HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official NHL Free Agency Thread 5.0 (Legit Sources ONLY)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 12:34 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
How about instead of all making up numbers, we do some research?

http://business.financialpost.com/20...ly-tax-havens/
there are all kinds of tax benefits in the states..........hell we used to have free hospitlization up here called ohip.
We are now paying for that as well.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:34 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
Just another myth perpetuated on these boards to excuse poor organization standards.
What myth? The facts are right there, are they not? Montreal pays the highest taxes and, on a $7m contract (a la Suter or Parise), the difference between what goes into the player's pocket in Minnesota vs. Montreal is almost half a million dollars. Compared to lowest taxed cities, it's almost a million.

Half a million may seem like pennies to us when a guy's already getting $4-5 million after tax, but I'm sure the players and their agents don't see it that way.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Patofqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by danyhabsfan View Post
We have cap space
We need a LW
We need talent

Let's sign Semin
Let's not, he is even softer then Plekanec...

Old
walsy37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Smurf View Post
How about instead of all making up numbers, we do some research?

http://business.financialpost.com/20...ly-tax-havens/
You know what - that is one of the best posts I have seen on HF and very informative. The bottom line is that the Habs have the worst bang for buck in the league. NY is not much better, but it is better. For those wondering why the NYR and NYI have different rates - the Rangers, which play in NYC have a NYC local tax (the article assumes that players live in the locality they sign) and the island does not have such a tax. If the player lives in NJ, which many of the Rangers do, they will make even more.

So the Habs need to offer a salary higher than every other team to make the player even - but the gap is not crazy around 200k for every million give or take. Of course this all depends on a par dollar.

Old
gusfring

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What myth? The facts are right there, are they not? Montreal pays the highest taxes and, on a $7m contract (a la Suter or Parise), the difference between what goes into the player's pocket in Minnesota vs. Montreal is almost half a million dollars. Compared to lowest taxed cities, it's almost a million.

Half a million may seem like pennies to us when a guy's already getting $4-5 million after tax, but I'm sure the players and their agents don't see it that way.
The myth is that it stops players from coming here. It does not. The team can easily make up for a couple hundred thousand dollars.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:37 PM
76ftw

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Let's not, he is even softer then Plekanec...
why do you say things that are not true? Pleks isn't soft (he was very gritty 2nd half of the past season and has never been "soft") and Semin plays a good two way game. Does he hit a lot? No, but we don't need to have an entire team of people who hit, a skilled, big, two way winger would be awesome.

Old
FrankMTL

The Quebec Government must make more money in taxes off the Canadiens roster than some medium sized towns in the province . Off that 2010 roster alone the government (both) made about $30,490,000.00, which means that about 14 million of that was to the Quebec Government..

Old
le_sean

I think what's lost in this coup by Minny is how screwed Detroit is now. Losing Lidstrom and Stuart, I bet they were banking on Suter. I wouldn't be surprised if they call about Kaberle or Markov.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:38 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post

The cost of a house here is about half a million less, so there you go

Again, it's very complicated and most of them tend to have very good account managers who can get them to pay much less then everywhere... but I surely hope they pay more taxes than in the US, because I'll be very angry if they don't. Again, we are supposed to have much better social services (being destroyed, I admit, but still).

Old
07-04-2012, 12:38 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
The myth is that it stops players from coming here. It does not. The team can easily make up for a couple hundred thousand dollars.
By overpaying free agents, sure. But then you get to complain about how overpaid our players are, so you win either way.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:39 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkersMark View Post
Lol I hope your kidding. Doan is one of the scummiest ****s in the league. He has a habit of dirty hits and then hiding behind his fishbowl visor unless it's some kid challenging him. And in terms of whiners and poor sportsmanship, based on the playoffs he makes Subban look like a saint.

We don't need him anyways.
You're basing his scumminess based on his on ice incidents, off ice he's apparently a really good guy.
Name one guy that we all wouldn't want on our team that plays with an edge. Would you tell Pronger, Brown, Ott, etc "No thanks".
Hell, this is a team that had Lapierre, Kovalev and Ribeiro on the team and had their own antics at one point and we cheered em on. At least Doan is gonna hit instead of feigning injury while the opposition scores during the playoffs

Old
07-04-2012, 12:40 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I think what's lost in this coup by Minny is how screwed Detroit is now. Losing Lidstrom and Stuart, I bet they were banking on Suter. I wouldn't be surprised if they call about Kaberle or Markov.
And Rafalski the year before right? Tough blows for Detroit's D. I doubt they would be interested in T-Kaberle but I'm sure Bergevin would be happy to help them out.

No way I'd trade Markov to Detroit.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:43 PM
MTL-rules

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC93 View Post
And Rafalski the year before right? Tough blows for Detroit's D. I doubt they would be interested in T-Kaberle but I'm sure Bergevin would be happy to help them out.

No way I'd trade Markov to Detroit.
Kaberle for Datsyuk, nothing less !!

well, I'll add the smiley if a Wings fan comes by...

Old
07-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Sawyer
Wheeeee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Well he definitely has the right supporting staff now, but I wonder if he feels less important because these new guys are getting more money than him. Maybe it's a non-issue but I wonder what handing out these big contracts does to the chemistry of a team.
I would think that it unloads a lot of extra responsibility on him knowing that he won't be one of the "go to" clutch guys* all the time and that there's some teammates around that can contribute much more than previous years

*Excluding the Gaborik time

Old
07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
EurOConnEcton

I don't know about you guys, but i kinda feel like these long term contracts are getting out of hand. The NHL should put a Cap on these contract lengths to around say 7 years. I just feel like these 10 - 13 year deals are sorta absurd, what do you guys think?

Old
07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
goldglove

I would trade Markov and Kristo to DET for Franzen and Jurco

Old
07-04-2012, 12:49 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
I would trade Markov for Abdelkader, Ouellet and pick.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:49 PM
The Doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
Screw that, let's enjoy the Wings without a #1 defenceman for a while. Remember the Habs win vs them this year without Lidstrom? Let some otehr teams see what it's like to be missing your allstar defenceman! Markov would play til he's 40 on the Red Wings sending Datsyuk laser beam passes. We've missed the General too much around here, let's enjoy watching him a bit ourselves before we forget how special of a player he can be..

Old
07-04-2012, 12:54 PM
Dharvey33

I'd take semin only because it would hilarious the way Therrien would yell at him.

Say what you want about Therrien but one thing he doesn't tolerate laziness on his team i think some players are going to be surprised. I'm talking about you Bourque.

The perfect player for us would be Doan because a bit like Cole he could mentor young players to how to play the game with heart and passion this guy leaves his guts on the ice every single shift. I've always liked this player i just don't want him to land in pittsburgh.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:55 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
I'd consider Markov for a very good young asset like Nyquist or Smith. Trading him for secondary pieces doesn't make any sense. Mtl's own pipeline is plenty good at bringing in secondary pieces already.

Its not like Montreal has to move Markov, they can keep him if there isn't something valuable coming back.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:58 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Future is Now

Awards:
Quote:
What are we going to do with Abdelkader with our bottom-six as full as it is? That creates a huge hole and fills no needs for us.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:00 PM
Hawkguy
Hockey's Back!!

Quote:
If I was trading Markov, I'd want Smith in the package.

Abdelkader + Smith for Markov.

We might have to add though.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:08 PM
Go Habs Go

We need to improve our D as much as Detroit. Let's see if Holland is the genius people say he is.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:20 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by le_sean View Post
I'm sure they'll be agressive for Carle Semin Nash etc

Old
07-04-2012, 01:22 PM
Habster33
In Habs we trust!

Nick Kypreos ‏@RealKyper

Of 98M, I hear 22M is guaranteed in sign' bonus 10M/12M 1st 2 yrs. Can't wait 2 see ripple effect throughout #NHL #weberperrygetzlafnext

Closed Thread