HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part II

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
  #326
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,367
vCash: 265
So I got bored and did some math.

As it stands on Capgeek our 19 player roster (does not include zibby, silf or RFA resigns) cap hit is $49,935,833. Actual payroll is $45,140,000.

That is a savings of $4,795,833. Most of that comes from Alfy. The other Million comes from Erik. Pretty neat seeing how well Murray balances the payroll with the signings.

Players that hit matches payroll:
Neil - 2 million
Regin - 800,000
Gonchar - 5.5 million
Cowan - 1,265,000 (has pf bonus, not sure what they are so i just included them)
Lundin - 1,150,000
Bishop - 650,000

Everyone else either is making more than their cap hit or less.
Kinda interesting. Well it is to me.

Qward is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 11:53 AM
  #327
JoeSakic
Registered User
 
JoeSakic's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 2,224
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
Nash is more marketable than Semin, I bet they'd have him hanging out front at SBP this summer if we got him. Nash would sell jerseys and tickets, or at least that's how Melnyk would see it.

Semin would be Kovalev 2.0 in this town, Ottawa Sun would have a field with the "enigmatic Russian" articles and I can't see too many casual fans being excited over Semin in this town due to his "rep"(deserved or not).
Not in the porn industry...just saying.

JoeSakic is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:00 PM
  #328
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,367
vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Roffler View Post
This. Its frustrating how so many people want to throw away the rebuild for 1 player.
Our rebuild basically stopped once we made the playoffs and almost beat the eastern conf leaders. Murray is now in tweek/contendor mode.

I have no problem trading unproven assets for a proven player that can make us better now.

By the time some of these kids hit their peak, our vets will be gone and others on the decline. Its a vicious cycle that can be broken by making a push.

I trust Murray.

Qward is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:09 PM
  #329
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?
 
Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,577
vCash: 500
Signing two projects to one year deals and trying to find a way to get above the cap floor is totally something a GM looking to contend would do.

Powdered Toast Man is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:13 PM
  #330
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,367
vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Signing two projects to one year deals and trying to find a way to get above the cap floor is totally something a GM looking to contend would do.
Latendresse is a project. Who is the other Lundin? He is a 6th/7th D with NHL experience. Something Boro and Patty lack.

Keep in mind that we were in on Nash until after we signed Latendresse.

Murray made a call to Parise. I highly doubt Murray is sitting around. He probably has something in the works.

Qward is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:15 PM
  #331
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'
 
Marty Straka's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,843
vCash: 500
I wonder if the Murray's were pissed when Drunk Melnyk spewed out that crap to the Ottawa Sun about WANTING to come here. I have a feeling that if Nash reworked his "List" or was finally ok with getting traded to Ottawa that Bryan would have explored that option once again... because hurt feelings and crap like that doesn't really have it's place in the business of hockey. I have a hard time believing that we had Soooo much interest in him to just back off and never explore it again if the opportunity arose that he did finally OK a trade to Ottawa.

__________________
Marty Straka
Twitter: @JT_YosH
Marty Straka is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:17 PM
  #332
Minister of Offence
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 23,055
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Our rebuild basically stopped once we made the playoffs and almost beat the eastern conf leaders. Murray is now in tweek/contendor mode.

I have no problem trading unproven assets for a proven player that can make us better now.

By the time some of these kids hit their peak, our vets will be gone and others on the decline. Its a vicious cycle that can be broken by making a push.

I trust Murray.

I don't think you can really name the "phase" we're in. We are just set up quite well in that we have some of the most important positions filled by players who are gonna be here a long while.

A big time winger could push into the contender area and if that comes about we'll deal one of the high end prospects we have, but not two...because we want this build to be sustainable. Zibanejad is fine, but Stone too? No.

I'm sure the org knows better than the fan base that missing the playoffs this year is realistic, but they also will know better that missing the playoffs this year wouldn't tell them they are doing things wrong at all. If they can push this team over the top they'll do what's necessary to do it, but they aren't in a position to tweak. We're missing an impact player anywhere, and management seems to think it's a guy that can help make Spez a 100 point player...and Karlsson 85-90. A guy that can win the Rocket playing with those two for large portions of games. I'm just gonna assume there's players out there like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Nash would be one of em.

