HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Opinion: Bozak in the 2 hole?

Old
07-04-2012, 12:02 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

vCash: 500
Opinion: Bozak in the 2 hole?

How much did that title piss off all the Grabo homers? lol...

First, I love Grabo. I have his jersey. its even signed. I also have a Kulemin, not signed...yet.
I think they are both superb athletes. I also think they are the linch pins in any deal that yields a bonafide 1C. I think part of the reason Kuley isn't locked up is because doing so may limit potential suitor's interest in a trade.

So my question: if Grabo and Kuley could yield a LEGIT (as in NOT a project player) 1C, would you be OK with Bozak in the 2-hole until a guy like Kadri or Colborne emerges?

Im talking Kesler, Spezza, Backstrom, Oshie, etc.

Fire away...

Durkin67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:06 PM
devilishleafs

I think if Burke goes for a legit 1C, Bozie is on his way out.

devilishleafs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:06 PM
Rinzler

It would be tough but if the return is for a better player, then I can't argue against it. I'd be perfectly fine with Bozak filling Grabo's role.

Hard to see it happening though since we've just signed Grabo to a big extension.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:10 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
It would be tough but if the return is for a better player, then I can't argue against it. I'd be perfectly fine with Bozak filling Grabo's role.

Hard to see it happening though since we've just signed Grabo to a big extension.
Big extension by TOR standards...

Old
07-04-2012, 12:13 PM
bobbyflex

Grabo and Kuley won't fetch you a top-tier center like Spezza or Backstrom. Maybe a deal for a respectable center (eg. Stastny) might work

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:14 PM
Dayjobdave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Durkin67 View Post
How much did that title piss off all the Grabo homers? lol...

First, I love Grabo. I have his jersey. its even signed. I also have a Kulemin, not signed...yet.
I think they are both superb athletes. I also think they are the linch pins in any deal that yields a bonafide 1C. I think part of the reason Kuley isn't locked up is because doing so may limit potential suitor's interest in a trade.

So my question: if Grabo and Kuley could yield a LEGIT (as in NOT a project player) 1C, would you be OK with Bozak in the 2-hole until a guy like Kadri or Colborne emerges?

Im talking Kesler, Spezza, Backstrom, Oshie, etc.

Fire away...
Grabo and Kuli for Kessler would be fun...

although you know, Grabo is a much better player than we all seem to want to give him credit for. If he ever has a season where he plays the bulk of the year the way he plays when he's hot, he'll be a star.

Dayjobdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:21 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyflex View Post
Grabo and Kuley won't fetch you a top-tier center like Spezza or Backstrom. Maybe a deal for a respectable center (eg. Stastny) might work
Agreed. It wasn't a proposal. But any deal for a player of that calibre would likely include those two. More would be needed to get it done. Its more about gauging comfort level with Bozak in the 2 hole.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:24 PM
emackulate

i like bozak. good chemistry with kessel and lupul. but with grabo signing, it seems unlikely. i've thought about this before, completely changing the second line. values might be off but if we kept bozak in the 2-hole, the leafs could go after stastny for something like mac, gunnar and a 2nd. they need a top 6 winger, a top 4 d and a pick. if say that were to happen, i would definitely go hard after nash (not just because he's one of my favourite players ). nash would have his centre and you could put anyone of JVR, frattin, or kadri on the other side. the top 6 would look like this:

nash - stastny - JVR/frattin/kadri
lupul - bozak - kessel

unfortunately, phaneuf wouldn't have anyone to play with (assuming phaneuf switches to the left side) unless holtzer has a really good camp, but then again he might not be able to play top 2 minutes, or komi, but we all know what this board's opinion of that is lol.

emackulate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:24 PM
bobbyflex

Quote:
Agreed. It wasn't a proposal. But any deal for a player of that calibre would likely include those two. More would be needed to get it done. Its more about gauging comfort level with Bozak in the 2 hole.
i'd be ok with it. I think Bozie can consistently put up 50ish points with good wingers.

bobbyflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:25 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dayjobdave View Post
Grabo and Kuli for Kessler would be fun...

although you know, Grabo is a much better player than we all seem to want to give him credit for. If he ever has a season where he plays the bulk of the year the way he plays when he's hot, he'll be a star.
Agreed. Love Grabo's effort level, and skill. But a top centre would make me forget him. Personally, Bozak at 2C with good, industrious wingers like Mac and JVR is OK with me until Kadri or Jumbo make the jump...who knows, if a deal like this were to go down (I think it might) Bozak could be moved by the deadline if one of the kids show they are ready to jump in.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:29 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
I wouldn't trade Grabo + Kulemin for Kesler. I don't think Kesler is that much better than Grabo to justify giving up Kulemin.

I would however, trade Grabo + Kulemin for Getzlaf. To be honest, I think that is pretty fair value.

Bravid Nonahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:35 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I wouldn't trade Grabo + Kulemin for Kesler. I don't think Kesler is that much better than Grabo to justify giving up Kulemin.

I would however, trade Grabo + Kulemin for Getzlaf. To be honest, I think that is pretty fair value.
Agreed. Especially considering the lack of term on Getz' deal. ANA apparently are big Grabo fans as well. Id want to see an extension agreed to before camp, a la Jordan Staal with Carolina...less term, but something like 6 years, 7 million. He's worth that much to Toronto.

Old
07-04-2012, 12:41 PM
Bravid Nonahan
carlylol = القسوة

Send a message via AIM to Bravid Nonahan
I'd give Getzlaf 8 years 56 million. 7 mil a season, locks him up until he is what, 34?

Bravid Nonahan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 12:59 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Amazing Ralph View Post
I'd give Getzlaf 8 years 56 million. 7 mil a season, locks him up until he is what, 34?
As long as you're willing to go there with Kessel in 2 years, agreed. This is the kind of money and term its going to take to build a winner, going forward. I hope Burke adapts...

Old
07-04-2012, 01:09 PM
Dangles McGavin
RIP Lounge

I'd be perfectly fine with Bozak as the 2C. He'd do fine on the second line.

Getzlaf our whole second line? lol. I'm down.

Dangles McGavin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:21 PM
BigWilly

vCash: 100
Unless Anaheim is positive Getzlaf won't resign, they would never do this though. They would be left with no 1C. And if they do do this, think around what Jordan Staal got +

I think the Framework Would be:
Grabovski
Kadri
1st 2013

Just my opinion, but it would take a lot to pry a superstar like Getz away from Anaheim. An A prospect, a strong 2C, and a pick. And yes, make no mistake, Getz is a superstar.

BigWilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:37 PM
DionPhaneuf3

No. the only thing bozak has going for him is his faceoffs. poor skater, poor passer and i don't think theres another player that missed more empty nets than him. He's a third liner at best.

DionPhaneuf3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:48 PM
hotpaws

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
No. the only thing bozak has going for him is his faceoffs. poor skater, poor passer and i don't think theres another player that missed more empty nets than him. He's a third liner at best.
Pretty much this , Bozak is filler until we can find an upgrade . I give him credit for his hard work and decent iq but there's just not much there .

hotpaws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 01:51 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JVReemer View Post
Unless Anaheim is positive Getzlaf won't resign, they would never do this though. They would be left with no 1C. And if they do do this, think around what Jordan Staal got +

I think the Framework Would be:
Grabovski
Kadri
1st 2013

Just my opinion, but it would take a lot to pry a superstar like Getz away from Anaheim. An A prospect, a strong 2C, and a pick. And yes, make no mistake, Getz is a superstar.
Theres not enough term on his deal to warrant this type of asking price.

Old
07-04-2012, 01:52 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DionPhaneuf3 View Post
disagree. Good forechecker, rounding into a solid 2 way guy...

Old
07-04-2012, 01:55 PM
Run705
The705Collection

I'd rather keep Kuley over Mac any day of the week. Unless Kulemin wants a ridiculous contract then ship him out lol

Run705 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 02:34 PM
hockeyfanz

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotpaws View Post
Pretty much this , Bozak is filler until we can find an upgrade . I give him credit for his hard work and decent iq but there's just not much there .
Yes, I agree. I think he is just a newer version of Matt Stajan. Stajan might have been a better playmaker but Bozak a better skater. Similar, IMO. Stop-gap. I wouldn't be surprised at all if he does not start the season in a Leaf uniform.

hockeyfanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:00 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

I think any deal involving a #1C Bozak or Grabo is on the way out.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 03:08 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
Quote:
Theres not enough term on his deal to warrant this type of asking price.
Staal just got a top 10 pick + Sutter + 2nd round prospect so yea there is that price at minimum for Getzlaf.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
07-04-2012, 04:23 PM
Durkin67
Leaf Opinionist

Quote:
Originally Posted by -DeMo- View Post
Staal just got a top 10 pick + Sutter + 2nd round prospect so yea there is that price at minimum for Getzlaf.
I think Rutherford overpaid on that deal to keep Eric happy in Carolina. I don't think thats the asking price for a good player with one year left on their deal. Im trying to think of a more relevant comparable.