HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Notices

What happened to Frolik?

Old
08-15-2012, 04:52 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

vCash: 500
What happened to Frolik?

Figured I would post this to keep conversation, but I really have been wondering what has happened to Frolik, I mean I have watched the Panthers since about 05-06 but really the past couple of years is where I have really paid more attention to the Panthers and hockey in general. From what I remember the kid was really good for us, I thought he would really blossom into a good 2nd line center. Why did we trade him? And why has he just fallen off the face of the earth? I really wanted him to do good in Chicago because I liked him when he was here.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:00 PM
Thunderheart

Believe we traded him to Blackhawks for Jack Skille (?) last offseason. He is on Blackhawks active roster as I think 2nd line RW.
Thunderheart

Thunderheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:10 PM
PanthersHockey1
Avs Bandwagon

thats embarrassing he is 2nd line for hawks. Another failed draft pick.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:34 PM
ShootIt

He played mostly on the 3rd line last year IIRC, on the wing.

I liked him a lot too when he first came into the NHL.

Just seemed to never progress and sort of regressed his last year here.

IIRC Chicago fans aren't happy with him or his 2.33mil cap hit. Other than him showing up in the playoffs, he has been the same guy we had in 2010.

I'm not sure what happened after Tallon made that comment, but, he sure took a nose dive to start that awful season. Head down, not doing much of anything.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 05:39 PM
I May Be Wrong
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to I May Be Wrong
I think a big reason we dealt him was for financial purposes, but I think there are other reasons as well. He was due for a raise that the Panthers thought he wasn't worth.

In my personal opinion: I think he is a weak minded player. He slumps hard and can't get out of them. Once things start going badly for him, it just snow balls. He loses all of his confidence to the point that he is good for going out and getting destroyed by a big check.

He is incredibly soft. As aforementioned gets destroyed by at least one big check a game. He gets pushed around. His shot in my opinion is average at best, and maybe a tad below. No velocity on it. He is a playmaker first, but even then he was never making beautiful plays on the ice. So what was he really doing for us? I don't ever recall his defensive game being something to brag about, at least in FLA.

It stinks that it turned out this way, but it did. I had high hopes for him.

I May Be Wrong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 06:13 PM
ShootIt

His defense was meh. He was just about useless for us his final season here.
If he didn't contribute to us offensively, he was a plug on the ice.

His shot never did improve, and IIRC he wasn't a player that would willing to go to the front of the net for his goals.

Olesz in 2004 and Frolik in 2006, talk about some disappointing forward draft picks.

And yes, money was a factor. Last thing Tallon wanted was another Olesz clone for us.

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 09:44 PM
Markstrom Rules
Sup

He is not a 2nd liner for the Hawks. Hes in Quenneville's doghouse and Hawks fans want him gone. At least Skille does something useful and makes us a tougher team to play against

Markstrom Rules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:11 PM
Dr Beinfest

He was incredibly soft, and would disappear for long spans.

At the time of his trade, he'd actually become significantly worse from the season before.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-15-2012, 11:48 PM
gizmo12688

vCash: 50
I remember people being mad over this trade initially. Funny how things kinda worked out in the end for us. Skille may not have much offensive talent, but he's anything but soft. He creates some chances and draws penalties well. Great for the bottom 6.

gizmo12688 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:22 AM
Panteras
perennial loser

vCash: 536
he sucked, that's what happened

Panteras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 06:22 AM
Boooooth10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo12688 View Post
I remember people being mad over this trade initially. Funny how things kinda worked out in the end for us. Skille may not have much offensive talent, but he's anything but soft. He creates some chances and draws penalties well. Great for the bottom 6.
haha, I know I was pissed at the time of the trade. Now I'm pretty happy with it. I like what Skille brings.

So much for giving up a top 6 forward and a future starting goalie for a scrub 4th liner.

Boooooth10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 12:43 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I was also mad when we made the trade because while it was clear that Frolik was incredibly soft, I felt it was something he could work on with age and become a pretty respectable player in this league. Since the trade, his value on the depth chart has only gone further down and while Skille isn't close to one of the most important players on any team, he plays the 4th liner grinder role well.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-16-2012, 01:04 PM
harv3317

problem with skille is he's always injured!!! would also be nice if he could captalize on some of his chances!

harv3317 is offline   Reply With Quote