HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

PA Vs. Boyes

View Poll Results: Who will score more points this year?
PA Parenteau 37 39.78%
Brad Boyes 40 43.01%
They will have equal point totals 16 17.20%
Voters: 93. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-10-2012, 05:23 PM
  #51
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeNightmare View Post
I was not looking at that at all.

I was looking at 2009 in STL:

82gp 14g 28a 42pts
And that was 6 goals (8 points) off his yearly average....

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:28 PM
  #52
SublimeNightmare
Registered User
 
SublimeNightmare's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Embrace the Tank
Country: United States
Posts: 276
vCash: 500
Send a message via Yahoo to SublimeNightmare
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
And that was 6 goals (8 points) off his yearly average....
Your point? Mine was that Boyes will not out score PA this season. Thinking you can pencil him on the top line is just wishful thinking. Clearly STL thought him expendable. The 43 goal season slumped into a 42 point season and they wanted to dump him. He went to Buffalo, was misused and played average against below average matchups.

Just cannot see him playing top minutes against top competition and meshing perfectly with JT/Moulson.

SublimeNightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 05:23 AM
  #53
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Germany
Posts: 12,241
vCash: 500
At this junction, I'd have a hard time seeing Boyes replace Parenteau's 65 points.

Three things:
A) Parenteau played two season more or less with JT and Moulson and developed chemistry, the type of chemistry skill players develop with each other. The rate of success did not come overnight, but definitely incrementally.
B) PA was trying to prove he belongs in this league while JT was doing all he could to become the star many hope he'll be. Whether the benefits of this dynamic can be attained here with a JT-Boyes partnership is questionable.
C) I don't care how experienced a guy is or if he's usually been a 55 point player along the way, you don't often see a guy go from 42 to 23 to 65 points.

I do think Boyes will see a bit of a rebound. He should slide back in with numbers like 17-26-43 while getting some 1st and 2nd line minutes plus PP time.

For me, the biggest question marks on the team are Bailey and Grabner.

Of Bailey's ability I have no doubt. Can he now become a consistent scorer while getting time on the wing? Will this team EVER try him with Tavares (seriously, we've never seen that)? I see no reason why he can't be a 50 point guy as a top 6 forward on this team. That time has come.

As for Grabner, I've been one of his heaviest detractors at this site. Granted, I like to root for him, but he was shown his limits last year and is simply, simply too weak of an allround player to play at this level if he's not scoring. Too weak physically, too weak on the puck, too weak in creating space, too weak at finding a way through traffic, etc. He's decent enough on the PK, namely because he can pop through now and again and reads the blueline passers pretty well, but he's not a player for the slot, corners or perimeter. He's solely counterattacker and if you get 35 breakaways per season, scoring on 4 or 5 of them and doing almost nothing else doesn't fly. Which is why I'm curious what mental fortitude he consists of? Despite a lousy season, he still put up 20 goals. What could happen if he refinds that mojo, or should I say, finds new ways to get through the opponent's defense?

I give him one more season. If he simply repeats last year, it may be worth cutting the line if a decent trade option is there, because we've got other kids coming up the next two seasons who should be better allround players.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:22 AM
  #54
JetsMetsIsles
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 2,323
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
At this junction, I'd have a hard time seeing Boyes replace Parenteau's 65 points.

Three things:
A) Parenteau played two season more or less with JT and Moulson and developed chemistry, the type of chemistry skill players develop with each other. The rate of success did not come overnight, but definitely incrementally.
B) PA was trying to prove he belongs in this league while JT was doing all he could to become the star many hope he'll be. Whether the benefits of this dynamic can be attained here with a JT-Boyes partnership is questionable.
C) I don't care how experienced a guy is or if he's usually been a 55 point player along the way, you don't often see a guy go from 42 to 23 to 65 points.

I do think Boyes will see a bit of a rebound. He should slide back in with numbers like 17-26-43 while getting some 1st and 2nd line minutes plus PP time.

For me, the biggest question marks on the team are Bailey and Grabner.

Of Bailey's ability I have no doubt. Can he now become a consistent scorer while getting time on the wing? Will this team EVER try him with Tavares (seriously, we've never seen that)? I see no reason why he can't be a 50 point guy as a top 6 forward on this team. That time has come.

As for Grabner, I've been one of his heaviest detractors at this site. Granted, I like to root for him, but he was shown his limits last year and is simply, simply too weak of an allround player to play at this level if he's not scoring. Too weak physically, too weak on the puck, too weak in creating space, too weak at finding a way through traffic, etc. He's decent enough on the PK, namely because he can pop through now and again and reads the blueline passers pretty well, but he's not a player for the slot, corners or perimeter. He's solely counterattacker and if you get 35 breakaways per season, scoring on 4 or 5 of them and doing almost nothing else doesn't fly. Which is why I'm curious what mental fortitude he consists of? Despite a lousy season, he still put up 20 goals. What could happen if he refinds that mojo, or should I say, finds new ways to get through the opponent's defense?

I give him one more season. If he simply repeats last year, it may be worth cutting the line if a decent trade option is there, because we've got other kids coming up the next two seasons who should be better allround players.
I doubt Boyes scores 65 points but thats not the poll. I doubt even more that PA will put up 65 points again. PA is new to his team too and has 0 experience with his linemates. The difference is Boyes has JT now and he will have to be terrible to not score 20 goals with JT.

JetsMetsIsles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 10:36 AM
  #55
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent
 
seafoam's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Connecticut
Posts: 34,277
vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
At this junction, I'd have a hard time seeing Boyes replace Parenteau's 65 points.

Three things:
A) Parenteau played two season more or less with JT and Moulson and developed chemistry, the type of chemistry skill players develop with each other. The rate of success did not come overnight, but definitely incrementally.
B) PA was trying to prove he belongs in this league while JT was doing all he could to become the star many hope he'll be. Whether the benefits of this dynamic can be attained here with a JT-Boyes partnership is questionable.
C) I don't care how experienced a guy is or if he's usually been a 55 point player along the way, you don't often see a guy go from 42 to 23 to 65 points.

I do think Boyes will see a bit of a rebound. He should slide back in with numbers like 17-26-43 while getting some 1st and 2nd line minutes plus PP time.

For me, the biggest question marks on the team are Bailey and Grabner.

Of Bailey's ability I have no doubt. Can he now become a consistent scorer while getting time on the wing? Will this team EVER try him with Tavares (seriously, we've never seen that)? I see no reason why he can't be a 50 point guy as a top 6 forward on this team. That time has come.

As for Grabner, I've been one of his heaviest detractors at this site. Granted, I like to root for him, but he was shown his limits last year and is simply, simply too weak of an allround player to play at this level if he's not scoring. Too weak physically, too weak on the puck, too weak in creating space, too weak at finding a way through traffic, etc. He's decent enough on the PK, namely because he can pop through now and again and reads the blueline passers pretty well, but he's not a player for the slot, corners or perimeter. He's solely counterattacker and if you get 35 breakaways per season, scoring on 4 or 5 of them and doing almost nothing else doesn't fly. Which is why I'm curious what mental fortitude he consists of? Despite a lousy season, he still put up 20 goals. What could happen if he refinds that mojo, or should I say, finds new ways to get through the opponent's defense?

I give him one more season. If he simply repeats last year, it may be worth cutting the line if a decent trade option is there, because we've got other kids coming up the next two seasons who should be better allround players.
Good luck to Garth trying to trade a one-dimensional winger with three years remaining on a backloaded contract.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:54 AM
  #56
SLAPSHOT723
Moderator
Big Brock
 
SLAPSHOT723's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Long Island
Posts: 16,430
vCash: 500
I think Boyes will do well this year if he plays with JT.

28G 25A 53 points.

PA won't be Ville Leino bad but he won't produce as much playing with Duchene.

16G 29A 45 points.

SLAPSHOT723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:32 PM
  #57
Veteran journeyman
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 379
vCash: 500
Neither PA nor Boyes gives the Islanders the extra dimension the team needs, imo. We keep thinking in terms of whether "Tavares will get points out of them." What about someone whose game isn't reliant on Tavares, but rather compliments him and helps him become the player he can be? Last season, Tavares spent way too much time grinding it out in the corners by himself, imo, because that's not really PA's or Moulson's game and someone had to do it. I don't think that's the best use of a player who had always been billed as deadly from the circles down. Give me a winger with size who can control the puck down low and along the boards, drag some defenders along, and draw the attention of the other team. Right now, if you just put 100% of your focus on John Tavares, you stand a pretty good chance of beating the New York Islanders. Another independent threat to work with Tavares, and I think both that player's and Tavares' point totals would explode, to the benefit of the team.

Based on what I've seen of Boyes this past season, he's not that kind of player. He is another non-physical player with talent who will only sometimes go to the tough areas to make plays. Seems similar to the handful of enigmatic players we already have, with maybe a bit more scoring upside. Doesn't really change the overall make-up of the forwards though from what it was; it just subbed one perimeter player for another who's maybe more of a shooter than passer.


Last edited by Veteran journeyman: 07-12-2012 at 12:34 PM. Reason: Minor grammar mistake.
Veteran journeyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 08:31 PM
  #58
kk
diehard NYI/WPG fan
 
kk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Taipei(fromManitoba)
Country: Taiwan
Posts: 641
vCash: 500
This is just my opinion, I have nothing to back this up....but....I have a feeling PA is going to flop in Colorado. It seems like some players just thrive in certain environments and with certain teammates and not in others. PA had great chemistry on Long Island, and I wouldn't be at all surprised to see him regress badly in Denver.

As for Boyes, well it's worth a shot, especially at the cost Snow got him for. You never know, maybe Boyes finds his scoring touch again.

kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 09:28 PM
  #59
Jester9881
Registered User
 
Jester9881's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Long Island NY
Posts: 5,392
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SublimeNightmare View Post
Your point? Mine was that Boyes will not out score PA this season. Thinking you can pencil him on the top line is just wishful thinking. Clearly STL thought him expendable. The 43 goal season slumped into a 42 point season and they wanted to dump him. He went to Buffalo, was misused and played average against below average matchups.

Just cannot see him playing top minutes against top competition and meshing perfectly with JT/Moulson.
My point? You serious? LMAO

You said he's been slumping for four years. I posted evidence that you were wrong. Pretty cut and dry

Jester9881 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:24 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.