HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan (Re-signs with Yotes)

View Poll Results: Do you want Doan?
Yes , At any cost/term 3 7.50%
Yes but only at reasonable cost/term 34 85.00%
Nope 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Hawkaholic

vCash: 500
I guess we'll trade Saad or TT to find out if that's what Berniers problem is. Sounds like a trade a good GM would make.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:15 AM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post
I guess we'll trade Saad or TT to find out if that's what Berniers problem is. Sounds like a trade a good GM would make.
I don't see him costing that type of prospect.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:39 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I don't see him costing that type of prospect.
What do you think LA would ask for him ? He was the 11th pick in the 2006 draft ?...

unbridledid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 09:45 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by unbridledid View Post
What do you think LA would ask for him ? He was the 11th pick in the 2006 draft ?...
Draft picks. I think a 1st round draft pick as rumored before, then maybe a 4th or 5th on top of that but I think a 1st alone can get it done. With their contract situation and player ages, the best thing they can do is get an additional 1st for 4-5 years down the road when they will need good, young cheap players.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Draft picks. I think a 1st round draft pick as rumored before, then maybe a 4th or 5th on top of that but I think a 1st alone can get it done. With their contract situation and player ages, the best thing they can do is get an additional 1st for 4-5 years down the road when they will need good, young cheap players.
Wouldn't TT be the same thing as a 1st round draft pick?

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:05 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Wouldn't TT be the same thing as a 1st round draft pick?
Yeah but I think TT is worth more than a future 1st. He fell a lot, he was a top 10 pick. Same as Saad. Bernier isn't worth a top 10 pick and I don't see anyone giving that kind of pick for him.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:10 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
Yeah but I think TT is worth more than a future 1st.
Who knows what next years pick will be... Just feel that Bernier needs a body of work to prove his worth...

Wouldn't take the risk...I think 1st rounders are too valuable and next years draft is supposed to be quite solid.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:16 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
Who knows what next years pick will be... Just feel that Bernier needs a body of work to prove his worth...

Wouldn't take the risk...I think 1st rounders are too valuable and next years draft is supposed to be quite solid.
The prospect pool is too big. We're going to start running the risk of guys not wanting to sign because there is too much competition ahead of them. It's time to start addressing the needs of the big club with those picks.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:18 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
The prospect pool is too big. We're going to start running the risk of guys not wanting to sign because there is too much competition ahead of them. It's time to start addressing the needs of the big club with those picks.
Not 1st rounders and not next years 1st.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:23 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Stan basically acknowledged this at prospect camp when they started trying some of our center prospects as wingers. He said himself, they can't all play center.

I hope that means he starts doing something about it soon. He clearly sees the problem, hopefully he sees a better solution than "let's just play them as wingers!"

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:41 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post
Stan basically acknowledged this at prospect camp when they started trying some of our center prospects as wingers. He said himself, they can't all play center.

I hope that means he starts doing something about it soon. He clearly sees the problem, hopefully he sees a better solution than "let's just play them as wingers!"
If they can play wing and be effective then let them play...

Old
08-07-2012, 10:44 AM
hockeydoug

Quote:

Fair concern. With so many right now, I'm open to any idea that gets them as much professional ice time as possible so they have a better idea of where these guys project on the big roster. I prefer they not play out of position, but a couple hundred extra minutes of ice time will offset most of my concern there.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 10:47 AM
digdug41982

What they need to do is identify the best ones and the ones they think will not reach the same peaks and trade those while they still have good value. That's the hardest part of the process. Just keeping everyone until we know for sure will result in a lot of good assets flushed down the toilet.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:51 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
What they need to do is identify the best ones and the ones they think will not reach the same peaks and trade those while they still have good value. That's the hardest part of the process. Just keeping everyone until we know for sure will result in a lot of good assets flushed down the toilet.
...if the Hawks can identify which players won't reach a level I am certain other team can do the same...

