HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

So who's lying?

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 10:08 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
paranoid much? couldnt be that many feel he is a product of Tavares or the fact he wanted a long term contract for limited success. Couldnt be that. Everyone just hates francophones. Only plausible explanation.
Go read other boards and you'll understand. Parenteau was one of the most highly touted UFA this year. I challenge you to find the kind of comments that I quoted by any other fanbase here on HFBoards. But I don't think you'll find. Only here. I don't know why it's a surprise. I've been on this board since many years and this is a trend I keep speaking against, but that never dies.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:10 PM
HCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
So much hate for a guy who just posted 67 points. Only on the Habs board, can we read such non-sense. Because here, hate toward francophones is very common and accepted.
Just because someone doesn't care if Parenteau got an offer doesn't mean they hate Francophones. You have a serious persecution complex.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:15 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
well parenteau is not HERE now and probably never will be so this thread is useless and im wondering why its being allowed to escalate into the language issue

begrevin probably just didnt care about him, and maybe told the media what they wanted to hear to get off his back

who CARES

Old
07-03-2012, 10:16 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
Just because someone doesn't care if Parenteau got an offer doesn't mean they hate Francophones. You have a serious persecution complex.
Usually, when I don't care about something, I don't feel the need to come on a forum and insist on the fact that "I don't give a *** about his suckiness". I just avoid the topic. And I think many here should just do the same. Sadly, some people just jump on every opportunity they have to hate on certain ethnic or linguistic groups. Nothing new. We would see the same if he was russian, but not if he was a good ol' boy from Saskatoon.

Last edited by DDs not undersized: 07-03-2012 at 10:22 PM.
Old
07-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Habskrieg

Big deal who lied... He ended up somewhere else. Maybe it was miscommunication somewhere between agent and client or MB and agent.

Too bad though, I think he could have fit here. Oh well.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Kirk Muller

Quote:
Go read other boards and you'll understand. Parenteau was one of the most highly touted UFA this year. I challenge you to find the kind of comments that I quoted by any other fanbase here on HFBoards. But I don't think you'll find. Only here. I don't know why it's a surprise. I've been on this board since many years and this is a trend I keep speaking against, but that never dies.
lets see, i read one page of his signing. I see the words

"bad cap hit"
"laughably bad signing"
"laughs keep coming"
"lol, overpayment"
"Colorado needs to reach the cap floor some how might as well overpay on a FA"
"What hell is this.PP is so over rated."
"Next Ville Leino"

Thats other fan bases. Or are you just lumping the whole HFboards community as one. If thats the case, you are just as ignorant as anyone who doesnt want a player simply because of where they are from.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:
Usually, when I don't care about something, I don't feel the need to come on a forum and insist on the fact that "I don't give a *** about his suckiness". I just avoid the topic. And I think many here should just do the same. Sadly, some people just jump on every opportunity they have to hate on certain ethnic or linguistic groups. Nothing new.
We just had a disgrace of a season, I'm not gonna cry over a player that I think doesn't fit in our situation just because he happens to be a francophone. I don't see how that is discrimination towards an ethnic group or linguistic group. You're just as bad as the people who discriminate a player just because he's franco, and quite honestly there's not too many of them in here, besides the ones that exist for paranoids like you.

GTFO esti d'ignorant

Old
07-03-2012, 10:24 PM
nhlfan9191

Paranteau is a flash in the pan.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:25 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirk Muller View Post
lets see, i read one page of his signing. I see the words

"bad cap hit"
"laughably bad signing"
"laughs keep coming"
"lol, overpayment"
"Colorado needs to reach the cap floor some how might as well overpay on a FA"
"What hell is this.PP is so over rated."
"Next Ville Leino"

Thats other fan bases. Or are you just lumping the whole HFboards community as one. If thats the case, you are just as ignorant as anyone who doesnt want a player simply because of where they are from.
There's a diffence between saying it's an overpayment (which is a very legit debate) and saying he just "s**ks" and "I don't ***ing care about him".