Minister of Offence is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:18 PM
  #333
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?
 
Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,577
vCash: 500
Lundin played 17 games last year. He's a project.

Powdered Toast Man is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:21 PM
  #334
Senateurs
No rispek!!
 
Senateurs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,355
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11Alfredsson View Post
Hes 39 years old
So??

We have a very young team with one cup winner and barely any playoff experience.

Senateurs is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
  #335
Quo
Moderator
I, too, don't get it
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cornwall/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Lundin played 17 games last year. He's a project.
81 in 07
25 in 08
49 in 09
69 n 10

Guy has made it pretty well I'd say but had some bad luck with injury last year. If he's a project it's as a reclamation.

Quo is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
  #336
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?
 
Powdered Toast Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,577
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quo View Post
81 in 07
25 in 08
49 in 09
69 n 10

Guy has made it pretty well I'd say but had some bad luck with injury last year. If he's a project it's as a reclamation.
Reclaimation project, and he wasn't hurt all the time he was scratched a lot as well.

Powdered Toast Man is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:32 PM
  #337
Quo
Moderator
I, too, don't get it
 
Quo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Cornwall/Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,822
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
Reclaimation project
That's right.

Quo is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:37 PM
  #338
Benny FTW
Head Light Fluid
 
Benny FTW's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Country: Canada
Posts: 21,009
vCash: 137
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senateurs View Post
So??

We have a very young team with one cup winner and barely any playoff experience.
He sucks now. Theres a reason Detroit didn't resign him.

Benny FTW is online now  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
  #339
kohlmanator
Registered User
 
kohlmanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 300
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
I don't think you can really name the "phase" we're in. We are just set up quite well in that we have some of the most important positions filled by players who are gonna be here a long while.

A big time winger could push into the contender area and if that comes about we'll deal one of the high end prospects we have, but not two...because we want this build to be sustainable. Zibanejad is fine, but Stone too? No.

I'm sure the org knows better than the fan base that missing the playoffs this year is realistic, but they also will know better that missing the playoffs this year wouldn't tell them they are doing things wrong at all. If they can push this team over the top they'll do what's necessary to do it, but they aren't in a position to tweak. We're missing an impact player anywhere, and management seems to think it's a guy that can help make Spez a 100 point player...and Karlsson 85-90. A guy that can win the Rocket playing with those two for large portions of games. I'm just gonna assume there's players out there like that, and I wouldn't be surprised if a guy like Nash would be one of em.
I agree a big time winger can push us to the 'contender' area, but speaking of playoffs; our division may be pretty weak this year. A top 3 spot in the conference is not necessarily out of the question.

Boston: Is Rask ready for a 60+ game season?
Montreal: ??
Buffalo: I don't think they got much better
Toronto: They'll start out well and plan a parade as always, only to drop to the bottom of the conference around trade deadline, again. JVR will help though.
Ottawa: Building on success, new offensive prospects coming in.

kohlmanator is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
  #340
Iggy77
Registered User
 
Iggy77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Ottawa, ON
Posts: 1,431
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
I wonder if the Murray's were pissed when Drunk Melnyk spewed out that crap to the Ottawa Sun about WANTING to come here. I have a feeling that if Nash reworked his "List" or was finally ok with getting traded to Ottawa that Bryan would have explored that option once again... because hurt feelings and crap like that doesn't really have it's place in the business of hockey. I have a hard time believing that we had Soooo much interest in him to just back off and never explore it again if the opportunity arose that he did finally OK a trade to Ottawa.
Howson wanted Foligno, Lehner, Zib AND Mark Stone.

Doesn't matter if we're on his list or not, that's ridiculous.

He wants Jeff Skinner from Carolina (not on his list either), I am sure Rutherford hung up the phone as well.

Probably the same situation here, Howson keeps wanting more (for a player who won't even come here), it's a waste of time on Murray's part at this point.

Iggy77 is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
  #341
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 87
How can anyone accuse Melnyk of being cheap when he just ponied up huge for EK before he really needed to, and was obviously willing to take in Nash's albatross of a contract.

