HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Shane Doan (Re-signs with Yotes)

View Poll Results: Do you want Doan?
Yes , At any cost/term 3 7.50%
Yes but only at reasonable cost/term 34 85.00%
Nope 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-04-2012, 10:23 AM
Illinihockey

vCash: 500
Shane Doan (Re-signs with Yotes)

Since Suter and Parise look headed to Minnesota, I really hope the Hawks make a big run at Doan. He's exactly what they need. Looks like the Rangers are going to be in on him:

the Rangers will be in the hunt for top-six winger Shane Doan if the Coyotes’ captain decides to leave Phoenix via free agency, several sources have told The Post.
“We haven’t entered into negotiations with any other teams, but Shane wants to be forthright and honest with clubs that have contacted us, and so we’ve let these clubs know whether there is mutual interest,” Terry Bross, Doan’s agent, told The Post yesterday.

“I don’t want to be specific about what teams those are, but there are no restrictions against negotiating with teams in the East ... or the one in Manhattan.”

Last edited by Blackhawkswincup: 09-14-2012 at 04:01 PM.
Illinihockey is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:25 AM
ndgt10

I'm sure he can't wait to hear Stan's monotone voice on the phone!!

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:30 AM
BobbyJet

I think Hawks should have been focussing on Doan since the day he declared that he was available. The friendship and compatability he developed with Toews as members of Team Canada should keep Chicago in the mix. This is Stan's big chance to show he is capable. Sign this guy for 2 years.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:35 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
I think Hawks should have been focussing on Doan since the day he declared that he was available. The friendship and compatability he developed with Toews as members of Team Canada should keep Chicago in the mix. This is Stan's big chance to show he is capable. Sign this guy for 2 years.
Its very possible they have been. I'd love to have his size and grit in our top 6. Probably going to have to give him more years than you'd like (probably 3 at least) but if they could get him for say 3 years $15 mil or 4 years $18 mil....would love it.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:41 AM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Its very possible they have been. I'd love to have his size and grit in our top 6. Probably going to have to give him more years than you'd like (probably 3 at least) but if they could get him for say 3 years $15 mil or 4 years $18 mil....would love it.
Horrible. I doubt he has more than one year left(if that). 3 at 5 per is awful. Hawks either need to maker the necessary moves to get a gut in or entering his prime or wait and see how prospects develop. Stop signing ****ing old men hoping they have enough left in them to contribute.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:43 AM
ndgt10

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
Horrible. I doubt he has more than one year left(if that). 3 at 5 per is awful. Hawks either need to maker the necessary moves to get a gut in or entering his prime or wait and see how prospects develop. Stop signing ****ing old men hoping they have enough left in them to contribute.
He will get more than Jagr, but it won't be here. Phoenix, LAK, or Van.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:45 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Why do you doubt he has more than 1 year left? He didn't look done to me in the playoffs last year. Don't think Doan has any more 70+ point seasons in him, but definitely think he has 3 more 60 point seasons left.

Old
07-04-2012, 10:46 AM
madgoat33

I don't. I'd be surprised if he had more than one 50pt season left

Old
07-04-2012, 10:46 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Doan is a ******, he pretty much hates this team from the playoffs, and seriously I dont see the love for people wanting this cry baby...

can he help the team? yes, but why even bother, he doesnt play center, is over 35, and is going to be asking for more then 2 years on a deal; he simply isnt worth it...

would much rather have seen the Hawks go hard at Ryan Smyth and force Edmonton's hand....that guy would have made more sense imo then Doan.. as Smyth has no drama with us, and is practically the same player at a lesser cost...

AmericanDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
ITA with this. We're not trying to win at a legends tournament. We need to stop signing people on their last legs.

How about Andrei Kostitsyn? Is he the cancerous one or is that his brother?

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:51 AM
BobbyJet

/\ but Smyth is likely an Oiler for life now. Is Doan the perfect player we need? Not quite, but he's dam close if we can get him on a 2 year deal.

Some of you folks seem to be as wishy washy as Stan. You'll never get a deal you like.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 10:59 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
/\ but Smyth is likely an Oiler for life now. Is Doan the perfect player we need? Not quite, but he's dam close if we can get him on a 2 year deal.

Some of you folks seem to be as wishy washy as Stan. You'll never get a deal you like.
I dont think its wishy washy when talking about Doan...

I hate pretty much every Yote, now we want this guy who thought the hit on Hossa was clean....??? Who pretty much cried his way off the ice after their ass kicking by the Kings???

Doan is going to want a 3 year deal, there is no doubt about it, and some sucker will give it to him, lets not be that sucker as we can find other players out there in a trade or FROM WITHIN like Stan has been saying.

If we are going to spend over $4 mil on a forward, it either better be Zach Parise, or a guy that can play #2 center...

Old
07-04-2012, 11:04 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
This.