Also, on the main board, look at who's making the comments. The worst ones are often by Montreal fans.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:25 PM
JohnnyB11

Quote:
Usually, when I don't care about something, I don't feel the need to come on a forum and insist on the fact that "I don't give a *** about his suckiness". I just avoid the topic. And I think many here should just do the same. Sadly, some people just jump on every opportunity they have to hate on certain ethnic or linguistic groups. Nothing new. We would see the same if he was russian, but not if he was a good ol' boy from Saskatoon.
So, ONE person comments with the term 'suckiness' in it, and suddenly hate towards francophones is common and accepted??? Are you for real?? Seriously???

Some people will grasp at any staws possible to instigate. Close this thread now, don't allow it to be a forum for this kind of garbage.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Ginu

Quote:
So much hate for a guy who just posted 67 points. Only on the Habs board, can we read such non-sense. Because here, hate toward francophones is very common and accepted.
Give it a rest. This franchise has been sucking up to francophones for years.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
CTHabsfan

Quote:
I've also noted a hatred of Americans on this board. How else can you explain all of the nasty stuff written about Scott Gomez? I would go into further detail, but I have to get a tissue to dry my tears.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:32 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
And this guy has to bring the french debate again. Just grow up man, there are many reasons to not like a player.

Quote:
You seem to be the guy that jumps on every occasion to whine that we hate french players. Stop being so defensive man.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosso Scuderia View Post
And this guy has to bring the french debate again. Just grow up man, there are many reasons to not like a player.

You seem to be the guy that jumps on every occasion to whine that we hate french players. Stop being so defensive man.
There are many reasons to not like a player. 100% agree. Now it's the 40th post on this thread and I still haven't read a single "reason". It's only hate. I can reply to arguments with other arguments. But the only way to reply to hate is to speak against it.

Also, yes, I can't stand the unjustified hate toward francophone players that we read so often here on the Habs board and not elsewhere. And yes I will continue to speak against it.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
This has nothing to do with a player being French or English. He was a good player that fans on practically every board wanted. Once the signing with Colorado was made official, the only thing that was overly negative (besides a few people wanting to cause trouble by saying he sucks - also not "just because he's French") was that he is overpaid - which is true.

Whether he is from Saskatoon, Russia, or Quebec City, if a guy that scores 18 goals in his last season before hitting free agency suddenly signs a 4 year/$16 million dollar contract, many people will scratch their heads at that. Not because he is French, but because his highest goal total has come from the QMJHL (51 goals), followed by his second goal total coming from the AHL (34 goals). He has scored a total of 41 goals in 188 games.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:38 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'd rather have Semin or even AKost.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:44 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCH View Post
This is the right answer.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion View Post
This has nothing to do with a player being French or English. He was a good player that fans on practically every board wanted. Once the signing with Colorado was made official, the only thing that was overly negative (besides a few people wanting to cause trouble by saying he sucks - also not "just because he's French") was that he is overpaid - which is true.

Whether he is from Saskatoon, Russia, or Quebec City, if a guy that scores 18 goals in his last season before hitting free agency suddenly signs a 4 year/$16 million dollar contract, many people will scratch their heads at that. Not because he is French, but because his highest goal total has come from the QMJHL (51 goals), followed by his second goal total coming from the AHL (34 goals). He has scored a total of 41 goals in 188 games.
Thank you for being the first poster to bring any argument on this thread. (can you believe it took 41 posts?) But consider this :

- He's coming off a 67 points season
- His points total has been growing every year
- Can play tough : 99 hits (3rd among Islanders forwards)
- He's still young (under 30 years old)
- He's a UFA (not a RFA) so will obviously get overpaid like any other UFA
- He was one of the very few offensive forward available this year
- The salary cap is raising, so that means more expensive contracts this year
- Also, this argument :
Quote:
Parenteau was played on the second line from December 29, 2011 through February 4, 2012, for a total of 17 games. The move was made after a bad three game losing streak that came just as the Isles seemed to be turning things around. During that period, he was lined up mainly with Nielsen and Grabner and, for a couple of games, with Brian Rolston. How did he do? He scored a total of 11 even strength points: 2 goals and 9 assists, which matches his per game even strength productiveness over the course of the season.
I fail to see how this is a surprise that he got 4 millions per year. My prediction was more around 4,5 or 5 millions.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:47 PM
Rosso Scuderia

Quote:
There are many reasons to not like a player. 100% agree. Now it's the 40th post on this thread and I still haven't read a single "reason". It's only hate. I can reply to arguments with other arguments. But the only way to reply to hate is to speak against it.

