HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Chances of another lockout?

Old
06-29-2012, 10:25 AM
committedindian86
Flip The Switch

vCash: 500
Chances of another lockout?

I don't really follow the CBA, I know it expires in September. What are the realistic chances of another lockout? How detrimental would it be for the league? The last lockout ended up bringing out a different style of play that has actually increased attendance and revenue in some markets.

committedindian86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I give it about 10% that there will be a lockout, but only 1-2 months.

Not many things will change IMO

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:31 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
I'd say that there's a decently high chance of a lockout, though a fairly low chance of any games actually being lost.

Maybe... 40% and 10% for the two I said.

No Fun Shogun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
06-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Sarava

With Donald Fehr in charge of the players, I'd expect some sort of a lockout. Hopefully not to long.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 08:14 PM
Jeffrey Lebowski
Luuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

I've been following the ordeal very loosely... but IMO, I don't think there will be a lockout (or if there is, it'll be resolved before the regular season starts).

Fehr is certainly capable of playing hardball with Bettman... but ultimately, there's not too many 'big' issues to be resolved. Certainly there's some things that both sides will try to press hard on the other party, but nothing that can't be "given up" in some sort of way to get something that they really want.

Jeffrey Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
06-30-2012, 09:41 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Sadly I am putting it at about 70%.

Fehr and the players have said they already gave up tons last time they negotiated and aren't looking to give up much if anything more.

Meanwhile the owners want them to give up 7% of the revenue the league makes.

I think eventually they will get someway to come to an agreement but I do think we lose a month or so of the season.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:34 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

A lockout will murder whatever progress the Hawks made while actually being a Cup winning team.

What fans they have will run in droves back to the Bears and a Rose less Bulls for a year.

McDouche better pray to whomever that there isnt a lock out now that the Flubs have a true superstar in the making in Rizzo and the White Sox have a team of scraps that just keep on winning.This time, the fans wont come back. Too much out there to take peoples money.

Martini* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:36 AM
Sarava

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martini View Post
A lockout will murder whatever progress the Hawks made while actually being a Cup winning team.

What fans they have will run in droves back to the Bears and a Rose less Bulls for a year.

McDouche better pray to whomever that there isnt a lock out now that the Flubs have a true superstar in the making in Rizzo and the White Sox have a team of scraps that just keep on winning.This time, the fans wont come back. Too much out there to take peoples money.
Nah not really. The Hawks have recovered from lockouts before. The only thing they were unable to recover from was Bill Wirtz, and he's no longer around.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:47 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
Nah not really. The Hawks have recovered from lockouts before. The only thing they were unable to recover from was Bill Wirtz, and he's no longer around.
The Hawks have never recovered from what they actually were from the 80's. Wirtz gets alot of hate, but he also protected his main money, the ST holders, and, no matter what many wish to believe, he did pay money for players, many of whom were past their prime, but he did pay.

Sure, towards the end, he was senile, and having that puppet(Pulford) he had for so long reminds me of the scene in LOTR's where the guy put the spell on the King and had his henchmen talking to him while his kingdom went down the crapper before the orc's came. But thats beyond the CBA and its impact here in Chicago.

What I do know is two first round exits have made many lose interest in a team that was pimped up to be a young team that will contend for many, many years, and from the looks of the ticket count, and with McNose running things, that will [always be debatable, those same uber numbers will decline rapidly when there is a gifted young player in Derrick Rose who is already the face of Chicago sports, and a superstar in the making in Rizzo, who has, so far, actually lived up to the hype.

The Hawks has a chance to actually matter in Chicago, they are on the cusp of blowing it, and dont need a lock out to pretty much declare it for them.

Old
07-01-2012, 01:48 AM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

Quote:
The Hawks have never recovered from what they actually were from the 80's. Wirtz gets alot of hate, but he also protected his main money, the ST holders, and, no matter what many wish to believe, he did pay money for players, many of whom were past their prime, but he did pay.

Sure, towards the end, he was senile, and having that puppet(Pulford) he had for so long reminds me of the scene in LOTR's where the guy put the spell on the King and had his henchmen talking to him while his kingdom went down the crapper before the orc's came. But thats beyond the CBA and its impact here in Chicago.

What I do know is two first round exits have made many lose interest in a team that was pimped up to be a young team that will contend for many, many years, and from the looks of the ticket count, and with McNose running things, that will [always be debatable, those same uber numbers will decline rapidly when there is a gifted young player in Derrick Rose who is already the face of Chicago sports, and a superstar in the making in Rizzo, who has, so far, actually lived up to the hype.

The Hawks has a chance to actually matter in Chicago, they are on the cusp of blowing it, and dont need a lock out to pretty much declare it for them.
This opinion is not a popular one for obvious reasons (people tend to avoid negativity about things they love if possible), but I agree completely.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 01:55 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

I wouldn't be surprised if there's a brief lockout...I'd actually be surprised if the season started on time. One thing (amongst many things) that militates against a long lockout is the fact that you've got the winter classic in Jan and HBO is signed up again to do 24/7 re the Wings/Leafs. I can't imagine Uncle Gary wanting to lose out on the HBO exposure.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-01-2012, 02:13 AM
Sarava

Quote:

Perhaps the facts got a bit fuzzy on their way out to Rockford. Let's look at 1992 for example. A point in which you claim the Hawks had not recovered.

When the NHL players went on strike in the spring, the common thoughts around the hockey world were that the season would be lost. As it turned out, we were lucky and they did settle their differences. I remember this so well because this presented a chance to buy Hawk playoff tickets that had never been there in my life. Many season ticket holders did not plop down the cash for playoff tickets because of the looming strike. I benefited from it and bought tickets to a first round game against the Blues and a second round game against the Wings.

Every game sold out in the 1992 playoffs and of course the Hawks went on the run that was only stopped by the great Mario Lemieux.

Now...to say Bill Wirtz protected his season ticket holders is ridiculous. He thought or claimed that he was protecting them, but that was just his excuse for silly policies like no home games on tv. And as bad as no home games on tv was...that was not what ultimately turned Hawk fans away. We couldn't stand him, but kept coming to the games.

What turned Hawk fans away was trading away the fan favorite stars. It started with Jeremy Roenick. You can say Wirtz was willing to pay players...and he was in some cases. But I specifically remember his comments to the media from that time. He went crying to the media about Roenick, saying 'this young man thinks he is Michael Jordan and I can tell you he is no Michael Jordan'...this was regarding Roenick's contract demands/wishes. It wasn't long after those comments that he was sent off for Zhamnov. Belfour was traded during the next season...Chelios a few years after that, and the fans at that point had completely had it with Wirtz.

The odd thing is, so many people said they are done with the Hawks until Wirtz dies. I'm not sure anyone realized that is exactly how it would play out.

Old
07-01-2012, 07:10 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Thinking about it... we will miss hockey for the first 2 months. MLB still in their season, NFL is there. Many teams (owners) think that the hockey season starts in december...

Old
07-01-2012, 07:57 AM
Martini*
Gods Team

Quote:
Perhaps the facts got a bit fuzzy on their way out to Rockford. Let's look at 1992 for example. A point in which you claim the Hawks had not recovered.
92 was already too late. The Bears had already taken over this town and havent looked back since. In the early 80's, before the Bears SB win, the Hawks had a decent foot hold in the casual sport fans interest, with Savard being a huge reason for that, possibly the last mega star the Hawks will ever have, he was that good. You can say what you want about Toews and Kane, but they wont ever reach the levels Savard did.

Quote:

Now...to say Bill Wirtz protected his season ticket holders is ridiculous. He thought or claimed that he was protecting them, but that was just his excuse for silly policies like no home games on tv. And as bad as no home games on tv was...that was not what ultimately turned Hawk fans away. We couldn't stand him, but kept coming to the games.
As "ridiculous" as it sounds, its a fair business model at the time. Wirtz knew his money was the ST holders. He also knew that he had a product that many would pay to see instead of giving it away on television for free, and why, at that time, should he? In this day when Rocky is crying poor even with a packed house, the elder Wirtz never did, and also spent money. Why, because he knew again where is money was. To say Bill Wirtz was stupid is stupid itself. He knew the trends better then the media, fans, etc, and he didnt budge on his stance because, as owner, he didnt have to.
Quote:
What turned Hawk fans away was trading away the fan favorite stars.
Its neither here nor there considering I dont think anybody here can do anything but speculate as to what was said behind the scenes. He also, again, knew his team wasnt bringing in cash so he traded away his most expensive pieces for very little in return. Thats nots Wirtz's fault, its Pully's.
Quote:
It started with Jeremy Roenick. You can say Wirtz was willing to pay players...and he was in some cases. But I specifically remember his comments to the media from that time. He went crying to the media about Roenick, saying 'this young man thinks he is Michael Jordan and I can tell you he is no Michael Jordan'...this was regarding Roenick's contract demands/wishes.
Roenick wasnt Jordan, that much is true and there isnt a single person who can say he is without looking foolish. And unless anybody was actually in on the negociations, nobody can actually say anything of value outside of what was written thru the press at the time.

Quote:
It wasn't long after those comments that he was sent off for Zhamnov. Belfour was traded during the next season...Chelios a few years after that, and the fans at that point had completely had it with Wirtz.
For looking out for his best interests? Um, ok. It doesnt really matter what the fans think in the grandest scheme of things to any owner.
Quote:
The odd thing is, so many people said they are done with the Hawks until Wirtz dies. I'm not sure anyone realized that is exactly how it would play out.
And, when the Hawks start losing again which, hopefully isnt for a long time, the cycle will repeat itself, yet again to the point I will bet money they are taken off of television while these "packed houses" start to dwindle.

Hopefully, a lock out doesnt speed it up.

Old
07-13-2012, 10:04 PM
Blackhawkswincup
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Before a few minutes ago I thought ,, Not much of chance or even if there is one it will only be about a month or so lost

But now I think this will be ugly mess

Quote:
Renaud P Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
NHL proposal to players:
1-reduce players hockey related revenues to 46% from 57 %.
2-10 seasons in NHL before being UFA.
3-contracts limits to 5 years
4-no more salary arbitration.
5- entry-level contract 5 years instead of 3.

Blackhawkswincup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:06 PM
massivegoonery

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post
Before a few minutes ago I thought ,, Not much of chance or even if there is one it will only be about a month or so lost

Players response:

Go **** yourselves, we're going to go play in Russia.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:16 PM
Sevanston

The NHL probably attached a trollface picture to those demands.

Truly absurd, even for a first proposal.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 10:22 PM
madgoat33

makes you wonder who came up with that. Its just so outrageous. Either way, NHL can't really afford more missed games. If the owners are getting squeezed that bad, maybe they need to consider relocating some teams(phoenix)/think about better revenue sharing.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:36 PM
Chris Hansen
Versteeg's Concubine

After seeing that, I've come to the conclusion that as far as seeing any NHL hockey next year is concerned, we're all screwed.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-13-2012, 11:51 PM
ndgt10

I wouldn't mind if the year started in february. At least my tickets will be prorated.

ndgt10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:17 AM
Sleight Of Hand
Mean Streets

If that was a true proposal I would say that a lockout is guaranteed. I can see starting at 46% when they are hoping for 50%. But the ELC is ridiculous and FA at 10 years is stupid. It will be interesting to see it all play out.

Sleight Of Hand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 12:59 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawkswincup View Post

I understand it's a negotiation and you start high to come down but that is ****ing ridiculous.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 01:07 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by massivegoonery View Post
Players response:

Go **** yourselves, we're going to go play in Russia.
And the NHL execs and the UNITED Center laughs and says go fly Aeroflot.

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-14-2012, 07:28 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

players will come back with the same **** and then negotiations start.

Isn't it funny that 50% of the owners just wanted to get Suter & Parise on longterm deals and now want to limit it to 5 years max?

not worried at all, think there will be a lockout until december. Then we have a team that knows each other and would be good from start to finish

Old
07-14-2012, 08:02 AM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Nothing the Owners proposed was unexpected. The thinking has always been that the NHL season would not start on time.. but no, there will not be another full year lost. The NHL will resume in late November/early Decemeber - if they are unable to resolve the issues prior to September 15th.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote