HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Free Agency 2012! Part 2

Old
07-04-2012, 12:53 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

vCash: 500
Panthers Free Agency 2012! Part 2

Continue Discussion here.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:17 AM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Just thought I would open the thread with some interesting stuff to look at, I don't know how well TheFourthPeriod is trusted, but I follow their twitter and they seem to be pretty accurate.

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/freeagents/top30.html

Shows we had interest in Brodeur, Hudler, Garrison, Parenteau, Latendresse... and we have interest in Semin, Wellwood, Moore, Huselius, Colaiacovo, Kostitsyn... interesting. Wonder how accurate that is.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:43 AM
Erick

I could be wrong, but I don't think TFP is all that reliable with rumors. Then again, a rumor is a rumor. Most rumors aren't seen as credible because a lot of them never happen, regardless of the source.

Honestly, I hope we pursue a trade. I don't want any of the free agents available.

Erick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:03 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

I echo the sentiment that our offense is not worse than last season. Huby replaces Sammy. I also think Howden is going to do a lot of nice things for us. All of the other forwards that we lost are basically nothings. If we add a quality forward, which I think we will, I think our offense is better next season.

Moving from Garrison to kuba is a downgrade, but not a huge one. Our goaltending is the same. The big question is how the PP will be affected by the loss of Sammy and Gary, which is a valid concern. But that doesn't mean that there can't be guys that step up from within. Also, Garrison's offensive production slowed dramatically in the 2nd half. All in all, if we add another forward, this team is about the same as last season's, with potential for internal improvement. This team can definitely make the playoffs again.

As far as Wolski goes, there's no spot for him. Half of the time he does a whole lot of nothing in regulation. I'd rather we focus on being a better regulation team so we don't have to worry so much about losing points in the SO.

As far as our division goes, I don't understand why there is so much panic about the other teams in our division up to this point. I'm baffled by all the love Carolina is getting. Yes, they acquired Staal, but they lost Sutter. Am I missing something? Sutter is a pretty good player too. Their defense still sucks and their backup is out for 6 months. They were going to let Peters go but when they found out Boucher needed surgery they re-signed Peters. Not a huge sign of faith.

Wrt Tampa, Lindback is still as unknown as far as a starter, and Salo will be lucky if he plays 40 games. They really didn't change their forward group at all except to pick up Benoit Pouliot. That team really can go either way next season.

Washington got Ribeiro but they are going to lose Semin. So they are pretty much the same. Winnipeg has made a couple of solid moves, although they might lose Wellwood who was a sparkplug of their offense. There are also questions about their backup goalie. I don't see a massive improvement here.

Dread Clawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:13 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
Just thought I would open the thread with some interesting stuff to look at, I don't know how well TheFourthPeriod is trusted, but I follow their twitter and they seem to be pretty accurate.

Shows we had interest in Brodeur, Hudler, Garrison, Parenteau, Latendresse... and we have interest in Semin, Wellwood, Moore, Huselius, Colaiacovo, Kostitsyn... interesting. Wonder how accurate that is.
Parenteau was my personal fav on this list.

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:35 AM
jakethesnake23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markstrom Rules View Post
I echo the sentiment that our offense is not worse than last season. Huby replaces Sammy. I also think Howden is going to do a lot of nice things for us. All of the other forwards that we lost are basically nothings. If we add a quality forward, which I think we will, I think our offense is better next season.

Moving from Garrison to kuba is a downgrade, but not a huge one. Our goaltending is the same. The big question is how the PP will be affected by the loss of Sammy and Gary, which is a valid concern. But that doesn't mean that there can't be guys that step up from within. Also, Garrison's offensive production slowed dramatically in the 2nd half. All in all, if we add another forward, this team is about the same as last season's, with potential for internal improvement. This team can definitely make the playoffs again.

As far as Wolski goes, there's no spot for him. Half of the time he does a whole lot of nothing in regulation. I'd rather we focus on being a better regulation team so we don't have to worry so much about losing points in the SO.

As far as our division goes, I don't understand why there is so much panic about the other teams in our division up to this point. I'm baffled by all the love Carolina is getting. Yes, they acquired Staal, but they lost Sutter. Am I missing something? Sutter is a pretty good player too. Their defense still sucks and their backup is out for 6 months. They were going to let Peters go but when they found out Boucher needed surgery they re-signed Peters. Not a huge sign of faith.

Wrt Tampa, Lindback is still as unknown as far as a starter, and Salo will be lucky if he plays 40 games. They really didn't change their forward group at all except to pick up Benoit Pouliot. That team really can go either way next season.

Washington got Ribeiro but they are going to lose Semin. So they are pretty much the same. Winnipeg has made a couple of solid moves, although they might lose Wellwood who was a sparkplug of their offense. There are also questions about their backup goalie. I don't see a massive improvement here.
Im absolutely worried about all teams in the division:

1. Washington pushed the Rangers in the playoffs. Riberio is a Panther killer. Holtby may emerge as a stud. Backstrom injured for much of the season and Ovechkin way down last year. Can definately improve on last year.

2. Tampa. 2 years ago, with the same nucleus, went 1 game from the SC Final. Boast Stamkos and St. Louis. Hedmen improving.

3. Carolina. Added Staal who KILLED the Panthers last year. Best 1-2 Centre combo in the Division. Cam ward in goal and experienced defense. Faulk is a nice piece with experience and Skinner had a down year. Been down overall for a few years, its about time they had a good year.

4. Winnipeg. Lots of improving young talent in Kane, Burmistrov and Bogosian. Size and speed up front and deep from line 1-4. Serious home ice advantage.

Basic point, disregard any of these teams at your risk. I could see any of them winning the division and to cast them off at the moment would be ludicrous.

Meanwhile, and dont see any improvement from our big guys (1st line, campbell, goalies) and only a few guys who can legitimately make big strides (Kuly and Guds (the rooks cannot be definately counted on)) . We NEED the guys who performed at a high level last year them to perform like they did last year or we are busted. Any downturn will kill us.

I would feel much more comfortable if we made an offensive upgrade.

jakethesnake23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

people need to look at that list realistically..

Huselius, Langkow, Hagman, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Fehr, Mueller, Holmstrom, Fedotenko................

Chose from those

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:21 AM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post

1. Washington pushed the Rangers in the playoffs. Riberio is a Panther killer. Holtby may emerge as a stud. Backstrom injured for much of the season and Ovechkin way down last year. Can definately improve on last year.

2. Tampa. 2 years ago, with the same nucleus, went 1 game from the SC Final. Boast Stamkos and St. Louis. Hedmen improving.

3. Carolina. Added Staal who KILLED the Panthers last year. Best 1-2 Centre combo in the Division. Cam ward in goal and experienced defense. Faulk is a nice piece with experience and Skinner had a down year. Been down overall for a few years, its about time they had a good year.

4. Winnipeg. Lots of improving young talent in Kane, Burmistrov and Bogosian. Size and speed up front and deep from line 1-4. Serious home ice advantage.

Basic point, disregard any of these teams at your risk. I could see any of them winning the division and to cast them off at the moment would be ludicrous.

Meanwhile, and dont see any improvement from our big guys (1st line, campbell, goalies) and only a few guys who can legitimately make big strides (Kuly and Guds (the rooks cannot be definately counted on)) . We NEED the guys who performed at a high level last year them to perform like they did last year or we are busted. Any downturn will kill us.

1. Washington gains Ribero but loses Semin, which is a downgrade in secondary scoring. The Holtby/Neuvirth combo could be good, but could also be disastrous over a full season. Ovechkin could have better numbers, but his game seems to have changed from offensive dynamo to be a bit more responsible. They also have a new coach, again.

2. Tampa, could improve from last year but goaltending remains a question mark. Would you be comfortable with a Lindback/Garon combo? I wouldn’t be. I wouldn’t assume that basically the same 84 point team as last year is vastly improved, but they do have the potential pieces in place

3. Carolina will be much improved, no question about it from me.

4. Winnipeg, they basically added second and third-line pieces. The team is improved on paper, but they haven’t improved drastically. they also lack high-end talent like we do. their home ice advantage is over-hyped, just look at the home records from last season and it sows that they didn’t do better at home than any of the other teams in our division. they’re a good team, but I’d rather be in our position.

I’m not dismissing any of the other teams in our division, because they are all very good. All I’m saying is that they aren’t as vastly improved as some on this board seem to think and we aren’t terribly worse than we were at last year.

Some of the posters here make it seem like we’re the only team that requires our top players to be our top players. The other teams need their top guys to perform, just like we need our top guys to perform, this isn’t unique to just us.

At the same time, many are assuming that other teams’ players improve while ours stand still. I would expect Gudbranson to be much better than the bumbling rookie he was in the first half, and Kulikov to be better than the hobbling liability he was in the second half. I also expect Versteeg to improve his game with a full year as a first-liner under his belt. Bergenheim and Goc should also be better contributors if they can stay healthy, and Upshall can actually contribute…something. Dineen should be a better coach, and the team should hit the ground running having played a year together and being more familiar with each other.

