HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Shane Doan (Re-signs with Yotes)

View Poll Results: Do you want Doan?
Yes , At any cost/term 3 7.50%
Yes but only at reasonable cost/term 34 85.00%
Nope 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2012, 03:22 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

vCash: 500
Everyone is talking about Kanes horrible year last year. In his career before last year he averaged 25.75 goals a year, he scored 23 last year. He averaged 75 points per season last year he scored 66, yes it was a down year, but it's not like he missed his career average by 20 points or so. Even if he plays to his averages it doesn't help this team hugely because it's not a big difference and scoring wasn't the Hawks problem anyway.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 07:35 AM
hockeydoug

I think expecting to be play many more games than they did or scoring more than they did isn't very realistic. The games missed and production from those 6 has been similar the last 2 years. I think if Kane's production goes up somebody else's will be a little down for whatever reason. I think 2010 was more the anomaly than what should be expected in terms of the star-players' production as a group.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:06 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
Bowman is a McD guy, he won't be sacked before Q. Obviously, McD would likely sack anyone to save face.. but Q's going before Bowman does.
Of course Bowman won't be sacked before Q, if for no other reason than Bowman can fire Q if he feels the heat starting to turn up on him.

But I think they both have pretty equal chances of getting sacked before the start of the 2013-2014 season. Q would go sometime midseason, then Bowman in the summer if we don't get out of the first round.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 10:22 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Bowman will be watched close next year, but won't be on the hot seat. First guy to be blamed is Q

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 11:40 AM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
Everyone is talking about Kanes horrible year last year. In his career before last year he averaged 25.75 goals a year, he scored 23 last year. He averaged 75 points per season last year he scored 66, yes it was a down year, but it's not like he missed his career average by 20 points or so. Even if he plays to his averages it doesn't help this team hugely because it's not a big difference and scoring wasn't the Hawks problem anyway.
It wasn't a horrible year but he can do better. I also agree that scoring wasn't the team's problem (except re their power play).

I think he can produce points at an elite level, though.

Of course the other thing is that he good linemates. It doesn't matter what he does if he's not playing with someone who can consisting finish the plays he creates.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2012, 03:06 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Kanes problem wasn't scoring per sť. His ES Scoring was fine. It was the lack of PPPs

Old
09-07-2012, 10:53 AM
BobbyJet

Okay Doan has confirmed that he is staying in Phoenix. No real surprise but will this mean more UFA activity, or is everything on hold waiting for the new CBA?

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:18 AM
coldsteelonice84

vCash: 10592
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
Okay Doan has confirmed that he is staying in Phoenix. No real surprise but will this mean more UFA activity, or is everything on hold waiting for the new CBA?
Is there anything really left? And I am not so sure Doan is going to stay with Phoenix. They have until the 14th to complete sale of the Coyotes. The way it has gone, I think it would be wise to wait and see because I don't see Doan going into a lockout without a contract.

coldsteelonice84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 11:58 AM
Hawkaholic

I don't believe there will be any signings until the new CBA is in place. I don't think Chicago was holding back on anything because of Doan, it was probably pretty clear he wasn't coming to Chicago when he demanded far too much money and term.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-07-2012, 12:02 PM
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!

Doan says he's signing prior to the expiration of the CBA.

If the rumours re: his salary demands and length of contract are true then I'm happy the Hawks didn't sign him.

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-08-2012, 11:34 AM
FakeKidPoker*

I'd much rather have someone like Luongo over Shane Doan.

Doan is just such a *****

FakeKidPoker* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-09-2012, 11:49 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

As of now, I like the Hawks the way they are.

I have nothing against going into the season with the roster we have

Old
09-14-2012, 10:17 AM
coldsteelonice84

Good chance Doan signs with the Canucks today.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:36 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
Good chance Doan signs with the Canucks today.
That team needs to break up.

I'm tired of wringing my hands every time they get another quality player.

Old
09-14-2012, 10:40 AM
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevanston View Post

If he signs for anything near the rumored amount it means they almost have to move 1 or 2 contracts. I think this nearly guarantees Lou could be headed elsewhere which means they no longer have the 1a and 1b so everything will be on Schneider's shoulders to succeed. That, and by all accounts the cap will recede if the owner's refuse to budge. Simply moving Lou might not be enough to get them under.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 10:49 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:

Doan is exactly what they need. They become dangerous with him there and Luongo out. I imagine they will just dump Luongo on Florida for nothing if they get him.

