HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan (Re-signs with Yotes)

View Poll Results: Do you want Doan?
Yes , At any cost/term 3 7.50%
Yes but only at reasonable cost/term 34 85.00%
Nope 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2012, 12:38 AM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
I am almost positive that the the Kings will not sniff a repeat, with our without Doan.

It simply doesn't happen anymore. LA has become incredibly overrated in a very short time. Now that they won a Cup, people are all thinking dynasty... I don't feel it at all.
While I don't think it will happen I think it could. They are similar to the Hawks in that most if their core is young, the big differences are, they aren't going to have to gut their team and that they have the X-factor in Quick and as we have seen goaltending can carry you a long way in the play-offs.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:51 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
i haven't complained about bowman yet

I dont' want luongo

I don't want doan

I'll gladly trade any prospect or draft pick we currently have for a player in his prime

I'm giving bowman one more season because I've liked his drafting and some of his trades so far. Though, he does appear to err on the side of caution.
I like this, but I would change it to I want Luongo and I give him 2 more seasons

Quote:
Originally Posted by needle View Post
Good news. 3 years, 15M would be perfect. 2C, both ways, tough, brings leadership. Ahhhh, what am I saying? Bowman will find a way to **** it up.
this sounds bad... not perfect.

Doan is a Winger and a Winger only. If we get him, it's because Bowman was desperate to do anything and overpaid big time.

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:05 AM
Chris Hansen
THESE LEGS ARE FRESH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Psycho T View Post
While I don't think it will happen I think it could. They are similar to the Hawks in that most if their core is young, the big differences are, they aren't going to have to gut their team and that they have the X-factor in Quick and as we have seen goaltending can carry you a long way in the play-offs.
What is successful in the playoffs changes almost every year.

Kings went on a great hot streak in the playoffs and Quick played out of his mind. While they were better than a typical 8th seed for sure, they're also definitely not the powerhouse, almost generational roster that their playoff record seems to suggest.

There are 4 or 5 teams I'd take ahead of LA to win the Cup next year. I realize this is all opinion-based - it's just a gut feeling.

Chris Hansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Sevanston

Last year, Boston was said to be the next dynasty team.

Pittsburgh was also said to be the next dynasty in 2009.

I'm not saying it won't happen for LA, just that people tend to over-exaggerate the future success of recent Cup winners.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 02:44 AM
RomersWorld*

Yeah, especially considering they barely made the fricken playoffs. They have a good team, but they got hot at the perfect time. They aren't the model of success or anything.

RomersWorld* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 05:05 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

LA just proves that you need a hot Goalie and to have 2 lines that can score all the time. And they had chemistry and played as a team

Old
07-11-2012, 10:43 AM
RayP

vCash: 50
Doan said he isn't deciding till 7/16 at the earliest, now.

I can only imagine he is hoping to get a little more clarity on the Coyotes location situation, but I haven't been following that closely of late.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:30 PM
Illinihockey

Toews told a Winnipeg paper that he's been texting Doan about joining the Hawks.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:45 PM
DirkGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeydoug View Post
Again, I don't think he'll be interested in moving to Chicago.

Taken from Chris Kuc's twitter page (July 9th 3:32PM) http://twitter.com/ChrisKuc :

Shane Doan's agent, Terry Bross, said not only have ‪#Blackhawks‬ contacted them, but also that Doan has interest in joining Hawks.

DirkGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:50 PM
DirkGraham

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGraham View Post
Taken from Chris Kuc's twitter page (July 9th 3:32PM) http://twitter.com/ChrisKuc :

Shane Doan's agent, Terry Bross, said not only have ‪#Blackhawks‬ contacted them, but also that Doan has interest in joining Hawks.
Sorry for re-posting. I thought I was on the last page of this thread but wasn't. Anyway, here's "yesterday's news" if you are interested. lol

DirkGraham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 12:58 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

as player: Hell yes
as contract: not sure if I would like it. Depends on the price and if a NMC/NTC is included. Couldn't bury him, but could trade him if he declines too fast.

