HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Arizona Coyotes
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brett MacLean airlifted to hospital w/cardiac incident

Old
07-03-2012, 10:13 PM
Habs13

vCash: 500
Get well soon, Brett. Something you never want to see happen to anybody.

Habs13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:33 PM
drgregg

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
Spoke with Brad Treliving tonight.... Brett is in stable condition in a London area hospital. The next 24-48 hours are critical for his recovery.

It happened rather quick. He was playing a men's pick up game with Chris Minard and Mac just collapsed on the ice. They needed to use an AED and he was transported to an Owen Sound hosipital and later he was airlifted to London, ONT.

The Coyotes found out when Chris contact his brother and Pirates' goalie coach Mike Minard who informed Treliving.

I'll know more tomorrow.
Thanks for sharing with a group of concerned fans Wildcat, much appreciated.

drgregg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:37 PM
awfulwaffle

Unreal, hope for the best for him. AP looked like it was improving, but in ICU is never a good thing.

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:49 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
Unreal, hope for the best for him. AP looked like it was improving, but in ICU is never a good thing.
???

He has improved considering the use of CPR and an AED helped in seeing to it he didn't die before getting to a hospital. The ICU has help him get to stable condition and his condition can go either way based on what Wildcat 48 has shared with us.

Colt45Blast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:55 PM
awfulwaffle

Quote:
Originally Posted by AP View Post
???

He has improved considering the use of CPR and an AED helped in seeing to it he didn't die before getting to a hospital. The ICU has help him get to stable condition and his condition can go either way based on what Wildcat 48 has shared with us.
He's still in ICU.....

awfulwaffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:02 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

MacLean in stable condition after suffering a cardiac emergency
By Chris Roy Published: 3rd July 2012

Quote:
Portland, ME -- Coyotes’ prospect Brett MacLean is in intensive care in a London, Ontario area hospital after suffering a cardiac emergency Monday evening while playing hockey.
Link>>>

wildcat48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by awfulwaffle View Post
He's still in ICU.....
Just because someone is in the ICU, that doesn't mean they are in critical condition and the latest news proves this.

Also, I never said he made a full recovery either. I said that the latest news is encouraging at best.
Geez!!!!

Old
07-04-2012, 01:03 AM
krepitch
Coyote Fan

Only 23 years old.

Pretty impressive that there was an AED on site and someone who knew how to do CPR and use an AED, though. Kudos to whoever helped.

Every year around this time in Arizona, there is an organization that helps get high school kids tested for heart defects and I believe is credited for potentially saving quite a few lives. Obviously, I have no idea what caused this event, but I do hope NHL organizations have this kind of testing program in place for all of their players.

krepitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:16 AM
Jessica
NHL, AHL, & KHL lovr

Send a message via Yahoo to Jessica
Quote:
Originally Posted by krepitch View Post
Only 23 years old.

Pretty impressive that there was an AED on site and someone who knew how to do CPR and use an AED, though. Kudos to whoever helped.

Every year around this time in Arizona, there is an organization that helps get high school kids tested for heart defects and I believe is credited for potentially saving quite a few lives. Obviously, I have no idea what caused this event, but I do hope NHL organizations have this kind of testing program in place for all of their players.
I was just thinking about that but a long the lines that the NHL should put their players through some sort of medical test, dealing with the heart. And, no I'm not talking about a simple stress test. Something that will give even better test results. Who knows how many players might be playing with a bad heart and don't even know it.

My prayers got out to Brett and his family. Also to the people that were there and had to witness this. I was a bit shocked when I saw the news about him, after seeing him play for so long here.

Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:35 AM
TickleMeYandle
Not so fast,

Now the rumor is that it may not have been a heart attack. He's reportedly stable and they are doing further testing to figure out what it is.

I think a lot of times everyone assumes that athletes are going to have great cardiac health - after all, they get so much exercise, and if there were something wrong with their hearts, it would show up in small ways somewhere along the way. Except that it doesn't - we see news stories frequently enough of someone dropping dead of a previously undiagnosed heart issue that nobody ever through to check for because the person was so seemingly healthy.

I've seen it more with basketball players, but I know it's happened in other types of athletes. We just had one here in AZ - I forget the details, but wasn't there a European athlete training here in AZ and they died of a heart attack at a young age? It was in the last few months.

TickleMeYandle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Naych_PHX
Are you, kidding me?

