HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ex-Canucks Discussions - Part IV

Closed Thread

Old
06-03-2013, 11:02 PM
mossey3535

vCash: 500
I hate to say this because I loved him as a player but this might just be further evidence that Stevie Y doesn't know what he's doing.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:10 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
I hate to say this because I loved him as a player but this might just be further evidence that Stevie Y doesn't know what he's doing.
He's clearly trying to insulate his rookie head coach with NHL experience on his bench. Although Bowness did a poor job with the defense this past year, they still finished top 10 in GAA after placing 4th and 1st in that category the two previous years.

It's hard to get good, experienced assistants, I wouldn't hold this one against Stevie Y just yet. With that said, for the Lightning's sake I hope he does a better job for next year than he did this last year.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:47 PM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigsaw99 View Post
rip tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCanuck View Post
Stamkos better become a 100 goal scorer if they are gonna outscore their opponents now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoolChamp View Post
poor tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucks5551 View Post
Poor Tampa
Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
Ridiculous.

Bowness is one of the longest-serving and most respected assistant coaches in the NHL for a reason. He's been part of a coaching staff here that's won 5 straight division titles, 2 President's Trophies, and ran the defensive pairings on a team that won the Jennings and had the NHL's best PK 2 years ago.

The fact that the general consensus here seems to be that Vigneault and Bowness are horrible coaches who will be a blight on their new teams just speaks to how ridiculously spoiled this fanbase is and how skewed their perceptions on this franchise and the league are.

Good hiring by TB. Excellent experienced guy to have alongside a rookie head coach.

Old
06-03-2013, 11:54 PM
SighReally

Anyone who leaves the Canucks organization is destined to fail.

Or at least that's the impression I'm getting here...

Bowness is a solid assistant coach and he'll do well in Tampa in my opinion, considering the amazing defense we had in the earlier days that he had to work with (but of course everyone's memories are too short for that).

Old
06-04-2013, 12:38 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SighReally View Post
Anyone who leaves the Canucks organization is destined to fail.
Same with the ones that enter.

Old
06-04-2013, 12:50 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
Ridiculous.

Bowness is one of the longest-serving and most respected assistant coaches in the NHL for a reason. He's been part of a coaching staff here that's won 5 straight division titles, 2 President's Trophies, and ran the defensive pairings on a team that won the Jennings and had the NHL's best PK 2 years ago.

The fact that the general consensus here seems to be that Vigneault and Bowness are horrible coaches who will be a blight on their new teams just speaks to how ridiculously spoiled this fanbase is and how skewed their perceptions on this franchise and the league are.

Good hiring by TB. Excellent experienced guy to have alongside a rookie head coach.
It's kind of funny reading this board. AV sucks, Bowness sucks, Brown sucks, Gillis is useless and sucks, the scouts suck, Luongo sucks, Bieksa sucks, Edler sucks, Garrison sucked but now we'll pretend nobody said that, the Sedins suck, Burrows is too old and overpaid, Kesler is ruined and will suck from now on, Booth sucks, Raymond sucks, Higgins is overpaid, Schroeder is AWESOME, Lapierre sucks now, Ebbett sucks, Weise sucks, Sestito sucks, Kassian sucks and they'd be winners if they'd kept Hodgson even though everyone else apparently sucks, the fans suck, the refs suck, CBC sucks, TSN sucks, Sportsnet sucks, CKNW sucks, 1040 sucks, the NHL sucks and is out to get The Canucks even though the team apparently is horrible anyway, Hansen - you're cool.

