HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-09-2012, 09:54 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saabman0508 View Post
THANK YOU!!! And yes. Duchene went third overall, not second.
I was thinking the same.

Regardless, the draft position is irrelvant. Kyle Turris went third overall and he's not of same value as Duchene. But, I do believe Duchene is and will be an enormous talent in the NHL.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:17 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Sportsnet reporting Semin about to sign 1-year deal with the Penguins.

(I saw it on TV, for anyone asking for a source)

Old
07-09-2012, 10:20 PM
TheOriginalSilf*
@real_saundies

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonkTastic View Post
Sportsnet reporting Semin about to sign 1-year deal with the Penguins.

(I saw it on TV, for anyone asking for a source)
Thank God.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:23 PM
CanadianHockey
On the Alfie Wagon

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by PKC View Post
They aren't directly related. Players increase their value through performance. It's not some kind of natural progression like you seem to think.
I disagree, there is a direct relation between an inflating cap and inflating cap hits.

More money in the offseason for GMs to play with means you get bigger contracts. Furthermore, a higher cap means a higher floor, which means contracts have to inflate to accommodate, otherwise you'd eventually have every team below the league floor.

07-09-2012, 10:28 PM
Spezza19
GO SENS GO!!

Oh right!! He did go third overall, that's my bad. Sometimes it can be easy to forget about Hedman lol!

Old
07-09-2012, 10:36 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJB View Post
And Strome >>>>>> RNH
I used the one that MoO used to guarantee that the Sens were a lottery team last year, or the logic he used for Spezza not being as good as Jeff Skinner.

If we have any prospects in the pipeline right now that become 30+ goal scoring point per game wingers I'll be ecstatic.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:38 PM
SIMMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJam613 View Post
I've already said I don't expect us to. I was just making an argument as to why it would be beneficial for our team and why it makes sense to do so. I'm sure there are reasons that he either wouldn't play here (better offers elsewhere, would rather go to a team that has played better the last few years) or maybe Ottawa isn't interested in him.
Incidently there are valid arguments about why signing him would not be beneficial to the Sens. Evidently BM has his own reasons why he believes signing him is not in the best interests of the Sens.

Old
07-09-2012, 10:44 PM
jordan7hm

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post
I disagree, there is a direct relation between an inflating cap and inflating cap hits.

More money in the offseason for GMs to play with means you get bigger contracts. Furthermore, a higher cap means a higher floor, which means contracts have to inflate to accommodate, otherwise you'd eventually have every team below the league floor.
This pretty well would have been my response to you, PKC.

Cap hits represent one measure of value. When players sign deals you are really looking at two things - a dollar amount, but also an evaluation of their current value. A guy who signs for an 8m$ cap hit is worth about 10% of a team's available resources. If the cap doubles before the end of his contract, and his performance doesn't diminish (and was properly valued), he becomes an undervalued asset because he still provides a performance that equates to 10% of a team's resources while no longer actually commanding those resources.

Given that the NHL is a business, and a reasonably well run one, if player salaries are tied to league revenues, there will pretty well always be cap inflation and this process of players becoming undervalued. Particularly guys who sign long term deals. Part of the reason owners want these long term deals is that they always create long term value assuming performance was properly valued and can continue throughout the deal's lifespan (or reasonable lifespan in the case of deals like Kovalchuk's).

Old
07-09-2012, 10:57 PM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIMMAN View Post
Incidently there are valid arguments about why signing him would not be beneficial to the Sens. Evidently BM has his own reasons why he believes signing him is not in the best interests of the Sens.
I agree and I said as much in the post that you quoted. It's entirely possible that BM and the rest of the Ottawa brass have no intentions of making an offer to Semin. Do I personally think that it would benefit the team? Yes. But there are so many different angles there and different players out there that Ottawa might be looking into that it wouldn't surprise me if it went either way.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:26 PM
PKC*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianHockey View Post

My point is that contracts should be awarded based on value of the player rather than just handing out extra money because you have some to spend.

If I gave you a million dollars all of a sudden, would you go and pay $100,000 for a $50,000 car?

So how is having money and spending it foolishly not two different things?

And the original argument was that the cap going up somehow means that average player values suddenly increase accordingly. Which is false. Players always have and always will be rewarded according to the performance they have produced. People shouldn't be confused by the errors that GMs make every year in overpaying and overvaluing many players. That's what leads to escalating contracts. Not the fact that the cap goes up.

Old
07-09-2012, 11:56 PM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Stastny makes a little bit of sense...but not really considering he's a center.

Old
07-10-2012, 01:47 AM
Benny FTW
Tool Time Travel

vCash: 50
Hasn't Stastny been regressing and is overpaid?

Old
07-10-2012, 05:31 AM
JoeSakic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spezza19 View Post
When Duchene could one day become the captain, face of the franchise and possibly their next Joe Sakic, a kid who went second overall and is just 21 and could play all situatons.....

