HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Summer Roster Moves VI: Return of the Peg-i

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 11:52 PM
vcv
Deal with it

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to vcv
Summer Roster Moves VI: Return of the Peg-i

Previously mentioned picture of Terry practicing some trades.

Old
07-05-2012, 11:59 PM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
This would prolly never happen but I would love to see it happen:

To Colorado:
Vanek
Hodgson
Lieno (Cap Reasons)

To Buffalo:
Stastny
Downie
Take Leino out and you could land Bobby Ryan for that package.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:23 AM
Revelate

1. That trade is really bad from a Buffalo standpoint.

2. On Semin, I don't buy the he's lazy thing at all. He's a hell of a defender. However, i'd be lying if I wouldn't be more comfortable signing him if we had more veteran leadership.

Old
07-06-2012, 01:37 AM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imlach a cup View Post
Take Leino out and you could land Bobby Ryan for that package.
Vanek and Hodgson for Ryan?

The point is to add Ryan to guys like Vanek & Hodgson....for those 2 I want Getzlaf (signed to extension) + Fowler.Ryan isn't worth anything near a package of Vanek and Hodgson.

Old
07-06-2012, 02:36 AM
dma0034

vCash: 600
Over 1000!!!!!!!

Old
07-06-2012, 02:41 AM
dma0034

vCash: 600
oh and Vanek is worth more than Ryan btw.

If the Sabres just traded Roy away for Ott and a salary dump why does anyone think the Sabres would trade away their best offensive player for a guy who puts up similar stats to Roy (Stastny) for more money?

For Stastny: Adam + Brennan + 2nd.... I wouldn't offer more than that.

Old
07-06-2012, 03:56 AM
Sabres Fan UK
eh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
Vanek and Hodgson for Ryan?

The point is to add Ryan to guys like Vanek & Hodgson....for those 2 I want Getzlaf (signed to extension) + Fowler.Ryan isn't worth anything near a package of Vanek and Hodgson.
Agreed; that is overpayment but you have to give to get. Certainly not Vanek and CoHo for Ryan but i would do something like Vanek+Adam for Ryan.

Old
07-06-2012, 06:02 AM
Digable5

I don't think they have a chance at enticing him to come to Buffalo but I wouldn't be surprised if the Sabres were waiting for Doan. Maybe if we give him a one year deal so he can go back to Phoenix after next season he'd bite. Then we also have room for Armia, Girgensons and the like for 13-14.

Vanek-Hodgson/Grigorenko-Doan
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Ott-???/Hodgson-Pominville

Old
07-06-2012, 06:55 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Moving right along...

07-06-2012, 07:48 AM
Imlach a cup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres Fan UK View Post
Agreed; that is overpayment but you have to give to get. Certainly not Vanek and CoHo for Ryan but i would do something like Vanek+Adam for Ryan.
I wouldn't do it either I was pointing out that the trade mentioned was such a massive overpayment that it would still be an overpayment if we were targeting a better player. The original deal is possibly the worst thing I've seen... and I enjoy reading the Luongo trade threads.

Old
07-06-2012, 09:07 AM
JPurp26

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by dma0034 View Post
oh and Vanek is worth more than Ryan btw.

If the Sabres just traded Roy away for Ott and a salary dump why does anyone think the Sabres would trade away their best offensive player for a guy who puts up similar stats to Roy (Stastny) for more money?

For Stastny: Adam + Brennan + 2nd.... I wouldn't offer more than that.
BTW your wrong.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:05 AM
dkollidas

I thing that while Darcy is looking for a centerman, he won't mortgage the future looking for one. He's even said he's thinking long-term, and that involves developing the young guys, letting them take their lumps and becoming a new core. I think something could be done to bring in a guy like Cullen (maybe Leopold and Adam to Min. For Cullen+). he would give us experience down the middle, Has one year remaining on his contract, and if he likes it here could re-sign to play wing as Grigorenko is brought in, Girgensons and Armia develop in Rochester. But even if they don't, I won't be disappointed, go into the season with Hodgson/Ennis as your top 2, try Grigorenko out for the 1st 9 games with Ott taking his faceoffs and Leino providing good puck possession. I think with the Gary Roberts training regimine we'll see a good year out of Hodgson, and I think Ennis will have a strong year of he stays healthy. If Grigorenko gets sent back down, see if Adam can handle that role or shift Ott to center the 3rd line and have Leino take his defensive responsibilities.
It's going to take time to develop this team into a contender, and I'd rather do it the right way, take our lumps for a year or two and contend for the cup for 10 years, rather than mortgage future pieces on a guy like Nash or Stastny or Marleau.
Ryan is the only one I'd consider moving young pieces for, but that would likely require one of Hodgson/Ennis, and I'm just not keen on doing that.
We have 4 potential top-6 centers in Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko, and Girgensons. Let them develop, one may bust or get serious injuries. Ou never know. And hey, our center depth in two years could be Grigorenko, Hodgson, Ennis, and Girgensons. With Vanek, Leino, Foligno and Gerbe on the left side, and Pominville, Stafford, Armia and Kaleta/Tropp on the right side. That could be 4 lines that could each play ateast 15 minutes/game. That's a pretty solid, deep group. Add to that a good, but (slightly IMO) overpaid netminder, and a deep defense, and you have the right mix to contend for a cup.

