HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-08-2012, 07:17 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

vCash: 500
Quote:
No ones jumping at the bit to sign this guy....you gotta wonder what the word around the league is. But yes, that must be wrong, and the supporters of Semin on the internet know better.
But you know what offers that Semin has received and what he is considering. How do you know no one is jumping to sign him? He's had offers from multiple teams, and supposedly huge contract offers from Russia. Of course it's going to take longer when he's getting 10mil a year offered from Russia (if true.) No one in the NHL is going to match that, but he can use it as leverage if nothing else.

All I know is that I trust what Boudreau says about him over some bitter guy that got released from the team and then released from his next team fairly quickly. Semin has only ever played for the Caps which is more than Bradley can say. You can be ignorant about Semin all you want, that's fine, but he's largely been Ovechkin's scapegoat.

Old
07-08-2012, 07:40 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I still say Jason Arnott is our guy. Think he'd be a beauty on a one year deal and probably someone 16 teams will be looking at once the deadline roles around if we're not there. Wouldn't mind seeing him center the third line or playing with Turris to help him out on faceoffs plus his presence on the point of our second unit would be great with Gonchar or Cowen.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:23 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I still say Jason Arnott is our guy. Think he'd be a beauty on a one year deal and probably someone 16 teams will be looking at once the deadline roles around if we're not there. Wouldn't mind seeing him center the third line or playing with Turris to help him out on faceoffs plus his presence on the point of our second unit would be great with Gonchar or Cowen.
As long as we sign SOMEONE ELSE. Be Semin/Arnott/Trade for Ryan etc...

Our top 6 right now is not all that pleasing. We need some more stability.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:51 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReginKarlssonLehner View Post
As long as we sign SOMEONE ELSE. Be Semin/Arnott/Trade for Ryan etc...

Our top 6 right now is not all that pleasing. We need some more stability.
Meh, I'm ok with going into next year with the idea that Zibanejad, Stone, Silverberg and Hoffman will get some chances to show what they can do and we can decide what the future is for guys like Butler, Greening, Condra, Regin and co. The only way this team is going to get better is from within. I want Arnott because he'll be a good mentor for those guys. Our top 6 might not be great but I do believe we'll have a bottom 6 and defense that will gives us decent production.

Old
07-08-2012, 08:54 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

No interest in a veteran 3rd liner.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:02 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
No interest in a veteran 3rd liner.
He scored 34 points (72 games) on a team where the leading scorer managed 54 points in 82. He's got a few miles left in him. Personally, I see us needing a good veteran presence.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:21 PM
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I have even less interest in a veteran third liner playing on our second line.

Old
07-08-2012, 09:56 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

I see no reason as to why we should go out and try to overpay for another top 6 forward. What have we lost from last season in our top 6 that has made our group regress? Nothing (aside from Foligno, I suppose). What have we added? Silfverberg/Regin/Zibanejad/Stone all battling for a spot and Latendresse.

Not competing, gradual improvements that benefit the long term. We're fine where we are.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:06 PM
God Says No

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powdered Toast Man View Post
I have even less interest in a veteran third liner playing on our second line.
agreed. no room for a player like arnott. we have enough veterans, i'd rather give one of the kids a chance.

Old
07-08-2012, 10:56 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Not sure how reliable the source, but rumour is that Pittsburgh offered Semin a long term deal and that he's sleeping on it.

Yep...wouldn't want that Semin guy here, but he's good enough to play on Pittsburgh.

If he ends up there would be willing to bet he wins something long before anyone in Ottawa does.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:01 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
Not sure how reliable the source, but rumour is that Pittsburgh offered Semin a long term deal and that he's sleeping on it.

Yep...wouldn't want that Semin guy here, but he's good enough to play on Pittsburgh.

If he ends up there would be willing to bet he wins something long before anyone in Ottawa does.
Your logic is illogical. What do Pittsburgh's decisions have to do with Semin's skill?

07-08-2012, 11:05 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:

You could say that about anyone that Pittsburgh acquired.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:14 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
I see no reason as to why we should go out and try to overpay for another top 6 forward. What have we lost from last season in our top 6 that has made our group regress? Nothing (aside from Foligno, I suppose). What have we added? Silfverberg/Regin/Zibanejad/Stone all battling for a spot and Latendresse.