K Hayes was a wing who was converted to center. Danault was a center who now plays wing. Saad is a wing who asked to play center. Pirri was and is a center.. McNeil was and is a center.. TT..is a center who plays wing.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:53 AM
digdug41982

IMO, the Hawks should have a better read on these guys than other teams. Even so, you just need to keep the one that is better for the team and will do better here, doesn't mean the other one is bad or won't be a good NHL player.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:54 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
IMO, the Hawks should have a better read on these guys than other teams.
...Why ? Teams have scouts following these players before, during, and after the Hawks draft them...

Old
08-07-2012, 10:55 AM
digdug41982

Quote:
...Why ? Teams have scouts following these players before, during, and after the Hawks draft them...
And I am sure the opinions vary from team to team.

Old
08-07-2012, 10:56 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
And I am sure the opinions vary from team to team.
Sure of course they do...and the Hawks may even get one wrong and get burned...

Old
08-07-2012, 11:01 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Sure of course they do...and the Hawks may even get one wrong and get burned...
They could also get one right and take off, so I don't see your point.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:02 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
They could also get one right and take off, so I don't see your point.
Sure of course they could so I don't see your point either ? I was under the impression they were trading assets for "proven" players...

Old
08-07-2012, 11:20 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Sure of course they could so I don't see your point either ? I was under the impression they were trading assets for "proven" players...
Trading assets for players that have a better chance of helping the team now, and hopefully in the future as well.

Jeremy Morin may end up as a great forward, but if we still have crappy goaltenders, it won't make much of a difference to us.

Trading from a position of strength to try and fix a position of weakness. Sounds like a good idea to me.

Old
08-07-2012, 11:29 AM
unbridledid

Quote:
Trading assets for players that have a better chance of helping the team now, and hopefully in the future as well.

Jeremy Morin may end up as a great forward, but if we still have crappy goaltenders, it won't make much of a difference to us.

Trading from a position of strength to try and fix a position of weakness. Sounds like a good idea to me.
We don't know if an unproven asset like Bernier will help the team..
We have to look long term as well and long term Luongo is a bad idea.

I don't agree that our goalies are "crappy", so that may sound good to you. I think we need a kid like Morin who plays with and edge. Morin, Beach, Flick...this is what we need populating our 3rd/4th lines..

Give me some other names you are considering to help with the problem you see with out goaltending

Old
08-07-2012, 02:26 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
I answered your question.

The difference is most teams can't afford to have 6 million dollars in the minors not making a difference.

Yes it is big money contracts because that is what teams are using to basically circumvent the cap. The Rangers hid Reddens contract in the minors and then used that cap space to go and get Gaborik or Richards. The cap was put in place to have an equal playing field, hiding big contracts in the minors is something only big teams can do and only about 10 of the 30 NHL teams are big team, if that.

Moving AHL players back and forth and guys with a 1 mil cap hit isn't avoiding the rule, however putting a guy in the AHL who makes 5 mil + is especially when that money is used to sign another high priced FA basically allowing teams to sign 2x the amount of players.

This wouldn't be being talked about and reported on if it wasn't an issue. Not saying it will happen but your naive and foolish if you think it can't or won't, it's being discussed for a reason.
I don't care what teams can afford and not. I care about fairness and it's not fair to allow sending down Taffe but not Redden... who both aren't NHL players.

Don't forget that 29 other teams pass on those guys. They would get them for free and don't want them.
They won't change that and it's not circumvention when it's allowed

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:54 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:

What has TT or Saad proven?

I don't know how many times I see someone say I don't want a certain player because he is unproven and if we are going to trade them we better get a proven player coming back.

You guys are talking in circles, other teams prospects no matter how good are worthless because they haven't proven anything but our unproven prospects are worth a fortune. You overrate our prospects and underrate everyone elses.

Prospects unless they are considered to be some of the best in the NHL, we don't have any, don't bring in proven players.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-07-2012, 03:58 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I don't care what teams can afford and not. I care about fairness and it's not fair to allow sending down Taffe but not Redden... who both aren't NHL players.

Don't forget that 29 other teams pass on those guys. They would get them for free and don't want them.
They won't change that and it's not circumvention when it's allowed
And the owners of NHL teams don't care what you care about. It's not fair that's the point, that only a select few teams can afford to pay a player millions of dollars to not be in the NHL isn't fair that rich teams can do this then use that money to sign a another top FA, again basically signing 2 players for the price of 1.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote