HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 12:04 AM
mcnorth

vCash: 500
I think I understand where Melnyk is coming from and why he's saying what he's saying, and I do want the players who play for Ottawa to want to play here, BUT with so many posts about free agents not wanting to come here, warranted or informed or not, I do want players to NOT want to come here because of comments like that. I'd like to just be an option for most guys. It would be lovely to be considered an A destination - but we're going to have to earn that. When Melnyk spouts about family and whatnot, when you're not 'in' it, it might come across as a little goofy for some guys. And I'd rather be vanilla than the team with the goofy owner.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Slow Hands
The feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball8992 View Post
Melnyk needs to learn to shut his mouth. That was actually pretty classless of him to call Nash out like that. Guys already under a ton of scrutiny in Columbus because of his idiot GM, how do you think he feels to be bashed on by an owner. Probably makes any other free agents Ottawa is pitching two second guess if they truly want to be there now too.
You can't blame Melnyk for having this attitude considering what Heatley pulled. Heatley essentially told the entire city, organization, and fanbase to **** off, and also pulled a jackass move by costing Melnyk the $4 million dollar signing bonus. You need to have players who want to be here, especially if you're going to trade away the sort of assets that were rumored to be going the other way.

I'd have a lot more sympathy for Nash if he wasn't being paid well, and the whole situation didn't seem errily similar to the one the Sens went through with Heatley. I for one am happy that our team isn't managed by men who feel the need to coddle and beg pro athletes to play for our organization.

And I sincerely doubt Nash gives a **** about anything Melnyk said.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:54 AM
mcnorth

Suter offered 13 yr/90 million by Wings?

6.9/yr

About what was predicted.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:55 AM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nac Mac Feegle View Post
Love it!

We're a first class organization. If anyone doesn't want to come here, then we don't want them. No sloppy seconds for Ottawa.
Hate to be a Debbie Downer, but that isn't what someone from a first class organization says. Could you imagine Detroit's owners or Lou Lamoriello saying something like that?

Nash was never part of the Sens, nor did he want to come. I don't understand the hate, unless it was directed more at Heatley.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:57 AM
Flamingo

Good for Melnyk. Who knows why Nash didn't want to accept a trade to Ottawa, or if he would have reconsidered after his most preferred destinations didn't pan out. Melnyk has to keep the image of his team compelling, meaning thery're willing to spend when opportunities arise. He's got to sell tickets. A team with an internal cap and concerns about the owner's recent fortunes doesn't sell. He's just avowing his commitment to making Ottawa a hockey Mecca.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:02 AM
Gil Gunderson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnorth View Post
Foligno/Zib/Lehner.

Doubt CLB get a return that good.

**** you Rick Nash.

You broke my heart.
Thank God it got nixed. Not sure why we offered that.

I wouldn't be comfortable with our goaltending situation if Lehner was going the other way. He's a sought after asset for many teams, which kind of worries me with our pro scouting and trading.

Last edited by Gil Gunderson: 07-04-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old
07-04-2012, 01:03 AM
Nabokov20
Karlsson for Chuck

trade some guys for havlat

with alfie

9mm - Spezza - Alfie
G - Turris - Havlat
Regin - Smith - Neil
Greening - JOB - Condra

injury prone or not we'll still have j. silfverberg

Old
07-04-2012, 01:05 AM
playasRus

Who gets #9 if MH comes back?

Old
07-04-2012, 01:37 AM
Icelevel
Best Players Play

It isn't just nash that has turned down an ottawa offer this week. They also made a strong push for cry baby schultz and his reasons were city, fans, media etc. so i'm sure that had something to do with melnyk's emotions too. And those are just the 2 we know about. Who knows who else has been turning down crazy offers from ottawa this week.
I like what he said. I'm not sure the owner should have said that, but maybe someone had to.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:40 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
It isn't just nash that has turned down an ottawa offer this week. They also made a strong push for cry baby schultz and his reasons were city, fans, media etc. so i'm sure that had something to do with melnyk's emotions too. And those are just the 2 we know about. Who knows who else has been turning down crazy offers from ottawa this week.
I like what he said. I'm not sure the owner should have said that, but maybe someone had to.
LOL, Ottawa Senators and the Oilers were the last two teams on his list. If he thought badly about us then he definitely thought the other 28 other teams were much worse. Haha.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:05 AM
bacon25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icelevel View Post
I agree with this, Melnyk's statements were a nice show for Sens fans, but I wouldn't get all ******** about a player not wanting to come to Ottawa. It has been that way for a long time. There really are only a few teams in the NHL that are considered "prime" destinations. In the end Nash and Howson or whoever else is objecting to go to smaller market teams will lose out on a better deal.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:12 AM
bacon25

What would everyone think about Ruslan Fedotenko? He's a pretty good player with a good two way game. And if we are still looking for another D-man Carlo Colaiacovo would be cheaper to get than Matt Carle. Thoughts?