Na there is definitely no overvaluing there. Usually GM's don't even inquire or kick tires on these types of players because they know the price would be through the roof.
THERE'S ONLY ONE JOE SAKIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old
07-10-2012, 06:23 AM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

What's happening with Filatov?

I haven't payed attention to any of his threads, cos I think he's a useless greedy Russian (cliché or what? )but seriously, is he staying in Russia?

Old
07-10-2012, 06:38 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
What's happening with Filatov?

I haven't payed attention to any of his threads, cos I think he's a useless greedy Russian (cliché or what? )but seriously, is he staying in Russia?
Murray's not giving him a qualifying offer because he signed a 2 year deal with some team in the KHL.

07-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Rumor is that Semin has agreed to a one year deal with Pittsburgh. If so...ugh. That team will be too good.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:39 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedWhiteBlackGold View Post
Murray's not giving him a qualifying offer because he signed a 2 year deal with some team in the KHL.
I was under the impression that Murray qualified his North American rights so he's still our asset much like Radulov was for the Preds.

Old
07-10-2012, 06:50 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
I was under the impression that Murray qualified his North American rights so he's still our asset much like Radulov was for the Preds.
Ahh you are right, Sens did qualify his NA rights.

I guess I didn't get the update on that.

Old
07-10-2012, 07:56 AM
operasen

Quote:
Rumor is that Semin has agreed to a one year deal with Pittsburgh. If so...ugh. That team will be too good.
Heard that as well. Pittsburgh is good spot for him with Malkin to settle him down.

That said; I hope we do not sent 2 of our top prospects, a goalie and a player for Ryan.

Let the rebuild take its course. Something like Greening, Bishop, Stone and Zibanejad would be sad to see and set Anaheim up two years earlier.

In two years time we could have a forward group that, as a team, is very hard to play against, from a pool of

Silfverberg - Spezza - Noesen
Prince - Pageau - Zibanejad
Greening - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - DaCosta - Puempel
Maidens - Smith - Neil
Regin - O'Brien - Condra
and more

Old
07-10-2012, 08:17 AM
wjhl2009fan

Quote:
If they play as a team no question but if Semin and Malkin/Crosby try and do it all on there own the will have issues.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:19 AM
H2O

Semin doesn't have character issues, he just LOVES 1 year contracts.

Old
07-10-2012, 08:31 AM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Hell.. i'd sign him to a 1yr 6.8mil contract.. brings us to the floor and gets a legit 1st liner winger and can be mentored by Gonchar for the year. Then we can re-evaluate see if he fits in and is worth a longer term deal and gives us a chance to see if the rookies really have what it takes to be in the Top 6 (Silfverberg, Stone, Zibby)

Old
07-10-2012, 08:50 AM
Cujomi
Show your fury?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Hell.. i'd sign him to a 1yr 6.8mil contract.. brings us to the floor and gets a legit 1st liner winger and can be mentored by Gonchar for the year. Then we can re-evaluate see if he fits in and is worth a longer term deal and gives us a chance to see if the rookies really have what it takes to be in the Top 6 (Silfverberg, Stone, Zibby)
Hell even a 3 year 6.8 mil contract wouldn't really hurt us in any way. We have so much cap room, Gonchar would be coming off, Alfie will be gone, and the rookies will still be on ELCs by the end minus Cowen and Silfverberg.

Either way if he goes to the Pens I would imagine they're going to switch the lines up to have Neal with Crosby and Semin with Malkin...two completely ridiculous lines and a PP of Crosby, Neal, Letang, Malkin and Semin.

Old
07-10-2012, 09:06 AM
RedWhiteBlackGold

Quote:
Hell even a 3 year 6.8 mil contract wouldn't really hurt us in any way. We have so much cap room, Gonchar would be coming off, Alfie will be gone, and the rookies will still be on ELCs by the end minus Cowen and Silfverberg.

Either way if he goes to the Pens I would imagine they're going to switch the lines up to have Neal with Crosby and Semin with Malkin...two completely ridiculous lines and a PP of Crosby, Neal, Letang, Malkin and Semin.
I figured they were going to bounce back this year and be dominant again with a healthy Crosby, but adding Semin to their wing will make them even more scarier.

On the plus side, McGuire isn't on TSN anymore so adding Semin to Crosby or Malkin's wing won't be so cringe worthy for us watching the games up north.

Old
07-10-2012, 10:49 AM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
I used the one that MoO used to guarantee that the Sens were a lottery team last year, or the logic he used for Spezza not being as good as Jeff Skinner.

If we have any prospects in the pipeline right now that become 30+ goal scoring point per game wingers I'll be ecstatic.
That can't be the best you got, can it?

Closed Thread