Not competing, gradual improvements that benefit the long term. We're fine where we are.
Agreed that we can probably make a pretty good top six of what we have:

Latendresse-Spezza-Michalek
XXX-Turris-Alfredsson
XXX-Regin-Neil
Greening-O'Brien-Condra

XXX = Young player who steps up, so pick two from: Silfverberg, Da Costa, Daugavins, Stone, Zibanejad, Noesen, Petersson, or Hoffman.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:17 PM
Cujomi
Leeuw YNWA Ddraig

Well the reason we should still be hunting for a top 6 forward is because we are below the cap floor IIRC. That's also why Semin would be perfect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyalltheway View Post
Your logic is illogical. What do Pittsburgh's decisions have to do with Semin's skill?
I'm guessing that an organization that is as successful as Pittsburgh has been lately, and with their forward depth, wouldn't sign someone like Semin if they didn't believe in his ability to play well there. If you can't make that logical connection I don't really know how to help you.

That said it's still just a rumour. If I'm Semin and I legitimately got an offer of 10mil a year to play in my home country I'd take that one.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:19 PM
hockeyalltheway
Get well soon, GMBM.

vCash: 611
Quote:
Well the reason we should still be hunting for a top 6 forward is because we are below the cap floor IIRC. That's also why Semin would be perfect.

I'm guessing that an organization that is as successful as Pittsburgh has been lately, and with their forward depth, wouldn't sign someone like Semin if they didn't believe in his ability to play well there. If you can't make that logical connection I don't really know how to help you.

That said it's still just a rumour. If I'm Semin and I legitimately got an offer of 10mil a year to play in my home country I'd take that one.
It says that Pittsburgh values him enough to make him a serious offer. Nothing more, nothing less. It doesn't mean he'd be a good fit on the Sens.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:22 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Pittsburgh = Powerful/dominant team that is going to contend for the Stanley Cup again with an elite Russian center that I'm sure would get along fine with Semin.

Ottawa = Young team that may or may not make the playoffs and is by no means contending for the Stanley Cup.

As you can see, they're basically the same team!

Old
07-08-2012, 11:51 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

I honestly hope we can get Ryan. He is young enough to still be apart of our young core yet good enough to take our team to the next level. I still am in love with a top 6 of:

Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
Latendresse-Turris-Alfredsson
Silfverberg-Regin-Condra
Greening-Smith-Neil
O'Brien

Look at that depth...

Old
07-08-2012, 11:52 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
I honestly hope we can get Ryan. He is young enough to still be apart of our young core yet good enough to take our team to the next level. I still am in love with a top 6 of:

Ryan-Spezza-Michalek
Latendresse-Turris-Alfredsson
Silfverberg-Regin-Greening

Look at that top 9...
So what do we exactly part with to get Ryan?

Old
07-08-2012, 11:54 PM
HavlatMach9

I can't read Semin well at all. If it was about money I would think he would have taken the largest offer or left for Russia. Last year he signed only a one year deal. I wonder what his motives are.

Certainly many team have probably given him at least a short 1 or 2 year deal (so I don't think the annual amount matters). Maybe he's taking the longest offer (is it risky?) or if the offers are similar, then whatever he sees as a best fit. Would love to add him for no longer than a 3 year contract.

Old
07-08-2012, 11:57 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSilfverBullet View Post
So what do we exactly part with to get Ryan?
Zibanejad+1st+Greening?+Weircioch.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:05 AM
Sensation

Quote:
Zibanejad+1st+Greening?+Weircioch.
I don't see us landing Ryan without having to give up Michalek.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:23 AM
IranCondraAffair

Why is everyone dropping Greening down to the 4th line? Why do people hate him so much? He fights, hits, skates fast, plays hard. He's not a fantastic defensive player but the effort is there.

The guy had 37 points in his first NHL season. 50 points in his first 106.

Give the guy a chance.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:31 AM
2Cowen

vCash: 920
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBad View Post
I don't see us landing Ryan without having to give up Michalek.
That would just be a lateral move if Michalek were to be involved

Old
07-09-2012, 12:39 AM
EpicNeilTime

Quote:
Originally Posted by IranCondraAffair View Post
Why is everyone dropping Greening down to the 4th line? Why do people hate him so much? He fights, hits, skates fast, plays hard. He's not a fantastic defensive player but the effort is there.

The guy had 37 points in his first NHL season. 50 points in his first 106.

Give the guy a chance.
Yeah I'm with you on that one. He's only going to get better, and I wouldn't be surprised to see him put up 50+ points when we start to get better. He's not a first line player, but good enough for the second.

Old
07-09-2012, 12:43 AM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Ideally, I want Greening on the third line. I don't think he has the natural scoring edge to be a top 6 forward but he plays a physical, gritty game. Sounds like a solid third liner to me.

Closed Thread