Wow, I was out last night came home to hear about this happened just after I walked out the door. Scarey stuff, I hope he's getting better and recovers. All I could think about was Jiri Fischer, sadly enough.

Naych_PHX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:57 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clownquestion View Post
Now the rumor is that it may not have been a heart attack. He's reportedly stable and they are doing further testing to figure out what it is.

I think a lot of times everyone assumes that athletes are going to have great cardiac health - after all, they get so much exercise, and if there were something wrong with their hearts, it would show up in small ways somewhere along the way. Except that it doesn't - we see news stories frequently enough of someone dropping dead of a previously undiagnosed heart issue that nobody ever through to check for because the person was so seemingly healthy.

I've seen it more with basketball players, but I know it's happened in other types of athletes. We just had one here in AZ - I forget the details, but wasn't there a European athlete training here in AZ and they died of a heart attack at a young age? It was in the last few months.
Your right. In fact, along with being active one must be able to have plenty of rest(6-8 hours minimum uninteruptted sleep)in order to have a heart to function well. Plus, some of these heart tests(ekg, stress test) are not 100% accurate.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:45 PM
Seedling
Fan level 7?

vCash: 50
I hate this kind of news. I wish him a speedy and full recovery.

Seedling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 05:00 PM
Colt45Blast
is in your head

https://twitter.com/RealKyper/status/220632236951740416

Quote:
Great news on ‪#Coyotes‬ Brett MacLean. He's awake and coherent. Hope is to move out of I.C.U soon. Cause of collapse still undetermined.

Old
07-04-2012, 07:37 PM
clayman

I hope it was something other then a heart issue.. Get well soon

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:59 PM
Swat Ultra
~Hockey!~

Quote:
marc antoine pouliot ‏@poully78
Mac is awake and breathing good! Waiting for an update now.

Swat Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:23 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

MacLean ‘improving’ according to team officials
By Chris Roy Published: 4th July 2012

Quote:
Portland, ME – Phoenix Coyotes forward Brett MacLean was still in ICU in a London area hospital, but according to the team’s assistant general manager Brad Treliving is showing signs of improvement.
Link>>>

Old
07-04-2012, 10:28 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naych_PHX View Post
Wow, I was out last night came home to hear about this happened just after I walked out the door. Scarey stuff, I hope he's getting better and recovers. All I could think about was Jiri Fischer, sadly enough.
Very close comparison from what I've been told.... It seems like something in his body overloaded, and like a fusebox, he blew a breaker and thankfully the people at the arena in Owen Sound knew what to do.

I've been told that things are looking better for him each passing hour.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:14 PM
Sceva Sct
on the edge

Great to here things are looking more positive for him, and thanks to those keeping us informed.

Sceva Sct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 08:28 AM
Ranfordrocks

i think his nhl career is over now something you dont wanna over stress and hockey is very stressfull sport on heart

Ranfordrocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 05:59 PM
MIG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranfordrocks View Post
i think his nhl career is over now something you dont wanna over stress and hockey is very stressfull sport on heart
Premature comment, unless of course you are a cardiologist who has examined him.

MIG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-05-2012, 06:26 PM
mitch27

I really hope he makes a full recovery. That's some scary stuff...

mitch27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 10:57 AM
clayman

Any word on his condition?

clayman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-07-2012, 12:52 PM
wildcat48
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by clayman View Post
Any word on his condition?
He's doing better... He walking around slowly. He has no memory of the incident at all. From what I've been able to gather he suffered no neurological damage or heart damage, but the doctors plan to begin some the test to find out what happened today. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like an electrolyte imbalance or something in his body overloaded and like a breaker panel in our homes, he blew a breaker and his heart just stopped.

Again... Thankfully the people on scene knew what to do or we could be talking about a whole different outcome.

Old
07-07-2012, 02:19 PM
RemoAZ
Stugots

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat48 View Post
He's doing better... He walking around slowly. He has no memory of the incident at all. From what I've been able to gather he suffered no neurological damage or heart damage, but the doctors plan to begin some the test to find out what happened today. I'm not a doctor, but it sounds like an electrolyte imbalance or something in his body overloaded and like a breaker panel in our homes, he blew a breaker and his heart just stopped.

Again... Thankfully the people on scene knew what to do or we could be talking about a whole different outcome.
Than you for the update. The guy is trying to make the jump to the NHL. I wouldn't be surprised to hear he used a bad combination of supplements or too much of something (hopefully a legal substance).

RemoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote