money flying around the past few days has been insane.
Are you guys the same person?

Old
07-04-2012, 10:05 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:

No matter how you look at things this is still a rebuild for Ottawa, so I think we ought to keep up the "I ain't even mad" mantra for another season regardless of how things turn out.
It's not my money. What do I care what Euge spends his cash on?

I'm concerned that it looks like he wants to spend as little as possible this offseason.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:05 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Too bad we couldn't find a spot for him - a good foot soldier. I wonder if Murray and he threw around the idea of a 2-way, or if that was just a non-starter for Konopka. Not like he'd be taking minutes away from the young guys, even at Bingo. Hope he taught JOB and Smith everything he knew about face-offs already.
2-way doesnt make him waiver exempt. Someone would have picked him up for free when we sent him down to Bingo.

There seems to be a belief on this board that a 2-way contract means that you can bounce players up and down at will.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:07 PM
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
2-way doesnt make him waiver exempt. Someone would have picked him up for free when we sent him down to Bingo.

There seems to be a belief on this board that a 2-way contract means that you can bounce players up and down at will.
Video game waivers.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:16 PM
Yokai

vCash: 1243
Quote:
Video game waivers.
Truth EA Sports is to blame for that blatant misconception. In regards to Melynk not wanting to spend money, well who cares really. This UFA class sucked and I'd rather not have the team I'm cheering for saddled down with long-term overpaid players.

Ever notice that people say every UFA class next year is going to be better though? Generally the better players get locked up to extensions, and only the players that are either demanding too much money/term or want to play somewhere specific leave.

Management can say whatever they want about raised expectations, but the reality is there is supposed to be a three year plan in place and I doubt last year's unexpected success changed that. The signings this year reflect that the team is in transition waiting for the young players to step up into the vacant spots.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 PM
danishh

Quote:

I mentioned it somewhere else, but ottawa's contractual obligations (1-way) for the following years:

2013-14: 8 (Spezza, Michalek, Greening, Karlsson, Phillips, Methot, Cowen (2-way but nhler), Anderson)
2014-15 : 4 (Spezza, Karlsson, Methot, Anderson)
2015- : 1 (Karlsson)

that gives us an insane amount of flexibility going into the new CBA. Good place to be.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:15 PM
WhiteLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
Carle @ 5.5 > Methot @ 3. Carle @ 5.5 + Foligno > Methot @ 3.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
carsonscave
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
It's not my money. What do I care what Euge spends his cash on?

I'm concerned that it looks like he wants to spend as little as possible this offseason.
I find it quite clever to wait until a new CBA is in place before signing more contracts. Karlsson is a kid we develop in the organization and is worth locking up to that amount because you have a good file on him.
We're also entering year two of a three year rebuilding stage. I am sure next year and/or the year after we'll be spending quite a bit on both our own players and UFA's who all the sudden want to come to Ottawa again because we are potential contenders.

Old
WhiteLight

Quote:
Truth EA Sports is to blame for that blatant misconception. In regards to Melynk not wanting to spend money, well who cares really. This UFA class sucked and I'd rather not have the team I'm cheering for saddled down with long-term overpaid players.

Ever notice that people say every UFA class next year is going to be better though? Generally the better players get locked up to extensions, and only the players that are either demanding too much money/term or want to play somewhere specific leave.

Management can say whatever they want about raised expectations, but the reality is there is supposed to be a three year plan in place and I doubt last year's unexpected success changed that. The signings this year reflect that the team is in transition waiting for the young players to step up into the vacant spots.
the big fishes next year are Getzlaf and Perry. With the way Anaheim has completely destroyed their team since the Cup win, they may want to leave.

Old
mcnorth

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Maybe not the defensive stud some guys wanted, but I like your math.

Old
carsonscave
Rookie User

Quote:

Time heals all wounds, even the gaping Foligno-is-gone one!

Old
07-04-2012, 11:20 PM
WhiteLight

Quote:
Maybe not the defensive stud some guys wanted, but I like your math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonscave View Post

Time heals all wounds, even the gaping Foligno-is-gone one!
Yeah Carle is significantly better offensively and not nearly as bad defensively as some people make him out to be. He'd do well on this team.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar

Quote:
Yeah Carle is significantly better offensively and not nearly as bad defensively as some people make him out to be. He'd do well on this team.
Meh, I think Carle is way overrated, or do enough people think he's overrated now that he's not overrated?

Old
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
bacon25

Quote:
the big fishes next year are Getzlaf and Perry. With the way Anaheim has completely destroyed their team since the Cup win, they may want to leave.
Perry will not be in play but Getzlaf may be. Perry is a player they can rebuild around.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:32 PM
WhiteLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Meh, I think Carle is way overrated, or do enough people think he's overrated now that he's not overrated?

Closed Thread