Everyone complains that Bowman doesn't improve the top 6 but any time someone is mentioned either they suck (Roy, Gagne, etc) or they are too old (Doan, Jagr) or too expensive (Semin)......26 year old all stars aren't available on the free agent market and if you want one, you are going to have to pay a ton in money and years.

Doan would be a huge upgrade for this team and give the Hawks a dimension they are desperately lacking.

Old
07-04-2012, 11:10 AM
AmericanDream
Puck You

Quote:
This.

Everyone complains that Bowman doesn't improve the top 6 but any time someone is mentioned either they suck (Roy, Gagne, etc) or they are too old (Doan, Jagr) or too expensive (Semin)......26 year old all stars aren't available on the free agent market and if you want one, you are going to have to pay a ton in money and years.

Doan would be a huge upgrade for this team and give the Hawks a dimension they are desperately lacking.
I agree with all of that, and I cant stand people like what you stated....

I made the thread, Semin and Carle, why not?? and I laughed my ass off at people actually not wanting to get those guys if we missed out on Parise and Suter... Both of them help this Hawks team so much it is beyond ridiculous to think otherwise...

Would have taken Jagr and Roy in a heartbeat as well...

Would have traded for Ryan Smyth when he was available at the draft, that was the guy like Doan who could have helped our top 6-9 bigtime.

All I am saying with Shane Doan, is its Shane Doan. He is apart of the Yotes team that acted like a bunch of crybaby *******s throughout the entire playoffs, including his comments about the hit on Hossa and how it looked clean to him..

He is also going to want more then 2 years on a deal so he can retire with whatever team signs him, those 2 reasons alone are why he isnt worth it.

Jagr and Smyth signed 1 year deals (Jagr) and 2 year deal (Smyth)...I dont see Doan signing for anything under 3 years...

I want Bowman to get us help, I dont really care who it as long as they didnt come from Phoenix, and Vancouver!!! well, there are a few Nucks I would like, so it would depend on who

Old
07-04-2012, 11:12 AM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Pass on Doan

He wants a longterm deal (3 yrs at least) at 35 yrs old ,, No thanks

Also he refuses to acknowledge his plans so it would leave Hawks waiting for another week for him to make up his mind

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:22 PM
MTP
I Love Shinpads

Send a message via AIM to MTP
Doan is one of those guys I never want to see wearing the Indian head. He'll retire in Phoenix anyway.

MTP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:23 PM
madgoat33

Yea, I didn't even talk about what a ******** tool he is. I just focused on how i don't like the thought of him on the hawks as a player.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:29 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

As long as his cap hit comes off by the time we have to sign Kane and Toews then why not sign him? Id rather see us use that capspace for a 2C or top 4 Dman or starting goalie, but if Doan is the biggest upgrade we can make then that's fine I guess.

This isn't the nfl. 35 doesn't make a player useless anymore.

xX Hot Fuss is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:33 PM
Sarava

I don't see him coming here. I could see him using the Hawks to pimp his price up though. I'd pass.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:37 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
As long as his cap hit comes off by the time we have to sign Kane and Toews then why not sign him? Id rather see us use that capspace for a 2C or top 4 Dman or starting goalie, but if Doan is the biggest upgrade we can make then that's fine I guess.

This isn't the nfl. 35 doesn't make a player useless anymore.
if it was for 1 year itd be one thing. People are talking about 3-4 years and a 4.5+ cap hit. 36yr old shane doan is not worth that.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:40 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
if it was for 1 year itd be one thing. People are talking about 3-4 years and a 4.5+ cap hit. 36yr old shane doan is not worth that.
4.5 mil is not a lot with a 70 mil cap. Its not 2008 anymore.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:42 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
If the term is 1-2 years, I'd give Doan whatever he wants to play here. You can't give long-term contracts for 35+. The risk is just too great no matter who the player.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:44 PM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
If the term is 1-2 years, I'd give Doan whatever he wants to play here. You can't give long-term contracts for 35+. The risk is just too great no matter who the player.
With Stalberg the only UFA of any import for the next 2 seasons, a bloated 2 year deal isn't a bad idea. It would come off as Hjalmersson and Bolland come up as UFA's.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:46 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 340
Quote:
With Stalberg the only UFA of any import for the next 2 seasons, a bloated 2 year deal isn't a bad idea. It would come off as Hjalmersson and Bolland come up as UFA's.
He wants 3+ yrs

And Doan is starting to decline ,, Giving him a bloated contract is idiotic

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:52 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
I agree with this. If the trade market isn't looking good, I'm okay with a very inflated 2 year deal. I would guess Doan wants 4 years, so 2 will be expensive. Depending on the CBA outlook, I would prefer the 2 years be heavily front-loaded.

Again, I don't think he'll be interested in moving to Chicago.

hockeydoug is online now   Reply With Quote