HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Best Way to Watch Leafs Games if Outside Southern Ontario

Old
07-08-2012, 08:30 PM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

vCash: 500
Best Way to Watch Leafs Games if Outside Southern Ontario

Hey everyone,

Being a Leafs fan is awesome, but trying to watch games if you live outside of Southern Ontario is not as easy as it should be. I am trying to figure out how I could watch Leafs games for the upcoming season.

Getting rid of cable TV would be a good option as I don't watch a ton of TV, and was hoping to use: Apple TV, PS3 and online services to watch games. I am trying to understand how all the blackouts work for certain services (ie: NHL Centre Ice, NHL Gamecenter, Hockeystreams, etc). It seems like Leafs games televised nationally (ie: TSN or CBC) would be blacked out for those services I listed. Presumably, Senators games on SNET East would also be blackedout.

Is there anyway to get around all of the blackouts?
I want to pay for a service that will guarantee that I can watch every Leafs game. Does such a service exist?

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:35 PM
Duke Silver
Truce?

vCash: 450
I'm an avid supporter of NHL Gamecentre.

In my experiences watching from Newfoundland, the only games that are blacked out are those which are national broadcasts (CBC, TSN, NBC). I watch those games on TV and all Sportsnet, LeafsTV and out-of-town games on Gamecentre.

Duke Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:36 PM
KuleminFan41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo19 View Post
Hey everyone,

Being a Leafs fan is awesome, but trying to watch games if you live outside of Southern Ontario is not as easy as it should be. I am trying to figure out how I could watch Leafs games for the upcoming season.

Getting rid of cable TV would be a good option as I don't watch a ton of TV, and was hoping to use: Apple TV, PS3 and online services to watch games. I am trying to understand how all the blackouts work for certain services (ie: NHL Centre Ice, NHL Gamecenter, Hockeystreams, etc). It seems like Leafs games televised nationally (ie: TSN or CBC) would be blacked out for those services I listed. Presumably, Senators games on SNET East would also be blackedout.

Is there anyway to get around all of the blackouts?
I want to pay for a service that will guarantee that I can watch every Leafs game. Does such a service exist?
PS3 has a NHL center ice app. Not sure how it works idk if you can watch Leafs games but I don't think you'll get much outside of the area in terms of watchable games. Blackouts are incredibly stupid. You pay the channel and don't get games a lot of times.

KuleminFan41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:40 PM
Leafs at Knight
Fire Burn the Ice

http://www.thefirstrow.eu/
But wait its free !1!!#.

Leafs at Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-08-2012, 08:41 PM
Terrence
Registered Slacker

I assume youre living in Ottawa. I live in Ottawa for school and GameCentre works great for me.

You can get NHL GameCentre Live using both Apple TV and your PS3. All games on TSN and CBC will be blacked out. However you can watch the CBC games on cbc.ca. And youd also be able to watch games on TSN on mobile TV if youre with Bell. Senator games on Sportsnet were hit and miss for me. Sometimes they were blacked out, sometimes they werent. The options for Gamecentre are sick though. Full DVR functions, so you can rewind, pause, and watch replays of the goals you missed. And every hockey game from the 2007-2008 season are archived.

Another service you can look into is hockeystreams. It's cheaper than GameCentre and there are no blackouts. The disadvantage is the streams arent as good as quality. Im not sure if what the features are on hockeystreams are either.

Terrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 10:55 AM
rojac
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs at Knight View Post
http://www.thefirstrow.eu/
But wait its free !1!!#.
If you're comfortable with the idea of people distributing Intellectual Property that they have no rights to.

rojac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:25 AM
stickyiki

Hockeystreams has no blackouts. I used it while I was in Ottawa. Worked great for me. I had access to every NHL game.

stickyiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:27 AM
colchar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
If you're comfortable with the idea of people distributing Intellectual Property that they have no rights to.

Downloading music is legal in Canada so it isn't as simple as intellectual property and these broadcasts are kind of a grey area.

colchar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:29 AM
dougieg93
flip for filip

I setup a PVR to a slingbox in Toronto so that I can access Toronto games anywhere.

dougieg93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:07 PM
caber93

I'm in school in the States and streamed pretty well every game on my ps3. There are a few different sites I would use .... firstrowsports.eu, vipbox.tv, or ourleafs.blogspot.com

caber93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 05:16 PM
LeaffanDM

when they show games on tsn and cbc, they are national broadcasts. you wouldnt need center ice for those. and as for center ice blocking them out, its because TSN and CBC have their own broadcast contracts and rights.

