HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Free Agency & General Offseason Discussion Thread: Part II

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 12:13 PM
QuattroFTW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
If no Nash, then Perry/Getzlaf in 2013. Book it mutha****az!
That's what i'm hoping for. Murray's Anaheim connection, the fact that they're Canadian and the fact that he drafted both of them could be a huuuge plus for us.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:14 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

Well I'm happy for the Minnesota fans. They definitely deserve to have a good team. I still hope they fall flat on their faces though cause I just wouldn't be able to stand watching Heatley win anything. Here's hoping that those two huge contracts force the Wild to trade Heatley in the near future to a perennial loser.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:17 PM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Holmes View Post
I have a hard time believing that we wouldn't take Nash if he amended his list to include Ottawa.
This

My thinking is maybe the foligno/Methot deal is more then we think..
If Nash expands his list and Ottawa is on it we have first crack...

Melynk Did not Mention Nash by name..It was a general statement regarding all players...

Old
07-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Marty Straka
Don't Stop Believin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patvolcom65 View Post
I wish Murray would sign Huselius but it won't happen
He's not even medically cleared to play yet... why sign a guy who's played even less the Latendresse.. Yea I like him when he's healthy but we dont even know when/if he'll even play next season.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Gil Gunderson

vCash: 1967
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarknerCountry View Post
This

Melynk Did not Mention Nash by name..It was a general statement regarding all players...
Well Foligno was part of the return for Nash. Now it will probably end up being Zibanejad + Lehner + Stone + maybe something else.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:24 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
This

Well Foligno was down as part of the Nash trade (along with Mika and Lehner). They'd probably want Stone instead I would think now.

I don't believe we have the assets we would be prepared to move to get a deal done.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:25 PM
aragorn
YES WE CAN

Quote:
Rick Nash will be a Sen...
I'm not so sure any more given what Melnyk had to say about Nash. Maybe it's for the best long term stability of this franchise to build from within rather than trade for big name premadonnas. If half of Ottawa's prospects (hopefully the best ones) turn out to be very good NHL players Ottawa could have a good team for 5 to 10 yrs again. It doesn't mean they win the cup every yr but it could mean consecutive playoff appearances that keep the Sens viable in this market which ultimately is most important to fans to have a team here for the forseable future.

If these players that they have brought in Methot & Latendresse can be successful they could be with the team for a few yrs. Murray is also in the inviable position to wait to see what becomes available over the next yr & try & make deals to move non-critical peices for young players who can make the team better immediately & compete harder. If he can continue to add a peice or two each yr while at the same time some of his best prospects are maturing & becoming NHL ready the Sens should be able to improve as a whole & continue to build step by step. If Murray is also able to acquire an available top 3/6 forward that would force another top 6 forward down a line that's not a bad thing but healthy competition is good for an organization.

Silfverberg - Spezza - Michalek
Latendresse - Turris - Alfredsson
Greening - Regin - Condra/Butler
Z. Smith - JOB - Neil / Hoffman could be up & down all yr between Ottawa & Bingo

We will see how that 3rd line produces next yr & if it does not get off to a good start, Murray has the option to bring up Zibanejad & Stone, two of our best prospects to hopefully give that line a kick start. My guess is that they will eventually inherit those spots by the end of February or next season anyway.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Phillips - Lundin/Boroweicki

My guess is that Ceci is almost NHL ready now & should be able to step in next season to replace Gonchar. Maybe not his minutes or spot on the roster but make the team out of camp next yr. By then my hope is that Murray has also secured another young top 4 defenceman to replace Lundin eventually or give Gryba his shot. Boroweicki will eventually replace Phillips in a yr or so & Phillips may come back as a 7th or maybe just retire, we'll see. Let's not forget that Ottawa will again most likely pursue NCAA defenceman Andrej Sustr, the 6'8" right shooting D-man to maybe step into the lineup in a yr or two. Karlsson, Ceci & Sustr on the right side & Cowen, Methot & Boroweicki on the left side, with Wiercioch & Gryba waiting in the wings, not bad. All in all the future looks rather bright for this franchise if all the pieces fall into place & if these prospects live up to the expectations fans have placed on them.

http://www.the6thsens.com/2012-artic...str838181.html

Anderson - Bishop

Lehner knows he is close to playing in the NHL, either for this organization or another. Bishop knows Lehner is right on his ass & will have to play great to keep Lehner in the AHL. This should create tremendous competition between the two & my guess is that either could be traded if the right deal comes along to upgrade the Sens elsewhere & they both know it now since both were mentioned as part of that Nash deal.