I'd hate to see what people think of the franchises that have been finishing below the Canucks the past while.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:03 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertKron View Post
It's kind of funny reading this board. AV sucks, Bowness sucks, Brown sucks, Gillis is useless and sucks, the scouts suck, Luongo sucks, Bieksa sucks, Edler sucks, Garrison sucked but now we'll pretend nobody said that, the Sedins suck, Burrows is too old and overpaid, Kesler is ruined and will suck from now on, Booth sucks, Raymond sucks, Higgins is overpaid, Schroeder is AWESOME, Lapierre sucks now, Ebbett sucks, Weise sucks, Sestito sucks, Kassian sucks and they'd be winners if they'd kept Hodgson even though everyone else apparently sucks, the fans suck, the refs suck, CBC sucks, TSN sucks, Sportsnet sucks, CKNW sucks, 1040 sucks, the NHL sucks and is out to get The Canucks even though the team apparently is horrible anyway, Hansen - you're cool.

I'd hate to see what people think of the franchises that have been finishing below the Canucks the past while.
They suck.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:04 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

Quote:

Actually, Hansen sucks too. Also, Ballard is apparently a victim.

The only person who hasn't had **** thrown his way is Corrado. And we all know it's only a matter of time.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:05 AM
RobertKron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post

The only person who hasn't had **** thrown his way is Corrado. And we all know it's only a matter of time.
Unless they trade him. Then he'll be the missing piece to dragging the rest of these beer leaguers to the championship.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:07 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Bowness was one of the guys that vouched for the acquisition of Ballard. That's on him and Gilman.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Bowness was one of the guys that vouched for the acquisition of Ballard. That's on him and Gilman.
Even ten years from now we will be debating whether it was the GM's acquisition of Ballard or the coaches treatment of him that was the real issue.

I've got no problem with Bowness vouching for him.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:16 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch View Post
It really is amazing that the one guy who actually really sucks - Ballard - and has been a disaster for the franchise seems to have most of the fanbase backing him.

The guys who have carried this team to unprecedented success over the past 3-4 years, not so much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilch
All prospects aged 21 or under are AWESOME!

When the best of these prospects reach the NHL and experience growing pains for their first few years, they SUCK!

When they have their breakout year at age 24-25 ... APPRECIATION THREAD!

When fans get bored of them aged 27, they SUCK and should be traded for 18-20 y/o prospects who are AWESOME. Repeat cycle.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:17 AM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
Even ten years from now we will be debating whether it was the GM's acquisition of Ballard or the coaches treatment of him that was the real issue.

I've got no problem with Bowness vouching for him.
I have no problem vouching for him but maybe they should have played him more than they did or simplified his game. I don't believe he's as bad as his time in Van. And I wasn't even a fan of his acquisition

Old
06-04-2013, 01:22 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

They only thing that doesn't suck is where this thread just headed.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:25 AM
RobertKron

Fin sucks. As does Gary in accounting.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:25 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
I have no problem vouching for him but maybe they should have played him more than they did or simplified his game. I don't believe he's as bad as his time in Van. And I wasn't even a fan of his acquisition
I completely agree with this.

My point is that we'll never really know though. It can aways be debated.

What I will remember 10 years from now is the fact that he was a healthy scratch in the finals when we we're without Rome and Erhroff was playing injured.

Old
06-04-2013, 01:28 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddy Punch Clock View Post
They suck.
Quote:
Fin sucks.

Old
06-04-2013, 02:53 AM
David71

What did everyone think of Matt Cooke during his tenure as a Canuck? I remember him being called up from the minors one time, and he was a pretty good agitator and can score. I know he has a reputation for being a dirty player. Hitting guys with their head down. When he got traded to the caps? I read that some players didn't like when he hits but doesn't back himself up and teammates always defended him. Coach v probably didn't like him either if I recalled

Old
06-04-2013, 03:03 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by David71 View Post
What did everyone think of Matt Cooke during his tenure as a Canuck? I remember him being called up from the minors one time, and he was a pretty good agitator and can score. I know he has a reputation for being a dirty player. Hitting guys with their head down. When he got traded to the caps? I read that some players didn't like when he hits but doesn't back himself up and teammates always defended him. Coach v probably didn't like him either if I recalled
Cooke was extremely well-liked for the vast majority of his time here, and was one of the team's most popular players during the WCE era.

The fanbase turned on him during the 2007-08 season due to two events a) he looked extremely tentative about going after Jesse Boulerice after Boulerice tomahawked Kesler with his stick and b) a Calgary game where Cooke flattened a Flame and Ohlund ended up fighting Phaneuf in the ensuing scrum. It then became an accepted thing that 'teammates always had to fight Cooke's battles' despite the fact that this was the only instance of this happening that I recall.

The coaching staff also seemed to sour on him as that season went along and then he was moved.

Nobody in the fanbase ever considered Cooke a 'dirty' player when he was here - the only issue people had was that he didn't fight, and that was only in his last season. In fact, one of Tom Larscheid's signature phrases during broadcasts was 'Everyone loves the Cooker!' ... and it was generally true.

There has been a ridiculous amount of revisionist history in terms of opinions on Cooke since he left here. Based on what you read now, you'd think he was one of the most hated Canucks of all time, and the exact opposite was true.

Old
06-04-2013, 03:11 AM
David71

Quote:
Cooke was extremely well-liked for the vast majority of his time here, and was one of the team's most popular players during the WCE era.

The fanbase turned on him during the 2007-08 season due to two events a) he looked extremely tentative about going after Jesse Boulerice after Boulerice tomahawked Kesler with his stick and b) a Calgary game where Cooke flattened a Flame and Ohlund ended up fighting Phaneuf in the ensuing scrum. It then became an accepted thing that 'teammates always had to fight Cooke's battles' despite the fact that this was the only instance of this happening that I recall.

The coaching staff also seemed to sour on him as that season went along and then he was moved.

Nobody in the fanbase ever considered Cooke a 'dirty' player when he was here - the only issue people had was that he didn't fight, and that was only in his last season. In fact, one of Tom Larscheid's signature phrases during broadcasts was 'Everyone loves the Cooker!' ... and it was generally true.

There has been a ridiculous amount of revisionist history in terms of opinions on Cooke since he left here. Based on what you read now, you'd think he was one of the most hated Canucks of all time, and the exact opposite was true.
He wasn't the most hated Canucks of all time. Like you said a likable player. But he sometimes doesn't stick up for himself. That's what pissed me off the most watching him play. Glade he was traded.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:08 AM
RobertKron

Quote:

I don't think Cooke was on the ice at the time. From the video it looks like it was Raymond and Shannon, if I have my numbers right.

And opinions started to turn on Cooke, IMO, after he held out during training camp to get a contract done and got that multi-year 1.5 or whatever mil deal.

Old
06-04-2013, 04:58 AM
Reverend Mayhem
CRJ + RNH = Sex

Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Cookie's always been a pretty dirty player, but mostly under the radar dirty. Pittsburgh Cooke has been flagrantly dirty pre 2011/12. Doesn't mean he wasn't loved for amazing work ethic, being a huge pest to the other team, and a knack for being in the right place at the right time. He was the WCE's Burrows.

Old
06-04-2013, 05:38 AM
Canucks5551

Quote:
Ridiculous.

I don't think Vigneault is a horrible coach. In fact, I think he's quite decent, despite some flaws. However, I took issue with the way Bowness managed the defensive pairings right from the start. I'm sure everyone has heard the arguments about the defensive mismanagement by now. Outside of Vancouver, his record on others teams has been quite poor, so If you want to point to team success as a barometer of ability for Bowness, it doesn't exactly look good on him. His strong record with Vancouver is the anomaly.

Old
06-04-2013, 06:14 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

Cooke went from cheap and annoying to dirty to vicious. He was a hit like Shaw, a bit on the edge or but not out to injure people with brutal headshots. He just kept getting worse after he was traded.

Old
06-04-2013, 11:28 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

I think Cooke's "turtling" started to wear thin on his team mates... fans too.

Closed Thread