HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

That Matt Martin is more than just the new improved Steve Webb

Old
07-10-2012, 11:41 AM
doublechili

vCash: 398
Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I envision Matty Marts becoming Darren McCarty 2.0 for the Isles. I really hope that happens.
I've always thought more along the lines of Bob Nystrom 2.0, but we're probably talking apples and apples.

doublechili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 11:45 AM
LongIslandCircus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I didn't watch him in Sarnia. I watch him on the Islanders. Sorry, I love the guy, but I don't see top 6. I hope he proves me wrong though. He is a very important part of our team without the offense. Just imagine if developed that part of his game.
I agree, although with his work ethic you never really know. He is extremely valuable and brings so many elements you want out of a 3rd line winger. I can see him filling in on a 2nd line from time to time, but think he is more suited for a bottom 6 role on a contending team.

No knock against Martin, the kid is a gem.

LongIslandCircus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 02:10 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by StumpNYI View Post
I didn't watch him in Sarnia. I watch him on the Islanders. Sorry, I love the guy, but I don't see top 6. I hope he proves me wrong though. He is a very important part of our team without the offense. Just imagine if developed that part of his game.
It is impossible to predict what he can become without knowing his history. He has been told he reached his ceiling at each level, only to transcend above and beyond every time. He has something you wish every kid had - coachability, and no preconceived notions of his own limits. I want to say he has heart, which he does, but it is something more than that.

And he doesn't need to sweeten his hands, just get more confidence and room with the puck. He will score more ugly goals and give us more PP's via pest mode which we have not yet seen his A game on.

When he adds a few more lbs of muscle too... It will get even more fun. He already improved his skating noticably, with more on the way. I can't wait to see his next level in October.

A Pointed Stick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 03:28 PM
StumpNYI

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
It is impossible to predict what he can become without knowing his history. He has been told he reached his ceiling at each level, only to transcend above and beyond every time. He has something you wish every kid had - coachability, and no preconceived notions of his own limits. I want to say he has heart, which he does, but it is something more than that.

And he doesn't need to sweeten his hands, just get more confidence and room with the puck. He will score more ugly goals and give us more PP's via pest mode which we have not yet seen his A game on.

When he adds a few more lbs of muscle too... It will get even more fun. He already improved his skating noticably, with more on the way. I can't wait to see his next level in October.
Then late April in to June. He has gotten far fast for someone who got a spot on an OHL team by tryout (iirc) and was a long shot for the NHL at the draft. I'll give him that.

StumpNYI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-10-2012, 07:11 PM
Islanderfan17

I was so excited when Martin first made the team, and I'm so happy he's made his niche in this team. Plus, number 17 is my favorite number

Islanderfan17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:38 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Where will he fit on the PP?

PP1
Moulson - JT - Okposo
Streit - Lubo

PP2
Grabner - Nielsen - Bailey(?)
Hamonic - MacDonald

OrangeZebra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:50 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Where will he fit on the PP?

PP1
Moulson - JT - Okposo
Streit - Lubo

Grabner - Nielsen - Bailey(?)
Hamonic - MacDonald
You put his big body in front of the goaltender and sit either Grabner or Moulson but any side will do.

Old
07-15-2012, 06:19 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Pointed Stick View Post
You put his big body in front of the goaltender and sit either Grabner or Moulson but any side will do.
Grabner maybe, but you're crazy if you think Moulson's getting sat on the PP for Martin.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:29 PM
Riddick

i dont think martin is a particularly good fighter but he is a damn good hitter. i think he could fit into the top 6 with some work. i mean, ffs, aaron asham was on the top line with yashin for months!

Riddick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 08:05 PM
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riddick View Post
i dont think martin is a particularly good fighter but he is a damn good hitter. i think he could fit into the top 6 with some work. i mean, ffs, aaron asham was on the top line with yashin for months!
He's exactly what you want in a scrapper, he takes care of crowd control/plays hockey/yes hits like a tank, finally takes the other guy with him to the sin bin. This is a smart fighter/theres no need to overwhelm/run around making threats. Matt Martin gets the job done with a little class to boot.
He handled all comers much bigger times as a puppy age 21-22. Guts and glory is Matty Marts he's only gonna get bigger and tougher, but this is not the game he will play in yrs to come, on a shooting physical front end he scores lots of dirty goals while causing havoc

camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:13 PM
A Pointed Stick
Can You Believe It?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Grabner maybe, but you're crazy if you think Moulson's getting sat on the PP for Martin.
I was presented with a first PP unit of Tavares, Okposo, and Moulson. Obviously Tavares stays unless an injury is involved. Kyle vs. Moulson, Kyle has better hands and better stick handling, though he was wildly inconsistent last season. Both he and Tavares will be working the half boards regardless. Moulson makes his living around the net and is an average stick handler on his best night. He also goes on epic slumps. If he was on a hot streak then yeah, no way do I move him for Martin, but when he goes cold like he always does for a stretch then there is no other logical person on that unit to move.

This year I expect minor visits to the PP though. It will come possibly 2013-14.

Old
07-16-2012, 05:11 AM
BillD

Matty has the potential to turn out as good as, or better than David Clarkson. Matty is a better skater and is quite a bit bigger than Clarkson, who has turned out to be a very useful contributor to the offense from his 3rd line position. Aide from the past year's production which is likely not repeatable, Clarkson plays an agitator role and chips in 10-15 goals.
Matty can play that role as well if not better than Clarkson and chip in average of 15-18 goals with his bette skating and size advantage. Matty continues to work very hard to improve and he does make progress at age 23.

BillD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-16-2012, 01:38 PM
camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Matty has the potential to turn out as good as, or better than David Clarkson. Matty is a better skater and is quite a bit bigger than Clarkson, who has turned out to be a very useful contributor to the offense from his 3rd line position. Aide from the past year's production which is likely not repeatable, Clarkson plays an agitator role and chips in 10-15 goals.
Matty can play that role as well if not better than Clarkson and chip in average of 15-18 goals with his bette skating and size advantage. Matty continues to work very hard to improve and he does make progress at age 23.

Clarkson wasn't given the opp. to score till his jr, coach Deboer took the rains much like the case with Marty. No one knows what a kid can do better than their jr. coach.

camper is offline   Reply With Quote