Just have my doubts but I would like him as player for sure

Old
07-11-2012, 01:02 PM
rick hawk

It seems that we almost all feel that we would like Doan under reasonable terms. This is exactly the dilemna that a guy like Bowman has. You want to improve the team but you don't want to overpay. Sometimes it means you end up doing nothing as a result.

rick hawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:14 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

I wouldn't care if Doan would be 34 years old

Old
07-11-2012, 01:15 PM
RayP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirkGraham View Post

Doan's agent has said this for at least 5 teams. Us, Wings, Nucks, Yotes, and Sharks all that I know off of memory. It's just posturing at this point. I still say we're 3rd on his list AT BEST. I'd put the Nucks ahead of us easily, and Yotes as well if he gets confirmation that they're staying in Phoenix for another year. Wouldn't shock me if we were about even with the Sharks.

RayP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:23 PM
Illinihockey

Almost any term for Doan for 2 years is fine because the Hawks don't have any UFA's up but Stalberg. 3 years is dicey because they have to resign Bolland and Hjalmersson after 2 years.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 01:26 PM
hockeydoug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
I wouldn't care if Doan would be 34 years old
I agree, it's a much different story if he wasn't a 35+.

If he would, by some weird turn of events, sign in Chicago, I don't think we'll like his contract after next season, and certainly not 3 years from now. I think somebody is going to offer him big (Jagr +) money for 4 or 5 years.

hockeydoug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:08 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick hawk View Post
It seems that we almost all feel that we would like Doan under reasonable terms. This is exactly the dilemna that a guy like Bowman has. You want to improve the team but you don't want to overpay. Sometimes it means you end up doing nothing as a result.
LOL ... with Stan it's not sometimes, it's pretty much always. Waiting for the perfect deal to fall into his lap is simply not going to happen. If this team is to be a SC contender "improving from within' is going to take years, if ever.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 03:09 PM
CPHawksFan
That's Hockey Baby!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Illinihockey View Post
Almost any term for Doan for 2 years is fine because the Hawks don't have any UFA's up but Stalberg. 3 years is dicey because they have to resign Bolland and Hjalmersson after 2 years.
Not necessarily, depending on how our prospects develop.

CPHawksFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:08 PM
Blue Liner

I think Doan's worth the risk on a three year deal. If one year is the difference between getting him or not, give him the extra year to make it three years. It's worth the gamble, to me, because I think he makes this team that much better while he's here.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:12 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
I think Doan's worth the risk on a three year deal. If one year is the difference between getting him or not, give him the extra year to make it three years. It's worth the gamble, to me, because I think he makes this team that much better while he's here.
If Doan was the only player available maybe. I don't understand why people are so in favor of giving Doan a 2-3 year market level contract with all the additional risks. Is it just name recognition or something? You can find a player who can have a similar overall impact for less money and/or risk.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:15 PM
ndgt10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
If You can find a player who can have a similar overall impact for less money and/or risk.
Who?

ndgt10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:23 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgt10 View Post
Who?
Andrei Kostitsyn. Top 6 forward who can score 20 goals, bring a physical presence, and will come cheaper and with less risk.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:31 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
Originally Posted by sketch22 View Post
Andrei Kostitsyn. Top 6 forward who can score 20 goals, bring a physical presence, and will come cheaper and with less risk.
Didn't say Doan was the only option, but he's a good one. If someone else can be brought aboard, I'm all for it. That said, it's not like Doan's 40 and coming off injury plagued seasons. Guy is still a very good option and brings a lot to a team.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 04:37 PM
sketch22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
Didn't say Doan was the only option, but he's a good one. If someone else can be brought aboard, I'm all for it. That said, it's not like Doan's 40 and coming off injury plagued seasons. Guy is still a very good option and brings a lot to a team.
I'm not saying he isn't a good option. I'm saying he doesn't represent a large enough upgrade over another player to justify the risks of signing him to a 2-3 year market level deal when it is a 35+ contract. If Bowman can get Doan to sign for 10 mil for 2 years without a NTC/NMC then I am all for it. But I don't believe Chicago is the top team on his list and I don't want Bowman to get involved in the inevitable bidding war.

Old
07-11-2012, 04:39 PM
Hawkaholic

Seriously? Comparing Doan to Kostitsyn.

Not only is Doan better offensively, he is a leader, he is tougher, he is a heart and soul guy, and he is better defensively. Those 2 should never be mentioned in the same breathe.

There is no one out there like Doan. The only reason I am skeptical about signing him to more than a 1-2 year deal is because of whats available next year.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote