HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2012, 08:12 PM
  #251
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User
 
RedWhiteBlackGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlottetown, PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,714
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Im talking like today.. as the Heatley he is right now on the wild considering their cap situation.. this off-season would you want to trade for him if he was on the "block" like Nash and Ryan.. would you consider it.
Eh I'd consider it. Kind of hard to separate my disrespect of Heatley and give his current game a fair evaluation on how he could help this team now and long term.

After the whole Nash ordeal I'm kind of off the packaging up assets route for the time being. If we can't get someone through FA then just continue the route we're going and see what our prospects can do.

__________________
http://i60.tinypic.com/2vmddhj.png

Last edited by RedWhiteBlackGold: 07-04-2012 at 08:18 PM.
RedWhiteBlackGold is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:17 PM
  #252
mcnorth
Registered User
 
mcnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Im talking like today.. as the Heatley he is right now on the wild considering their cap situation.. this off-season would you want to trade for him if he was on the "block" like Nash and Ryan.. would you consider it.
I'd consider it. I like the idea of a sniper on Spezza's wing. Wouldn't want to deal away as much as Nash, though.

mcnorth is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 08:56 PM
  #253
Saabman0508
Harb Quote Count: 9
 
Saabman0508's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,460
vCash: 500
Matt Carle to Tampa. 6 years, 5.5 mil per.

Saabman0508 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:02 PM
  #254
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER
 
BonkTastic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Ottawa, thankfully.
Country: Canada
Posts: 17,826
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
Matt Carle to Tampa. 6 years, 5.5 mil per.
Yzerman, I thought you knew better than to drunk-dial player agents...


BonkTastic is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:08 PM
  #255
Iamok
#Panic
 
Iamok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 6,632
vCash: 500
1m less than EK. That contract gets better and better.

Iamok is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:12 PM
  #256
mcnorth
Registered User
 
mcnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
1m less than EK. That contract gets better and better.
Yeah, totally. Pretty clever of BM to get that deal done right away before EK started to see the UFA money.

mcnorth is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:17 PM
  #257
Yokai
Registered User
 
Yokai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,904
vCash: 1243
I think it is worth repeating but who else is glad the Ottawa Senators are currently rebuilding?

With the new CBA not even in place I'm pretty happy that BM isn't out spending like a drunken sailor. So far the only contracts BM has given out are one year deals, and I think we'll be pretty thankful for that if the cap or floor goes way down.

No matter how you look at things this is still a rebuild for Ottawa, so I think we ought to keep up the "I ain't even mad" mantra for another season regardless of how things turn out.


Last edited by Yokai: 07-04-2012 at 09:31 PM.
Yokai is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:23 PM
  #258
RedWhiteBlackGold
Veteran User
 
RedWhiteBlackGold's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Charlottetown, PE
Country: Canada
Posts: 10,714
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
I think it is worth repeating but who else is glad the Ottawa Senators are currently rebuilding?

With the new CBA not even in place I'm pretty happy that BM isn't out spending like a drunken sailor. So far the only contracts BM has given out are one year deals, and I think we'll be pretty thankful for that if the cap or floor goes way down.

No matter how you looks at things this is still a rebuild for Ottawa, so I think we ought to keep up the "I ain't even mad" mantra for another season regardless of how things turn out.
I'm just glad we locked up Karlsson for 6 years at a good price. The money being thrown around this off-season is pretty crazy.

RedWhiteBlackGold is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:23 PM
  #259
Nac Mac Feegle
wee & free
 
Nac Mac Feegle's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,823
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
I think it is worth repeating but who else is glad the Ottawa Senators are currently rebuilding?

With the new CBA not even in place I'm pretty happy that BM isn't out spending like a drunken sailor. So far the only contracts BM has given out are one year deals, and I think we'll be pretty thankful for that if the cap or floor goes way down.

No matter how you looks at things this is still a rebuild for Ottawa, so I think we ought to keep up the "I ain't even mad" mantra for another season regardless of how things turn out.
Agreed. The money flying around the past few days has been insane.

Nac Mac Feegle is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 09:36 PM
  #260
2Cowen
Registered User
 
2Cowen's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 5,554
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iamok View Post
1m less than EK. That contract gets better and better.
Pretty funny when EK got his contract there were quite a bit of people saying it was too much on the main boards.

2Cowen is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:02 PM
  #261
L'Aveuglette
Registered User
 
L'Aveuglette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,437
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
I'm just glad we locked up Karlsson for 6 years at a good price. The money being thrown around this off-season is pretty crazy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Agreed. The money flying around the past few days has been insane.
Are you guys the same person?

L'Aveuglette is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:05 PM
  #262
jordan7hm
Registered User
 
jordan7hm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,311
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
I think it is worth repeating but who else is glad the Ottawa Senators are currently rebuilding?

With the new CBA not even in place I'm pretty happy that BM isn't out spending like a drunken sailor. So far the only contracts BM has given out are one year deals, and I think we'll be pretty thankful for that if the cap or floor goes way down.

No matter how you look at things this is still a rebuild for Ottawa, so I think we ought to keep up the "I ain't even mad" mantra for another season regardless of how things turn out.
It's not my money. What do I care what Euge spends his cash on?

I'm concerned that it looks like he wants to spend as little as possible this offseason.

jordan7hm is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:05 PM
  #263
Mercurial
#lalala
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,179
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Too bad we couldn't find a spot for him - a good foot soldier. I wonder if Murray and he threw around the idea of a 2-way, or if that was just a non-starter for Konopka. Not like he'd be taking minutes away from the young guys, even at Bingo. Hope he taught JOB and Smith everything he knew about face-offs already.
2-way doesnt make him waiver exempt. Someone would have picked him up for free when we sent him down to Bingo.

