HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rather than wishing Lambo gone, how about a comeback?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
07-04-2012, 09:30 AM
  #26
GordieHoweHatTrick
Registered User
 
GordieHoweHatTrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 12,880
vCash: 500
He was probably the worst Maple Leaf all of last season

GordieHoweHatTrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:43 AM
  #27
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main
 
indigobuffalo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Winnipeg MB
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,925
vCash: 500
Agree with both sides. Lombardi is a good player but he isn't filling a need on this team. Adding McClement cemented in the fate for Lombardi to be out of here, probably prior to training camp.

He was part of the Franson deal as a cap dump. We gave up Lebda for Pete's sakes. The Leafs never expected him to play again, and we got a few goals out of him but that was just a bonus to acquiring Franson.

Flipping Lombardi for something, probably a 3rd, would be insanely good asset management.

No matter what we do with Lombardi, it is a win-win for us.

Even if he stays another year and plays in a filler role for any injuries. Still a good option.

indigobuffalo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:54 AM
  #28
Bob Loblawbrovsky
The Boston Racists
 
Bob Loblawbrovsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 3,690
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by number72 View Post
I hope he plays well enough to be traded at the deadline.
This would be ideal.

Bob Loblawbrovsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 09:56 AM
  #29
BlueBomber76
Registered User
 
BlueBomber76's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: M-City
Country: Canada
Posts: 704
vCash: 500
Big Lombo fan, but the time has come to give his spot to someone who will potentially be at his skill level (in his prime) in the next year or so.

It's time to build the team now in order for the kids that will be playing to build that chemistry. Lombo is in a contract year and I doubt very highly that Burke has plans to sign him to an extension.

BlueBomber76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:27 AM
  #30
questhockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 480
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Gilmour View Post
This. Lombardi is a top 6 player that doesn't fit into a checking role. Our second line is spoken for and our first line needs a big center with size and talent and Lombardi is not that. I think that is why we would want to see him moved rather than be used in a role he is not suited for and become a liability.
In the past I would have agreed with the bolded statement, but after watching every NJD playoff game, and seeing

Bernier 6' 2"
Gionta 5" 11"
Carter 6' 2"

I'd like to see leafs 4th line look like this

Ashton 6'3 -Lombardi 5'11 - Brown 5'11 plays like he's 6'4
renegotiate Lombardi next season to around $1.75 CAP, and he fits role.

Lombardi healthy could play like Gionta, tons of speed, doesn't hit hard, just always fast forcheck and rubs guys out. Plus defensively covers for Brown/Ashton when they go for big hit.

NJD 4th line was by far best in playoffs so why not rethink Lombardi's role. He doesn't have to be huge hitter, just fast and defensive, which I am sure he could pull off easily.

questhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:35 AM
  #31
Tony Clifton Leaf
A Mouthful
 
Tony Clifton Leaf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,263
vCash: 201
I wish Lombardi all the best, but we don't have room for him.

Our forwards entering next season, as of right now:

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
JVR-Grabo-Kulie
Macarthur-Connolly/Mcclement-Frattin
Komarov-Steckel/Mcclement-Brown
Lombardi Kadri


You can't have a 4th liner making over 3M in the cap era. He just doesn't fit, especially considering the fact that I'd like to see Kadri have a shot at a top-6 role once an injury inevitably occurs. Hopefully another team is willing to take a chance on him, or else I can see him finishing his contract in the minors. It's really too bad, because he's a good guy and obviously his play has declined through no fault of his own.

Tony Clifton Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:36 AM
  #32
Pyrophorus
Registered User
 
Pyrophorus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Eastern GTA
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,167
vCash: 500
Send a message via MSN to Pyrophorus Send a message via Yahoo to Pyrophorus Send a message via Skype™ to Pyrophorus
If he can get back to his 19g form...sure thing.

He is in a crunch situation.

Pyrophorus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 11:19 AM
  #33
Kirkpatrick
Registered User
 
Kirkpatrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ottawa
Country: Canada
Posts: 692
vCash: 500
Lombardi having a strong bounce-backseason can be nothing but beneficial for the team, and a nice story for cementing his recovery from serious injury. I'd love to see it, and I expect him to be more effective come next season, wherever he ends up by the end of it.

Kirkpatrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:27 PM
  #34
Mowerman
Registered User
 
Mowerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Now THAT is laughable. Lombo nation, who knew?

Worst forward on the team last year, he killed everyone who had to play with him.
Because any of Lombardi's failures last year weren't explainable due to the unfortunate circumstances surrounding him, and these circumstances certainly haven't evaporated since.

