HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Florida Panthers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Panthers Free Agency 2012! Part 2

Old
07-26-2012, 05:16 PM
Georgia Panther

vCash: 500
On the same day the Carolina Hurricanes signed Alex Semin to a one year contract...

Florida Panthers Executive VP & General Manager Dale Tallon announced today that the club has agreed to terms on one-year contracts with LW Eric Selleck and C Casey Wellman.

Good to see we're keeping up with the Jones's!

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 06:29 PM
AaronEkbald
2nd to last in goals

Carolina added another diver to the pack.

jk, their top six looks good now.

Last edited by AaronEkbald: 07-26-2012 at 06:57 PM.
AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:01 PM
pantherbot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Georgia Panther View Post
On the same day the Carolina Hurricanes signed Alex Semin to a one year contract...

Florida Panthers Executive VP & General Manager Dale Tallon announced today that the club has agreed to terms on one-year contracts with LW Eric Selleck and C Casey Wellman.

Good to see we're keeping up with the Jones's!
we've had selleck on our team for a couple years now and wellman was signed a few days ago, but i give you an A for your continuing efforts to disparage our team

good signing by carolina, wonder how the rest of the team will work out though...

pantherbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:26 PM
Clint

Send a message via AIM to Clint
God dammit. God ****ing dammit.

Clint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 07:53 PM
Georgia Panther

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantherbot View Post
we've had selleck on our team for a couple years now and wellman was signed a few days ago, but i give you an A for your continuing efforts to disparage our team

good signing by carolina, wonder how the rest of the team will work out though...
Well someone finally told San Antonio that today because the Rampage just tweeted the announcement of it.

Georgia Panther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:45 PM
FlaPnthrsPunk
Our Time Will Come

I think the Canes overpaid quite a bit, but the news of this kind of scared me a bit because this does make the Canes offense much better. Even though their defense is pretty poor, I'd say they're certainly in the running for the division.

I don't think the Caps really improved much, but if Ovechkin and Backstrom play their best, I wouldn't be surprised to see them win it either. While Lindback will help the Lightning in goal compared to the past, I don't think they're a for sure playoff team. The Jets scare me a bit because they did add some pieces to possibly get them over the hump to get into the postseason. They were right on our tails throughout most of last season.

The division is definitely much better overall than it was a year ago, but at this point, I just don't see us winning it very easily with four or possibly all five teams being competitive.

FlaPnthrsPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 08:57 PM
RainingRats

I can't believe anyone thinks the Canes overpaid. They got a potential 40 goal scorer on a one year contract in free agency for not a lot at all. There's no financial risk whatsoever. The Suter, Weber, and Parise contracts are 100000000000X worse.

RainingRats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:20 PM
MillarWithASave
HUBY DOOBY SHUTUP

I wouldn't say that the SE division has improved, the only real player that was moved from a different division that really will make a difference is Jordan Staal.

MillarWithASave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:56 PM
AaronEkbald
2nd to last in goals

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillarWithASave View Post
I wouldn't say that the SE division has improved, the only real player that was moved from a different division that really will make a difference is Jordan Staal.
You don't think Ribeiro will make a difference on the caps by taking some of the scoring pressure off backstrom's line? Not to mention improving their powerplay as well.

AaronEkbald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 09:57 PM
Dr Beinfest

Yeah, there's no such thing as an overpayment on a 1 year contract.

Well... yes there is. But within reason, I mean.

Dr Beinfest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:19 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Send a message via AIM to CatscratchFever
There's still a lot of worrying about our division. Ever stop to think that our rival teams are trying their best to keep up with US? The plan was made clear from the start. Put together a competitive team while building through the draft. We exceeded expectations a bit, and caught many by surprise. WE WERE TOLD not to expect a free agent splash until the team was closer to a cup. There's so many things to be excited about in the future of this team. I CANNOT wait to see Huberdeau in action. The continued growth of Gudbranson. I think our rivals are worried, and they should be. Our best players will be coming from within. Sit back and watch the season unfold, you just may be surprised. Again.

CatscratchFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:23 PM
PanthersHockey1
Bond.

screw worrying about the division (Which we barely won on the last day) I am still trying to figure out a way that pencils us into the top 8 in the conference next season.

PanthersHockey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 10:26 PM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
screw worrying about the division (Which we barely won on the last day) I am still trying to figure out a way that pencils us into the top 8 in the conference next season.
That's the beautiful part of sports. You can't pencil anybody in. Guess who put us in the playoffs(not even considering 3rd) last season? Nobody, that's who. You just can't say this team or that team is for sure. WE JUST DON'T KNOW.