We're lucky to have Melnyk.

Clearly some of you don't remember the early years under Firestone or the Bryden house of cards.

John Holmes* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 01:01 PM
  #342
We Want the Cup 2010
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 605
vCash: 500
Rebuild... anyone heard of a rebuild???? Management said they were on a 3 year plan, stop whining about not signing over priced UFA's. When the time is right, the Sens will add the right piece(s). This is not the year to go for it. Patience ppl.

We Want the Cup 2010 is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 01:07 PM
  #343
D0C
Registered User
 
D0C's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 551
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
How can anyone accuse Melnyk of being cheap when he just ponied up huge for EK before he really needed to, and was obviously willing to take in Nash's albatross of a contract.

We're lucky to have Melnyk.

Clearly some of you don't remember the early years under Firestone or the Bryden house of cards.
Oh god yes...

*shivers*

D0C is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 01:09 PM
  #344
Max Power
Registered User
 
Max Power's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 1,590
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 19sens11 View Post
the big fishes next year are Getzlaf and Perry. With the way Anaheim has completely destroyed their team since the Cup win, they may want to leave.
This is a really good point. Since Murray drafted them there is a relation. He could very well be looking ahead at trying to lure one or both of them come next year. It is very likely they will test the market come next July.

Wishful thinking

Max Power is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 01:17 PM
  #345
John Holmes*
Spuds MacLean™
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 5,214
vCash: 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by We Want the Cup 2010 View Post
Rebuild... anyone heard of a rebuild???? Management said they were on a 3 year plan, stop whining about not signing over priced UFA's. When the time is right, the Sens will add the right piece(s). This is not the year to go for it. Patience ppl.
That doesn't mean you stop looking for ways to improve your team.

Trades and free agents are always factors.

Look at any team that's won the cup recently.

John Holmes* is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 01:19 PM
  #346
Wondercarrot
Classless
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 5,171
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy77 View Post
Howson wanted Foligno, Lehner, Zib AND Mark Stone.

Doesn't matter if we're on his list or not, that's ridiculous.

He wants Jeff Skinner from Carolina (not on his list either), I am sure Rutherford hung up the phone as well.

Probably the same situation here, Howson keeps wanting more (for a player who won't even come here), it's a waste of time on Murray's part at this point.
yeah, i would have done the first three in a deal probably but no chance id add Stone, Noesen or Silf to that deal. Bobby Bulter? sure. Weircoch? maybe.

Wondercarrot is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 01:28 PM
  #347
bacon25
Registered User
 
bacon25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Group Study Room F
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
whelp, fedotenko is now gone, FA pool is pretty much dried up, have to wait till Trade deadline to see anymore movement. I am curious to see if Nash expands his list to included Ottawa (he will have to expand it), maybe Spezza and Methot should give him a call.

bacon25 is online now  
Old
07-05-2012, 01:43 PM
  #348
benjiv1
Registered User
 
benjiv1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,656
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
whelp, fedotenko is now gone, FA pool is pretty much dried up, have to wait till Trade deadline to see anymore movement. I am curious to see if Nash expands his list to included Ottawa (he will have to expand it), maybe Spezza and Methot should give him a call.
I mentioned it earlier, but I really think we should bring back Marty Havlat.

I KNOW people will argue he's too injury prone, but when he does play he is money.

And even if he gets hurt, we can call up one of Silfverberg, Stone Zibanejad etc gaining them more experience.

benjiv1 is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 01:56 PM
  #349
Qward
Moderator
Because! That's why!
 
Qward's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Behind you, look out
Posts: 13,367
vCash: 265
Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
whelp, fedotenko is now gone, FA pool is pretty much dried up, have to wait till Trade deadline to see anymore movement. I am curious to see if Nash expands his list to included Ottawa (he will have to expand it), maybe Spezza and Methot should give him a call.
Tweet Methot. Ask him to do it

Qward is offline  
Old
07-05-2012, 01:57 PM
  #350
bacon25
Registered User
 
bacon25's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Group Study Room F
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,724
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qward View Post
Tweet Methot. Ask him to do it
Alright I am on it.

How crazy would it be if that actually worked?

bacon25 is online now  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.