Outside of a few people who were fortunate enough to have information regarding the health and progress of Lombardi, the general consensus for quite a while was that Lombardi wouldn't be ready for opening night and likely would be lucky to see ice last season (I had information to suggest otherwise, and provided that to the tune of mockery, but that isn't particularly relevant so meh). Lombardi recovered considerably well and better than most expected, but there were serious repercussions as a result of what kept him out for essentially an entire season and most of last year's offseason in the first place. Lombardi wasn't in the shape that he would ideally strive to be in, and missing an entire year while not being able to properly condition and train really does hamper ones ability to connect to the pace and timing of playing the highest calibre of professional hockey available outside of international competitions.

There was obviously going to be some sort of struggle due to circumstances regarding his injury. We knew this, the struggle is explained. But when the circumstances fade, it isn't logical to expect the struggles to continue. There's nothing to suggest it, and his body of work in the league up until his struggles point towards a comeback. To suggest otherwise on the basis of him having one year of adversity that can be reasonably explained is simply absurd. I see no reason why we should assume Lombardi is going to fail when the reasons for his failures last year have evaporated and all the reasons for his success in this league (which certainly outweigh his failures) remain. It simply doesn't make sense.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:30 PM
  #35
Mowerman
Registered User
 
Mowerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,567
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by questhockey View Post
In the past I would have agreed with the bolded statement, but after watching every NJD playoff game, and seeing

Bernier 6' 2"
Gionta 5" 11"
Carter 6' 2"

I'd like to see leafs 4th line look like this

Ashton 6'3 -Lombardi 5'11 - Brown 5'11 plays like he's 6'4
renegotiate Lombardi next season to around $1.75 CAP, and he fits role.

Lombardi healthy could play like Gionta, tons of speed, doesn't hit hard, just always fast forcheck and rubs guys out. Plus defensively covers for Brown/Ashton when they go for big hit.

NJD 4th line was by far best in playoffs so why not rethink Lombardi's role. He doesn't have to be huge hitter, just fast and defensive, which I am sure he could pull off easily.
Lombardi is not a fourth liner, nor will he be for an extended period of time. He'll simply go somewhere that appreciates what he brings to a team rather than signing for considerably less to be severely underutilized.

Mowerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:32 PM
  #36
Kessely Snipes
Great White North
 
Kessely Snipes's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Regina, SK
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,443
vCash: 500
I want him to succeed, but I just don't see it being in Toronto. Obviously he would never be in the top six, and he is too soft for bottom six.

I remember reading a thread in the trade talk board and some Phoenix fans said they would take him back. Too bad none of the people on the board are the GM

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:34 PM
  #37
Busher Jackson
4x 1st Team Allstar
 
Busher Jackson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 459
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I always thought Lombo was a one dimensional softie when he was in Calgary, dazzling with speed, but no finish and little else. He had one Jason Blake year in Phoenix, it was a fluke, there is no return to form coming. What really kills me, where was some leadership last year with our young guys? When it was all falling apart, Lombo did nothing to lead, nothing. Can't leave soon enough and anyone who wants this stiff back deserves a LOSING team.
Good Comment hit the bullseye.

Busher Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:42 PM
  #38
Leahcim
Registered User
 
Leahcim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 310
vCash: 500
The amount of money he makes is currently disproportionate to his skill level. The role which he will most likely play can be done by a cheaper player. However, his trade value is non-existent so we'll have to hope he does well this year and get rid of him by deadline.

Leahcim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:45 PM
  #39
ITM
Registered User
 
ITM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Country: Canada
Posts: 951
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckOutHere View Post
I see both him and Connolly having better years wherever they play. Both of them are in contract years.
Wouldn't be the first time a newcomer to Toronto crapped on the rug his first year in only to thrive the next ie Kubina.

ITM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:07 PM
  #40
Tak7
Registered User
 
Tak7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: GTA or the UK
Posts: 6,763
vCash: 500
I think both Connolly & Lombardi will improve on last season and offer more to the team.

But what they offer will be limited. The problem I have, is that what they offer can be had by other players for a fraction of the price.

I wish them both well - Connolly in particular got a real bad wrap here last year. But for what they will contribute, it's hard to ignore the fact that we could have exactly that for a fraction of the less cost.

Also - I don't see Lombardi making the team period next year. Straight to the Marlies in my opinion, even more so with the acquisition of McClement.

Tak7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:09 PM
  #41
rimshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North of South Mtn.
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrontalLombardomy View Post
Because any of Lombardi's failures last year weren't explainable due to the unfortunate circumstances surrounding him, and these circumstances certainly haven't evaporated since.