LeaffanDM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 07:34 PM
cannucky

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojac View Post
I'm comfortable watching games that are broadcast on Public Airways in any manner required , funny how people forget we in Canada own the airways the broadcasters use, and if the NHL would sell me the Leafs Online package here in BC I might buy it but they won't they insist I buy the package for the team in my market and if you think I'm spending hundreds of dollars to watch Canuck games online you need to put down the pipe there mister holier than tho

cannucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:27 PM
Bionda
Packers: 1-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caber93 View Post
I'm in school in the States and streamed pretty well every game on my ps3. There are a few different sites I would use .... firstrowsports.eu, vipbox.tv, or ourleafs.blogspot.com
If you don't mind me asking man, what school are you going to? Just curious.. one of my best friends in high school is at Colgate University (in NY) and he streams all games on his PS3 too

As far as the OP is concerned, I also agree with the GameCentre suggestions.

Bionda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Cool Beans Man

Imagine that was him?

Cool Beans Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:33 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

PS3 works well for me.

Kessely Snipes is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-09-2012, 11:36 PM
GreekLeafer

How much does the PS3 NHL thing cost?

GreekLeafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:38 AM
caber93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bionda View Post
If you don't mind me asking man, what school are you going to? Just curious.. one of my best friends in high school is at Colgate University (in NY) and he streams all games on his PS3 too

As far as the OP is concerned, I also agree with the GameCentre suggestions.

I'm in grad school in the St.Louis area. Is your buddy playing hockey there or just decided to go to Colgate!? But ya streaming works great for me - it's not HD quality but it does the trick without paying for GameCentre

caber93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 09:59 AM
L Corncrick
NHL Outsider

You can get the streaming version of LeafsTV anywhere if you give them a Southern Ontario postal code. Last year was $40 for 50+ games. The balance could be watched on CBC and TSN.

L Corncrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 12:41 PM
Bionda
Packers: 1-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by caber93 View Post
I'm in grad school in the St.Louis area. Is your buddy playing hockey there or just decided to go to Colgate!? But ya streaming works great for me - it's not HD quality but it does the trick without paying for GameCentre
No, he is on the lacrosse team. Scholarships certainly factored into his decision..
Yeah streaming is a valuable resource, I use it to follow a myriad of sports outside NA like rugby.

Bionda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 08:00 AM
Mojo19
He's Big, He's Bald

It is ridiculous to think that I want to pay for the ability to watch every single Leaf game, but there is no simple way to do it.

The only way seems to pay through the nose to the cable companies to ensure you have every channel (CBC, TSN, Sportsnet Ontario, Leafs TV). Its so stupid though because Leafs games are blacked out on Sportsnet Ontario... even in Nova Scotia!!!

Mojo19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 09:29 AM
InterceptSchenn
Good Evening MrFrost

NHL Centre Ice package. Money well spent.

InterceptSchenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 10:55 AM
Patty Lee
I hate the Habs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo19 View Post
It is ridiculous to think that I want to pay for the ability to watch every single Leaf game, but there is no simple way to do it.

The only way seems to pay through the nose to the cable companies to ensure you have every channel (CBC, TSN, Sportsnet Ontario, Leafs TV). Its so stupid though because Leafs games are blacked out on Sportsnet Ontario... even in Nova Scotia!!!
you can't get Leafs TV in NS.

NHL center ice carries all the games. no blackouts. it's not hard at all.

Patty Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 06:59 PM
Pyrophorus

Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
Stream...

Pyrophorus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:03 PM
Ruski

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougieg93 View Post
I setup a PVR to a slingbox in Toronto so that I can access Toronto games anywhere.
x1 ... My Slingbox has been going strong for over 3 years and i can watch on almost any mobile device or stream via the web!

Easily the best $300 spent on media equipment

Ruski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-19-2012, 07:34 PM
Irish Leaf

www.firstrowsports.eu it works on the ps3 i use it all the time

Irish Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote