HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Capitals Free Agency III (Capital Hillen Edition)

Closed Thread

Old
07-05-2012, 12:25 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoAO View Post
How many goals did we score as a team in the entire playoffs?

6? 7?
He was playing with an elite center against secondary defense. One of the reasons we scored so few goals in the postseason is Semin.

Old
Stewie G

Quote:
Originally Posted by NobodyBeatsTheWiz View Post
So, how many teams have 30-40 goal wingers on their second line?

And Brooks 'average grinder' Laich scored 25 goals in a season with who, exactly, centering him?
Laich lived on PP goals. Take those away and you get a guy who has averaged 12.5 ES goals the last 5 seasons. Chimera has averaged 14 ES goals his last 6 full seasons and will cost almost $3M less the next 2 years. Just because Laich is the best option of currently rostered players for 2LW doesn't mean he's a good fit there. He'd be a good 3LW at about $2M less per season but the Caps already have that player in Chimera.

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

I love how selective the memories of the SDF are. 14 games is the only sample size we EVER saw with Semin and Backstrom. What a hoot. 5 years of practices and game time and Semin showed next to no chemistry with Backstrom EVER. Face it, Semin is a guy who can and does produce mostly on his own, regardless of his linemates.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:26 PM
aquablue

Quote:
It's almost as if I'm looking at reality.
Ha, there is no one reality when you are dealing with future possibilities. Come back next time with a better response.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:27 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by strungout View Post
Youre the one with the ****ing blinders on.
He's the one denying that having Semin on Ribeiro's wing would give us a better hockey team than having Laich and Brouwer there?

I'd think the people who have completely discounted him as a hockey player because blaming all failures of the team on him makes things easier to process are the ones with the blinders.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:28 PM
aquablue

The Semin haters on here are ridiculous. Watch them eat their words when Semin is flying down the ice on Sid's wing, putting the puck between the legs of a hapless Hotby.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:29 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
I love how selective the memories of the SDF are. 14 games is the only sample size we EVER saw with Semin and Backstrom. What a hoot. 5 years of practices and game time and Semin showed next to no chemistry with Backstrom EVER. Face it, Semin is a guy who can and does produce mostly on his own, regardless of his linemates.
Or some people have chemistry with some players and don't have chemistry with other players...

Old
07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewie G View Post
Laich lived on PP goals. Take those away and you get a guy who has averaged 12.5 ES goals the last 5 seasons. Chimera has averaged 14 ES goals his last 6 full seasons and will cost almost $3M less the next 2 years. Just because Laich is the best option of currently rostered players for 2LW doesn't mean he's a good fit there. He'd be a good 3LW at about $2M less per season but the Caps already have that player in Chimera.
It's almost as if you're looking at reality.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:30 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by CapitalsCupFantasy View Post
We traded for Mike Ribeiro not too long ago.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:36 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Youre the one with the ****ing blinders on.
Is our lineup better right now with or without Semin? Be honest.

The "SDF" isn't about "defending Semin" it's about knowing we have a much better roster if we have Semin with a ****ing 2C.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:38 PM
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablue View Post
The Semin haters on here are ridiculous. Watch them eat their words when Semin is flying down the ice on Sid's wing, putting the puck between the legs of a hapless Hotby.
Eat words? I've already said I expect Semin to go somewhere and put up his points. In fact I don't think anyone expects Semin to go elsewhere and fail miserably.

It's simply time to move on and go in a different direction instead of failing over and over again with a guy who doesn't seem to fit the longterm core plans of the team.

Semin wants a big/longterm deal. Caps have thankfully passed on that boat anchor...

Old
07-05-2012, 12:39 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

The question isn't whether the Capitals are better with Semin and his 40 goals or with nothing (making due with current personnel). The question is whether the Caps would be better off with Semin and his 40 goals, or by migrating to someone else to play those minutes and produce with those minutes (probably at fewer goals and points). Replace the production while changing the team culture.

Would it be wise to let him go and stand pat? Not in the short term, to me. Could it be helpful to add someone else, even a player whose likely production falls short of 40 goals? Maybe so. There are a lot of ways to get there, and several tiers at which you can look (elite, mediocre, role player) and various costs to pay (free agency, trade, etc.)

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it's purely a case of addition by subtraction. Most who would like to see the team move on want the Caps to move on to someone else at the wing.

I do agree that letting him go, and entering the season without another winger would be an avoidable mistake. I think it's still early in the offseason, though. That player is still out there.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:41 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braden Carlzner View Post
To play against? Without.

I think its better with an actual point producing 2nd line center as compared to an enigmatic winger that disappears when it counts. Its about team building to me. Will they have fewer goals from the 2nd line RW now? Sure. But will the team be better overall...I think they will be.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:42 PM
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post
The question isn't whether the Capitals are better with Semin and his 40 goals or with nothing (making due with current personnel). The question is whether the Caps would be better off with Semin and his 40 goals, or by migrating to someone else to play those minutes and produce with those minutes (probably at fewer goals and points). Replace the production while changing the team culture.

Would it be wise to let him go and stand pat? Not in the short term, to me. Could it be helpful to add someone else, even a player whose likely production falls short of 40 goals? Maybe so. There are a lot of ways to get there, and several tiers at which you can look (elite, mediocre, role player) and various costs to pay (free agency, trade, etc.)

I don't think anyone is suggesting that it's purely a case of addition by subtraction. Most who would like to see the team move on want the Caps to move on to someone else at the wing.

I do agree that letting him go, and entering the season without another winger would be an avoidable mistake. I think it's still early in the offseason, though.
Why do we have to replace his production...?
Ribeiro adds to his production, and ups it...

Old
07-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Carlzner

Quote:

I think its better with an actual point producing 2nd line center as compared to an enigmatic winger that disappears when it counts. Its about team building to me. Will they have fewer goals from the 2nd line RW now? Sure. But will the team be better overall...I think they will be.
How do you know Ribeiro will produce with Brouwer and Laich?

Last year he played with Eriksson and Ryder... Two completely different players than the grinders that will be with Ribs next year.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:45 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
Why do we have to replace his production...?
Ribeiro adds to his production, and ups it...
You're being facetious, but yes, to a large degree Ribeiro is going to rack up a good number of Semin's erstwhile points.

It's still a team that is a top-six winger shy of a complete roster. That addition doesn't need to be an All-Star player, necessarily. A $2.5M winger capable of 45-55 points would be sufficient. Might they look at a better option than that? Hard to say. Such player are out there, but only on trade markets. Lesser players are still available in free agency.

Old
CapitalsCupFantasy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:

The "SDF" isn't about "defending Semin" it's about knowing we have a much better roster if we have Semin with a ****ing 2C.
There's a big difference in "better team" and "more talented roster". Just ask the Eagles from last season.

As Drake said, this is about changing the culture of the team. It's early July and the SDF is panicing that the Caps won't replace that Semin production. If they don't it's once again on McPhee. Arrogance wins Cups!

Old
Cappy76

Send a message via AIM to Cappy76 Send a message via MSN to Cappy76
For the love of god Mcphee can you please sign someone so we can stop having this never ending loop about Semin stop?

Old
07-05-2012, 12:46 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
How do you know Ribeiro will produce with Brouwer and Laich?
We don't.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:47 PM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
with changing the culture u mean back from hunterhockey to rngun ? if yes its another pro to sign semin

Old
Carlzner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drake1588 View Post

It's still a team that is a top-six winger shy of a complete roster. That addition doesn't need to be an All-Star player, necessarily. A $2.5M winger capable of 45-55 points would be sufficient. Might they look at a better option? Hard to say.
That's exactly what I think.
... But who is that? Trading for one opens up more holes.

Semin is right there, for free, and we have the money to sign him.

Old
Stewie G

Quote:

You answered half his question. Not surprising which half you took a swing at, but let's take a look at the whole picture.

Semin isn't bad defensively, is a good/very good PKer, and can be an elite scorer. Assuming the rest of the roster stays the same, do you think his flaws are bad enough that the Caps would be a better team without him on it?

Old
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

Quote:
Blinders.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:48 PM
Langway
Intangibles

Quote:
There's absolutely no doubt in my mind that the 2nd line is better right now than it was all of last season. Could it stand to improve? Sure. But thinking it's nothing but a lateral move is a bit bonkers to me.
It depends on if the forwards are capable of being better away from the puck and executing with better overall offensive structure. Having a center in Ribeiro can be somewhat wasted if there isn't the necessary chemistry and hockey IQ established. It's that aspect that makes it difficult to evaluate on paper, esp. given coaching turnover.

I have hope that Oates will be able to bring the sort of attention to detail to make the forward lines click but I don't expect him to be a miracle worker. Given that teams are largely locked in from the start of the season until the deadline they owe it to Oates to have more options through the first ~60 games.
Quote:
Originally Posted by third man in View Post
How many teams have 30-40 goal scoters on the second line?
Just in the East: Boston, Philadelphia and Pittsburgh. Y'know, contenders. That list could very well increase if Semin remains in the East and Nash/Ryan also come East. If they want to hang with the big boys to go deep they need another weapon or else they'll once again largely have to rely on defensive consistency making a difference. It doesn't necessarily have to be a 40-goal guy...a reliable upper 20's to mid 30's will do.

Old
07-05-2012, 12:50 PM
Drake1588
UNATCO

Quote:
That's exactly what I think.
... But who is that? Trading for one opens up more holes.

I think the money is a lot tighter than you suggest, to be honest. I don't think they signed Ribeiro with the idea that there was still room for Semin's salary. That dude is going to make bank, and what is more worrisome, he's going to get a major commitment out of whoever does so. I suspect he's not settling for less than $7M/yr and five plus years. I think they only took on the Ribeiro salary because they knew the Semin salary would not be on the books.

It's free to add a free agent, but it's $7M on the books. Make a trade, and you get a cheaper player, and send salary back the other way.

McPhee likes his teams to have room at the deadline. Last year didn't seem to sit right with him. Even assuming a free hand from Leonsis, I doubt McPhee emulates that model. I think he's going to leave cap room for deadline additions.

Closed Thread