HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

On Grigorenko making the Sabres

Old
07-14-2012, 04:59 PM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
CSKA's going to hand him big minutes now? Doubtful. The only thing that would be big is his paycheck.
You sound like his ex-girlfriend

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:12 PM
McTank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
How would playing in the KHL make him lazy? :shrug:
Oh you havent heard? All russians are lazy

McTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:15 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Even if there is a lockout, I think Grigorenko would pick Quebec over the KHL.

Everything he has said--and more importantly done--points to him wanting to be an NHL player. From coming to Quebec in the first place, to learning English, to basically living in Buffalo since the draft...

I don't think he's a flight risk. At all. I think he's where he wants to be--on this side of the pond. And he's not going to jeopardize that for anything.

New Sabres Captain is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:17 PM
cybresabre
Sir Hellcat

Send a message via ICQ to cybresabre
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresBillsBuffalo View Post
I really wouldn't mind I mean.... it doesn't look like we're gonna do anything else anyways....

Coho-Hodgson-Ott
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grig-Pominville
Gerbs-Girgs(or porter)- Kaleta/Porter/Scott/Tropp
It looks like Pegula has got us dabbling in quantum mechanics.

Vanek?

cybresabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 05:19 PM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodhouse View Post
CSKA's going to hand him big minutes now? Doubtful. The only thing that would be big is his paycheck.

That's what Fedorov said. Looking at CSKA's roster their top center is probably former Ottawa prospect Ilya Zubov or just signed Janis Sprukts. I expect Grigorenko would center Radulov's line.

If he signed for one year with CSKA, I wouldn't freak out.

Is it Fedorov in the Black shirt in this video? http://youtu.be/6qIuZ-gb6ec

Last edited by Tra La La: 07-14-2012 at 05:50 PM. Reason: addition
Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 06:43 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

vCash: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
That's what Fedorov said. Looking at CSKA's roster their top center is probably former Ottawa prospect Ilya Zubov or just signed Janis Sprukts. I expect Grigorenko would center Radulov's line.

If he signed for one year with CSKA, I wouldn't freak out.
Bragin may have a connection to Grigorenko from the WJC team, but it's still a new senior HC position for him and I wouldn't think that he'd rely on youth to stay afloat in Moscow. He has also said on record that he expects Radulov to play with Shirokov and Zubov.

Fedorov said there is a comfortable salary and roster spot available to Grigorenko, but it remains difficult to make any in-roads since Grigorenko would like to remain overseas. Also, from my interpretation, it's not a clear-cut top-line spot with guaranteed minutes, as Fedorov said there'd be competition among the youth and ultimately defer lineups and TOI to Bragin. [RU LINK]

Additionally, I don't even think it's plausible for Griogrenko to sign a 1yr contract with KHL/CSKA. It would have to be longer term, which no Buffalo fan wants to see, as there's no precedent that I can recall of short-term KHL contracts like that for any prospect. It'd be akin to the Oilers signing Yakupov to a 1yr ELC.

Regardless, like LDS, I don't see him as a flight risk and he'll either be with Buffalo or Quebec in 2012-13.

Woodhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:37 PM
Zine

If Grigorenko doesn't make the NHL, a year in the KHL might be his best option considering he can't play in the AHL and I doubt he'd learn anything more dominating the Q.

CSKA has gutted their roster making room for some younger players to shine....and Bragin is a very good coach. Strict but very fair. I could see Grigorenko getting 3rd line minutes.

Alexander Khokhlachev is in this situation with Boston and just signed with Spartak for a year.

Zine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 10:57 PM
Silence Of The Plams
All these feels

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybresabre View Post
It looks like Pegula has got us dabbling in quantum mechanics.

Vanek?
I ...I ... I don't even... I love your comment. made me actually lol.
But yeah. Where'd Vanek go :/

Last edited by Silence Of The Plams: 07-14-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Silence Of The Plams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 11:18 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post
If Grigorenko doesn't make the NHL, a year in the KHL might be his best option considering he can't play in the AHL and I doubt he'd learn anything more dominating the Q.