Last edited by aragorn: 07-04-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

"Hey Bryan, I know you didn't like that I didn't change my list at least initially but the problem was in regards to my wife. She would have to carve herself a new life here in Ottawa because we don't have family or friends in the area but I explained to her why it wouldn't work in Columbus and how the other teams don't want me nearly as much as Ottawa. She agreed to at least visit the area so I'm letting you know that I intend to change my list."

All he has to say... But I don't want him anyways so...

Old
07-04-2012, 12:27 PM
JonnyMacSen
Divide and Conacher

Quote:
Originally Posted by armani View Post
If no Nash, then Perry/Getzlaf in 2013. Book it mutha****az!
THIS, and don't forget Backstrom, while alot will be resigned before then I think next year is the year to deal, our prospects will be more developed and with a top player addition we could be set to cause some damage in 2014.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:28 PM
R2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuattroFTW View Post
That's a hard bunch to compare. Parise has a work ethic and on-ice hustle that is next level and better than what i've seen from Spezza, and Nash has been putting up points as a one man show in Columbus.
Maybe he does have a good compete level and is a hustler but he doesn't produce like Spezza. Spezza is like Grigorenko - even when he's going 75% he's better than 95% of the other team.

Nash also hasn't been putting up points as a one-man show. In fact last year he barely got more points than vinny freakin prospal. You put Spezza on Columbus and he has more points than Nash - book it.

Spezza scores as many points as Nash did this year back when he only played 60 games and had Bobby Butler and Greening on his wing.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercurial View Post
Well Foligno was down as part of the Nash trade (along with Mika and Lehner). They'd probably want Stone instead I would think now.

I don't believe we have the assets we would be prepared to move to get a deal done.
The deal was likely:

Foligno
mika
lehner

for

Nash
Methot

Old
07-04-2012, 12:31 PM
Tuna99

If Nash has not been traded by now maybe Howson is in Heatley territory and the return will be awefull - if Nash is forcing a trade to San Jose then Wilson will have to be investigated for conspiracy for screwing other teams.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:31 PM
BonkTastic
+/- =Worst Stat EVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
He's not even medically cleared to play yet... why sign a guy who's played even less the Latendresse.. Yea I like him when he's healthy but we dont even know when/if he'll even play next season.
I think Huselius might actually be better off waiting until fully healthy, and then creating a bit of a market for himself in November by being the only impact Free Agent available to teams who aren't happy with the way their season is going.

Wait to get healthy, create a bit of a bidding war during the season, cash in.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:32 PM
Pilgore88

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
The deal was likely:

Foligno
mika
lehner

for

Nash
Methot
The offer for Nash was Foligno, Mika, Lehner. Columbus wanted Stone as well and we said no. (Per the Citizen)

Old
07-04-2012, 12:34 PM
Qward
Because! That's why!

I wonder if Heatley will be traded to Detroit.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
CarknerCountry

Quote:
Originally Posted by aragorn View Post
I'm not so sure any more given what Melnyk had to say about Nash. Maybe it's for the best long term stability of this franchise to build from within rather than trade for big name premadonnas. If half of Ottawa's prospects (hopefully the best ones) turn out to be very good NHL players Ottawa could have a good team for 5 to 10 yrs again. It doesn't mean they win the cup every yr but it could mean consecutive playoff appearances that keep the Sens viable in this market which ultimately is most important to fans to have a team here for the forseable future.

If these players that they have brought in Methot & Latendresse can be succssful they could be with the team for a few yrs. Murray is also in the inviable position to wait to see what becomes available over the next yr & try & make deals to move non-critical peices for young players who can make the team better immediately & compete harder. If he can continue to add a peice or two each yr while at the same time some of his best prospects are maturing & becoming NHL ready the Sens should be able to improve as a whole & continue to build step by step. If Murray is also able to acquire an available top 3/6 forward that would force another top 6 forward down a line that's not a bad thing but healthy competition is good for an organization.

Silfverberg - Spezza - Michalek
Latendresse - Turris - Alfredsson
Greening - Regin - Condra/Butler
Z. Smith - JOB - Neil / Hoffman could be up & down all yr between Ottawa & Bingo

We will see how that 3rd line produces next yr & if it does not get off to a good start, Murray has the option to bring up Zibanejad & Stone, two of our best prospects to hopefully give that line a kick start. My guess is that they will eventually inherit those spots by the end of February or next season anyway.