Old
09-14-2012, 11:15 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Doan is exactly what they need. They become dangerous with him there and Luongo out. I imagine they will just dump Luongo on Florida for nothing if they get him.
Agreed.

Adding Garrison was also an overrated move, but a solid one nonetheless.

At that point, the most we can hope for would be Schneider falling apart or the new CBA forcing them to shed some quality pieces.

Or my personal bet, Vigneault encouraging them to goon it up in the playoffs instead of try to win the game. IMO that's been their major downfall every year since 2010.

Old
09-14-2012, 11:18 AM
BobbyJet

This is what, the 5th or 6th deadline we have heard from this guy? If he does end up in Vancouver that will make them more competitive come the playoffs and the Canuck softies a tad braver.
I am disappointed that Stan didnít seem to show much interest in Doan. Hawks could have really used this player for a few years waiting for our youth to mature. It will be interesting to hear what he ends up signing for. Iíd venture to say it wonít be close to the (rumoured) huge dollars we heard about all summer, but I wonít be surprised if the term is for 3 or 4 years.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:21 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyJet View Post
This is what, the 5th or 6th deadline we have heard from this guy? If he does end up in Vancouver that will make them more competitive come the playoffs and the Canuck softies a tad braver.
I am disappointed that Stan didnít seem to show much interest in Doan. Hawks could have really used this player for a few years waiting for our youth to mature. It will be interesting to hear what he ends up signing for. Iíd venture to say it wonít be close to the (rumoured) huge dollars we heard about all summer, but I wonít be surprised if the term is for 3 or 4 years.
Yeah...believe me, I am waiting to **** on Bowman's head if this is a team friendly contract as I have suspected all along.

Old
09-14-2012, 11:24 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Yeah...believe me, I am waiting to **** on Bowman's head if this is a team friendly contract as I have suspected all along.
I won't.

Money was never the main draw for him, which is why this has taken so long in the first place.

Teams were supposedly throwing crazy money at him back in July and he didn't budge.

EDIT: But if he signs somewhere besides Vancouver for a cap-friendly contract, I'll have an axe to grind

Old
09-14-2012, 11:38 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:
I won't.

Money was never the main draw for him, which is why this has taken so long in the first place.

Teams were supposedly throwing crazy money at him back in July and he didn't budge.

EDIT: But if he signs somewhere besides Vancouver for a cap-friendly contract, I'll have an axe to grind
Why is it ok if he signs cheap in Vancouver but not somewhere else?

Old
09-14-2012, 11:42 AM
Sevanston

Quote:
Why is it ok if he signs cheap in Vancouver but not somewhere else?
As I understand it, the primary reason that Vancouver is the front-runner (obviously aside from them being a contender) is that he has a lot of family ties to BC, especially relating to his wife.

I don't fault anyone when players choose family first.

Old
09-14-2012, 11:47 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Quote:
As I understand it, the primary reason that Vancouver is the front-runner (obviously aside from them being a contender) is that he has a lot of family ties to BC, especially relating to his wife.

Yeah, this is what I've read as well. I won't be upset with Bowman if Doan signs with Phoenix or Vancouver, or another team that vastly overpays. However, I might be irritated if he signs with someone like the Wings, or Preds, for a sensible caphit.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-14-2012, 11:50 AM
coldsteelonice84

Quote:

Yeah, that is true but they have been really aggressive since day 1. I guess we'll find out how much of a factor the city was or the aggression in getting him to go there. Maybe we never had a shot but I really liked the idea of Toews convincing him. That fizzled fast. Maybe he said no chance to Chicago. Maybe Bowman told Toews to knock it off. Hopefully Doan is candid about the whole process.

Old
09-14-2012, 12:03 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Yeah, that is true but they have been really aggressive since day 1. I guess we'll find out how much of a factor the city was or the aggression in getting him to go there. Maybe we never had a shot but I really liked the idea of Toews convincing him. That fizzled fast. Maybe he said no chance to Chicago. Maybe Bowman told Toews to knock it off. Hopefully Doan is candid about the whole process.
He might be, and Gillis has been blatantly aggressive for sure.

But Bowman plays all of his player pursuits close to the vest. In general, it seems like we won't ever know who he's after until he wants us to know. As fans, that's one of the most frustrating things about him. Is he after someone? Isn't he? What's Bowman doing? Which direction is he trying to go? We don't know, and he won't let us know; so it's hard to say exactly how aggressive/passive he's been.

I want Doan here as much as the next guy, but if he doesn't sign here, I won't necessarily put it on Bowman's shoulders. We'll have to see how it all shakes out.