CSKA has gutted their roster making room for some younger players to shine....and Bragin is a very good coach. Strict but very fair. I could see Grigorenko getting 3rd line minutes.

Alexander Khokhlachev is in this situation with Boston and just signed with Spartak for a year.
I still think he has things to learn in junior, but if he's not ready for the NHL in 13-14, I'd definitely want him loaned to the KHL.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:58 AM

Send a message via AIM to 1970
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zine View Post

Maybe I am just a pessimist, but, i believe if Grigorenko signs with Moscow, he's gone for a long long time. If their offering him a boat load of cash, i highly doubt they want him for 1 season, it's to get him to be there for many seasons, and win many championships, and build the team with him being the face of the team. Maybe i'm wrong though.

Quote:
Any idea how much he signed for?

1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 01:07 AM
Better Call Saul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1970 View Post
Maybe I am just a pessimist, but, i believe if Grigorenko signs with Moscow, he's gone for a long long time. If their offering him a boat load of cash, i highly doubt they want him for 1 season, it's to get him to be there for many seasons, and win many championships, and build the team with him being the face of the team. Maybe i'm wrong though.
Agreed. I want absolutely no part of the risk, and can't believe Sabres fans are actually condoning the idea of Grigorenko playing in the KHL. It's mind-blowing to me.

Better Call Saul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:00 AM
jflory81
Irken Elite

Send a message via AIM to jflory81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Agreed. I want absolutely no part of the risk, and can't believe Sabres fans are actually condoning the idea of Grigorenko playing in the KHL. It's mind-blowing to me.
Yeah that certainly was a scary turn in the conversation

Anything that has Grigs playing anywhere but North America next year is a disaster.

jflory81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 04:08 AM
perklunt
smaržas parfume.lv

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghost Dog View Post
Is it Fedorov in the Black shirt in this video? http://youtu.be/6qIuZ-gb6ec
Thats Nemchinov. Fedorov was playing hockey for Magnitogorsk that year.

perklunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 06:29 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
not the same situation. Koko was not drafted in KHL, Grigs was. That means rules about KHL entry-level contract does not apply to Koko, but apply to Grigs. So, Koko can sign 1-y deal and he did it. Grigs can sign with CSKA until 30th of april of a year when he is 20y old. He was drafted by CSKA Moscow in 2011 at the age of 17 (turn in 2011). If he signed with CSKA last summer, contract would be for 3 years/seasons (end of 13/14 season). He did not do that. Now, if he signs with CSKA this summer, it will be for 2 seasons (end of 13/14 season). According to my knowledge of KHL rules he can not sign one-year this summer

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 07:36 AM
Tra La La

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
not the same situation. Koko was not drafted in KHL, Grigs was. That means rules about KHL entry-level contract does not apply to Koko, but apply to Grigs. So, Koko can sign 1-y deal and he did it. Grigs can sign with CSKA until 30th of april of a year when he is 20y old. He was drafted by CSKA Moscow in 2011 at the age of 17 (turn in 2011). If he signed with CSKA last summer, contract would be for 3 years/seasons (end of 13/14 season). He did not do that. Now, if he signs with CSKA this summer, it will be for 2 seasons (end of 13/14 season). According to my knowledge of KHL rules he can not sign one-year this summer

Hmm,

" Koko " just signed his ELC with the Bruins, but Chiarelli said he will play in the KHL this year.

Quote:
WILMINGTON, MA – While Alexander Khokhlachev rested in the locker room between practice sessions at the Bruins sixth annual Development Camp, GM Peter Chiarelli announced some exciting news about the forward’s future.

Khokhlachev
The B's have agreed to terms in principle with the Moscow, Russia-native on a one-year contract, which Chiarelli said will take effect as of July 1.

Khokhlachev plans to take part in the Bruins Development Camp and Training Camp in September, before returning to his home country, where he will play one season with his father’s Spartak Moscow squad of the Kontinental Hockey League.

“What we decided with Koko was that it’s a unique set of circumstances with his dad being the manager there, saying, look it’s one year and then back to North America,” Chiarelli told members of the media from Ristuccia Arena.

“He felt it was right for him and at the end of the day, we went along with him on this, so we’re going to support him on it.”
So the Bruins are doing, what Buffalo is doing with Armia?

Tra La La is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:29 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
So the Bruins are doing, what Buffalo is doing with Armia?
not, Armia is loaned, Koko not. Armia has obligation to Buffalo to come back after season, Koko not

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:44 AM
McTankel
HFBoards Sponsor

I don't want Grigs anywhere near the KHL. Once he gets acclimated to playing there and is getting paid equal to the NHL....What incentive is there to come play in Buffalo. None?.... No thanks!

McTankel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 09:58 AM
5 Minute Major

A different day and age but the 83-84 Buffalo Sabres had 7 players, 20 years old and younger, and they had a 103 point season when 103 points was a hell of an accomplishment.

If he's good enough, he should be in the lineup.

5 Minute Major is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:40 AM
haseoke39
**** Cycle 4 Eichel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Awwufelloff View Post
I don't want Grigs anywhere near the KHL. Once he gets acclimated to playing there and is getting paid equal to the NHL....What incentive is there to come play in Buffalo. None?.... No thanks!
I don't know if this is just a silly answer, but are there any quality of life benefits to being in the US as opposed to Russia?

haseoke39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:46 AM
Nathan Gerbe 42
Rookie User

I agree with the other guys; start him out as a wing and then work it out from there. But, who knows...

Nathan Gerbe 42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 10:50 AM
Sabretip

If Grigorenko is signed and slated to get some AHL seasoning, I wonder if Regier may consider also signing his linemate and best friend, Frederick Roy, to a two-way deal - despite his size (5'-9", 160), they invited him as an undrafted prospect to the development camp and he apparently did some good things to catch attention.

http://niagara-gazette.com/prosports...am-with-Sabres

It may seem on the surface as unnecessary but if Roy seems to have potential worth monitoring (from the linked article, it certainly seems that Roy's attitude and fiestiness in how he plays fits with the character the Sabres say they want to instill into their team), and he could offer some comfort level for Grigorenko in his adjustment to professional hockey as a former linemate and best friend going through the transition with him, it could be an investment in Grigorenko's overall development and preparation for his eventual NHL role with the Sabres.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:02 AM
Duddy
Everyday is

Grigorenko can't play in the AHL. Either juniors or NHL if he's signed.

Duddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:13 AM
Sabretip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duddy View Post
Grigorenko can't play in the AHL. Either juniors or NHL if he's signed.

Guess the point about Roy is moot...unless he does show NHL potential.

Sabretip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 11:42 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabretip View Post

Guess the point about Roy is moot...unless he does show NHL potential.
Well, not necessarily. He could earn himself an AHL contract. NHL potential or not, if Buffalo likes him, thinks he can succeed in the A, I'd like to see him be given a shot.
Players don't have to be big to be effective; there are some successful small tenacious guys succeeding the the NHL. Gerbe worked out fine for us. NJ's 4th line is pretty much all players like that, and that line helped them get to the SFC this year.

tsujimoto74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-15-2012, 12:24 PM
jfb392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabres57 View Post
Because if he isn't ready for the NHL at 19, he'd likely be much too good for the QMJHL.
If he's on an NHL ELC and loaned to the KHL, it's not a big deal because he has to come back to fulfill his NHL deal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorky View Post
not, Armia is loaned, Koko not. Armia has obligation to Buffalo to come back after season, Koko not
That's not true.
Khokhlachev has a three year NHL deal that will take effect in 2013-14, so he must come back and honor that deal.

jfb392 is offline   Reply With Quote