Old
07-04-2012, 09:15 AM
SixthSens
Global Moderator
RIP Kev

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacon25 View Post
What would everyone think about Ruslan Fedotenko? He's a pretty good player with a good two way game. And if we are still looking for another D-man Carlo Colaiacovo would be cheaper to get than Matt Carle. Thoughts?
If we could find a way to flip either of Butler/Condra, Feds would be a nice addition to the bottom six.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:30 AM
operasen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gil Gunderson View Post
Thank God it got nixed. Not sure why we offered that.

I wouldn't be comfortable with our goaltending situation if Lehner was going the other way. He's a sought after asset for many teams, which kind of worries me with our pro scouting and trading.
It was more than that. Zibanejad, Foligno, Lehner and Stone (Citizen today). No way I'd do that.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:35 AM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
It was more than that. Zibanejad, Foligno, Lehner and Stone (Citizen today). No way I'd do that.
No ****ing way I would do that.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:39 AM
Caseus
squirrelly wrath

Quote:
Originally Posted by operasen View Post
No, it was Zibanejad, Foligno and Lehner. CLB wanted Stone and we said no.

"Sources say the club offered winger Nick Foligno, prospect Mika Zibanejad and goaltender Robin Lehner.

Sources also told the Sun the Jackets wanted top prospect Mark Stone as part of the package. The Senators weren’t prepared to do that."

http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/03/...hs-list-expand

Old
07-04-2012, 09:42 AM
2Cowen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caseus View Post
No, it was Zibanejad, Foligno and Lehner. CLB wanted Stone and we said no.

"Sources say the club offered winger Nick Foligno, prospect Mika Zibanejad and goaltender Robin Lehner.

Sources also told the Sun the Jackets wanted top prospect Mark Stone as part of the package. The Senators weren’t prepared to do that."

Howson is such a ****ing moron.

Old
07-04-2012, 09:55 AM
JackBauer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nabokov20 View Post
trade some guys for havlat

with alfie

9mm - Spezza - Alfie
G - Turris - Havlat
Regin - Smith - Neil
Greening - JOB - Condra

injury prone or not we'll still have j. silfverberg
That top 6 is made of glass. We'll get like 120 games total from them

Old
07-04-2012, 10:00 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Looks more and more like Parise and Suter will become a package deal taking their talents to Minnesota!

Old
07-04-2012, 10:02 AM
SaxPlayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Looks like the Sens won't play second fiddle to Nash.. Melnyk basically saying a Big F U to him (without naming him lol)

From that article:

Quote:
The discussions went sideways last weekend because Nash told the Jackets he is steadfast in his refusal to come here. Sources say he’d like to be dealt to the Sharks or Rangers. He may consider Toronto.
If true, that's the first time I've heard a specific reference to Nash refusing to come to Ottawa, rather than just the fact that we weren't on the initial list.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:04 AM
H2O

Quote:
Looks more and more like Parise and Suter will become a package deal taking their talents to Minnesota!
I hope so. Stay west.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:05 AM
Senateurs
No rispek!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Grayson View Post
IMO, the funniest thing in all of this is that Mark Staal got his ass whopped and turtled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
different opinions....but i dont want to wait if for chance one of our prospects become a Bobby Ryan..Hes 25 frigging years old a 4 time 30+ proven goalscorer...WOW some just dont get it...Brunnette? Arnott? Sykora? is this what you want the sens to become??
Guys like Brunette, Arnot and Sykora are not added to play an offensive role, they're added to bring experience and leadership. We were lacking guys like that when we had elite teams in the early 2000's.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:12 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Fine by me.

Keep Parise out of Pittsburgh for the love of god.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:24 AM
SelleckStache

vCash: 733
Quote:
Hasn't this always been the case?

Old
07-04-2012, 10:28 AM
Dionysus

Not a fan of Melnyk coming out with those types of statements. Let Murray do his job.

Closed Thread