HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Official NHL Free Agency Thread 5.0 (Legit Sources ONLY)

Closed Thread

Old
07-04-2012, 01:23 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldglove View Post
I would trade Markov and Kristo to DET for Franzen and Jurco
Why trade them Markov?

Old
07-04-2012, 01:27 PM
Myron Gaines*
Trop Giou

Franzen is one of my favorite players, but his injuries and signs of slowing down worry me a bit considering the length of his contract.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:31 PM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by nittany View Post
The myth is that it stops players from coming here. It does not. The team can easily make up for a couple hundred thousand dollars.
Yes it does.

I think it is too easy for folks to say "what is a 1.2 million to a guy who makes that much." That is 1/2 million....EVERY YEAR of their contract here.

I believe money plays an important roll in where a player goes.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:33 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myron Gaines View Post
Franzen is one of my favorite players, but his injuries and signs of slowing down worry me a bit considering the length of his contract.
Franzen has played basically full seasons the past two years. Put up his normal amount of points too. His cap hit is very friendly, so I doubt Detroit moves him.

I'd like Filp though.

If we could somehow get Filp + Brendan Smith for Markov + -- I'd be all in.

I'd want Filp to agree to an extension before the trade happened though since he's a UFA next year.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:39 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
I think something around Markov for Franzen could work for both teams.

Franzen is signed until 2020 though which is kind of crazy when you think about it. Great cap hit though (3.9).

Old
07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
What are we going to do with Abdelkader with our bottom-six as full as it is? That creates a huge hole and fills no needs for us.
Well I'm of the opinion that 2012/2013 is a write off season. Oullette is a very good prospect IMO. I'd have him ranked close to Beaulieu. Abdelkader is someone that I'd try to give an increased role and see how he plays. His fast, big, physical, and has shown at times he's got some offensive upside. At worst he'd be a staple in the bottom 6 for years to come. 2013 pick would add to our collection for the 1year rebuild.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
If I was trading Markov, I'd want Smith in the package.

Abdelkader + Smith for Markov.

We might have to add though.
Unrealistic IMO, especially considering Markov's injury history.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:43 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Could you imagine what we could get for Markov if he has an injury free year and we are out of the playoffs.

Trade deadline awaits.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:46 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I think something around Markov for Franzen could work for both teams.

Franzen is signed until 2020 though which is kind of crazy when you think about it. Great cap hit though (3.9).
I think Markov is a potentially much higher impact player than Franzen. You only trade Markov if your dismantling the ~33 old veteran group to get young.

In simple terms, Markov could push this team back into the playoffs. I don't think Franzen does. He's more DET's best complimentary piece to the their awesome top 2 forwards than a guy that tilts the ice in your favour. Markov has the potential to come back and be a game changer.

And its only worth losing Markov (who still could be a guy that plays into his late 30's) for a very good young player. If its for depth pieces you should just roll the dice with the potentially great player that you have.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:47 PM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

why the hell are people talking about trading markov? WOW

Old
07-04-2012, 01:48 PM
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watsatheo View Post
Well I'm of the opinion that 2012/2013 is a write off season. Oullette is a very good prospect IMO. I'd have him ranked close to Beaulieu. Abdelkader is someone that I'd try to give an increased role and see how he plays. His fast, big, physical, and has shown at times he's got some offensive upside. At worst he'd be a staple in the bottom 6 for years to come. 2013 pick would add to our collection for the 1year rebuild.
It's not that I'm opposed to trading Markov, but the deal would have to make sense. Abdelkader is okay, but for the main piece in a Markov trade, it's pretty underwhelming. Ouellette I like but we have a ton of D prospects already. I'd rather hold onto Markov for another year and try to trade him later if that's the best offer on the table.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:49 PM
clownquestionbro*

i'd trade markov for brendan smith without blinking!

Old
Zorba

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie View Post
Could you imagine what we could get for Markov if he has an injury free year and we are out of the playoffs.

Trade deadline awaits.
If Markov is injury free were in the playoffs or Damn close. He will not be traded

Old
hototogisu
Global Moderator
Poked the bear!!!!!

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Talks to Goalposts View Post
I think Markov is a potentially much higher impact player than Franzen. You only trade Markov if your dismantling the ~33 old veteran group to get young.