Old
07-26-2012, 10:38 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatscratchFever View Post
There's still a lot of worrying about our division. Ever stop to think that our rival teams are trying their best to keep up with US? The plan was made clear from the start. Put together a competitive team while building through the draft. We exceeded expectations a bit, and caught many by surprise. WE WERE TOLD not to expect a free agent splash until the team was closer to a cup. There's so many things to be excited about in the future of this team. I CANNOT wait to see Huberdeau in action. The continued growth of Gudbranson. I think our rivals are worried, and they should be. Our best players will be coming from within. Sit back and watch the season unfold, you just may be surprised. Again.
Quote:
That's the beautiful part of sports. You can't pencil anybody in. Guess who put us in the playoffs(not even considering 3rd) last season? Nobody, that's who. You just can't say this team or that team is for sure. WE JUST DON'T KNOW.
Couple great posts, Nuge! I agree as well. There's a lot of things that need to fit together next season, but if they do, we're still the team to beat. I see this team growing the same way Chicago did, hell, Semin could be next year's Hossa. Plenty could go wrong, but so many *****ed about this team not taking chances, not risking enough, and playing it 'safe.' Well, they're not this coming season, and they didn't last season. I'm looking forward to next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanthersHockey1 View Post
As the Nuge just said, there's a reason you don't look at the paper and you play the games. Look at the Eagles...dream team?? Lol

07-26-2012, 11:05 PM
StrangeVision
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I'd rather be a team who most believe will make it rather than one who might fluke into it.

StrangeVision is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Laus723
Future Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrangeVision View Post
I'd rather be a team who most believe will make it rather than one who might fluke into it.
So, we're not working our way to that??

Laus723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:14 PM
LUUUUUIS
2mins for Panthering

Dangit, Catscratch and Laus! We're trying to panic here... keep your rational thoughts to yourselves!

LUUUUUIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-26-2012, 11:18 PM
Dineen Youngblood

I feel like every team in our division was like wtf, the Panthers made it? Never again lol
But I am excited to see how we do.

Dineen Youngblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 02:25 AM
p9ers

Quote:
I had the Panthers finishing 6 last year. But to be honest for the past ten years I was always putting us in the playoff ...

I have a question guys. Why is everyone so enamor with Gudbranson, while dismissing Ellerby at the same time, when they are not so far appart statistically and physically. (leadership is quite different though) I just don't see that big a difference in their game. The biggest difference is that Gud is playing backed up by the coach and the organization, while Ellerby is playing on an ejectable seat, which certainly affect is confidence level and the way he plays.

p9ers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:37 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
Quote:
Originally Posted by p9ers View Post
I had the Panthers finishing 6 last year. But to be honest for the past ten years I was always putting us in the playoff ...

I have a question guys. Why is everyone so enamor with Gudbranson, while dismissing Ellerby at the same time, when they are not so far appart statistically and physically. (leadership is quite different though) I just don't see that big a difference in their game. The biggest difference is that Gud is playing backed up by the coach and the organization, while Ellerby is playing on an ejectable seat, which certainly affect is confidence level and the way he plays.
No way is Gudbranson and Ellerby similar physically. I think the last time we had a Dman like Gudbranson on the blueline, considering his age as well, was Jovo back in the 90s. Gudbranson is just a ******* to play against, and once he fills out that frame even more, he is going to be as physical as Pronger was in his prime. No way do I even compare the two of them. He might not be that 50-60 point Dman, but Gudbranson is going to be one of the better all-around Dmen when he is in his mid 20s.

pb1300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 07:51 AM
Knightmare

Dont forget that we there can also be an improvement simply due to our roster now having spent a full year with each other. Remember how worried we were about chemistry last year? And we proved to gel well anyway. Should be even better this year. Especially now that Dineen and his system are set in place. Dineen will also be a more experienced coach wont he?

I'm not saying we'll win the division again. I think we'll be borderline on making the playoffs, but I think we'll be a lot more competitive than some of you are suggesting

Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:25 AM
Egblad
I May Be The Stig

Send a message via MSN to Egblad
I like the make up of our team for this upcoming season. Do we have the big names? Nope. But I have a feeling we will be good. Huberdeau and Mueller are big injections of talent into our line up, and gives us two lines to worry about instead of one. That cannot be understated.

I think we will be ok.

Egblad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 09:33 AM
adam graves
Panthers 17yr sth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gudbrunson View Post
Dangit, Catscratch and Laus! We're trying to panic here... keep your rational thoughts to yourselves!
All our reactions make sense...we are once again a team that can finish anywhere from 3rd to 10th without surprising anyone. Not enough to be a shoe in, too much to be dismissed; a formula for fan anxiety and a fun season!

adam graves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 10:08 AM
ShootIt

My only "worry" about this team is the 2nd line center spot.

I was hoping Bjug was going to sign, but, he decided to go back to the NCAA.

Don't feel comfortable with Goc, Matthias, Smithson and Wellman as our centers behind Weiss.

Wish we could of gone after Riberio or even Jokinen().

ShootIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-27-2012, 11:49 AM
CatscratchFever
Cup or bust!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShootIt View Post
My only "worry" about this team is the 2nd line center spot.

I was hoping Bjug was going to sign, but, he decided to go back to the NCAA.

Don't feel comfortable with Goc, Matthias, Smithson and Wellman as our centers behind Weiss.

Wish we could of gone after Riberio or even Jokinen().
Once again, who was that center last season?