I want our team to add pieces too, but it is not as dire as it looks and, let’s face it, we are a budget team right now. Our best course of action is to remain competitive for a playoff spot (which we will be), build from within, and when it makes sense financially and competitively to add the necessary pieces to become a perennial playoff team.

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:33 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panteras View Post

Huselius, Langkow, Hagman, Arnott, Langenbrunner, Fehr, Mueller, Holmstrom, Fedotenko................

Chose from those
Let's see what bjugstad decides...ithe buzz on him is phenominal and nhl ready; but if he goes gopher again ( and I wouldn't blame him)

The contradictory " we want to give juniors room so we won't overpay ufas" while on the other hand resigning clemmer Because "we don't want to rush our junior goalie" really confuses me.

Yes I know the "goalies need more time " adage just don't buy it with all of Markstroms experience. I guess it is all convenient spin.

3 months to watch all is unfold!!!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam graves View Post
Let's see what bjugstad decides...ithe buzz on him is phenominal and nhl ready; but if he goes gopher again ( and I wouldn't blame him)

The contradictory " we want to give juniors room so we won't overpay ufas" while on the other hand resigning clemmer Because "we don't want to rush our junior goalie" really confuses me.

Yes I know the "goalies need more time " adage just don't buy it with all of Markstroms experience. I guess it is all convenient spin.

3 months to watch all is unfold!!!
I'm up for giving youngsters a shot, been saying it for the longest time now that this organization doesn't take enough risks ..in my opinion Markstrom should be the backup for next season simple as that...I mean what will happen season after next? Markie and Clemmer? Wtf, doesn't make sense...the whole point was to put Markstrom as a backup to a guy like Theodore and not throw him on the fire in his first full season as a starter...well season after next if he comes up either he'll be a backup to Clemmensen (Clemms a starter lolsssss) or be a starter already (wait didn't we want to groom him first wtf?) doesn't make sense me either

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:52 AM
Tuco

Quote:

Don't want any of the free and affordable guys on that list. Assume that this is it, except for maybe Luongo.

Tuco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:56 AM
Tuco

Quote:
I'm up for giving youngsters a shot, been saying it for the longest time now that this organization doesn't take enough risks ..in my opinion Markstrom should be the backup for next season simple as that...I mean what will happen season after next? Markie and Clemmer? Wtf, doesn't make sense...the whole point was to put Markstrom as a backup to a guy like Theodore and not throw him on the fire in his first full season as a starter...well season after next if he comes up either he'll be a backup to Clemmensen (Clemms a starter lolsssss) or be a starter already (wait didn't we want to groom him first wtf?) doesn't make sense me either
It may be that Theo and Clemmer split games more equally next season. Maybe Theo can't play so many games any more? I have a feeling there's something going on regarding Theo we don't know.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:06 AM
ShootIt

I would take Mueller on a short contract.

ShootIt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:09 AM
Tuco

Quote:

I agree all it takes was to get one quality forward, I think 2C to be exact, who can finish on PP and benefit from Hubey's playmaking abilities. Unfortunately we weren't able to land him and now the UFA pool is empty (not that there was much there to begin with).

However, I think the whole issue that's being discussed here is set wrong. The goal this summer, and Tallon has said it repeatedly himself, was to get better on offense, not equally good. The question should be: are we meaningfully better offensively than last year or not?

Old
07-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Laus723
Future Now

What are the lot of you who see the sky as falling expecting? Especially since most teams have done little to nothing as well? I don't understand the mindset, it makes no sense to me. There's 3 months left until the season starts, and some of you are acting like we're already a lottery team.

07-04-2012, 11:39 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:

Chose from those
You're leaving quite a few names off of that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
1. Washington gains Ribero but loses Semin, which is a downgrade in secondary scoring. The Holtby/Neuvirth combo could be good, but could also be disastrous over a full season. Ovechkin could have better numbers, but his game seems to have changed from offensive dynamo to be a bit more responsible. They also have a new coach, again.

2. Tampa, could improve from last year but goaltending remains a question mark. Would you be comfortable with a Lindback/Garon combo? I wouldn’t be. I wouldn’t assume that basically the same 84 point team as last year is vastly improved, but they do have the potential pieces in place

3. Carolina will be much improved, no question about it from me.

4. Winnipeg, they basically added second and third-line pieces. The team is improved on paper, but they haven’t improved drastically. they also lack high-end talent like we do. their home ice advantage is over-hyped, just look at the home records from last season and it sows that they didn’t do better at home than any of the other teams in our division. they’re a good team, but I’d rather be in our position.

