HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

So who's lying?

Closed Thread

Old
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
DDs not undersized
Former Partisan duCH

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VL55 View Post
In Montreal you have a segment of the market who is strongly biased in favour of french speaking players. But every action has an equivalent reaction and so it's in Montreal you will get the most virulent and irrational reactions against french players. It comes from people who are aggravated by the irrationality of the pro-french crowd but are as a result completely oblivious to the irrationality of their own reactions. Ironic, really.
I can't say it any better than that.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:33 PM
InglewoodJack

vCash: 1340
Quote:
Originally Posted by Partisan du CH View Post
Thank you for being the first poster to bring any argument on this thread. (can you believe it took 41 posts?) But consider this :

- He's coming off a 67 points season
- His points total has been growing every year
- Can play tough : 99 hits (3rd among Islanders forwards)
- He's still young (under 30 years old)
- He's a UFA (not a RFA) so will obviously get overpaid like any other UFA
- He was one of the very few offensive forward available this year
- The salary cap is raising, so that means more expensive contracts this year
- Also, this argument :

I fail to see how this is a surprise that he got 4 millions per year. My prediction was more around 4,5 or 5 millions.
Because he's unproven. Until two years ago, he was a minor league scrub. His rise in talent has come from John Tavares' upcomence into being an elite player. Obviously with Matt Duchene, having a good centre isn't a problem for PA. That being said, there are a lot of question marks and doubts about Parenteau's being a longtime excellent forward, or is he just a fluke, or a product of an excellent centre. With the things you mentioned, I don't think his salary makes this a bad contract, but I feel as if he's worth around 3.5.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:35 PM
rockjngo

guys parenteau is 5'11, we have many players like that. we need a big top 6, not another gomez. at 4 mil, i'm glad our gm isn't the ones throwing 13 years 90 mil for a player.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:46 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
So much hate for a guy who just posted 67 points. Only on the Habs board, can we read such non-sense. Because here, hate toward francophones is very common and accepted.
He was on the first PP unit with JT and is another overaged and undersized winger. Definitely not worth 4M/yr because of what he did in one season.

Old
07-03-2012, 11:49 PM
CN_paladin

Quote:
Originally Posted by InglewoodJack View Post
Because he's unproven. Until two years ago, he was a minor league scrub. His rise in talent has come from John Tavares' upcomence into being an elite player. Obviously with Matt Duchene, having a good centre isn't a problem for PA. That being said, there are a lot of question marks and doubts about Parenteau's being a longtime excellent forward, or is he just a fluke, or a product of an excellent centre. With the things you mentioned, I don't think his salary makes this a bad contract, but I feel as if he's worth around 3.5.
You want to throw 16M over 4 years at such an unproven and soft winger?

Old
07-04-2012, 12:13 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjngo View Post
guys parenteau is 5'11, we have many players like that. we need a big top 6, not another gomez. at 4 mil, i'm glad our gm isn't the ones throwing 13 years 90 mil for a player.
Sure but you can re-engineer your second line. When you have to chance to have a guy that puts points on the board, you bring him in no matter what. Especially someone who wanted to come in and would have energized the crowd. And you dump Bourque.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:00 AM
Max et Guillaume

Quote:
I can't say it any better than that.
So it's all about racism, and has nothing to do about the fact that he's an unproven winger who played with John F'ING Tavares? Remember Jason Blake? Remember Ville Leino?

Hey, maybe it'll work out for PAP, and I truly wish him the best. But playing alongside Pleks with limited PP, there's no way in heck he'd surpass 67 points...

If he really wanted to play in Mtl (since it's a childhood dream), he would've accepted less no? Bottom line is, it's a business, he wanted the max amount of money and he got it. Good for him, and good for us...

Old
07-04-2012, 01:25 AM
Mike8

Quote:
Go read other boards and you'll understand. Parenteau was one of the most highly touted UFA this year. I challenge you to find the kind of comments that I quoted by any other fanbase here on HFBoards. But I don't think you'll find. Only here. I don't know why it's a surprise. I've been on this board since many years and this is a trend I keep speaking against, but that never dies.
I think there's a very different reason for this, actually.

Look at it from a different vantage point: if player X from Y region were to imply that he wants to play for a team also in Y region, and it'd be rumoured for months that he may indeed come to play for that team, but then signed elsewhere, I can imagine the fans for that team being a little more personal in their comments on the player. This is because they'd have spent time discussing player X, the pros and cons of them signing, and those fans who felt the signing would've been bad would then be relieved at him not signing there.

You actually see similar things from the Toronto fan base around this time of the year. When a player has been rumoured to go there, and then winds up somewhere else, the Leaf fans will be a little more aggressive/personal in their comments about the player.

I think it's unique to Montreal and Toronto because there's no other franchise that has as many fans, nor as much media following the club/inventing rumours and perpetuating them ad nauseum.

What you perceive as being a francophone issue is IMO an over-exposure issue.

Old
07-04-2012, 04:25 AM
Corncob

Quote:
Go read other boards and you'll understand. Parenteau was one of the most highly touted UFA this year. I challenge you to find the kind of comments that I quoted by any other fanbase here on HFBoards. But I don't think you'll find.
Is there any other fanbase where there was a group of fans who had more interest in signing PAP because of his background? I can't find another board where someone has troubled themselves to start a new thread like this one over why their team didn't sign him.

That's precisely the reason you probably do find more overtly negatively comments here. On other boards the fact that the fans don't care for Parenteau at the kind of contract he was looking is simply manifested in them....not caring. If someone on their boards was starting threads on the subject of why their team didn't make a bigger push for PAP, then you would no doubt see similar posts.

Old
07-04-2012, 05:55 AM
onice

Quote:
So much hate for a guy who just posted 67 points. Only on the Habs board, can we read such non-sense. Because here, hate toward francophones is very common and accepted.
Yeah I know what you mean. Ryder, another picked-upon francophone, who accomplished more over a longer period of time was also shown hate on these boards.

Old
07-04-2012, 06:06 AM
Crimson Skorpion
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Awards:
The natural point of this thread was to discuss who was not telling the truth, or more straight-forward; "he said, she said."

Since it's turned into a Parenteau - we should have signed him thread, you can now take this discussion to the Free Agency thread.

Closed.

Closed Thread