Methot - Karlsson
Cowen - Gonchar
Phillips - Lundin/Boroweicki

My guess is that Ceci is almost NHL ready now & should be able to step in next season to replace Gonchar. Maybe not his minutes or spot on the roster but make the team out of camp next yr. By then my hope is that Murray has also secured another young top 4 defenceman to replace Lundin eventually or give Gryba his shot. Boroweicki will eventually replace Phillips in a yr or so & Phillips may come back as a 7th or maybe just retire, we'll see. All in all the future looks rather bright for this franchise if all the peices fall into place & if these prospects live up to the expectations fans have placed on them.

Anderson - Bishop

Lehner knows he is close to playing in the NHL, either for this organization or another. Bishop knows Lehner is right on his ass & will have to play great to keep Lehner in the AHL. This should create tremendous competition between the two & my guess is that either could be traded if the right deal comes along to upgrade the Sens elsewhere & they both know it now.
No doubt we have great prospects..Its why we can sacrafice a few for a proven player like Ryan or Nash...

The line-up you have has loads of ? marks

Can silf be a top 6 player?
Injury out of shape Latendresse what will we be getting?
Regin same
Phillips,Gonchar,Alfie all a year older
Is Methot really a top 4

With Ryan or Nash we get
1. Alfies replacement
2. 30+ goal scorer
3. Size

Old
07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Pietraneglo222
WwWwW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officer Farva View Post
The offer for Nash was Foligno, Mika, Lehner. Columbus wanted Stone as well and we said no. (Per the Citizen)
I read that article, I'm saying the nash deal included methot all along. Murray has said that the Methot trade came out of the talks with cbj.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:36 PM
starling

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by fireball8992 View Post
Ottawa is just not that attractive of a market for most free agents. Last few guys they've signed have been old and overpaid (Gonchar, Kovalev), or want to be closer to Montreal (again Kovalev, Latendresse). The rest have been lower tiered guys who saw their best chance to get playing time on the team.
Yeah, I heard no one wants to sign in Minny and Edmonton too

Old
07-04-2012, 12:38 PM
Mercurial
#lalala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immanuel View Post
The deal was likely:

Foligno
mika
lehner

for

Nash
Methot
Think we may have had to pay more than that.

Quote:
The Columbus Post-Dispatch reported nobody had gone further in trade discussions with the Jackets than the Senators. Sources say the club offered winger Nick Foligno, prospect Mika Zibanejad and goaltender Robin Lehner.

Sources also told the Sun the Jackets wanted top prospect Mark Stone as part of the package. The Senators weren’t prepared to do that.
http://www.ottawasun.com/2012/07/03/...hs-list-expand

Also interesting in that article, re Heatley to the Oilers

Quote:
the Senators had been told by one of Heatley’s former agents (Stacey McAlpine) that Edmonton was on his list. Then, Murray was informed after the deal was made Heatley had to be given more options.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:43 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty Straka View Post
Looks more and more like Parise and Suter will become a package deal taking their talents to Minnesota!
I get the sense that we've been asked for Mark Stone in A LOT of trade talks.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Let's Win It All

If it means us waiting and possibly getting Perry in a year, I am DEFINITELY willing to wait. Perry is a top 10 player in the league.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Beville
#ForTheBoys

Full credit to Minny for getting both of them...

How the hell did they really manage that though!

Old
07-04-2012, 12:47 PM
KarlssonMarx
Be Red

This Columbus fan brings up a very good point regarding our failed attempt at getting Nash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev22 View Post
Ottawa fans should be glad they found out before any type of deal could be finished. You can move on quickly. Though the situations are completely different, Columbus found out the hard way with Carter and the organization has sunk further into the abyss. Carter's lips were saying one thing and his body language and "take the weekend to think" and special trip by the organization were screaming red flags that he didn't want to be here..

Old
QuattroFTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beville View Post
Full credit to Minny for getting both of them...

How the hell did they really manage that though!
Both local boys (Suter sorta, but Wisconsin is close), both played for team USA. Damn I wish we had that package deal.

Old
Powdered Toast Man
Is he a ham?

I am curious as to what Minnesota actually did, aside from give Parise and Suter the money they wanted.

Closed Thread