I’m not dismissing any of the other teams in our division, because they are all very good. All I’m saying is that they aren’t as vastly improved as some on this board seem to think and we aren’t terribly worse than we were at last year.

Some of the posters here make it seem like we’re the only team that requires our top players to be our top players. The other teams need their top guys to perform, just like we need our top guys to perform, this isn’t unique to just us.

At the same time, many are assuming that other teams’ players improve while ours stand still. I would expect Gudbranson to be much better than the bumbling rookie he was in the first half, and Kulikov to be better than the hobbling liability he was in the second half. I also expect Versteeg to improve his game with a full year as a first-liner under his belt. Bergenheim and Goc should also be better contributors if they can stay healthy, and Upshall can actually contribute…something. Dineen should be a better coach, and the team should hit the ground running having played a year together and being more familiar with each other.

I want our team to add pieces too, but it is not as dire as it looks and, let’s face it, we are a budget team right now. Our best course of action is to remain competitive for a playoff spot (which we will be), build from within, and when it makes sense financially and competitively to add the necessary pieces to become a perennial playoff team.
Totally agreed. I won't be able to say it better.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:44 AM
Meandmyself

Quote:

I was reading the teams that was interested in those players, I just want to clear one thing, Parenteau said that the Canadiens never contacted him and Bergevin said that he was having no interest in signing Jagr. So I guess that it's not really credible.

Meandmyself is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:50 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
You're leaving quite a few names off of that list.

Totally agreed. I won't be able to say it better.
Yeah, that was very well said.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:51 AM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmyself View Post
I was reading the teams that was interested in those players, I just want to clear one thing, Parenteau said that the Canadiens never contacted him and Bergevin said that he was having no interest in signing Jagr. So I guess that it's not really credible.
Tfp has almost no credibility, I can't think of anything they've gotten right.

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:53 AM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakethesnake23 View Post

You think I'm casting these teams off, like they've made massive improvements. I think they could be better, but I'm not casting them off because I don't see how they have gotten so much better and we have gotten so much worse. And part of my point was, these teams might still make more moves, as could we.

So all the other teams are going to get internal improvement and we're not? Excuse me if I don't buy that. With Huby, Howden, Kuli, Gud, even Upshall, Goc, and Markstrom, there is tons of room for internal improvement. Also, everyone always mentions Washington's and Carolina's injuries. What about ours? If Bergenheim stays healthy he could score 20+ goals, Upshall too for that matter. There's so many positive ifs in your post about other teams, but then you act like it's a foregone conclusion that we are not going to get any breaks at all.

Tampa doesn't really have the same nucleus that went deep 2 years ago. Roloson is done for, same for Ohlund, Brewer has declined, Downie is gone. Bergy and Moore have also left who were good secondary scorers. They have some of the same pieces, but it's yet to be determined how the pieces they've added or will add will do. 4 players don't take you anywhere alone.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:58 AM
angry_treefrog
T63813A

Maybe I'm in a minority, but even if there were no additional signings, I'd be pretty excited to see Huberdeau, Bjudstad & Howden next year. I'd be excited to watch Gudbranson developing into a wrecking ball.

I'd be excited if we signed a Semin, but honestly it would be just as likely to be a bust as a boon.

angry_treefrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:01 PM
Dread Clawz
Markstrom Rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuco View Post
I agree all it takes was to get one quality forward, I think 2C to be exact, who can finish on PP and benefit from Hubey's playmaking abilities. Unfortunately we weren't able to land him and now the UFA pool is empty (not that there was much there to begin with).

However, I think the whole issue that's being discussed here is set wrong. The goal this summer, and Tallon has said it repeatedly himself, was to get better on offense, not equally good. The question should be: are we meaningfully better offensively than last year or not?
When we sign another forward, our offense will be better.

The UFA pool is not empty. If Jokinen was our one saving grace, then we were in deep trouble. There are other centers out there. Wellwood or Arnott would be just as good as Jokinen. And we don't have to get a center. It would be preferable, but we can make the playoffs by adding another winger and going with Goc as our #2 again.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:05 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

Would everyone just fall over a literally die if we signed Parise? Would probably be the biggest shocks since Gretzky.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:20 PM
JonathanHuberdoh
HFBoards Partner

Send a message via AIM to JonathanHuberdoh
Just sign Semin so we can all shutup and be happy!!

Add Mueller and we have a decent 2nd line. Semin-Mueller-Hubs would be pretty good.

JonathanHuberdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:23 PM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
Minny gets Parise and Suter.

Minny fans must be in heaven haha.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote