HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Shane Doan (Re-signs with Yotes)

View Poll Results: Do you want Doan?
Yes , At any cost/term 3 7.50%
Yes but only at reasonable cost/term 34 85.00%
Nope 3 7.50%
Voters: 40. You may not vote on this poll

Old
07-11-2012, 10:59 PM
ndgt10

vCash: 500
Doubt Bowman could persuade Doan to come to Chicago. He would have to "overpay."

ndgt10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-11-2012, 11:20 PM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Overpayment for Doan is perfectly acceptable as long as it's short term. I don't see many, if any, debating that.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:43 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

2 years max

Bubba88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:38 AM
Rexy

Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Overpayment for Doan is perfectly acceptable as long as it's short term. I don't see many, if any, debating that.
except it doesn't really fill any spot that is needed. Doan doesn't play center, and he doesn't add defensive depth. Signing Doan would be for Stan to say "See? I did something!"

Just like how after Parise signed with Minny, there was a press release from Bowman saying he made a very generous offer to Parise.

Rexy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:24 AM
brtriad

Send a message via AIM to brtriad
Except it fills a top-six LW spot and provides a gritty player who can PK. That allows Stalberg to drop to the third line where he can reek havoc against lesser defensive pairings. It also doesn't force you to shove Saad in the top-six before he's proven he can handle it. Judging by 75% of the rosters people post, that's exactly what people expect.

brtriad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:26 AM
Illinihockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rexy View Post
except it doesn't really fill any spot that is needed. Doan doesn't play center, and he doesn't add defensive depth. Signing Doan would be for Stan to say "See? I did something!"

Just like how after Parise signed with Minny, there was a press release from Bowman saying he made a very generous offer to Parise.
Don't people constantly cry that the Hawks aren't physical enough and get outhit? They've been getting constantly smaller on the wing since the Cup team. He fits a huge need that the Hawks have in their top 6.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 08:29 AM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
The problem is that he'll have a very large caphit.. and, if his minutes are getting seriously decreased because he's getting worn down as a player, he'd more than likely retire.. in that case, Chicago would be stuck with whatever Doan's caphit would be on the cap in dead weight.

Like I said, I'm definately not against signing Doan.. but there are risks and it may not be worth it with the players in the system.
Now, you have him retiring. He's aging fast. Barring, injury that is highly unlikely.

And to the thought that Doan isn't what we need; no he doesn't play center but he'd certainly give Kane more space on the 2nd line. I remain convinced that Patrick Kane dangling as a centerman is the way to go, for Hawks and for Kane himself.

OT ... In fact I wouldn't mind if Stan shopped for another physical winger to play alongside Toews or put a Carcillo or a Morin, or a Beach on his wing against the more physical teams. Toews cannot be targetted (physically) like we witnessed last season.

Last edited by BobbyJet: 07-12-2012 at 08:44 AM.
BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:16 AM
Mathias
Fighting Aficionado

Would love to see Shane Doan sign in Chicago. As other has mentioned in this thread, his leadership qualities would be welcome. As well as his rugged play (combined with a knack for putting up decent amount of points). Another positive benefit would be (hopefully) that he could show players like Bickell and Stalberg how to play a "big game" regularly.

Mathias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

voting is clear. Option 2 all the way

Old
07-12-2012, 11:44 AM
hawksfan50

Even though we are apparently going to make a big bucks (even overpay)offer for DOAN
if he decides to leave PHX on the 16th---AND will use Toews to try to convine him to join us---(and they played beautifully together at the WHC a few years ago when Toews was an NHL rookie)---AND the likelihood we willbe better and hungrier this season--despite all that DOAN may decide he wants to play elsewhere (hard as it is to fathom) ...

In that case STANBOW (or even if DOAN signs with us) should go to plan D (Suter was a, then Parise B,then both C, then back to B, rejected and so now Doan is plan C---but succed or not--there is always plan D:

RAFFI TORRES! Imagine a line 4 with Carcillo and Torres! Look out opponents: hide your stars and be very afraid!... PG to SB---"ah,Stanley,I think we need ...."

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 11:47 AM
ChiHawk21

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
Even though we are apparently going to make a big bucks (even overpay)offer for DOAN
if he decides to leave PHX on the 16th---AND will use Toews to try to convine him to join us---(and they played beautifully together at the WHC a few years ago when Toews was an NHL rookie)---AND the likelihood we willbe better and hungrier this season--despite all that DOAN may decide he wants to play elsewhere (hard as it is to fathom) ...

In that case STANBOW (or even if DOAN signs with us) should go to plan D (Suter was a, then Parise B,then both C, then back to B, rejected and so now Doan is plan C---but succed or not--there is always plan D:

RAFFI TORRES! Imagine a line 4 with Carcillo and Torres! Look out opponents: hide your stars and be very afraid!... PG to SB---"ah,Stanley,I think we need ...."
the worst idea

ChiHawk21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 12:04 PM
Teravainen
LoveYouRyanNash

Quote:

No no no no no no no no and more no. Torres is a classless goon. He will never wear the Hawks sweater.

Old username: LoveYouRyanNash and DontTazMeBro
GO HAWKS!
Teravainen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:09 PM
Hawkaholic

What about something like this?

6mil, 5mil, 4mil, 2mil, 1mil

3.6mil cap hit for 5 years

or

6mil, 5mil, 4mil, 2mil,

4.25mil cap hit for 4 years

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:14 PM
MagicSlap*

I wouldn't touch a 4 or 5 year deal for Doan.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:21 PM
HawksTillDeath

the only problem is his +35 contract

so he will stay on the books even when he retires

i would go a max of 3 years

if it wasn't a 35 contract i would go long-term cause he is so damn reliable

but you can't take the risk of having a 5M cap hit on your cap when toews and kane are up for renewal and doan is at home retired

that being said i wouldn't be pissed if they over pay for him

HawksTillDeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:23 PM
madgoat33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkaholic View Post

or

6mil, 5mil, 4mil, 2mil,

anyhting over 2 years is a flat out no from me.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 01:59 PM
Bubba88
Toews = Savior

set a new deadline for the Yotes. July 16th now...
I don't think we hear anything before this. At first it was Suter/Parise slowing things down, now it's Doan.

After Doan is off the market, we know what will happen with Luongo and what the Nucks want.

For me this sounds like nobody was willing to give him the lenght he wants

Old
07-12-2012, 02:02 PM
Sarava

Quote:

or

6mil, 5mil, 4mil, 2mil,

You don't give a 5 year deal to a 35+ guy who is already showing slight signs of decline.

Sarava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 02:59 PM
Sir Psycho T
More Cowbell!

Quote:

Would love to see Bowman explain that signing to Hossa.

Sir Psycho T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:12 PM
Hawkaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagicSlap View Post
I wouldn't touch a 4 or 5 year deal for Doan.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madgoat33 View Post
anyhting over 2 years is a flat out no from me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarava View Post
You don't give a 5 year deal to a 35+ guy who is already showing slight signs of decline.
You're right, Bowman should jsut do nothing. Then you guys will ***** about that too.

He is getting a 4 year deal, you can almost book that.

If you want him, you have to pay. 3.6 until he is 40 isn't that bad...Whitney and Jagr are getting 4.5 @ 40, and Doan will be better than Jagr at 40, guaranteed.

Hawkaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 03:55 PM
madgoat33

I haven't *****ed about bowman outside the brunette and oduya signings. Was on the fence about montador, but not against it at the time. I'd rather have bowman not make a move for a guy like doan(who i think is a marginal upgrade if any) and keep options open down the road then blow his load just because he can. He's set up a youth thing with the prospects we have right now while still icing a playoff team that SHOULD be performing better(just look at those **** special teams). I'm glad he's not Kenny Williamsing the hawks. The team is in too good a position for the future to go blowing it chasing guys like doan/luongo. I'd rather he sat back and waited for the right move than do the opposite.

That said, this will be the season where I'll change my mind about him if the hawks don't do better in the playoffs.

madgoat33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 04:43 PM
MagicSlap*

Quote:
You're right, Bowman should jsut do nothing. Then you guys will ***** about that too.

He is getting a 4 year deal, you can almost book that.

If you want him, you have to pay. 3.6 until he is 40 isn't that bad...Whitney and Jagr are getting 4.5 @ 40, and Doan will be better than Jagr at 40, guaranteed.
I would not ***** at ll if Doan signs a 3.6 cap hit deal for 4years and Bowman doesn't pay him.

I would ***** if Bowman misses out on a 2 year 4-5 millino dollar deal.

Term is mor important than cap hit sometimes, especially with a 35+ contract.

MagicSlap* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:04 PM
BobbyJet
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba88 View Post
set a new deadline for the Yotes. July 16th now...
I don't think we hear anything before this. At first it was Suter/Parise slowing things down, now it's Doan.

After Doan is off the market, we know what will happen with Luongo and what the Nucks want.

For me this sounds like nobody was willing to give him the lenght he wants
Reports are he is waiting to see who will own Coyotes and if they can afford him and other players that will keep the team competitive. Staying loyal to the end. I doubt he'll want to stay there if they have a fire sale but it's looking to me like he'll remain. That would be my guess.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 06:47 PM
sketch22

vCash: 50
Quote:
I would not ***** at ll if Doan signs a 3.6 cap hit deal for 4years and Bowman doesn't pay him.
I agree. Having a front loaded contract would be counter-productive because it would encourage Doan to walk away early and the Hawks get stuck with the cap hit anyways.

Quote:
I would ***** if Bowman misses out on a 2 year 4-5 millino dollar deal.
If Doan only gets 2 years and 5 mil per or less its because he either resigned with the Yotes (who might not be able to afford more) or took a discount to go to a specific team of his choice. I highly doubt Chicago is as alluring to Doan as Pitt, Van, or Phx. If Bowman wants to bring Doan here he is going to have to be the highest bidder.

Quote:
Term is mor important than cap hit sometimes, especially with a 35+ contract.
I agree.

sketch22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-12-2012, 09:01 PM
LarmerSavardSecord

Quote:

or

6mil, 5mil, 4mil, 2mil,

That works from the hawks standpoint, as he could be shipped off to a budget/floor team in the out years if he can play at all (though a sure-NTC might make that difficult) But I don't think Doan would want to lock in the outer years at a low salary unless it was a place he saw himself staying post-retiement. Chicago is not that place it seems (but you never know, Wanny and Larry Bird just bought homes here)

LarmerSavardSecord is offline   Reply With Quote