In simple terms, Markov could push this team back into the playoffs. I don't think Franzen does. He's more DET's best complimentary piece to the their awesome top 2 forwards than a guy that tilts the ice in your favour. Markov has the potential to come back and be a game changer.

And its only worth losing Markov (who still could be a guy that plays into his late 30's) for a very good young player. If its for depth pieces you should just roll the dice with the potentially great player that you have.
I agree that Markov is a higher impact player, but I think his injury history and the question marks going forward bring his value down to a Franzen type return (which is still a pretty decent return IMO).

Old
07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

At the same time if Markov does stay healthy we just made one of the best "acquisitions" this off season. Maybe next off season or his last I would consider it but not right now. I still think with a healthy Markov were a top team in the East, well not far

Old
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
hockeyfan2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
At the same time if Markov does stay healthy we just made one of the best "acquisitions" this off season. Maybe next off season or his last I would consider it but not right now. I still think with a healthy Markov were a top team in the East, well not far
Markov is good, but some here seriously overrate just how good he is. With a healthy Markov, this team still has major holes.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Markov is good, but some here seriously overrate just how good he is. With a healthy Markov, this team still has major holes.
A healthy Markov, granted that's a big stretch at this point, instantly turns the Habs into a playoff team

Old
07-04-2012, 01:59 PM
Watsatheo
Error 503 Service

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's not that I'm opposed to trading Markov, but the deal would have to make sense. Abdelkader is okay, but for the main piece in a Markov trade, it's pretty underwhelming. Ouellette I like but we have a ton of D prospects already. I'd rather hold onto Markov for another year and try to trade him later if that's the best offer on the table.
My comment was more on the topic of what to expect from the Wings rather than the idea of trading Markov. I doubt they'll still have a need for a D come next season since it's a need now. If the hypothetical situation arises where the Wings contact the Habs for Markov to fill their offseason need for a D, I feel that's closer to his value than asking the Wings top prospects and current core players like Franzen. I think his injury really reduced his trade value so if Markov returns Abdelkader, Ouellet, and 2013 1st I'd be happy. I don't think it's realistic to value Markov as a top 15 D ATM.

Now I agree it's probably better to keep Markov and see if he can return to form but that wasn't really what I was responding to.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:00 PM
Talks to Goalposts

Quote:
I agree that Markov is a higher impact player, but I think his injury history and the question marks going forward bring his value down to a Franzen type return (which is still a pretty decent return IMO).
It's pretty equal on value but not a good fit.

I don't think Franzen really helps the franchise though. Either Markov is back and pushes them upwards or he's not and the team goes through a further rebuilding cycle. A more "sure thing" aging forward just pushes them towards the middle.

Plus no Markov likely cripples the 2nd pairing for 1-2 more years after it was last seasons biggest weakness. Another top six winger is the biggest hole right now. But without Markov the lack of a number 2 defenseman is a bigger and more crippling deficiency. And much harder to fix than getting a good winger.

Trade Markov and you're basically going full rebuild. Franzen makes no sense for that.

Old
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeyfan2k11 View Post
Overrated? A healthy Markov is wanted by all teams in this league. I think you're the one underrating him here!

Old
roy munson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmac1160 View Post
Same here.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:01 PM
clownquestionbro*

yup it would be prudent to let markov increase his value by playing, showing that his knees are fine and that he can still run an offense from the backend. If he can do these things we can obviously optimize our if we decide to get rid of him.

Old
07-04-2012, 02:02 PM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
That's what people do on hockey forums

Old
07-04-2012, 02:03 PM
Habaneros
Habs Cup champs 2010

Quote:
trying to make room for Steve Nash

Old
07-04-2012, 02:04 PM
charlie

vCash: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorba View Post
If Markov is injury free were in the playoffs or Damn close. He will not be traded
Ok so Markov is injury free, but Patches misses 20 games, Price goes down for 25 games, Eller loses an eye, Subban rips his groin, Prust takes out Moen and White in practice.........lol......u get my point. Markov can still have a stellar year but the team in whole might not.
He would fetch us a fortune at the trade deadline if all of those scenarios were to happen.

Hey but I dont want that at all dont get me wrong. Looking forward to a long, healthy, winning season................and next years draft....

Old
07-04-2012, 02:08 PM
habitue*

With contracts given to Parise and Suter, no wonder we gonna have another lock out...

Owners will never learn !

Closed Thread