Make a deal for a vet like Cullen if it can be made, but don't overpay mortgage the future for a guy who won't be around when we're ready to really contend.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:07 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
How does Sekera for Malone strike everyone? Hrrrrmmm?

Edit: After looking at Malone's contract structure plus Tampa's current D....that deal really doesn't make sense for TB

Malone for something though...just not sure what

Old
07-06-2012, 10:09 AM
dkollidas

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirgsAndGrigs View Post
Don't want to trade Sekera. For me he's part of the future. By the time our core is ready to contend a guy like Malone will be too beat up to play in the top-6 or sign elsewhere.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:10 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Quote:
Originally Posted by vcv View Post

Previously mentioned picture of Terry practicing some trades.
Prediction: Terry doesn't like the Sabres ratings. Buys EA.

Old
07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:

Edit: After looking at Malone's contract structure plus Tampa's current D....that deal really doesn't make sense for TB

Malone for something though...just not sure what
I wouldn't give Sekera for Malone. Leopold+, sure. Malone's 32 and overpaid, imo. If Sekera were the asking price, I'd gladly just keep Rej.

Old
07-06-2012, 11:14 AM
Der Jaeger

I'm ok with Vanek for Stastny. Stastny protects Hodgson and Ennis. Good for their development in the long run.

This team is in transition. Either Stastny and Vanek could be gone in two years. If I'm losing either in two years anyway, give me Stastny.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:02 PM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post
I'm ok with Vanek for Stastny. Stastny protects Hodgson and Ennis. Good for their development in the long run.

This team is in transition. Either Stastny and Vanek could be gone in two years. If I'm losing either in two years anyway, give me Stastny.
But Vanek gives them an actual quality winger to play with. Also good for development. imo, better than having a 2" taller, higher paid version of Roy on the roster.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:05 PM
Digable5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Der Jaeger View Post

Protects them from what exactly? With Stastny we have 3 centers and and only two wingers in Pominville and Stafford to score. I think their development would be better playing with some amazing talent rather than miss out on opportunities because they are being given to a 26 yo.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:08 PM
tmack224

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
But Vanek gives them an actual quality winger to play with. Also good for development. imo, better than having a 2" taller, higher paid version of Roy on the roster.
Lol dude please stop calling Stastny, Roy 2.0... You have no clue what your talking about if you really think he is just Roy with an extra 2 inches... Stastny bring so much more to the game then Roy ever did...

Old
S319R11S16
Expect Suffering

Quote:
Prediction: Terry doesn't like the Sabres ratings. Buys EA.
LOL

Old
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
I agree. While it's easy to see the benefit to Hodgson and Ennis to have another center carrying the load, with how Ruff rolls lines, the kind of center I believe they're looking to add should be adequate for the season. Losing Vanek would be a massive blow to this team's ability to score goals as well as a blow to overall quality winger depth for these young guys to play with. I want Vanek on the team when Grigorenko makes it to the NHL, whether it is this year or next year.

I also think the odds of resigning Vanek are decent.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:10 PM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmack224 View Post
Lol dude please stop calling Stastny, Roy 2.0... You have no clue what your talking about if you really think he is just Roy with an extra 2 inches... Stastny bring so much more to the game then Roy ever did...
That's an exaggeration. I mean, fine if you think Stastny is the better player, that's your opinion. But you're undoubtedly overstating the difference between the two. Stastny is not very good at 5-on-5, and with the continued decrease of penalties/game, that's a problem for a guy who's making $6.6m per.

Old
07-06-2012, 12:12 PM
gallagt01

Anyone willing to take a stab at what Brian Boyle would cost to acquire from the Rangers?

Boyle under Tortorella is akin to Hanzal under Tippett, I think (and not just because they're both massive centers).

Old
07-06-2012, 12:14 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
That's an exaggeration. I mean, fine if you think Stastny is the better player, that's your opinion. But you're undoubtedly overstating the difference between the two. Stastny is not very good at 5-on-5, and with the continued decrease of penalties/game, that's a problem for a guy who's making $6.6m per.
needs more context

Closed Thread