Outside of a few people who were fortunate enough to have information regarding the health and progress of Lombardi, the general consensus for quite a while was that Lombardi wouldn't be ready for opening night and likely would be lucky to see ice last season (I had information to suggest otherwise, and provided that to the tune of mockery, but that isn't particularly relevant so meh). Lombardi recovered considerably well and better than most expected, but there were serious repercussions as a result of what kept him out for essentially an entire season and most of last year's offseason in the first place. Lombardi wasn't in the shape that he would ideally strive to be in, and missing an entire year while not being able to properly condition and train really does hamper ones ability to connect to the pace and timing of playing the highest calibre of professional hockey available outside of international competitions.

There was obviously going to be some sort of struggle due to circumstances regarding his injury. We knew this, the struggle is explained. But when the circumstances fade, it isn't logical to expect the struggles to continue. There's nothing to suggest it, and his body of work in the league up until his struggles point towards a comeback. To suggest otherwise on the basis of him having one year of adversity that can be reasonably explained is simply absurd. I see no reason why we should assume Lombardi is going to fail when the reasons for his failures last year have evaporated and all the reasons for his success in this league (which certainly outweigh his failures) remain. It simply doesn't make sense.
Excellent analysis! Lombo brings speed and skill, something that Leaf fans have been screaming for. He had a devastating injury that should have left him sidelined ALL year. Instead, he shows tremendous courage by coming back early but unable to play at his normal high level. For this he gets the boo-birds on his back.

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:13 PM
  #42
Leafs87
Mr. Steal Your Job
 
Leafs87's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Richmond Hill
Country: Romania
Posts: 4,500
vCash: 500
Thats like hoping Gomez rebounds. Concussions ruin careers, and this is case in point

Leafs87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:15 PM
  #43
Rinzler
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Mississauga
Country: Canada
Posts: 2,902
vCash: 500
I hope Lombardi makes a comeback, but I don't think he'll fit on the Leafs bottom 6. I think he might get buried in the AHL if he doesn't look good in camp.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:24 PM
  #44
rimshot
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: North of South Mtn.
Posts: 490
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafs87 View Post
Thats like hoping Gomez rebounds. Concussions ruin careers, and this is case in point
So Sid the Kid is doomed?

rimshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:26 PM
  #45
SeenSchenn2
Have Faith GLG
 
SeenSchenn2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Thornhill, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 13,684
vCash: 500
I think it's more likely that Timmy Connolly has a rebound year, well because he's not a bad player by any means, just overpaid (then again, in Leaf Nation everyone is overpaid ). When he wasn't contributing offensively, he was extremely reliable defensively, on the PK, blocking shots etc.

I'd love to see what him and Reemer can do this season.

SeenSchenn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:29 PM
  #46
ponder
Registered User
 
ponder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,626
vCash: 500
I'd like to see him bounce back, but he was pretty awful last year, arguably our worst player. Which of these guys is he going to be better than?

Kessel
Lupul
Bozak
JVR
Grabo
MacArthur
Kulemin
McClement
Kadri
Frattin
Connolly

That's already 11 forwards ahead of him, and he's certainly not a 4th liner. Even if we deal/waive Connolly, that's still 10 guys ahead of him. We're trying to get bigger, tougher and harder to play against, Lombardi is small, soft and afraid of contact, I just don't see how he fits in. I hope he bounces back SOMEWHERE, but I don't think it'll be with the Leafs.

ponder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
  #47
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,450
vCash: 500
With all of the players that the Leafs are banking on to have better seasons, it will inevitably become a train wreck.

So if you don't have Lombardi penciled in for a top 6 role, then he won't work in the Leafs line-up. As mentioned here, he's not a checker and never will be. He's a below average #2 centreman, that can kill penalties and change momentum of a shift with his speed. But guess what? The Leafs already have a #2 centreman and don't need any more.

I'm still a huge Lombardi fan and I really believe that he could fill into a #1 centre role for a couple games during a season and not look out of place. But he will look out of place on the 3rd line and that's where he's going to be playing.

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:56 PM
  #48
Kyle J
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 152
vCash: 500
This thread is essentially asking for something that is not possible, like saying "Instead of hoping to trade up for the #1 overall pick, why don't we just hope Kadri turns into Stamkos"

Christ.

Kyle J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:56 PM
  #49
Kb21
Registered User
 
Kb21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto
Posts: 1,389
vCash: 500
not enough roster spots for him to try attempt a comeback with this team, we need to promote 1-2 rookies this season to FT duties on our team. he is better of shipped to a team like PHX where they have space to allow him to regain his old form.

Kb21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:57 PM
  #50
showtime8
Registered User
 
showtime8's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,450
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle J View Post
This thread is essentially asking for something that is not possible, like saying "Instead of hoping to trade up for the #1 overall pick, why don't we just hope Kadri turns into Stamkos"

Christ.
You don't think that a player can come off a huge injury and rebound to be a good player?

showtime8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:05 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.