There seems to be a belief on this board that a 2-way contract means that you can bounce players up and down at will.

Mercurial is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:07 PM
  #264
mcnorth
Registered User
 
mcnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
2-way doesnt make him waiver exempt. Someone would have picked him up for free when we sent him down to Bingo.

There seems to be a belief on this board that a 2-way contract means that you can bounce players up and down at will.
Video game waivers.

mcnorth is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:16 PM
  #265
Yokai
Registered User
 
Yokai's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,904
vCash: 1243
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Video game waivers.
Truth EA Sports is to blame for that blatant misconception. In regards to Melynk not wanting to spend money, well who cares really. This UFA class sucked and I'd rather not have the team I'm cheering for saddled down with long-term overpaid players.

Ever notice that people say every UFA class next year is going to be better though? Generally the better players get locked up to extensions, and only the players that are either demanding too much money/term or want to play somewhere specific leave.

Management can say whatever they want about raised expectations, but the reality is there is supposed to be a three year plan in place and I doubt last year's unexpected success changed that. The signings this year reflect that the team is in transition waiting for the young players to step up into the vacant spots.

Yokai is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 PM
  #266
danishh
Registered User
 
danishh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: YOW
Country: Canada
Posts: 30,788
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
I think it is worth repeating but who else is glad the Ottawa Senators are currently rebuilding?

With the new CBA not even in place I'm pretty happy that BM isn't out spending like a drunken sailor. So far the only contracts BM has given out are one year deals, and I think we'll be pretty thankful for that if the cap or floor goes way down.

No matter how you look at things this is still a rebuild for Ottawa, so I think we ought to keep up the "I ain't even mad" mantra for another season regardless of how things turn out.
I mentioned it somewhere else, but ottawa's contractual obligations (1-way) for the following years:

2013-14: 8 (Spezza, Michalek, Greening, Karlsson, Phillips, Methot, Cowen (2-way but nhler), Anderson)
2014-15 : 4 (Spezza, Karlsson, Methot, Anderson)
2015- : 1 (Karlsson)


that gives us an insane amount of flexibility going into the new CBA. Good place to be.

danishh is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 11:15 PM
  #267
WhiteLight
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
Matt Carle to Tampa. 6 years, 5.5 mil per.
Carle @ 5.5 > Methot @ 3. Carle @ 5.5 + Foligno > Methot @ 3.

WhiteLight is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
  #268
carsonscave
Rookie User
 
carsonscave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan7hm View Post
It's not my money. What do I care what Euge spends his cash on?

I'm concerned that it looks like he wants to spend as little as possible this offseason.
I find it quite clever to wait until a new CBA is in place before signing more contracts. Karlsson is a kid we develop in the organization and is worth locking up to that amount because you have a good file on him.
We're also entering year two of a three year rebuilding stage. I am sure next year and/or the year after we'll be spending quite a bit on both our own players and UFA's who all the sudden want to come to Ottawa again because we are potential contenders.

carsonscave is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
  #269
WhiteLight
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Truth EA Sports is to blame for that blatant misconception. In regards to Melynk not wanting to spend money, well who cares really. This UFA class sucked and I'd rather not have the team I'm cheering for saddled down with long-term overpaid players.

Ever notice that people say every UFA class next year is going to be better though? Generally the better players get locked up to extensions, and only the players that are either demanding too much money/term or want to play somewhere specific leave.

Management can say whatever they want about raised expectations, but the reality is there is supposed to be a three year plan in place and I doubt last year's unexpected success changed that. The signings this year reflect that the team is in transition waiting for the young players to step up into the vacant spots.
the big fishes next year are Getzlaf and Perry. With the way Anaheim has completely destroyed their team since the Cup win, they may want to leave.

WhiteLight is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
  #270
mcnorth
Registered User
 
mcnorth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 3,500
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Carle @ 5.5 > Methot @ 3. Carle @ 5.5 + Foligno > Methot @ 3.
Maybe not the defensive stud some guys wanted, but I like your math.


mcnorth is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 11:18 PM
  #271
carsonscave
Rookie User
 
carsonscave's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Ottawa, Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 254
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Carle @ 5.5 > Methot @ 3. Carle @ 5.5 + Foligno > Methot @ 3.


Time heals all wounds, even the gaping Foligno-is-gone one!

carsonscave is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 11:20 PM
  #272
WhiteLight
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Maybe not the defensive stud some guys wanted, but I like your math.

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsonscave View Post


Time heals all wounds, even the gaping Foligno-is-gone one!
Yeah Carle is significantly better offensively and not nearly as bad defensively as some people make him out to be. He'd do well on this team.

WhiteLight is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
  #273
PeterSidorkiewicz
Original *** allstar
 
PeterSidorkiewicz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Michigan
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 16,739
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
Yeah Carle is significantly better offensively and not nearly as bad defensively as some people make him out to be. He'd do well on this team.
Meh, I think Carle is way overrated, or do enough people think he's overrated now that he's not overrated?

PeterSidorkiewicz is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 11:31 PM
  #274
bacon25
Registered User
 
bacon25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Group Study Room F
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,297
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
the big fishes next year are Getzlaf and Perry. With the way Anaheim has completely destroyed their team since the Cup win, they may want to leave.
Perry will not be in play but Getzlaf may be. Perry is a player they can rebuild around.

bacon25 is offline  
Old
07-04-2012, 11:32 PM
  #275
WhiteLight
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 15,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSidorkiewicz View Post
Meh, I think Carle is way overrated, or do enough people think he's overrated now that he's not overrated?

WhiteLight is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:48 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2015 All Rights Reserved.