HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

Russian Quintet

Old
07-03-2012, 10:35 PM
Claude The Fraud
Win at any cost

vCash: 500
Russian Quintet

Beside the famous quintet of Krutov, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov and Kasatonov, were there any other combination of five player that were used to play together in the '80? Does a specific pair of defensemen was used with the line of Bure, Fedorov and Mogilny? Thanks!

Claude The Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:41 PM
SidGenoMario

Sykora - Malkin - Fedotenko

Gonchar - Satan

Even though only 2 of them are true Russians, they all spoke Russian together. And Satan wasn't a defenseman. >_>

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Claude The Fraud
Win at any cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post

Gonchar - Satan

Even though only 2 of them are true Russians, they all spoke Russian together. And Satan wasn't a defenseman. >_>
I'm looking for a russian quintet or line combination that played mostly on the international scene during the '80s...

Claude The Fraud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:54 PM
SidGenoMario

Oh haha, I'm totally illiterate.

SidGenoMario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 10:57 PM
TheDevilMadeMe
Global Moderator

Zinetula Bilyaletdinov and Vasili Pervuhkin were the "second pairing" of the Soviet National team for much of the 1980s. Not sure what their forward unit was though

TheDevilMadeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-03-2012, 11:07 PM
LeBlondeDemon10
BlindLemon Haystacks

1970's and 81 Canada Cup?

Petrov Kharlamov Mikhailov
Vasiliev and Gusev or Ragulin

LeBlondeDemon10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:20 AM
VMBM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claude The Fraud View Post
Beside the famous quintet of Krutov, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov and Kasatonov, were there any other combination of five player that were used to play together in the '80? Does a specific pair of defensemen was used with the line of Bure, Fedorov and Mogilny? Thanks!
It's even hard to come up with a forward line! The most famous - and best - ones were arguably Shalimov, Shepelev and Kapustin (early '80s) and Khomutov, Bykov and Kamensky (the latter part of the '80s).

The former line made its name in the 1981 Canada Cup plus 1981 and 1982 World Championships, but it did not last long, as Shalimov and Kapustin were already veteran players even in the early 1980s. Their defensemen? I'd have to watch some games, but I would guess it was mostly either Vasiliev-Babinov or Bilyaletdinov-Pervukhin.

In the case of Khomutov-Bykov-Kamensky, I would, again, have to watch some games (from the 1987 CC, for example), but Gusarov-Stelnov, maybe???

Overall, the most famous 'Russian five', outside the Green Unit of course, was Mikhailov-Petrov-Kharlamov, backed by Vasiliev-Gusev/Lutchenko, but I think even that lasted only a few years (1973-1976), and after that, it was different defensive pairings (eg. Tsygankov-Fetisov in the 1978 WCs, Tsygankov-Lutchenko in the 1979 WCs).

All in all, I would say there was never anything remotely comparable to the Green Unit (i.e. playing together for almost a decade).

Last edited by VMBM: 07-04-2012 at 04:27 AM.
VMBM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 07:55 AM
Sentinel

Kozlov-Larionov-Fedorov-Fetisov-Konstantinov

I thought Bilyaletdinov and Pervuhin played with Kamensky-Bykov-Khomutov. Kamensky was one of my favorite Russian players in the NHL, despite playing for Colorado.

Sentinel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 08:13 AM
SnowblindNYR

Quote:
Originally Posted by SidGenoMario View Post

Gonchar - Satan

I didn't know Czechs and Slovaks knew how to speak Russian. My dad told me they learn in though. Fedotenko while I guess is not a true Russian was born in a city (Kiev, Ukraine) where more people spoke Russian than Ukrainian.

SnowblindNYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:01 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
Kozlov-Larionov-Fedorov-Fetisov-Konstantinov
OP:

Quote:
Beside the famous quintet of Krutov, Larionov, Makarov, Fetisov and Kasatonov, were there any other combination of five player that were used to play together in the '80?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentinel View Post
I thought Bilyaletdinov and Pervuhin played with Kamensky-Bykov-Khomutov.
I don't know about CSKA Moscow 1986-1987, but on the Soviet National Team the Kamensky-Bykov-Khomutov line first played together in February 1987. Two months later Bilyaletdinov played his last major tournament for the National Team.

Theokritos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:39 AM
the edler
Inimitable

Quote:
Does a specific pair of defensemen was used with the line of Bure, Fedorov and Mogilny? Thanks!
in the 1989 wjc that line played occasionally with sergei zubov, alexander godynyuk and sergei sorokin, zubov also played on the same team, cska moscow, in the 88-89 season

except fetisov, kasatonov and zubov the defense on the 88-89 cska moscow were vladimir konstantinov, alexei gusarov, vladimir malakhov, igor kravchuk, sergei starikov, igor stelnov, igor malykhin and igor ivanov, of those guys malykhin and ivanov also played in the 89 wjc

game vs canada in 89

the edler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Peter25

From national team:

Kharlamov - Petrov - Mikhailov - Luchenko/Gusev - Vasilyev
Kamensky - Bykov - Khomutov - Stelnov - Starikov
Yashin - Semenov - Svetlov - Pervukhin - Bilyaletdinov

Peter25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 06:55 PM
Hammer Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMBM View Post
It's even hard to come up with a forward line! The most famous - and best - ones were arguably Shalimov, Shepelev and Kapustin (early '80s) and Khomutov, Bykov and Kamensky (the latter part of the '80s).

The former line made its name in the 1981 Canada Cup plus 1981 and 1982 World Championships, but it did not last long, as Shalimov and Kapustin were already veteran players even in the early 1980s. Their defensemen? I'd have to watch some games, but I would guess it was mostly either Vasiliev-Babinov or Bilyaletdinov-Pervukhin.

In the case of Khomutov-Bykov-Kamensky, I would, again, have to watch some games (from the 1987 CC, for example), but Gusarov-Stelnov, maybe???

Overall, the most famous 'Russian five', outside the Green Unit of course, was Mikhailov-Petrov-Kharlamov, backed by Vasiliev-Gusev/Lutchenko, but I think even that lasted only a few years (1973-1976), and after that, it was different defensive pairings (eg. Tsygankov-Fetisov in the 1978 WCs, Tsygankov-Lutchenko in the 1979 WCs).

All in all, I would say there was never anything remotely comparable to the Green Unit (i.e. playing together for almost a decade).
If I'm not mistaken the players that were on the ice to concede the winning goal of the 1987 Canada Cup were:
Khomutov-Bykov-Kamensky
Stelnov-Kravchuk

Hammer Time is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
12-24-2012, 10:27 PM
od71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor View Post
If I'm not mistaken the players that were on the ice to concede the winning goal of the 1987 Canada Cup were:
Khomutov-Bykov-Kamensky
Stelnov-Kravchuk
Yes, here they are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=0zE16aiY6pk

od71 is offline   Reply With Quote