Also, yes, I can't stand the unjustified hate toward francophone players that we read so often here on the Habs board and not elsewhere. And yes I will continue to speak against it.
It's not hate. You think its hate because you are obsesses with it. Some just don't care about PP because they don't feel he would be the solution for our top 6 depite his 60 something pts season. I feel the same way. IMO, he's a product of Tavares. I might be wrong but I'm still happy we didn't spend 4M$ on that guy.

Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Quote:

The whole thing was discussed in the free agent thread, this thread is about the issue of Bergevin callling or not calling Parenteau's agent and Parenteau saying that there was no contact.

You're the only one who wants to discuss about Parenteau as a possible fix to our club when he was discussed for dozens of pages in another thread. Speak against the hatred of francophone hockey players in this board all you want, but don't come up raising calumnies on posters just because they don't like the player you like.

Grow up.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:00 PM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Thank you for being the first poster to bring any argument on this thread. But consider this :

- He's coming off a 67 points season
- His points total has been growing every year
- Can play tough : 99 hits (3rd among Islanders forwards)
- He's still young (under 30 years old)
- He's a UFA (not a RFA) so will obviously get overpaid like any other UFA
- He was one of the very few offensive forward available this year
- The salary cap is raising, so that means more expensive contracts this year
- Also, this argument :

I fail to see how this is a surprise that he got 4 millions per year. My prediction was more around 4,5 or 5 millions.
Well yeah, $4 million to me was not really much of a surprise, as UFAs get overpaid regardless of how deep or bone-dry the talent level is per year. But in the end, overpaid is overpaid.

Your points are well thought out, however one season removed from putting up 67 points while playing - for the most part - with John Tavares still does not justify that big of a contract. We'll see how he plays with a new team and new linemates this upcoming season. I won't throw the book at him and say he sucks, but I'm not going to try to justify that contract until one year has passed. It's quite possible he does turn into another Ville Leino.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Ghetto Sangria
The implication

Quote:
It's not hate. You think its hate because you are obsesses with it. Some just don't care about PP because they don't feel he would be the solution for our top 6 depite his 60 something pts season. I feel the same way. IMO, he's a product of Tavares. I might be wrong but I'm still happy we didn't spend 4M$ on that guy.
People thought cole to be a product of staal... I hate hearing that argument

Old
07-03-2012, 11:06 PM
Freaky Habs Fan

Nobody lied. Bergevin called the agent, thought the money, the term, or both was not appropriate for a guy like Parenteau and the direction is taking, and never made an offer.

Now, it's possible Bergevin was interested for the right price, but PA's agent never told it his client because the money was much lower.

I can see why Bergevin never wanted to commit to Parenteau who despite his good season, is still a risk...

Old
07-03-2012, 11:21 PM
VL55

Quote:
No, he's got a point.

I don't expect PA will live up to his 4M/4yr and if that's what it would have taken to draw him here than I am relived we passed. Would have been glad to have him for a more reasonable price tag, though. Still, I don't have to express it this way:

Quote:
Who the F cares?? Parenteau can live his life of suckiness in Colorado...
PA is not universally liked on HFboards but you'll get that kind of crap comment on our board far more than on the general board.

It is what it is.

In Montreal you have a segment of the market who is strongly biased in favour of french speaking players. But every action has an equivalent reaction and so it's in Montreal you will get the most virulent and irrational reactions against french players. It comes from people who are aggravated by the irrationality of the pro-french crowd but are as a result completely oblivious to the irrationality of their own reactions. Ironic, really.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:23 PM
Whitesnake
Steel your Habs away

vCash: 725
Let just say that there's NO WAY that a new GM like Bergevin would invent that he contacted Parenteau's agent. No way. So more likely is that his agent didn't tell Parenteau that the Habs contacted him based on the fact that no offer was made. Nothing to panic about on each side.

Closed Thread